(Topic ID: 223587)

What and where to go in Canada

By Buzz

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jasper.jpg
    917_976394042396681_1278430099766375646_nTransCanadaHighway. (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

I've always had a desire to travel up north and now that both my children have an interest in our northern neighbors I was wondering what is a must? It's a large country and was looking for some local input. It would be next summer even though winter and some hockey would be amazing.

#2 5 years ago

Use a washroom please (public washrooms have proper signage), do not travel all the way to Canada to expose yourself.

#3 5 years ago

Vancouver is a beautiful city

#4 5 years ago

Where do you want to go?
    East coast, west coast?
    Far North?
    The prairies?

Basically the areas with the largest population
    Are Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.
    1/3 of our entire population lives in Ontario.

All of Canada
    Area: 9.985 million km²
    Population: 36.29 million (2016

1/10 the population on the U.S.

USA. Area: 9.834 million km²
    Population: 325.7 million (2017)

#5 5 years ago

Ahem
    Canada is indeed a vast beautiful country. Vancouver island is the best followed closely by the Canadian Rockies.

#6 5 years ago

Whale watching in vancouver you will see orcas, in halafax humpback whales.
    Niagra falls is a must see.
    CN tower in Toronto, blue Jays game in the summer.
    Canadas wonderland (theme park) is building a new coaster next year 90 degree drop!
    Skiing/snowboarding in calgary or vancouver.
    Best of all with your dollar everything is half price!

#7 5 years ago

East coast is great for lobsters, clams, scallops, lighthouses, small fishing villages and beaches and coves. It has a slower pace.

#8 5 years ago

Starting on the left coast I’d check out Vancouver and wissler. Stanley park in Vancouver is really nice to visit. Wissler should have snow until late spring up in the mountains. Golden B.C. is beautiful, we camped there on the side of a mountain, the view is spectacular. Lake Louise is a national treasure, again it’s a beautiful area, but a little to much do a tourist trap for me. Jasper national park is a great drive through the mountains, in the south the mountains are tight together and very imposing, in the north the mountains are farther apart and more majestic.

Edmonton has a huge mall with an amusement park inside. It’s full days trip to just walk the mall, I’d go there with a plan, because everyone has walked a mall before.

Calgary is a unique city. In the summer there’s the stampede. Chuck wagon races and wild fair foods.

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. It’s referred to as the Paris of the Praries. There’s about a dozen different bridges that cross the river dividing the city. Along the river is a nice park and many photo opportunities.

Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some cool architecture. An old Masonic temple is now the city hall or courthouse. I forget it’s been a while.

Ontario. In no peticular order. There’s Niagara Falls, nice tourist town. Georgian bay has water as blue as the Caribbean. Algonquin Park is a huge wildlife preserve that you can camp in. Toronto is a world class city with a very diverse population. Wasaga beach is the longest fresh water beach in the world, just north of Toronto. In fact southern Ontario has enough interesting things to do that you could spend your entire trip here.

Montreal is a vibrant city. Most people speak English and French, although the French might look down on you if you don’t speak it too. (Snobby bastards. The French language police are a real thing, although they only care about store signage.)

Quebec City has an old world European feel in some districts. Cool architecture.

Down east. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island will give you a good maritime experience. Fishing villages, light houses and rolling countryside. Wanna drink? Visit George st. In Newfoundland.

I could go on and on. Is there anything that your interested is seeing?

#9 5 years ago

As a Canadian, the country is SO large, that as a "life goal" to visit much of the country it will be difficult for me. Each year I will focus on a particular place. I hope to eventually visit every province and territory, and not just driving through stopping only for gas, but actually experiencing each part.

#10 5 years ago

I've spent most of my life in the Maritimes (specifically Halifax), but have had the opportunity to see most of the country. Montreal is an absolutely wonderful city, probably my fave next to home. Toronto to me is just a concrete jungle, and doesn't interest me too much. If I don't make it back to the prairies i wouldn't be upset (sorry guys) but Calgary is a pretty cool place to visit. I like Vancouver, but much prefer northern BC due to the scenery. If you're up for a really unique and cool adventure, Yellowknife is a really cool place. I lived there a couple years, and it has, IMO, some of the most eclectic mix of people anywhere, and if the cold doesn't bother you, winter up north is pretty amazing. Spectacular northern lights, exploring the ice roads, ice fishing, and the snow king castle on Great Slave lake is pretty badass.

But my bias says come visit the east coast! There are some pretty amazing things to see here, not to mention the incredible history. Just in Halifax there is, Citadel Hill, Pier 21 museum, historic properties, titanic grave sites and the Halifax explosion memorial (largest man made explosion before the atom bomb)

#11 5 years ago

Add Waterton Lakes National Park to your list of places to go. It’s essentially Canada’s side of Glacier (add Glacier to your list as well), and it’s incredible. We camped there for a few nights, and did some hikes I’ll never forget.

#12 5 years ago

To add to Luckydogg420 list

BC
    Vancouver Gondola
    Gastown
    Granville Island (beer beer beer)
    Victoria Island whale and orca tours
    Mile 0 (if you intend to do coast to coast)
    Salmon Run (try the salmon jerky)

ALBERTA
    Columbia Icefield (Athabasca Glacier)
    Banff (go visit the old CN hotel), you can also ride the gondola to the top
    The mall is called West Edmonton Mall (you can spend two days there just for fun)
    If you are in edmonton and are a hockey buff, you can also go take a picture of the Gretzky statue
    The natural parks in Alberta are endless. Maligne Lake, Pito (peyto) lake, falls, glaciers, rafting, kayak, rock climbing, moutain biking etc...

SASKATECHEWAN
    If you've never seen flat terrain - you'll endless fields, this is the place to look at history

MANITOBA
    Winnipeg - The Forks

ONTARIO
    Ottawa - Parliament of Canada, Rideau Canal and a variety of museums, zip lining
    Toronto - Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, Ontario Place, Wonderland

QUEBEC
    Quebec city is a jewel of history

MARIMTIMES
    Bay of Fundy
    Peggy's Cove
    Mile 0 marker

#13 5 years ago

Here is a view of our iconic Trans Canada Highway, at sunrise East of Calgary, in the late fall. The great plains on North America.
    917_976394042396681_1278430099766375646_nTransCanadaHighway. (resized).jpg917_976394042396681_1278430099766375646_nTransCanadaHighway. (resized).jpg

#14 5 years ago

Listening to The Tragically Hip the whole trip is a must!
    www.thehip.com

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Listening to The Tragically Hip the whole trip is a must!
    www.thehip.com

No trip to Canada is complete without a Stompin' Tom Connors Marathon!

#16 5 years ago

Thank you everyone who has replied. I very much appreciate the details about each place. There's so much to see for sure. I'm thinking that this first trip will be the western side. I'm looking to take a road trip instead of flying at this time, even though there are many things mentioned about the east and north I have always wanted to see. I'm not sure if it will be possible but to start at the coast and make our way over to Calgary and Edmonton. I love hiking, architecture,history, food and drinks, and hanging out with people. Just like here there is so much from coasts to mountains to country prairies. I'm very excited to think about going with my family to a place I've always wondered about but never went. Hopefully this will give me some motivation to keep going to work while we save up. LOL. My only concern is probably not wanting to go back home. Please keep posting ideas and things. I'm going to look up a lot of what has been mentioned already. Thank you again everyone for your help.

#17 5 years ago

Ive done the trek from ottawa, ontario to redding california, up the coast to vancouveranf all the way back. So yes it is possible and beautiful.

#18 5 years ago

I'd suggest a summer visit. Majority of our country is freezing cold during the winters unless museum tours or a day in a mall is your thing. Whistler, Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff are all beautiful during both the winter and summer. Vancouver is a awesome city and Toronto is like a mini New York. Haven't been to Montreal but hear it's a pretty cool city to visit.
    If hiking is your thing I'd suggest southern Alberta or BC.
    If fishing is your thing, it's great everywhere especially the northern praries. Amazing lakes with giant fish.
    If pinball is your thing, we're friendly people who welcome strangers into our homes to play pinball. Every large city has a few great locations to play and have a Canadian brewskie.
    If your username indicates your lifestyle, we should be a fully legalized country next month!

#19 5 years ago

unless you like fields you better go to vancouver

#20 5 years ago

If you like hiking I suggest hitting up Banff and Jasper for a couple of weeks. There's plenty to do besides hiking and the scenery is mind blowing.

Here's a picture I took at the top of Marmot Basin ski mountain in Jasper.

jasper.jpgjasper.jpg
    #21 5 years ago

I watched a video labeled Canadian road rage. Basically a motorcycle and a car almost collided and instead of violence the two were concerned about each other. I don't know if all of Canada is like this, but it was nice to see a real unselfish act of humanity. Unfortunately something that is very rare here. I never hear anything bad about Canada so it has always seemed like some magical place with magical people. I'm sure it can't be completely perfect but it seems like the best kept secret place to live that just stays under the radar and produces most of hockey's best.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Thank you everyone who has replied. I very much appreciate the details about each place. There's so much to see for sure. I'm thinking that this first trip will be the western side. I'm looking to take a road trip instead of flying at this time, even though there are many things mentioned about the east and north I have always wanted to see. I'm not sure if it will be possible but to start at the coast and make our way over to Calgary and Edmonton. I love hiking, architecture,history, food and drinks, and hanging out with people. Just like here there is so much from coasts to mountains to country prairies. I'm very excited to think about going with my family to a place I've always wondered about but never went. Hopefully this will give me some motivation to keep going to work while we save up. LOL. My only concern is probably not wanting to go back home. Please keep posting ideas and things. I'm going to look up a lot of what has been mentioned already. Thank you again everyone for your help.

If you have kids who are into dinosaurs, you 100% have to visit Drumheller, Alberta. https://traveldrumheller.com/

I echo the sentiments of many others....and particularly if you're driving, make sure to drive the Rockies, take time to stop and explore Banff as well.

#23 5 years ago

Coming from Cali I'd probably enter by Osoyis, BC. Head up to Kelowna/peach valley area, then over to Vancouver for a while. Take the ferry over to Ninamo and drive down to Victoria. The Vancouver Island drive is really nice. Lots of nice little site seeing towns along the way.

#24 5 years ago

Dinosaurs! You know I do.

#25 5 years ago

Some other things you might want to check out during your road trip. Columbia Ice Fields https://www.banffjaspercollection.com/attractions/glacier-adventure/experience/

And the hot springs in Jasper, Alberta. https://www.hotsprings.ca/miette-hot-springs

#26 5 years ago

Have you ever heard of a Canadian standoff? It’s when a restaurant has double sets of doors, and one person is going in while another is leaving. Both people will stand there and hold the door for the other. “You go first”. “No, you go first”.

Sorry

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I watched a video labeled Canadian road rage. Basically a motorcycle and a car almost collided and instead of violence the two were concerned about each other. I don't know if all of Canada is like this, but it was nice to see a real unselfish act of humanity. Unfortunately something that is very rare here. I never hear anything bad about Canada so it has always seemed like some magical place with magical people.

We are sorry you had to see such violence lol
    *end sarcasm*

1 year later
    #28 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Coming from Cali I'd probably enter by Osoyis, BC. Head up to Kelowna/peach valley area, then over to Vancouver for a while. Take the ferry over to Ninamo and drive down to Victoria. The Vancouver Island drive is really nice. Lots of nice little site seeing towns along the way.

Finally someone sensible! Not recommending Vancouver island but Edmonton is truly the dumbest fricking thing that I’ve ever heard frankly.....

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-and-where-to-go-in-canada-?hl=gregh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.