4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,668 posts
  • 485 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by Cam
  • Topic is favorited by 100 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,755 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A2736272-45FB-47F2-A824-E8A1A444965F (resized).jpeg
BE870CD1-C4C0-474C-A61A-E112B01E5D0B (resized).jpeg
EE3E6A2F-DE55-42D5-9CEA-DE1B30B2E8C3 (resized).jpeg
0_1117191805b (resized).jpg
1117191804 (resized).jpg
20191027_185945 (resized).jpg
IMG_4177 (resized).jpg
IMG_4176 (resized).jpg
IMG_4175 (resized).jpg
1D2C9859-34E5-4465-B253-3500FFB523A2 (resized).jpeg
WFge3mIkQ8eR7rmlxAWxTw (resized).jpg
7JnD5x4BSwmVtyJHix2gSg (resized).jpg
rLmgkzJsQp2spCHqjACPSg (resized).jpg
PH4nvosCSSqsLxWMMKmCvA (resized).jpg
IMGA0113 (resized).JPG
IMGA0108 (resized).JPG

There are 2668 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 54.
#1851 1 year ago

The switchable joysticks work well. Depending on what style you get, you may have to open up the control panel to switch. They make a couple that can be switched from above, but they're on the pricey side.

#1852 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I am torn on this. I agree it's really nice for certain games but putting it in a comfortable location didn't work with my control panel (so I rarely use it). I haven't tried the switchable controls but if those are nice, that would be ideal.

The mag stick works well. Allows you to switch easily from 4 way to 8 way.

#1853 1 year ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

The mag stick works well. Allows you to switch easily from 4 way to 8 way.

Yeah, just pull up the joy, give it a quarter turn until it stops you and the spring pulls it back down. Done!

It is $37 but mine has been great for years. But if I HAD to complain, I wish it came with a ball-top instead of the standard handle. An extra $14 that I have yet to splurge on, darnit.

#1854 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

So I get an emoji and a don't do it response. Care to expand on don't do it just a bit?
Crappy product?
Crappy company?
Just a dislike of mames?

Quoted from Reznnate:

If you are aiming for a world record, you should dedicate the space for the real game. Otherwise, I think the majority of people will prefer the variety that a good, quality multi-game can provide. I have a dozen dedicated games I LOVE, but I'm the only who plays them. My friends and family would rather play Frogger or Pacman or Galaga.
I have no experience with the company you linked buy I do know that https://dreamauthentics.com/ make a quality product.
My suggestions are:
-focus your attention on quality control panel parts
-a trackball is nice, but very few games use it (if you use a PC for mouse as well)
-a spinner and flight stick clutter the control panel and very few games use them
-avoid 4p panels (too big, expensive, rarely used)
-go with 4:3 LCD if 19"
-if you are capable, avoid X in 1 boards and setup the computer/software yourself -- and in this case, look for used MAME cabinets on craigslist

< these are good ideas.

Guts
Original > pc mame > rpi > xxxxIn1 board

Controls
Original > every thing else

If you play classics that usually require a 4 way use a 4 way, not an 8 way joystick

CRT is king, but sometimes in some cases lcd if you’re on a deserted island like I am, only one of my classic games has one

Cabinet
Original > self researched angles for personal preference > manufactured aftermarket

It’s a terrible thing watching people play Tron with out the original cabinet / controls

#1855 1 year ago
Quoted from MRG:

In my option, yes. If you like a lot of maze games like pac man you need the four way. The eight way is just prone to missing the turns. They make switchable 4-8way sticks in one. You can look into those. Generally you just need one 4 way on a cabinet because if you play 2 player you alternate turns with the same stick. I think one 4 way stick is about $20-30

Better question is where can you find a decent two way joystick (like on Galaga, Galaxian, Joust, Stargate / Defender etc)?

#1856 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Better question is where can you find a decent two way joystick (like on Galaga, Galaxian, Joust, Stargate / Defender etc)?

The original sticks for those aren't too hard to find. A wanted post on klov should bring a few out of hiding. They pop up on ebay as well.

If you don't care about the exact feel of the original, pretty much any joystick will work, just leave the other two switches unconnected.

#1857 1 year ago
Quoted from dung:

Not on here much anymore because I have shifted focus to collect a few arcades. Just got this going tonight, still doing work to them, but they are playable. Also waiting for shipment of a pair of Initial D 4's. Will eventually convert them to a newer version such as 8.

Started popping through not really reading and primarily looking at pics. I played the f355. Best racing sim i've ever been in. IIRC it forced you to use the clutch even if you picked stick. Sweet game.

#1858 1 year ago

I have a quick question for you Arcade Guys. I'm 100% EM Pinball/Arcade but
have a Ms. Pacman where at start up, the screen has fuzzy white lines, and the
play meter just keeps counting. Actually this happens when it's first turned on.
Activating the coin switch doesn't do/change anything. Not sure, but a coin may
have gotten stuck leaving the coin switch closed. This is probably a problem in
the main board, right? (T)

#1859 1 year ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That looks like a sweet Punch Out that is my grail cabinet.

Thanks! It was my favorite arcade game (well, after Donkey Kong) growing up. I lucked out and found one in good condition close by.

Punch out was my first arcade game and since then I've acquired 3 more arcades and 5 pins. Pretty much out of space (and money) now .

#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

< these are good ideas.
Guts
Controls
If you play classics that usually require a 4 way use a 4 way, not an 8 way joystick
CRT is king, but sometimes in some cases lcd if you’re on a deserted island like I am, only one of my classic games has one
Cabinet
Original > self researched angles for personal preference > manufactured aftermarket
It’s a terrible thing watching people play Tron with out the original cabinet / controls

I agree. Some games work great in a multigame cabinet format and others don't. One problem with my Arcade Legends is that it has 8 way joysticks. That is great for games that work fine with an 8 way (Robotron, etc) and those where it doesn't make a big difference. Games made for a precise 4 way joystick like Donkey Kong, Ms. Pac-man, etc. don't work that well on a system with an 8 way like Arcade Legends (and probably MAME systems).

Other arcades like Tron, Punchout, Star Wars, NBA Jam, etc. just aren't the same without a dedicated cabinet and controls.

#1861 1 year ago

I dunno'. I had this Pacman for years. Pulled out the wiring harness and put in an ArcadeSD card (and a new control panel) and love it.

IMG_1984 (resized).JPG

#1862 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

play meter just keeps counting. Actually this happens when it's first turned on.

Does the machine have a CRT? could be the monitor chassis too.

#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Sure sounds like a good culprit.

If you are not comfortable diagnosing the board and/or repairing it, an exchange with Eldorado is a good option. My experience has been good.

http://www.eldoradogames.com/

#1864 1 year ago
Quoted from Mancave:

could be the monitor chassis too.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

Sure sounds like a good culprit.

Thanks for your responses. I'll first have the board tested, and then continue
from there.. (T)

#1865 1 year ago

Because they're somewhat easy to emulate, I've tried to only keep video games in the arcade that have special controls or monitors that can't be emulated well... This mostly translates to driving games, which are my favorite video games.

Video collection:
3 wheel Iron Man Off Road.
SEGA Turbo
Atari Pole Position
SEGA Daytona USA Twin.
Atari Battle Zone
Atari Asteroids (with the 3-1 kit, which also plays Asteroids Deluxe and Lunar Lander)
Operation Thunderbolt
Satan's Hollow, which is an empty cab with a Raspberry Pi running MAME, playing only Satan's Hollow)
Zaxxon, because it was one of my favorite games and I couldn't see parting with it.
And I have generic multigame H and V cabs. Putting a Pandora 4s in the horizontal cab soon.

#1866 1 year ago

Just got this beast in, recoil is LOUD!

IMG_20180116_200737 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180116_200743 (resized).jpg

#1867 1 year ago
Quoted from Mopar:

First thing to establish is whether you get the same image on the monitor regardless of whether the game board is hooked up (you can remove video signal from the monitor to check this). Ideally you’d next test the PCB in another known working Pac-Man game... but if you can’t do that you should start at power (is the game getting 5v where appropriate).

When an arcade game is broken and it isn’t the monitor it is often tied to power issues somehow (bad supply or bad connection).

#1868 1 year ago

Nice collections! I started out collecting arcade games in 2000 and like others I now lean more towards pins.

I've got a Space Harrier, Donkey Kong, Tempest Cabaret, Super Pac Man, Neo Geo and Rastan jamma cab. One day I'd like a Defender for the extremely difficult yet satisfying gameplay.

user69213_pic11183_1454527272 (resized).jpg

01 (resized).jpg

#1869 1 year ago

Are there many four player games/is it worth the extra$ to get a game made for four players?

Quoted from Chosen_S:< these are good ideas.
Guts
Controls
Cabinet

Are there many four player games/is it worth the extra$ to get a game made for four players?

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Because they're somewhat easy to emulate, I've tried to only keep video games in the arcade that have special controls or monitors that can't be emulated well

Video collection:
SEGA Turbo
Atari Pole Position
SEGA Daytona USA Twin.

Couldn't one cabinet with a steering wheel, gas/brake pedal, and hi/low shifter pretty much cover these 3 games? Of course I don't know the logistics of getting variable gas/brake pedals working in MAME.

#1871 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Couldn't one cabinet with a steering wheel, gas/brake pedal, and hi/low shifter pretty much cover these 3 games? Of course I don't know the logistics of getting variable gas/brake pedals working in MAME.

Probably not for the Daytona Twin.... But the other two, sure...

26231598_10159894473895553_1982981804936782574_n (resized).jpg

#1872 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yes and no. Daytona is notoriously difficult to emulate and has force feedback steering.

#1873 1 year ago

Depends on if you need a joystick or just need a rebuild kit.

If you want whole stick check out:
http://www.jbgaming.co.uk/controls/zeroplay-2way-joystick/

If you want a rebuild kit that is better than the original (this kit is awesome):
http://www.jbgaming.co.uk/controls/zeroplay-bearing-kit/

#1874 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

The most popular 4-player games are your beat'em ups and sports titles. I think there are plenty of good games to justify the extra cost. Having said that, the vast majority of my builds have been 2-player. I love playing with a larger group, but there just weren't that many opportunities. It's just rare to have four people gathered around a machine. If money and space were not an option, I'd have a 2-player machine (6 button), 2-player machine (4 button), and 4-player machine (3 button).

#1875 1 year ago

My favorite old school 4 player games:

Atari football
Sente Team Hat Trick
NBA JAM
Midway Demolition Derby
Atari Warlords
Simpsons
Ninja Turtles

#1876 1 year ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I love playing with a larger group, but there just weren't that many opportunities.

This. Do you love the idea of playing with 4 people on your cab? Sure you do. Are you going to do it regularly enough that having a big ass control panel cluttered with buttons and sticks makes actual sense? Only you can answer that.

My personal experience is most people who build those big ass panels don't see them used. You might be an exception, in which case have a great time with your friends.

#1877 1 year ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Atari football
Sente Team Hat Trick
NBA JAM
Midway Demolition Derby
Atari Warlords
Simpsons
Ninja Turtles

What? No love for Quadra-Pong?

... and Warlords is defiantly much better as a four player table BTW.

#1878 1 year ago

-MAME cabinet - nice, not a 15” computer monitor surrounded by a cardboard bezel
-Police Trainer
-Ice Cold Beer
-Megatouch Emerald 2

#1879 1 year ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Because they're somewhat easy to emulate, I've tried to only keep video games in the arcade that have special controls or monitors that can't be emulated well... This mostly translates to driving games, which are my favorite video games.
Video collection:
3 wheel Iron Man Off Road.
SEGA Turbo
Atari Pole Position
SEGA Daytona USA Twin.
Atari Battle Zone
Atari Asteroids (with the 3-1 kit, which also plays Asteroids Deluxe and Lunar Lander)
Operation Thunderbolt
Satan's Hollow, which is an empty cab with a Raspberry Pi running MAME, playing only Satan's Hollow)
Zaxxon, because it was one of my favorite games and I couldn't see parting with it.
And I have generic multigame H and V cabs. Putting a Pandora 4s in the horizontal cab soon.

Forgot to add that I built a Mortal Kombat machine too.
Also have a candy crane, Megatouch and several slot machines.

#1880 1 year ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Atari football
Sente Team Hat Trick
NBA JAM
Midway Demolition Derby
Atari Warlords
Simpsons
Ninja Turtles

You forgot about Cyberball!

4 player Cyberball.jpg

#1881 1 year ago

I have a really nice Tempest but is was kind of before my time. Hoping to get an nba jam or a 4 player Blitz back

20180111_193002 (resized).jpg

#1882 1 year ago

My two brothers and I used our paper route money in 1984 and bought a Tempest. We were in junior high and Freshman in high school. Back then it was $250. There was a guy in our town that was selling all kinds of games just off route. We really wanted DK, but that was $675. Too much $ for the paper route. Tempest is still a cool game

#1883 1 year ago
Quoted from MRG:

My two brothers and I used our paper route money in 1984 and bought a Tempest. We were in junior high and Freshman in high school. Back then it was $250. There was a guy in our town that was selling all kinds of games just off route. We really wanted DK, but that was $675. Too much $ for the paper route. Tempest is still a cool game

I got a kick out of you post. With my paper route money I bought a new 70 Mustang, $2700 cash, I even ordered it.

#1884 1 year ago
Quoted from simplykind:

I have a really nice Tempest but is was kind of before my time.

Amazing game still, nothing else quite looks like those vector monitors. If you want to know more about your game this is a great and easy read:

https://arcadeblogger.com/2018/01/19/atari-tempest-dave-theurers-masterpiece/

#1885 1 year ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

... Atari Warlords

Speaking of which:IMG_1049 (resized).JPG
...look at what I got to play today!

#1886 1 year ago

I NEED that warlords

#1887 1 year ago

There's a warlord for sale locally. I've strongly considered it. Such a great game

#1888 1 year ago

Heading out to Long Island tomorrow to help my friend pick up a brand new Tempest.

This is the same family who sold my buddy their HUO AFG with certificate a few years ago.

These folks also have NIB models of Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol and Tron which they refuse to sell. It's kind of neat to know that these things exist just like the NIB Black Knights.

#1889 1 year ago

Wow!!! Would love to see pix of those.

Quoted from Mike_J:

Heading out to Long Island tomorrow to help my friend pick up a brand new Tempest.
This is the same family who sold my buddy their HUO AFG with certificate a few years ago.
These folks also have NIB models of Donkey Kong, Moon Patrol and Tron which they refuse to sell. It's kind of neat to know that these things exist just like the NIB Black Knights.

#1890 1 year ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I love games that have a story. My Dragon's Lair was supposedly once owned by Joe Nuxhall from the Reds. I have no paperwork to prove it though.

IMG_2037.JPG (resized).jpeg

#1891 1 year ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Just got this beast in, recoil is LOUD!

Have never ever seen this. What is is it where did it come from?

#1892 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

I love games that have a story. My Dragon's Lair was supposedly once owned by Joe Nuxhall from the Reds. I have no paperwork to prove it though.

Cool. You have the Dexter board in it?

#1893 1 year ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Cool. You have the Dexter board in it?

Yes, with the Merlin DX and the DL Trilogy.

#1894 1 year ago

Just wanted to throw this out there. I had those Mag Sticks in my cab originally and they are great for what they are.
However the throw on them isn't the best. I replaced players 2-4 with traditional joysticks and put this in the place of player 1 ( https://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html ) Best thing is you can have it switch between 4 and 8 way automatically depending in the game or hardwire a toggle switch. Works and feels great.

#1895 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Yes, with the Merlin DX and the DL Trilogy.

Nice. My MACH 3 with Dexter won't go past the 3 rd line of the boot screen no matter what I do.

#1896 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I NEED that warlords

I'm sure you know but these have become VERY valuable these days. 3K+

#1897 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I'm sure you know but these have become VERY valuable these days. 3K+

Think I found it but it's the stand up cab and not the cocktail table. Are the stand up ones only 2player?

#1898 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Think I found it but it's the stand up cab and not the cocktail table. Are the stand up ones only 2player?

Two players and with a black and white monitor.

#1899 1 year ago

Two players and with a black and white monitor.

They have a film over the screen to simulate color?

#1900 1 year ago

Mega Touch
Cocktail Pac-man MS Pac man and Galaga
Cabaret Centipede
Galaxian
Upright Ms Pac man
Roc n Rope
3 player Ivan Stewart Off road
Skee ball

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 30.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
$ 248.85
€ 22.00
Cabinet - Other
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 129.25
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Dystopian Mods Italia
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
€ 279.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 199.99
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
There are 2668 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 54.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside