Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171210_172024 (resized).jpg
BK2K (resized).jpg
box (resized).jpg
IMG_1837 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hey everyone,

This is a bit of a long read, so if you're easily bored, move along. Nothing to see here. For those who want to know me on a bit of a personal level though, sit back and enjoy the story.

So, a couple months ago, I got a bit heated in a thread with fellow Pinsider, Who-Dey, and I was given some friendly advice to remember that it's only pinball. Who-Dey and I took things to PM, and we quickly amended everything between us. Heck, we still PM to at the time of this writing. I made a commitment that once things settled down in my life, I'd post on it to help explain why I've been a bit distant and somewhat of a debbie-downer/making overly critical posts up to October.

So, a year ago, I had a lot of things together. I had paid off my student loans, which I made a thread about almost a year ago today (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/student-loans-paid). I had a home built with my wife of 6.5 years, we both had great paying jobs, and everything was clicking. Then everything changed....

They say in life that 80% of it is not what you do but how you respond to situations that unfold around you. If so, boy, has life been interesting. So, as some know, I am active duty AF - done it 8.5 years, and I don't look to end until I'm 20 years and 1 month in (1 month to make sure they can't mess anything up and deny me my military pension, but I digress). I love serving, and there are so many hidden benefits, but there are also some very unfortunate stipulations you must accept - one of which being the inevitable move every 3-4 years as an officer. Well, I made it 5 years at Wright-Patterson in Dayton, OH, but my time ran out, and I was forced to move to Eglin AFB in the Florida Panhandle. Now, I am from Pensacola, so living only 1 hour from home would seem great, right? Well, one thing I learned is that when you join the military, it's a good idea to put home in your rear-view mirror and don't really look back until you retire. That being said, going home to the Panhandle was very bitter-sweet. I had really gotten comfortable in Dayton, and we had actually considered settling down for good there - hence - why we had a home built. Why build a home unless you PLAN to get out of the military? Well, we had a change of heart and decided to stay in, so we had to put the home up for sale and move to Florida.

Now, my wife had a fantastic job in Dayton in the private sector, and while she had accepted a contracting job at Eglin, we wanted to keep our finances solid with 2 homes (1 in Dayton for sale and the other in Florida). So, while we waited for her clearances to clear, we agreed she would stay in Dayton until they had come through. Without her clearances, she could not work, and we'd be paying for two homes with one incomes - not an ideal situation. So, we waited - after all - it was supposed to only be 1 month and she'd be good. Heh....one month...try six months.

Now, 6 months from your significant other can be very hard on a marriage. It is doubly hard when one of you wants an open marriage, and the other does not. As time went along, for whatever reason, she decided she wanted more than our marriage and requested we have an open marriage. As a military member with clearances, that is a very big "no". It is punishable through a certain code of military rules, and it can open a member up to coersion, which is very bad when you have clearances. I tried to explain these things to her, but ultimately, the marriage could not be saved. She wanted one thing, and I wanted another, and I had to accept that our 7 year ride was over.

This took me a solid 3-4 months to accept. She told me in May 2017, and I was not really ready to "let go and move on" until September 2017. She had emotionally punched out over a year ago, and it was just hitting me at once like a bag of bricks. I had to use every resource provided to me from counseling to seeing the chaplain to seeing the military family life counselor - it was not easy, and quite frankly, I am very blessed to still be here. My world was falling apart, and I couldn't seem to do anything about it.

It did not help that the house just would not sell. We had it listed, and it took 10 months and $160K in price drops before we finally got an offer. The offer was a short sale, which fell through two times. Two different realtor companies tried to sell the thing to absolutely no avail, and boy, let me tell you, THAT will stress you out on a level that I have never known. Doesn't help to watch $2000+ a month leave your bank to a home sitting in another state that no one will by or rent....just sucked so badly.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: I did all of the negotiating with the house and the divorce paperwork pretty much completely and totally by myself. I got no help at all - while working as active duty and on my masters in systems engineering at USC. All the help I got from her was "sign here and here"; she did NONE of the work at all on either of those two items, which are arguably two of the most stressful events anyone can ever go through.

So life sucked for quite a while. At one point, I was almost on suicide watch; it was that bad. Trust me when I say here: I am leaving out a lot of details and giving everyone here the abridged version. Thing though: no matter how bad things get, things do tend to eventually work themselves out.

Now, I'm not going to proselytize my faith/beliefs here: I think saying that alone hints at Who/What I want to give credit to for how things turned around in my life. My ex-wife and I divorced, and it was a VERY amicable breakup with no nastiness or virulent actions taken against one another. We separated our stuff, we had always kept our finances separate, and we applied for a simplified dissolution of marriage which went through without a hitch. We continued to pay equal halves of the mortgage in Dayton without incident, and we have worked together to wrap the house up.

The home is currently going through a deed-in-lieu, and I will soon be giving the deed to the house back to the lender and be absolved of all debt and deficiency. Legally, I need to stop there and say no more. I will be SO happy when that is over - that will be the last part of my "old life", and I'll be able to close the book on my past in Dayton.

I have been so insanely blessed to meet my new girl on Eglin AFB, and we click on nearly every single level there is. We share the same faith, same life goals, same ideas moving forward. We don't sweat the little things, we want to be happy together, we don't argue about trivial things, and we are always happy to see one another. I love helping her in everything to include raising her 5 year old son, and I never thought I'd see the day I wanted to be father and more importantly, a dad - but I really like him, and I know being with her is a package deal; I don't get to pick and choose - it's all or none. And I want it all.

I want it all so much, I decided to put a ring on her finger and call her mine last night.

20171224_222504 (resized).jpg20171224_222504 (resized).jpg

Because sometimes you just know. You don't need to spend years together before making a plunge with someone you love. You just do it.

So, with the last week of 2017 here, I am going to pick up a gorgeous CFTBL from a fellow pinsider in Louisiana - my first new pin since 01 January 2017 - nearly an entire year. After all, it is super important to know you're financially situated before buying these toys, and patience has been a virtue I have learned about in spades this year. After this year, I have enough patience to open my own hospital (wait a minute...).

CFTBL (resized).jpgCFTBL (resized).jpg

So why am I posting all of this? Why does it matter? Should you even care?

Well, I guess the bottom lines here is:

1. Be nice to people here. You never know the battles someone else is going through, and something like pinball may be the only thing stopping them from making a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

2. Don't judge others. I won't deny: some people make me go "WTF????", but what they do with their money or the life decisions they make are none of my business. We are all adults here, so it is probably best for us to not judge another and treat each other with respect.

3. Don't look down. Regret looks back, worry looks side to side. Keep the faith in whatever you believe in, and keep looking straight ahead/forward/up. Things do get better.

As for me, I'm glad to finally be getting my first new game in nearly 1 year to the exact day this Saturday. My future wife loves pinball, and I can't wait to wife her up and walk the road of life with her by my side. She is proof that "things are going to change now for the better". We will be at TPF 2018, and I hope to meet some of you there at my first time attending TPF. Here's to hoping 2018 is a great year for everyone!

20171224_224623 (resized).jpg20171224_224623 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Congrats on turning it all around!

#3 6 years ago

Nice story and best of luck to both of you and if you hang in there it always does get better.

#4 6 years ago

Great advice. Merry Christmas and thanks for your service!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

My future wife loves pinball

Congrats, that's all that matters.

#6 6 years ago

That's good to hear! You may not remember, but you and I met at the Ohio show a year or two ago. Good luck in everything you do going forward!

#7 6 years ago

Very nice.
If this doesn't tell you that this is a community... not just pinball.
(although you could have put the ring on a pinball machine, not a pool table.

#8 6 years ago

Congratulations on the new relationship and the new pin.

Also, Mudflaps says he likes you, but I’m not sure that’s a compliment.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Also, Mudflaps says he likes you....

IMG_1837 (resized).JPGIMG_1837 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

Looks like 2018 is going start off with a bang for you. Congratulations to you and your future wife, you deserve it!

#11 6 years ago

Congrats! Now try waiting 30 years. Merry Christmas!

box (resized).jpgbox (resized).jpg

BK2K (resized).jpgBK2K (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Great story and congrats. Life is a lot like pinball up & downs and no matter how well you play it can still be sdtm. As long as you have another ball to play you always have a shot at doing well & turning things around

#13 6 years ago

great story, and thanks for sharing and I can relate on so many levels as experienced some very similar events in life. The best part is though I sure like for me will be for you that in a years time you will look back and know that everything was meant to be and you are much better off for it and learned some valuable lessons in life like the last 3 points you stated and puts things into perspective.

congrats and have a great future and enjoy CFTBL

#14 6 years ago

Life can be unpredictable that is for sure. Glad you got to a better place. Finding that path out of dark times in your life is not easy.

#15 6 years ago

Look forward to seeing ya in Louisiana!

#16 6 years ago

Congratulations on getting out of the storm. Great advice.

#17 6 years ago

Congratulations on your engagement! Glad you were able to use the resources at your disposal to find your 'happy place' again!

#18 6 years ago

Sadly sometimes the road to a better place isn't always a direct route but I am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason". Best of luck to you & your new love! And more importantly thanks for your service! Without our military to protect us none of us would be enjoying the ways things are here in the best country on earth. Even with as crazy as some things have gotten here I still would not want to live anywhere else! And without all the people in uniform this country wouldn't be what it is today.

#19 6 years ago

Congratulations and best wishes !

LTG : )

#20 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing, NPO. Your story reminds me of some shit I went through about ten years ago. The love of my life at the time left me over the phone and the real estate crash cost me my house and more. I'm amazed at how quickly you've rebounded. You are the man. Merry Christmas indeed!

#21 6 years ago

Way to stay resilient man! Im starting over myself having just retired after 20yrs in the AF. Upcoming surgery and starting school as a 40yr old freshman

Glad things are turning your way again!

Happy Holidays!

#22 6 years ago

Congratulations! Thank you for your service! That's life man, sometimes it really sucks, some times it's awesome! But the best part is it doesn't suck forever! It almost always gets better!

#23 6 years ago

I’m happy for you. I personally feel your pain on just about every aspect of your story and I can say there is a light at the end of the tunnel for sure. I still really need to sell my house lol. It’s the last hold up and you aren’t kidding it is stressful!

#24 6 years ago

Glad everything is better J. You're a warrior.

#25 6 years ago

Congrats NPO

Your one of the great guy and deserve to be happy.

Creech is one of my favorites great choice

#26 6 years ago

Glad to hear you are on your way back up!

#27 6 years ago

Best wishes for you in the new year!!

2 weeks later
#28 6 years ago

Hey guys,

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who had something nice to say or thumbs-up my OP. The year has been very hard on me. I am blown away at all the changes in 13 months. I cannot wait to finally go to TPF in March. My wife-to-be and I are super-excited. And yes, she loves playing pinball - especially AFM.

That being said, I finally got the news I have been waiting on - my deed-in-lieu for my home is complete! I no longer have to pay my mortgage in Dayton; the deed to the house has been given back to the investor!!!!!!

My ex-wife and I were paying $2300 a month from March 2017 to yesterday for a home that we did not even live in that whole time. I cannot tell you how big a burden that is to be gone now.

FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, we'll see everyone in about 2 months in Texas!!! Who knows, if the vendors are nice to me, I might just buy a GOT Pro. That's the next game she wants, and well.......happy wife = happy life : ).

20171210_172024 (resized).jpg20171210_172024 (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

The huge bright side is you had no kids with your ex from I can tell. That would have made the cost of everything three times as much and you don't get to see your kids as much as you would like. If you got out with no alimony or child support you are way ahead from the start.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

The huge bright side is you had no kids with your ex from I can tell. That would have made the cost of everything three times as much and you don't get to see your kids as much as you would like. If you got out with no alimony or child support you are way ahead from the start.

And you forgot the most important part. If he had kids he would still have to deal with her for the next 15-20 years probably! Now he can just give her the old one finger salute and say SEE YA *****!! (insert your own word)

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-a-difference-a-year-makes-1?hl=dodgefolks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.