(Topic ID: 48853)

What annoys you when non-pinheads come over....

By tpellowe

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

If this thread is a repeat, I apologize. I have seen a lot of the gameroom picture threads so I realize how many sweet amazing gamerooms are out there. Great collections. Great detail and the passion comes through in pics.
    I suspect that when guests at your places see the gameroom for first time, there is the typical reactions..."holy sh$t"..."this is badass"..."w t f"...."I would live in here"..etc. Then they start playing. They enjoy it. They enjoy it a lot. However, they don't really "get it".
    You get the simultaneous flipper hitters...the ones that go straight past pinball for Pac-Man/ Galaga and you are like, 'hey MM, AC/DC, Tron is right there, bro' - free play no less...ask the typical how much do these cost (upon answering, they now look at you like you are certifiably insane)...ask you if you have KISS or Evil Knievel. You try to explain the CliffyS, the rule set, nerdy factoids, the pincab protectors, plastic protectors, which games are what, etc.
    Anyway, it seems only pinheads really appreciate the details! I need to have more pinheads over
    or get new friends. Ever feel like that?

#2 10 years ago

Stop inviting non-pinheads over.
    Mods can lock this thread now.
    : )

#3 10 years ago

It's like any hobby, if people aren't into it, they don't care about the details. All they see is a pinball machine and they all look alike. To them, the coolest one probably isn't your most valuable one. Its the one with a theme they know, be it a sport, movie or band.

#4 10 years ago

Only annoyed when they don't want to play the games at all.

I let them lead the conversation, if they want to know what repairs I have done, I tell them. If they want to know prices, I explain the trends past and present. I try not to be a windbag, no one wants that.

If they are double flipping, I show them how to cradle, how to post pass, the advantages of single flipping. I don't tell them every single rule (unless they really want to know) I tell them how to get multiball, or something else easy.

I save the serious pin talk for here and when pinheads come over.

#5 10 years ago

I Grin and bear it.

Probably just like my wine-nerd friends do when I serve screw-top wine at dinner club

#6 10 years ago

Perhaps you can hold these people hostage until they learn to appreciate what you've done. I mean, you've invited them over and actually ACCEPTED the damned invitation. It's the least they can do.

Totally tongue-in-cheek, man, but come on! Some will like it and want to know more. Some won't and will head for Galaga. Others will not be impressed in the slightest. Are you having them over for the ego-boost or because you like them? Yeah, it sucks when someone you're friendly with just isn't into the same stuff at the same level as you, but... eh, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you, might not be right for some.

#7 10 years ago

I don't expect people that aren't into my hobbies to be as into my hobbies as I am, so I have no frustrations when they aren't into them :/

#8 10 years ago

What I have found with the first party I had about a month ago is that some people LOVE THEM and play them and others just like to drink, play pool and listen to the juke box and chat.

Don't take it personally. I looked at the fact that I had about 50 people over and I would say 10-15 played them some and had fun. 35 probably didn't care other then to say "wow, you have a bunch of these and of course what did they cost". I have a MS. PACMAN and slots as well and a lot of entertainment options. The pinball machines are just another option for people when we throw a party. The major point is I bought them for ME and my enjoyment. If others enjoy it that is great as well....if not, no big deal. Different strokes for different folks and it would not bother me if any of my friends liked pinball.....I would never get different friends as pinball is definitely one of those activities that playing by yourself is no big deal. Not like going golfing.

#9 10 years ago

People who bang away at both flippers are annoying.....and I try to teach them; usually to no avail.

But I don't make a stink about it......really wont hurt the machines.

Now it has not happened yet, but you better not start banging my machines around. Nudging is fine, I see you attempt a death save on my machine and I might attempt one on your head.

#10 10 years ago

On another note.....if you have a nice female over and she tells you "hey, I am not really into pinball" and then WINKS at you is that really a bad thing. If you ask me you hit the jackpot so another example of why worry if someone doesn't like pinball. Trust me, just put out an ad on pinside "PINBALL PARTY AT YOUR HOUSE WITH FREE BEER AND PIZZA" and you will have a full house of people who love your machines.....you have my guarantee. You'll probably miss your old friends though !!!

#11 10 years ago

I think it's easy to forget how intimidating/mysterious/walled-off/outdated/uninteresting pinball can be to those who know nothing about it. Sure, you can educate them, but only if they want to be educated in the first place.

#12 10 years ago

What is a "death save".....this should be good.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

What is a "death save".....this should be good.

Here's a gentle example (bang back and a death save)

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from tpellowe:

Anyway, it seems only pinheads really appreciate the details! I need to have more pinheads over
    or get new friends. Ever feel like that?

I'm quite sure your same friends get annoyed when you come over their house and don't appreciate their hobbies as well.

#15 10 years ago

Best example of a death save.

#16 10 years ago

^^is this not cheating?

#17 10 years ago

Watch the whole video it will tell you when and when not to do a death save.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Funny I was playing my TZ the other month and having a good game and whipped out a bang back for the first time in forever. I didn't even think aboot it just went into "oh shit mode."
    The alcohol I'm sure

#20 10 years ago

Several times now I've had guests with teenagers get bored, I guess, and stop playing wherever they are, with balls still active on the game. Same with Donkey Kong. They then move on to shuffleboard, TV, or something else with the game going midstream. Squirrel!

#21 10 years ago

When people press the start button multiple times to get to 2-4 player, then play two balls and leave. It gets annoying to have to keep resetting games.

#22 10 years ago

OK, Got a new skill I have to learn.

#23 10 years ago

I was referring to the death save some people do by kicking the leg of the machine.....and not gently.

#24 10 years ago

I'd never say what they cost. That is just inviting derision!

#25 10 years ago

What annoys me?

Pushing the start button 4 times.
    Placing a beer or soda on the glass.
    Walking away during ball 2.
    Guests asking me if I'm nuts.
    Guests asking if I'm rich & nuts.

#26 10 years ago

I have to agree with some of the others, its definitely when someone leaves the machine in the middle of a game

#27 10 years ago

If you need someone to appreciate the details or it rubs you the wrong way... maybe you did it for the wrong reason to start with? Things like cabinet protectors, cliffy's, etc.. they're just to protect the game man.

Unless people start disrespecting you or abusing your stuff... just roll with it if they don't share your passions. If they get some pleasure from it... awesome... but don't let it wind you up if the guest gets facinated with bashing the toy in the game over and over even tho it's not the best scoring strategy.

This is like people getting their panties wound up because someone shows up on the golf course with a department store set of clubs and shoes.

#28 10 years ago

It's funny what guests will like.

Really young kids: seem to like pinball- standing on a chair- banging away!
    Older kids: try pinball - tend to gravitate to MAME cabinet....
    Younger adults: same as the older kids
    Forty-somethings and up: more evenly split between pins and Mame

Of all my surprises- the biggest was a 2-player basketball shooting game I picked up. EVERYONE loves it... Lol- I thought it would be the first to go when I needed more space- but now I can't - my kids would revolt!

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I have to agree with some of the others, its definitely when someone leaves the machine in the middle of a game

This drives me crazy ... just play the game its not going to last long anyways

#30 10 years ago

I get annoyed by double flipping, 4 start button pushing, ball left in shooter lane, non nudging sober women with their shirts still on

Quoted from flynnibus:

If you need someone to appreciate the details or it rubs you the wrong way... maybe you did it for the wrong reason to start with? Things like cabinet protectors, cliffy's, etc.. they're just to protect the game man.
    Unless people start disrespecting you or abusing your stuff... just roll with it if they don't share your passions. If they get some pleasure from it... awesome... but don't let it wind you up if the guest gets facinated with bashing the toy in the game over and over even tho it's not the best scoring strategy.
    This is like people getting their panties wound up because someone shows up on the golf course with a department store set of clubs and shoes.

Nah man the OP is just saying how everything we love about pinball seems to just go right over the heads of pretty much everyone. I lost my gameroom buddy earlier this year & really miss how nice it was to talk shop with someone who "gets it" & notices the tweaks & etc as we BBQ/drink.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Videogame generation... You can walk away from ms pacman and I will eventually end by itself....

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I get annoyed by double flipping, 4 start button pushing, ball left in shooter lane, non nudging sober women with their shirts still on

That covers it for me too.

#33 10 years ago

I get annoyed by doulble flipping, pressing start button multiple times, and people asking how the plunger works on JP and Shadow.

#34 10 years ago

When drunk women don't want to pose in sexy poses with my machines. How annoying!

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

I Grin and bear it.
    Probably just like my wine-nerd friends do when I serve screw-top wine at dinner club

No shame in screw top wines. Some are very good. If they comment, just tell them it is called a "stelvin closure". (Google it!)

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cobray:

When drunk women don't want to pose in sexy poses with my machines. How annoying!

Pics of the ones you've gotten or none of them really happened.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

» YouTube video

Yea, that guy actually makes it look pretty effortless, but that is a pretty violent move. Lots of force. None of that crap on my machines.

Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's easy to forget how intimidating/mysterious/walled-off/outdated/uninteresting pinball can be to those who know nothing about it. Sure, you can educate them, but only if they want to be educated in the first place.

Yep; I tend to have a habit of over explaining things and that isn't good. I now try to do very little and just teach them to use one flipper at a time and if there is an easy multi ball or something to show them how to start it.

#38 10 years ago

Tomorrow I am going to try to execute the DEATH SAVE on my players condition Taxi. The question is if you somehow don't tilt the machine is it legal in a tournament.

#39 10 years ago

houseofpin: Generally no. Forbidden specifically in most tournament rules. Check local listings for details.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Nah man the OP is just saying how everything we love about pinball seems to just go right over the heads of pretty much everyone. I lost my gameroom buddy earlier this year & really miss how nice it was to talk shop with someone who "gets it" & notices the tweaks & etc as we BBQ/drink.

StL at least has CP pinball. always some pinheads around to talk shop. maybe convince chuck to do a CP BBQ?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from houseofpin:

Tomorrow I am going to try to execute the DEATH SAVE on my players condition Taxi. The question is if you somehow don't tilt the machine is it legal in a tournament.

I think either a death save or bang back virtually always tilts the machine if the tilt is at normal settings. That would be pretty deflating to be in a tournament against a guy and just watch him bang back and death save his way without tilting to first place. LOL

#42 10 years ago

Well, I guess you can always use it just for fun in games against friends. It at least is a neat looking move.

#43 10 years ago

Well, maybe Carl (pinball teacher in another post) uses the death save technique and why he is not at risk to lose his SLASH autographed hat. Maybe that is his "pet move".......

#44 10 years ago

Theres a great death save video'd in the PAPA ACDC tutorial if I recall correctly... it was near the end and it was done so matter-of-factly I had to rewind and watch it a few times

#45 10 years ago

When they ask why I sold all of my vids. I kindly explain that I was not playing them anymore, and its hard to justify keeping 20 plus videos around for the few times a year I have a party.

#46 10 years ago

If your "non pin friends" annoy you more than your "real pin friends" you hang out with a real diff'rent crowd than i do

#47 10 years ago

Pushing start 4 times and walking away. That is ultra annoying.

#48 10 years ago

Some look at it like, 'Are you Crazy', but most just are impressed and play the games. I have even gotten a few into the hobby.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Pushing start 4 times and walking away. That is ultra annoying.

Yep, seen that too often, but those are the little kids that come over. I think they all do that.

#50 10 years ago

I'm a pinhead and I can't imagine anything more boring than hanging out and talking about colored post sleeves, cliffys and plastic protectors!

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-annoys-you-when-non-pinheads-come-over and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.