• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

texas_pinball_festival_2014205.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Holy. Crap. Best. TPF. EVER.

Load in, super easy IMO, but I got there very early. Hotel rooms, nice, not the best mattress in the world to me, but is what it is..they're not going to put in SleepNumbers. Was a genuine shock to find a shower with a curtain that actually was not falling off the hooks or the bar. Don't even get me started on happy hour and free booze. The free breakfast was actually pretty good for a basic breakfast buffet type setup.

Tourney games were: Star Trek (Stern), Mustang, Metallica, Medieval Madness, Stargazer, Seawitch, Slick Chick, and Atlantis. By far the best tourney lineup in the three years I've gone so far. I played my first round of qualifiers early on friday and did well enough that I almost immediately qualified for "A" division in most of the tourneys... I didn't really start getting knocked down until Saturday morning. I think the highlight of my qualifying scores was posting over 1 million on Seawitch (clearcoated and restored, fast as hell), 750k on Stargazer (Also clearcoated and restored, massive spinner action and super active pops and slings...thanks for that. Now it's on my want list.).

In the end, I ended up qualifying for A on EM's, B on Classics, C on Texas Tilt (MM and Metallica), and C on Modern (Star Trek and Mustang), I think. I ended up taking 2nd place in A div EM's (!!!! HOLY ....) after playing 2nd being 7th seed (!!!) and then watching a LOT of really good players not make it to the 57k mark that I had. I beat one person by 290 points on Atlantis, which is to say they lost by THREE POP BUMPER HITS. The games were SUPER CLOSE this year across the board, and I actually had to bust out my calculator on Spider-Man on the parent and child tourney where my opponent's kid pretty much matched my score dead on, and he matched my kid's score nearly dead on. Tilts were VERY reasonable this year IMO with maybe one or two very small exceptions that were manageable, not egregious. Also ended up taking 10th place in Texas State Champ A div (!!!! HOLY ....) which is just way better than I really had any right to do. Mad props to Cary Fishman and his kid Zach (who was the top qualifier for A div BTW...he was the one I had the 290 point lead on Atlantis in EM finals, he finished 3rd. )...they're both awesome player. I don't know anything about the guy who won so I'll stick to people I met and played with.

So yeah...I did very well in the tourneys, which I'm extremely pleased with. There was only one small hiccup with the new tourney software, not sure of the whole story on that, but they took scores on paper for an hour or so, restarted the tablets, and all seemed to be copacetic from there on out far as I could tell.

So, we get to the end of the show, I'm exhausted, ready to go. And I finally got my Safecracker token for this year (Thanks Marc...I know you don't have to put those things in there, but it sure does make it something special to get it.) after watching my wife get two back to back the night before, when she was HAMMERED to boot. That was a good smile and very satisfying to beat that game. Anyone that hasn't played it has missed out, and anyone that didn't at least look at the Warlords cocktail missed out too. As far as I can tell it was occupied by small children most of the weekend....pretty cool to see 4 kids get competitve on an arcade game at the same time. Days gone by and all that.

2:30 rolls around and they call up everyone to announce the "Best of Show" awards. We won 1st place for "Custom" category for our STTNG, which is still kind of outrageous to me. I was not expecting that at all. Getting a ribbon at TPF for a game is a nice vindication of all the hard work I try to put into my games. We got TONS of compliments both on STTNG and Jackbot all weekend long. I checked the audits and both of them got over 500 plays. All of my games survived the show, the only minor malfunction was on Jackbot's lift ramp...coil locked on, don't know why, asked Rob Anthony to look at the board and no go on that, as there was nothing wrong with my board, so I've got some digging to do to locate the actual problem, but it was playable all weekend long with the ramp disabled and everyone could still get credit for the double points shot that way. I had 5 pins there, STTNG, Magic, Metallica (In the tourney area, opened NIB on thursday! 350 plays!), Jackbot, and Future Spa. Also had a Raiden Fighters arcade. All survived.

Played MMR, was fun. Played Mustang, was fun with horrible callouts but good play and mode implementation. Played Predator, but only one game so dunno what to think....the ramps light up from the blacklight. *shrug* P3 was freakin' cool. Star Trek Mirror Universe looked fantastic, especially the nixie tube displays, and it won Best of Show for the whole thing.

Didn't have a single rude or bad experience all weekend long. I'm begging to keep this venue. Now I'm looking forward to modding Metallica out, making Jackbot even better, hopefully restoring Magic, and bringing them back next year. Awesome time, awesome show.

#2 10 years ago

This venue is a winner. Hope it sticks here forever.

#3 10 years ago

Good seeing you at the event Frax. Wish we could have visited longer. Next time!

#5 10 years ago

I'm working on a trade for metallica too.

#6 10 years ago

Good to see you and the wife there. Watch out for that Monkey Fist I gave her.

#7 10 years ago

@ Frax

Lets see some pics of your award-winning STTNG!

#8 10 years ago

Ya I fell in love with that star gazer too. It was the only reason I did ok in the state b division. Congrats on your star trek! It really was nice.

#9 10 years ago

Had the most amazing time I can possibly remember. This will be a yearly trip for sure. Maybe I'll bring a couple of cabs next year!

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

LMFAO, yeah, that thing is hilarious. I was telling her she should find a way to put it with STTNG since it matches all the purple.

Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

@ Frax
Lets see some pics of your award-winning STTNG!

I promise I'll get some pics up and post them here soon as I can. The only game I even bothered to set up last night was Metallica, and I'm pretty sure I'll probably be working both jobs today and tomorrow, off on wed/thursday so probably around then. =)

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

You give great monkey fist, Mezel. It was great meeting you too!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I ended up taking 2nd place in A div EM's

Quoted from Frax:

We won 1st place for "Custom" category for our STTNG, which is still kind of outrageous to me.

Congrats on both of these.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Congrats on both of these.

Thanks. I put up a little LED OCD logo on the backglass as well. Looking forward to the GI board as well.

#14 10 years ago

Great write-up Frax. Congratulations on your awards! Sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with you. I agree that this was the best TPF ever and the best venue ever. Hopefully the TPF has found a long-term home!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Holy. Crap. Best. TPF. EVER...

Agree, the Texas guys are doing an amazing job improving this show every year. The world record thing was crazy and neat to be a part of.

All of my games survived the show, the only minor malfunction was on Jackbot's lift ramp...coil locked on, don't know why, asked Rob Anthony to look at the board and no go on that...

This sounds as though I wasn't able to fix it. Definitely not the case, the board was just 100%. Problem not on the driver board.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

This sounds as though I wasn't able to fix it. Definitely not the case, the board was just 100%. Problem not on the driver board.

Correct, didn't mean to imply that at ALL. Was kind of late last night. The problem is somewhere else on my machine and I have to run it down. I was just grateful you were able to take a look at it for me, and now I have some TIP102s in case something DOES die in the future.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Correct, didn't mean to imply that at ALL. Was kind of late last night. The problem is somewhere else on my machine and I have to run it down. I was just grateful you were able to take a look at it for me, and now I have some TIP102s in case something DOES die in the future.

I didn't think you were implying that at all, just sounded unclear to me and wanted to make it clear. There's not much with WPC boards that I wouldn't fix at a show.

Ed and Kim have some great ideas for next year, hopefully less people will walk in and say; "I had no idea you were here."

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Didn't have a single rude or bad experience all weekend long.

Ah, there was one. You putting up 74 million on your ball in the draw your partner tournament against me was pretty rude. Just kidding of course That was a hell of a ball. My partner and I were in awe as we kept watching the score going.

Agreed this was a great show this year and the tournament ran MUCH better. Great job to all those involved.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Ah, there was one. You putting up 74 million on your ball in the draw your partner tournament against me was pretty rude. Just kidding of course That was a hell of a ball. My partner and I were in awe as we kept watching the score going.
Agreed this was a great show this year and the tournament ran MUCH better. Great job to all those involved.

LOL, sorry about that. I love Spider-Man, if it wasn't obvious.

#20 10 years ago

Yep great show. Took 4 games to sell, and sold 3. Figured Silverball would have sold at $850 but it didn't. I had a couple of lowball offers, but Im not desperate to move it.
Elvis left the building at TPF. Setting up my new Met Pro I picked up TPF this evening. Looking forward to this evening.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I promise I'll get some pics up and post them here soon as I can. The only game I even bothered to set up last night was Metallica, and I'm pretty sure I'll probably be working both jobs today and tomorrow, off on wed/thursday so probably around then. =)

Here's one, thanks to Ken Kemp/Pinball Rebel.

texas_pinball_festival_2014205.jpgtexas_pinball_festival_2014205.jpg
#22 10 years ago

Maybe some of theses other shows need to understand people like a clean hotels, great food and parking and a friendly staff. I can stay at a road stop anytime and use a gasoline bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in 20years.

#23 10 years ago

Free happy hour was great for Hotel guests to the show!

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Ed and Kim have some great ideas for next year, hopefully less people will walk in and say; "I had no idea you were here."
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics

Ya I felt bad for you. I came into your room 2 or 3 times and each time only a couple of people in there checking out the great products you have. I bought a hundred bucks worth of stuff, but easily could have spent $200-$300 more. Great mods that nobody else had. It was nice to meet you and I can't wait to assemble my RAM tester and put it to use!

#25 10 years ago

If that Jackbot got 500 plays, I was good for about 100 of those. Love that game and yours was excellent!

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

If that Jackbot got 500 plays, I was good for about 100 of those. Love that game and yours was excellent!

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate that! Still kind of hard to fathom that game was dumped off a pallet and ended up full of glass and upside down. I just installed the LED OCD in it, and have find out why the ramp is being finicky now.

I still need to get a good pic of STTNG. We have it set back up now. The powdercoat trim is godawful hard to photograph. It's a very deep violet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-a-friggin-weekend-re-tpf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.