• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

getaway speaker 001 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Subwoofer 002 (resized).JPG
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

I'm trying to hook up a Polk powered subwoofer to a Williams Getaway 2 pi. and I get no sound out of it at all. I'm trying to pull the sound off of the cabinet box speaker.

#2 4 years ago

Can you show or explain how you have it hooked up?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgel:

Can you show or explain how you have it hooked up?

Just running two wires from the cabinet speaker to the red and black input jacks on the sub.

#4 4 years ago

Couple ideas:
Do you have the switch set to Auto?
Does the sub work when hooked up to another source (receiver, PC, whatever)?
Have you tried adjusting the crossover level?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Couple ideas:
Do you have the switch set to Auto?
Does the sub work when hooked up to another source (receiver, PC, whatever)?
Have you tried adjusting the crossover level?

Yes it's on auto and it works on my Stern ST

#6 4 years ago

I always have ran wire from the subwoofer inside bottom of the cab to the powered sub and never had a problem. You stated your running from the back box and thats your problem.
Harley D.

#7 4 years ago

Do you have volume on pin up enough? Sometimes the sub won't kick in until your volume is up to a certain level.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

I always have ran wire from the subwoofer inside bottom of the cab to the powered sub and never had a problem. You stated your running from the back box and thats your problem.
Harley D.

No, I'm hooked to the bottom cabinet speaker

#9 4 years ago

Like the above said, I run mine from the speaker under the cabinet. And make sure you do not bridge the connection. Pick either the Left or Right, and use the negative and positive on the one side. Dont use both.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Do you have volume on pin up enough? Sometimes the sub won't kick in until your volume is up to a certain level.

I think so I'm a little deaf so it's a bit loud.

#11 4 years ago

Also, I bet I have the same Polk Sub. Make sure the crossover is all the way to max and work your way down from there to where you like it. And of course, volume knob lol

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Also, I bet I have the same Polk Sub. Make sure the crossover is all the way to max and work your way down from there to where you like it. And of course, volume knob lol

I will give it a try.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I will give it a try.

With the volume all the way up and the crossover maxed out I get a slight sound

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

With the volume all the way up and the crossover maxed out I get a slight sound

Can you take a picture of the connection on the back of the sub. I assume your on Speaker Level INPUT terminals.

Also, give the game a play to be sure. Subwoofer isnt going to make noise without some noise to play.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Can you take a picture of the connection on the back of the sub. I assume your on Speaker Level INPUT terminals.
Also, give the game a play to be sure. Subwoofer isnt going to make noise without some noise to play.

I just played it all I get is a slight rumble out of the sub

#16 4 years ago

Are you sure the cabinet speaker is working?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I just played it all I get is a slight rumble out of the sub

Hmmnn, running out of options. Have you hooked this up to anything else to be sure it works right? Or make sure connections arent loose? And as others said, make sure volume is up on the pin.

#18 4 years ago

And not sure of that Pin, but have you ever played around with the music attenuation or anything like that which could possibly affect it?

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Are you sure the cabinet speaker is working?

Yes it works great

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

And not sure of that Pin, but have you ever played around with the music attenuation or anything like that which could possibly affect it?

Everything is stock

#21 4 years ago

I think a picture would help.

#22 4 years ago

Im sorry but im out of ideas at this point... I can only think of a loose connection.

#23 4 years ago

Here is a pic of the sub

Subwoofer 002 (resized).JPGSubwoofer 002 (resized).JPG
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Im sorry but im out of ideas at this point... I can only think of a loose connection.

Thanks for your help

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Here is a pic of the sub[quoted image]

I cant see the label on the bottom part where your cables are plugged. Is it an output like the ones above or an input ?

#26 4 years ago

turn your crossover closer to 80-100 hz

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I cant see the label on the bottom part where your cables are plugged. Is it an output like the ones above or an input ?

Its correct.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

turn your crossover closer to 80-100 hz

No, thats not going to help. You are just cutting down the signal by doing that.

#29 4 years ago

Also to check, Positive is to positive and negative to negative?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

No, thats not going to help. You are just cutting down the signal by doing that.

You're targeting the bass signals by doing that. You'll get more precise bass notes that way. Either way, it's worth a shot for more pronounced bass notes.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

the bottom row is input

#32 4 years ago

Are you using alligator clips or are you directly soldered onto the cabinet speaker?

#33 4 years ago

Is there a break in the speaker wire? Have you tried a different length of speaker wire or test for continuity?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Also to check, Positive is to positive and negative to negative?

I have tried to phase it both ways.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You're targeting the bass signals by doing that. You'll get more precise bass notes that way. Either way, it's worth a shot for more pronounced bass notes.

Those bass signals are already targeted by being at max. Having it set to full means the sub will play any bass signal. If hes not getting any sound, it doesnt make sense to cut down the signal. You will not get more pronounced bass notes but I do agree, at this point, anything is worth a shot.

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

I have tried to phase it both ways.

Not the phase, just making sure the wire is connected to red on the cabinet speaker and red to the subwoofer input. And black to black of course.

#37 4 years ago

Did you strip enough insulation, the pinch connector is hitting the copper wire?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#38 4 years ago

Or try the right terminals...

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Not the phase, just making sure the wire is connected to red on the cabinet speaker and red to the subwoofer input.

Hang on let me take a pic of it.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

the bottom row is input

Does the power light turns on when you have sound on the pinball ? I wonder if the auto on also works on the speaker inputs

#41 4 years ago

This is frustrating me now! lol

#42 4 years ago

Have you tried the sub on your home stereo to make sure it works?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

Here is a pic of the sub[quoted image]

Also try plugging to the Right input instead, sometimes the mono in of subwoofers is only cabled to one input

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Have you tried the sub on your home stereo to make sure it works?

It works on my Stern Star Trek just fine.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Those bass signals are already targeted by being at max. Having it set to full means the sub will play any bass signal. If hes not getting any sound, it doesnt make sense to cut down the signal. You will not get more pronounced bass notes but I do agree, at this point, anything is worth a shot.

The best range for a decent quality sub is 80-100 hz. Allowing higher frequencies into the speaker may make it seem like the speaker isn't hitting the low end like it should, or it may mimic the cabinet speaker enough to where you don't think it's working

In any case, I would double check the connection at the cabinet speaker. If you're using alligator clips, and there's crossing, you'll get messed up or no sound. If you're soldered in, you can remove that as a variable. Check for any breaks in the wire. Then mess with the volume and frequency knobs.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Does the power light turns on when you have sound on the pinball ? I wonder if the auto on also works on the speaker inputs

Quoted from FatPanda:

The best range for a decent quality sub is 80-100 hz. Allowing higher frequencies into the speaker may make it seem like the speaker isn't hitting the low end like it should, or it may mimic the cabinet speaker enough to where you don't think it's working
In any case, I would double check the connection at the cabinet speaker. If you're using alligator clips, and there's crossing, you'll get messed up or no sound. If you're soldered in, you can remove that as a variable. Check for any breaks in the wire. Then mess with the volume and frequency knobs.

Ok, I see where your head is at. I can make sense of that...

#47 4 years ago
getaway speaker 001 (resized).JPGgetaway speaker 001 (resized).JPG
#48 4 years ago

I find with the Polk sub splitting the input to both left and right helps. Usually right is the mono in on a sub so like others have said try that first.

#49 4 years ago

It looks correct to me. I just cant figure why it wouldnt be working.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I find with the Polk sub splitting the input to both left and right helps. Usually right is the mono in on a sub so like others have said try that first.

No, you can ruin your sub/pin doing that. I would not advise. Thats a bridged connection. When I first read about hooking up a sub to a pinball machine, I was told never to do that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gilroy, CA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 72.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 40.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-am-i-doing-wrong and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.