IMG_2065 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2066 (resized).jpeg
20240313_195826 (resized).jpg
IMG_0071 (resized).JPG
IMG_0075 (resized).JPG
IMG_0084 (resized).JPG
IMG_0090 (resized).JPG
IMG_0083 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1794 6 years ago

I'm using an NVIDIA Shield and Hyperspin for my setup.

I have a dedicated cabinet that goes to sleep like your phone. Wiggle the joystick and it wakes up.

I've also got additional Shields connected to TVs around the house with the Hyperspin data on my NAS (network storage, shared 4TB of media/games)

#1804 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've lost all my interest in emulation, real hardware is much more interesting. I've got more games and things to do than time, so the whole "but you could have 3000 games at your fingertips" thing doesn't really mean much. But if you're not an arcade geek and just want to play some games it's pretty amazing.

I've got a dozen dedicated games - particularly my absolute favorite games that ALSO have unusual controls... but they take up a ton of space. I'm only willing to deal with the maintenance expense for a small select few titles.

One of the best things about emulation is the variety of different games. It's a TON of fun just quickly looking at the thousands of games made over the years. Finding a great game you've never seen before is a blast. With my Shield setup (linked above), it's really easy to 'explore'.

#1814 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I think emulation can lose it's appeal by each one of these:
1. You're running a pi box with home game controllers not arcade controls like a real joystick, trackball, spinner (that's me right now)
2. It's not in a real cabinet but using your TV as the monitor (that's me right now)
3. Whatever menu interface frontend you chose isn't user friendly (I'm running retropie which is nice)
4. You have WAY too many dam games loaded. So many you get overwhelmed and give up (this is also me because I downloaded a pre-made image file).

For the arcade cabinet using the Shield TV, I've connected a spinner, trackball, and arcade controls using UHID from Ultimarc. It works very well. Anyone considering similar path, you'll want the custom UHID firmware update that adds support for Android home/back/volume buttons. 99% of retro games are well-served by this cabinet. In addition, I can play new Android games (Crossy Road, Pacman 256, Zen Pinball, etc.) and PC games streamed from my PC or NVIDIA's netflix-like gaming service (Nex Machina!)

For certain, very special games, I justified the dedicated upright (Mad Planets, Robotron, 2pWarlords, Strike Zone baseball, Sinistar, 4pTrog, etc.)

#1842 6 years ago

If you are aiming for a world record, you should dedicate the space for the real game. Otherwise, I think the majority of people will prefer the variety that a good, quality multi-game can provide. I have a dozen dedicated games I LOVE, but I'm the only who plays them. My friends and family would rather play Frogger or Pacman or Galaga.

I have no experience with the company you linked buy I do know that https://dreamauthentics.com/ make a quality product.

My suggestions are:

-focus your attention on quality control panel parts
-a trackball is nice, but very few games use it (if you use a PC for mouse as well)
-a spinner and flight stick clutter the control panel and very few games use them
-avoid 4p panels (too big, expensive, rarely used)
-go with 4:3 LCD if 19"
-if you are capable, avoid X in 1 boards and setup the computer/software yourself -- and in this case, look for used MAME cabinets on craigslist

#1844 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Having owned a 60/1 for about a year now, I haven't found anything that could be called unplayable. All of the games play fine. The main issue I've noticed is the music on Gyruss is horribly distorted. The game is still perfectly playable if you can get past that.
Bashing the 60/1 is a popular pastime on gaming forums. Some of the negative comments are justified(ie the sound). Much of it is hearsay. All in all, it's a nice option for the casual gaming enthusiast that can't convert their basement into a full blown arcade.

I love my MAME cabinet but I wouldn't be satisfied with the X-in-1 boards I've seen. They must be using old/slow hardware since it's some of the worst emulation I've seen. The value is convenience and they work on a route.

For home, an Rpi solution would probably offer higher quality if a PC is too expensive.

#1850 6 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

In my option, yes. If you like a lot of maze games like pac man you need the four way. The eight way is just prone to missing the turns.

I am torn on this. I agree it's really nice for certain games but putting it in a comfortable location didn't work with my control panel (so I rarely use it). I haven't tried the switchable controls but if those are nice, that would be ideal.

3 weeks later
#1949 6 years ago

I would pay serious $ to see PACMAN 's face when his guests say "that's nice, but do you have a centipede or galaga?"

1 year later
#2509 4 years ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

dedicated trog.. cool! whats the serial number on it?

And it has the white paper instructions below the monitor! Mine is missing (empty glass hole) and I've been unable to find any scans of it.
Someone (Galloping Ghost?) brought a nice Trog (with the instructions paper) to the Chicago pinfest and I took photos of it.
I'll find someone to remake it for me at some point.

1 month later
#2547 4 years ago

I've got

Zoo Keeper
Sinistar
Juno First
Mad Planets
Warlords (upright)
Robotron (marquee)
Tempest
Ms. Pac Man
Trog
Star Wars
Minefield (Stern)
Strike Zone
World Series (bartop)
Double Play (bartop)

#2553 4 years ago
Quoted from nascarrey:

Oooooh….Sinistar! "I live!"

While the haters will point out it's not "OG factory", the 10" subwoofer I added is awesome.

3 years later
#3829 1 year ago

Long shot, but anyone have a Mr. Do! that isn't seeing much play anymore and would be willing to let it go?

C66276EB-55CE-4385-B4E5-4B29E71277B0 (resized).jpegC66276EB-55CE-4385-B4E5-4B29E71277B0 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#4093 11 months ago

Finally found one! My arcade is nearly complete!

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Reznnate.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-arcade-games-do-you-own?tu=Reznnate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.