Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Apollyon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC06072.JPG
    im_red3.JPG
    im_red2.JPG
    im_red1.JPG
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Went to a fellow pinsider's pin party last night and had a great time playing his pins. I got a chance to play his IM extensively and I am sold, what a great game. Now I know why they never pop up for sale aside from not many being made. Its going to the top of my wanted list! Thanks Nick for your hospitality!

#2 11 years ago

Very fun game! No doubt.

#3 11 years ago

I totally stuck my foot in my mouth and bagged on this game for being sparse looking until I played it I bought one after playing it

#4 11 years ago

One of sterns cheapest made games, but also one of their best. Don't let the lack of "features" fool you...it's a killer game!

#5 11 years ago

It's amazing how far IM has climbed since it's debut when everyone - even those who played it - was saying it was horrible.

AFM is a ridiculously cost-reduced game too, and it hasn't stopped it from being pretty popular

#6 11 years ago

Yes. Love mine. I'm surprised it's rated so low on Pinside's Top 100. Everyone's always raving about it.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

Yes. Love mine. I'm surprised it's rated so low on Pinside's Top 100. Everyone's always raving about it.

27th out of 100 is low in the top 100? huh? It's just barely out of the top quarter.

#8 11 years ago

yeah it's a very nice pin... last summer i passed on a huo for $4200... why i did that ?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

I believe it got hammered with low ratings when it first came out.

#10 11 years ago

It's one of those special games that keeps kicking my ass, but I keep going back for more.

I'm not sure I could say that about any other Stern game except for AC/DC Premium/LE.

#11 11 years ago

It's love/hate with me. Sometimes I really want one and sometimes I think that iron monger is a bit of a one trick pony. It does look gorgeous all tricked out, but when your playing, mods don't mean diddly.

#12 11 years ago

Yeah it's a ball kicker but keeps ya coming back

image.jpgimage.jpg

#13 11 years ago

First time I got on high score table since I bought it

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It's love/hate with me. Sometimes I really want one and sometimes I think that iron monger is a bit of a one trick pony. It does look gorgeous all tricked out, but when your playing, mods don't mean diddly.

You're the first person I can remember to praise IM's looks but knock it on gameplay. Usually it's reversed.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

That's one sweet looking IM......(:

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Outlanes like crazy but monger gets on the nerves after she pops up every 5 mins

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

You're the first person I can remember to praise IM's looks but knock it on gameplay. Usually it's reversed.

I don't know. I don't mean to knock it, but I accept your point. It just seems that the iron monger is coming up every 5 minutes. Maybe I'm missing the strategy to avoid the spinners to keep it DOWN sometimes, in order to fulfill different objectives. I'm always thinking in terms of "should I buy one or not", so that's where that came from maybe. I also have concerns about the depth in that way.

Like I said, I'm hot and cold. When it came out and I played it in league for the NYC pinball league I could not get enough. Then I'd play it on location and be bored. And then give it all my money next time I found it. A month ago it was in a line up of ACDC, XMEN, Tron, FGY, TSPP, SS and others and it was my favorite...and yet I ended up playing Tron more...which is a machine I'm also hot and cold on.

I really need to have a machine in m basement that I can play to my hearts content and immerse myself in before knowing the game. And I've decided that both IM and Tron are making the cut for that. It's just a matter of when. And the sooner the better!

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from EmptyLogic:

Outlanes like crazy but monger gets on the nerves after she pops up every 5 mins

wow, you too?

#19 11 years ago

IM is a fabulous game... if you have more than a few pins to play. Small collection it gets old pretty quick in my opinion.

#20 11 years ago

Love it.
    Adrenaline rush.
    Ranks up there with Tron so that I want to punch the glass in frustration for being so close.
    But what ends up happening instead of punching the glass..I push the start button again.

Attached are a few pics of my customized IM (Stark Industries Edition).

I won Best of Show - Best Custom at last weekends Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo.

im_red1.JPGim_red1.JPG im_red2.JPGim_red2.JPG im_red3.JPGim_red3.JPG

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I don't know. I don't mean to knock it, but I accept your point. It just seems that the iron monger is coming up every 5 minutes.

It's all in the setup, you have to set monger up for hard difficulty so you have to hit the middle shot to raise monger. Typical 'strategy' for the game involves concentrating on qualifying war machine, whiplash, ironman, and the ramps for stacking, so you aren't 'aiming' for the center or the orbits much anyway. You really want everything to come together at the same time, on the same ball, for any hope of getting to do or die. In this setup, you may accidentally trip monger anyway, but it's not painful by any stretch.

I used to play one on route (before I bought mine), and it was setup to raise monger on the orbits. Terrible way to play the game...

Source:
    Ironman Fanboy.

-Wes

#22 11 years ago

On IM there is nothing really besides a post to slow the ball down. I enjoy this game because it is just brutal. It got crushed in the ratings because people were bitching about Stern and the open playfield

#23 11 years ago

<blockquote
    I used to play one on route (before I bought mine), and it was setup to raise monger on the orbits. Terrible way to play the game...
    Source:
    Ironman Fanboy.
    -Wes

excellent post. right on target. good to know!

#24 11 years ago

yeah it's a very nice pin... last summer i passed on a huo for $4200... why i did that ?

I wonder if thats the one I ended up buying. Mine is an HUO and I got it from Nova Scotia for $4200! GREAT GREAT game. There is almost always a lineup when I have people over to play this game. The sound EXCELLENT shots GREAT

Love it.
    Adrenaline rush.
    Ranks up there with Tron so that I want to punch the glass in frustration for being so close.
    But what ends up happening instead of punching the glass..I push the start button again.
    I won Best of Show - Best Custom at last weekends Houston Arcade & Pinball Expo.

LOL I love what you said hassellcastle . I feel the same way. I get sooooo frustrated for being sooooo close but instead of walking away I end up pushing the start button again also ! Nice looking custom Iron Man. I love the red rails and lockdown bar. I would love to do that to mine one day. Also I love that NimblePin Limited Edition plate. Looks just like the other LE plates and would like to do something like that to mine also. But as a lot of guys already have said make sure you make the monger raise only in the middle. Makes a big difference. I also have my outlanes all the way out! Yes the ball drains a lot , but it is suppose to be a hard fast game. I had the outlanes all the way in before and found it WAY TO EASY! Iron Man = One of STERNS BEST!!!

DSC06072.JPGDSC06072.JPG

#25 11 years ago

Yeah thank you smassa

Came from a collector out west

One of my best decisions

She has a great home and gets tons of love

James

Your scores are def worthy

#26 11 years ago

I don't undestand all the hype about this game.
    This thread reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes" and I am waiting for the little kid that points out how shallow this game is.
    But if you all have so much fun with it, I have no problem with it. Keep playing it!^^
    It just isn't the right game for me.

#27 11 years ago

If you learn the rules you discover how strategic it can be. It's not an epic adventure like LOTR, but that doesn't make it shallow.

#28 11 years ago

IM should be in the top 10, it is that good!

#29 11 years ago

Sometimes I want to play a no brainer game before that important tv show/sporting event starts..... IM is the perfect fit. I know I won't miss opening kickoff or the first roadblock (Amazing Race) if I am on IM. LOTR or RBION is a different story. IM is like an 80's game on steroids...not the deepest rules, not the most complex playfield, but all the thrills of a modern era game. I think the only way I would part with mine would be to trade towards a MM (and even then I would have to think hard about it)

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Love it.Adrenaline rush.Ranks up there with Tron so that I want to punch the glass in frustration for being so close.But what ends up happening instead of punching the glass..I push the start button again.

Are you kidding me?? Did you guys see this above? You should have won best in show because that game is SICK!

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Asael:

This thread reminds me of "The Emperor's New Clothes" and I am waiting for the little kid that points out how shallow this game is.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. People love the game because of how much fun it is. Shallow, as you define it, isn't a big deal! IM is a shallow, empty playfield, cheaply built game, but it is FUN FUN FUN.

-Wes

#32 11 years ago

IM , is much more visually impressive when you replace the all lights with LEDs. It's beside XMEN, and seems to be every bit as much fun.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Banker:

IM , is much more visually impressive when you replace the all lights with LEDs. It's beside XMEN, and seems to be every bit as much fun.

Completely agree. Looks way better with LED's. Also, adding the whiplash whip lights and leds in the arc reactors in the characters' chests adds a lot too.

#34 11 years ago

Also they nailed the music and sound effects in the game. It rocks with a shaker. Adds to the adrenaline factor.

Some of the voice call outs are a bit off (context and volume), but Jarvis does a great job talking you through the game. They should do something like that with Avengers. Maybe with Agent Colston.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-a-great-game-im and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.