Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Shane300zx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2340_(Large).JPG
    RES_63marjpg.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

First post, so please be gentle

I was just curious as to why there has always been a sort of deference to the vintage pachinko games from the pinball community. I mean, what cooler accent could you have in a gameroom than an old 50's-60's-70's pachinko machine? I've been restoring these now for a few years, and sure, they were made in Japan, and sure, they were not coin-op, but seriously. They do look pretty cool, and both evolved from the same basic idea.

Pachinko and pinball really are like two brothers. I just wonder why they seem to be mutually exclusive. Any ideas?

RES_63marjpg.jpgRES_63marjpg.jpg

#2 12 years ago

To be honest, pachinko does absolutely nothing for me. Never has. Unless it's being used for gambling, I don't even see the point.

#3 12 years ago

In my case this was the surrogate while I lived in an apartment that definitely wouldn't appreciate a full-sized pin. This was a project pin from ebay - cost more to ship it than I paid as a non working unit. Opened it up and reconnected the incorrectly installed shooter spring and its worked great since. I refurbed a good portion of the mechanics (sticking from dirty balls), but haven't worked on lighting it up yet (9v). Next is to touch up the pf paint. Very much more difficult with all the pins and plastic.

IMG_2340_(Large).JPGIMG_2340_(Large).JPG

#4 12 years ago

I had one once which was also a original parlor machine. I restored it but ended up just giving it away to a church to have as a distraction on bingo nights.

#5 12 years ago

I would love to have a modern one to hang in the game room garage.

#6 12 years ago

I would love an old one where you manually fire the balls. It seems to me there is maybe more skill in those. Also I love some of the Japanese horror and gangster movies so I'd love to have one at some point.

#7 12 years ago

I think they're kind of cool and the culture of pachi players is somewhat interesting, however, I am a player foremost. The play of a pachinko is just not fun to me in the same way that Bingo and pre-flipper pinballs (which were used for gambling) are not fun. If you take the gambling out of the equation they lose a lot of appeal.

Some enjoy the collecting aspect of pinball and I know many who enjoy repairing them and almost never play. The collectors and tinkerers might like Pachinko.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

I think they're kind of cool and the culture of pachi players is somewhat interesting

While the machines themselves might be interesting, i find the pachinko culture some of the worst japan has to offer.
    Pachinko parlors are noisy, smokey and generally full of looser idiots and yakyza wanabee's
    the stores have ugly facades, are owned by shady gangsters. the business adds nothing positive to the community
    People loose quite large amounts of money playing those things.
    I hate pachinko

#9 12 years ago

noisy and boring...meh...bingos suck too...

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

Pachinko parlors are noisy, smokey and generally full of looser idiots and yakyza wanabee's
    the stores have ugly facades, are owned by shady gangsters. the business adds nothing positive to the community
    People loose quite large amounts of money playing those things

Welcome to 80s/90s arcades

I have often though of adding one, but the same issue arises for me - no flippers or other means to a skilled game other than the shooter rod. It is interesting that they did not in fact develop some sort of flipper system.

#12 12 years ago

I have a modern one with a screen hanging on the wall. It gets very little play, mostly there for decoration. I would say the biggest difference is that pachinko is a very random game, pinball is more skill.

#13 12 years ago

how does on play the game?
    I mean what do you shot for?

#14 12 years ago

Pachinko launches a ball up and around the the top, and then you watch it trickle down the pins and hope it falls in the right scoop.

Repeat.

Great for drunk gambling, not a lot of skill involved.

#15 12 years ago

bummer,
    had some room in the bathroom could have a seat and get some game in

#16 12 years ago

I got a Woody Woodpecker pachinko. I had another but I gave it away. It really just a decoration as I haven't turned it on in quite a while.
    It's for sale!

#17 12 years ago

Boring just turn the knob and watch the balls drop.

#18 12 years ago

came across one in an antique shop owner said it was from the 1970s didn't work
    wanted $300 for it

#19 12 years ago

I personally find pachinko CL ads annoying because most call them Japanese Pinball. I don't consider it pinball, even though there are pins and steel balls. It is a totally different game, a game of chance rather than skill like pinball. I wish folks would just call them Pachinkos Machines on CL because that is what they are. All the pachinko ads tend to clutter up CL pinball listings. Today I clicked on a ad for soccer pinball thinking it might be World Cup Soccer or something, but it was actually a foosball table. These ads are pretty annoying. I am looking forward to getting a Macross Fever Pachinko, because it has amazing user interface included. I could also go for a Indiana Jones or Speed Racer Pachinko too. If anyone is interested in nice pachinko machines, checkout http://custompachinkos.com
    they have the latest and greatest. I hear most of the older pachinko machines are impossible to fix, so there is a reliability issue with the older machines.

#20 12 years ago

Terrable. You crack me up! "the master of succinctness!"

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from n2kenai:

I hear most of the older pachinko machines are impossible to fix, so there is a reliability issue with the older machines.

There are several businesses that can do repairs and restoration on vintage and antique pachinko machines, and even have restored pachinko machines for sale. check out http://pachinkoplanet.com for example. Pachinko machines and pinball machines both evolved from the 1920's corinthian bagatelle machines, the japanese just went vertical because Japan has such a premium on space. My gameroom has several nice examples which take up little more space than a movie poster would.

#22 12 years ago

most pinball fans probably find pachinko exceedingly boring. the website is nice but $700-2000 for a vintage pachinko? I have a hard time believing anyone has bought any and would pay that since these things are everywhere and can be found in good shape for 30 bucks.

#23 12 years ago

My mom bought me one because she thought it was like pinball. It is older. I am going to refub it and hang it. Worth looking at for decoration, pretty boring to play. Pretty much all luck.

#24 12 years ago

I actually own a Monroe pachinko machine dont understand it but never the less i own it. I fugure it takes after Marilyn Monroe.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-about-vintage-pachinko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.