4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,718 posts
  • 492 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by Chosen_S
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,784 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

31E3A6A4-15DA-4E6C-B0A4-06EA6700B71B (resized).jpeg
DEF605A0-C33F-4B4C-B639-610CF030E286 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200114_063121989 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200105_141326314 (resized).jpg
20200121_151632 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200119_210501040 (resized).jpg
IMG_0802 (resized).jpg
Space Duel (resized).jpg
IMG_0796 (resized).jpg
IMG_0795 (resized).jpg
IMG_0793 (resized).jpg
IMG_0792 (resized).jpg
arcade cr1 (resized).jpg
arcade cr2 (resized).jpg
20181102_210826_1541218358259_001 (resized).jpg
20181102_211013 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#288 4 years ago

Hey PACMAN, you ever come across a Cal. 50? I'm always asking people who like rotary stick games if they've played it and it's apparently more rare than I realized, most haven't even heard of it.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

I see them now and then, there was one up in Corona a few months ago. Never played one but it looks interesting. I also have NOS art for Cal .50. It wouldn't be hard to convert any rotary game to a Cal.50, just need the artwork.

I believe they used a different rotary setup than most of the other games, so might not be an easy conversion. It's been years since I've played one, so hard to know what I'd think of it now, but I remember it being pretty fun.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Interesting, looks just like the LS30's that are on Ikari, just green. So instead of clicking into position it spins freely?

It's been too many years since I've played one to remember, but I'm pretty sure epthegeek is right and it's an optical system. That certainly makes it sound like they spin more freely.

According to KLOV:

"The joysticks look similar to the LS-30 variety used for games such as Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel, and Time Soldiers, but they are different. The Loop-24 joysticks have a four-pin connector on the bottom of the stick that connects directly to the game board."

1 month later
#403 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Wish I had the room for that

I wish I had room for that too! Except then I'd fill that room with pins instead.

2 months later
#638 4 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

i've been on the hunt for this game for the last 5 years or so. so stoked to finally have a ninja warriors, now i just gotta get all the monitors fixed! haha....

Nice! I was just reminiscing about this game the other day on a trip out to Banning to the museum. I haven't seen one of those in decades. Very cool find.

I'd love to play Ninja Warriors and Cal. 50, neither of which are particularly common apparently.

#647 4 years ago
Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

I mos def think that john needs a .50 caliber and a ninja warriors for his arcade expo

Now you're talking!

1 year later
#1230 3 years ago

That sit down RoadBlasters is sick.

I absolutely love the classics you guys are into, I was born in 77, I grew up playing a lot of it, really nice stuff. Right now I'm off in the other direction, my only vid is an Astro City (sit down Japanese cab, a "candy cab" if you're not familiar) I'm running a Darksoft CPS2 and a kick harness for the extra row of buttons. I play a lot of Street Fighter Alpha 3 on it, right now I'm playing Pro Gear, which is a great kind of steam punky Cave shooter. And it's horizontal, so I don't have to mess with tating the monitor.

I'm acquiring the parts to do a Darksoft CPS3 board, will mostly play Third Strike on it, but why not have access to funky fighters like the Jojo games and Warzard/Red Earth too?

I can get another candy cab, just debating if I have the space. Would love to single player control panel them both and link them.

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

4 months later
#1283 2 years ago

Some of my candy cabs. Have a couple more Astro Cities too. IMG_5496 (resized).JPG

#1284 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Marble Madness is great for nostalgic purposes but I would never own one. You will play it for a couple hours, beat it, and never play it again.

That's honestly my problem with most classic vids. Why I prefer generic cabs where I can easily swap the PCBs around, or run multiboards.

3 weeks later
#1383 2 years ago

Got a Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting board coming my way, stoked to spend some time with one of my fav classics, it's been ages. I already have boards for Super Turbo through Third Strike, and multiple platforms for SFIV and SFV, so this is the last missing piece.

1 week later
#1444 2 years ago

Original cabs are very cool, but I'm a player, not a collector, and I just care about getting the real PCB game experience. My candy cabs switch up, right now I'm running Wyvern Wings, Bubble Bobble, Street Fighter Alpha 2, and SFIII Third Strike.

Tomorrow I might switch Third Strike to Hyper Fighting, Alpha 3 to Progear, Bubble Bobble to Puzzle Bobble, and Wyvern Wings to Espgaluda.

I like variety and also games from eras where they didn't have dedicated cabs. fun to mix it up as the mood strikes me.

IMG_5602 (resized).JPG

IMG_5604 (resized).JPG

#1449 2 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Good luck playing Spy Hunter, Paperboy, Tron, frontline, tempest, missile command, any driving game, etc. though.

Yeah, I'd want original cabs for all of those, but I also don't actually have any desire to own them. Maybe in some perfect world where I had unlimited space. I'd have kept the pins I sold to make room for candy cabs then too. So it goes.

2 weeks later
#1506 2 years ago

+1 for Mike's Arcade, they ship fast and carry lots of obscure parts and fasteners and things that are a huge pain to source yourself.

1 week later
#1524 2 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

A 2nd SFII:CE Turbo Hyper. You can never have too many.

I like the cut of your jib.

4 months later
#1663 2 years ago

Linked some of my Astro cabs for head to head Third Strike.

IMG_6101 (resized).JPG

4 months later
#1785 2 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

I was big into restoring video games before getting hooked on pins. Once I finished the basement I finally had space to put together my dream lineup.

That Big Blue with ST is sweet.

Those Pandora's Boxes are a get what you pay for deal. They're cheap Chinese bootleg games. Some will run fine, some will have minor issues you might not notice, some will be sketchier. They don't always work with existing Jamma harnesses. You can find adapters to help with that. Personally I'd avoid, but so long as you go in eyes wide open there's no reason to not mess with them if you're curious.

#1789 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It's in the auction listing, check the last pictures. I had a Pandora 4 long time ago but hated it because it had screen tearing. I wonder if this Pandora 5s fixed that?

I doubt it, these boxes are about quantity over quality. But people are pretty good about doing YouTube reviews, check out how things look when they're running. But yeah, if things like screen tearing or inaccurate sound bother you then I'd avoid.

#1797 2 years ago

I've lost all my interest in emulation, real hardware is much more interesting. I've got more games and things to do than time, so the whole "but you could have 3000 games at your fingertips" thing doesn't really mean much. But if you're not an arcade geek and just want to play some games it's pretty amazing.

#1808 2 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I think for anyone who is really into arcade games (plays a few hours a week) you really do yourself a disservice with a multi board and should really use a PC for mame or raspberry pi. This is merely my opinion though. Many people don’t like to handle configuring games and stuff. It’s all personal preference.

If you're really into arcade games you really do yourself a disservice with emulation, and should get some real PCBs. That is merely my opinion though.

(I'm just having fun, I totally get the emulation appeal, I've done it.)

#1827 2 years ago
Quoted from Nexyss:

Emulation may not be perfect, but you can have a lot of fun playing the emulated games.

This is the bottom line, you can have lots of fun. Don't let anyone ruin your fun, just play and have a good time.

If you're serious about gameplay then it matters. I'm a Street Fighter player. Emulation isn't the same as real hardware. The frames matter. But if you're not a serious player you won't notice or care.

Don't mock people who do care, because the differences are real, and not about being a snob, just don't worry about it if that stuff doesn't matter to you.

#1841 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Donkey Kong was my favorite game growing up and I played it a lot. I have played the original at a few locations in the past year and now have a 60 in 1 in my home.
I can’t tell that there is much of a difference. Those saying the game play on the 60 in 1’s is completely different and off are exaggerating. There may be some subtle things here and there but they are hardly noticeable, even to someone like me that loved DK growing up.

I'm sure it's fine. Plenty of games work fine. Older ones especially, they're simpler and pretty much solved. If it feels fine to you don't look for issues, just play it and enjoy it. Probably the worst thing is has is a frame or two of input delay that you're not even noticing.

The broken stuff is generally fairly obvious. Screen tearing for instance. That's personally filed under 'unplayable' for me.

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I love playing with a larger group, but there just weren't that many opportunities.

This. Do you love the idea of playing with 4 people on your cab? Sure you do. Are you going to do it regularly enough that having a big ass control panel cluttered with buttons and sticks makes actual sense? Only you can answer that.

My personal experience is most people who build those big ass panels don't see them used. You might be an exception, in which case have a great time with your friends.

#1884 2 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

I have a really nice Tempest but is was kind of before my time.

Amazing game still, nothing else quite looks like those vector monitors. If you want to know more about your game this is a great and easy read:

https://arcadeblogger.com/2018/01/19/atari-tempest-dave-theurers-masterpiece/

6 months later
#2158 1 year ago

I checked out the cabs at Evo this weekend, I think they're fine for what they are. Get what you pay for and all that. Not for me, but if you're on a budget for a little toy cab I think they'll fit the bill.IMG_7496 (resized).JPG

5 months later
#2299 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My arcade collection consists of a modest three games: A Taito Groove Coaster, a Nintendo R-Type, and an Arcade Legends with about 250 titles on it ...

Does the Groove Coaster work okay offline? I've been learning how to deal with all the Konami e-Amusement network issues if you want to use their cabs in the US and it's definitely a pain the ass. Seems like everything expects a network these days.

#2303 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My game appears to be running the stock Japanese arcade software. I have seen some Groove Coasters at cons running a newer English version of the software with everything unlocked. If you know anyone who can help me with that, I'd greatly appreciate the lead.
I'm currently looking for a nice Jubeat, but they are pretty hard to come by over here.

I don’t know anything about Taito’s security setup, just the Bemani stuff.

Our local importer gets Jubeats, if I see him get more I can let you know. Shipping will suck I’m sure, but where you are that’s life I guess heh. They need hacks to work even offline though.

#2305 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Are you referring to KC? If so, that's who I bought my Groove Coaster from.

Ah, figures heh.

#2310 1 year ago

gweempose My friend was out at KC's yesterday to look at a Sound Voltex and he said he still has one Jubeat FYI.

#2320 12 months ago

Retroelectronik is garbage, avoid it.

Parsec looks promising, he's building the 1.1 versions now, not sure how soon they'll be ready. Not a lot of real world feedback on it yet, but he seems to be doing things right.

If you want imo the best option (what I use personally) get on the HAS pre-order list here: https://homearcadesystem.wordpress.com/pre-order/ But it might be some months before you can get one.

It's a niche market, and the good options are hobbyist level projects, so you can't always get one fast. I'd be patient over getting crap though. Parsec is likely available before HAS though.

#2322 12 months ago

Arcade power supplies are cheap. $25 and done. But yes, some will work fine with ATX. I don't know why but some supergun makers don't like ATX as much. I just use an arcade power supply. And yes, -5v is there.

1 week later
#2326 11 months ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Scrolled through and was glad to see a handful of candy cab owners here. Currently all Taito myself, Egret 2, Egret 3, and a Vewlix. Will try to post a photo soon.

Egret 2 is a nice cab.

I’m contemplating adding a couple Vewlixes to my cabs, but haven’t really talked myself into it. Harder to justify than CRT cabs as far as actually providing something. But I’d still like to link a couple.

#2329 11 months ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Took me a long time to talk myself into it to, just got it this past fall. Have a X2 with all the games in there and have it set up to play a ps4 but I haven’t popped one in there yet.

Oh nice, you're running the X2 multi over JVS?

Quoted from Pale_Purple:

have it set up to play a ps4 but I haven’t popped one in there yet

I'd just put a PC in. The Taito Type X stuff is cool, but honestly any game I'd want to run on it I already have on my PC, plus plenty of others. Staying arcade pure for the modern LCD stuff just isn't that important to me.

Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I kinda want another one to do vert since they are a huge pain to rotate

You've got an Egret 2! One of the best rotation mechs out there. And there's not much use really for a 16:9 vertical screen.

Quoted from Pale_Purple:

There is a guy on Ebay in China that usually has a hand full of astros and net cities and sometimes blasts. His store is down now for Chinese New Year but will be back up next week. Shipping isn’t cheap but if you get a few maybe it’d be worth it? I haven’t used him and some of the cabs looks dirty but they’re cheap. I’ll come back here and link when he is back online.

I'd avoid, too many horror stories about those Chinese cabs. Just deal with KC, he'll ship anywhere.

1 month later
#2415 10 months ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Just finished up a custom project making The Big Lebowski Bowl-o-Rama out a of a Namco Rockin' Bowl-o-Rama:

Oh nice, I just watched your video breakdown of it this weekend, great job.

2 months later
#2524 7 months ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

After doing a search in this topic, I was saddened that nobody has a Splatterhouse. I'm sad that I also do not.

I saw a PCB for sale in another forum the other day. I didn't care to spend $1000 to buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 79.00
$ 128.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 28.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 24.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Pro
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 36.99
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside