What a great game ......Dr Who

By sulli10

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So picked up one of these a few weeks ago and all I can say is wow!

This game has it all in my opinion.
Shots with both flippers
Strategy ( the 7 doctors)
Sound. The sonic booms are outstanding
A great three level toy
A pretty cool video mode
Color DMD dots Look really good
A topper that has a flasher during multi ball
Play field multipliers
Nice light show
Good looking play field and cabinet

This game does not get a lot of discussion here but for the money, I am really impressed.

#2 6 years ago

If Stern released a game like this today people would be going crazy. Instead we get a starfighter on a spring and groot that opens it's mouth.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

If Stern released a game like this today people would be going crazy. Instead we get a starfighter on a spring and groot that opens it's mouth.

#5 6 years ago

Sold mine because we couldn't stand the music. Loved the gameplay but got tired of playing it with the sound off.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Sold mine because we couldn't stand the music. Loved the gameplay but got tired of playing it with the sound off.

Maybe you should have tried the pinsound board?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

It's kind of a love/hate game and it's mostly attributed to the terrible audio. Were it a DCS game, it *might* have helped it but at least for me, the sound is the #1 killer of it and theme is #2 killer of it for me anyway. Other than that it shoots as good as most 90s Williams.

#8 6 years ago

I agree that the shots are great but I'd disagree about the strategy. It has 7 doctors but they're not balanced and most of them just don't really do anything. Game becomes a lot of "sonic booms all day" or "video modes all day" etc. Regardless, there's still a lot to love on the game too, the three layer toy and the multiball are absolutely radical. Overall it's not a game that I'd personally be owning long term though.

#9 6 years ago

I had my eye on a dw on craigslist but the guy wants $3900 for it and the cabinet looks very faded. What should one like that go for if playfield is decent?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

I had my eye on a dw on craigslist but the guy wants $3900 for it and the cabinet looks very faded. What should one like that go for if playfield is decent?

That’s high, 3k should be about right. I just sold a loaded one - Colordmd, pinsound custom mix, lit speaker panel, every mod, for 4200

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I agree that the shots are great but I'd disagree about the strategy. It has 7 doctors but they're not balanced and most of them just don't really do anything. Game becomes a lot of "sonic booms all day" or "video modes all day" etc. Regardless, there's still a lot to love on the game too, the three layer toy and the multiball are absolutely radical. Overall it's not a game that I'd personally be owning long term though.

I think the strategies are there for the Doctors. Doctor number 5 helps you quickly acquire/ stack other Doctors. All the Doctors have value and I am presently trying to stack them all before going into multi ball which is pretty cool considering the vintage of this game. Doctors either help you get points or extra balls. The real discrepancy in doctor value is slighter then people think. Having all the Doctors active for multi ball is where it is at the games best.

Sonic booms with a sub woofer is one of the best sound effects I have heard.

The Who triple combo is very satisfying and it is time adjustable.

The video mode difficulty factor is also adjustable .

Looking at what games where being produced in the late 1980’s / early 1990’s this game is pretty deep.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

Maybe you should have tried the pinsound board?

There was no such thing back when I owned it....

#13 6 years ago

A most excellent game.

#14 6 years ago

Most annoying, unbalanced multiplayer game ever created. If you mute it and play it by yourself, I guess it’s tolerable.

#15 6 years ago

^^^^agreed. Sold mine a few years ago for $1550 and it sat for weeks. A can’t believe what they are selling for now.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s high, 3k should be about right. I just sold a loaded one - Colordmd, pinsound custom mix, lit speaker panel, every mod, for 4200

I agree sounds high for a very faded cabinet example.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Most annoying, unbalanced multiplayer game ever created. If you mute it and play it by yourself, I guess it’s tolerable.

Why would you mute it the music is kick ass. I am a tournament player and I don't think the game is unbalanced.

#18 6 years ago

Adding pinsound and all the custom tracks, and new pinsound speakers (wired for stereo) and subwoofer, made a big difference IMO. My favourites are the 2 funky 1970s versions of THAT theme tune. ColorDMD helps too. One of the best PF mechs around, I reckon.

As for the theme, the programme goes from strength to strength, so there will always be big interest in it. Indeed, such is the success of the programme, there's a good case for a new machine

#19 6 years ago

Love me some DW, mine is never leaving

#20 6 years ago

I love Doctor Who. I hope to find one this year. I really like the pinsound 'metal' theme.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Why would you mute it the music is kick ass. I am a tournament player and I don't think the game is unbalanced.

Well, you are wrong. It’s certainly unbalanced for players 2,3 and 4.

#22 6 years ago

How explain if it is so unbalanced why was it used last year or the year before during Indisc Papa circuit event. do you mean shooting the stand up to lock a ball.

#23 6 years ago

It's not bad but the Sonic booms are just to valuable to be ignored.

#24 6 years ago

I owned it for 10 years, it’s a fun and pretty difficult game, lots of risk/reward shots. I never liked the sounds of the game, though. It’s been gone about 6 years and to this day, the music is still stuck in my head.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's not bad but the Sonic booms are just to valuable to be ignored.

I totally agree with you the law but you can put big rubbers on the H hang on shot to make it hard to feed the side ramp.

#26 6 years ago

This is an excellent game to just play and have fun with it. The sonic boom ramp is SUPER fun, Doing those loops. The selection of the doctors is a totally unnecessary, fun extra feature (what other games does this?), the video mode (set on hard) is really fun, and the mini play field is completely superior to that in any other game.

The game is a pretty quick shooter but it is a perfect 5-minute game. With the right lighting changes and the Pinsound soundtrack (that really is important), the game lives dramatically on. Lots of “one more game...” Wish I still had mine...

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I totally agree with you the law but you can put big rubbers on the H hang on shot to make it hard to feed the side ramp.

I think that's what papa does... The most insanely hard one I've ever played.

#28 6 years ago

Thanks for the referral to pinsound. Until reading about it on this thread, I thought it was just a rotten dog-like replacement sound board for people who couldn’t take care of their machines.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 110.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-a-great-game-dr-who?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.