• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PoMC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi there!

I've got a Godzilla I'm attempting to update the roms on.

The rom files in the 2.0.5 IPDB archive are the following files:
GDZCPU.205
GZDSPA.200
GDZU37.100
GDZU21.100
GDZU36.100
GDZU17.100
Gdzu7.100

Assumptions: I only need to burn the GDZCPU.205 and GZDSPA.200 since the game already has all 1.00 roms for sound, etc. (u37,u21,u36,u17 and u7 are all 1.00 already)

I burned two roms onto TI 27C040-10 chips: The GDZCPU.205 and the GZDSPA2.00 and replaced the CPU rom and the display rom. The game didn't boot. I swapped the CPU rom back for the 1.0 CPU rom, and the game booted fine on the old CPU and new display rom, displaying the display rom version as 2.00 at boot. This leads me to believe my burner is working correctly and I've got some clue as to what I'm doing. (I've done several pinball roms in the past with no issue). So i put the CPU rom back in the burner and confirmed it matched the file it was programmed with, and then tried a second and third 27c040. I get the same result each time. No boot. I've since tried using a file from a different source (First IPDB, then Internet Archive of Stern's old code page) and get the same result. No boot. Swap the 1.00 rom back in and it boots fine. I've been sure to verify the orientation of the chip, verified no missing or bent pins, and have the chip centered in the socket.

I'm using an EMP20 programmer on an old XP box.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Greg

#2 5 years ago

After you burn the 2.05, can you view the code and scroll to the bottom? Compare the bottom with the text at the bottom of the file after you load it in the app. I use MiniPro software and there's a view on the right side showing the code. I guess make sure the full code is being programmed on the chip is where I would start. The CPU file size should fit on the chip you're using according to what I see, but can make sure.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
London, ENGLAND
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-am-i-doing-wrong-godzilla-rom-upgrade-10-to-205 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.