View topic image gallery

A258E02E-B8D3-48A5-9D4D-6E719E498D0A (resized).jpeg
28F11721-A648-4963-AE62-382D7101B477 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 11.16.08 AM (resized).png
50118865-5381-46D7-83E0-165F18D2852A (resized).jpeg
51NKVKNGVHL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
MV5BOGRlZTdhOGYtODc5NS00YmJkLTkzN2UtZDMyYmRhZWM1NTQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4Nzk4MDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpg
1E50651A-D4EB-49F7-B7A9-81BAA1E00D96 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
Mohicansposter (resized).jpg
iu-1 (resized).jpeg
repo man (resized).PNG
a5af80daa1e7e35ba02e7d971cc41afa (resized).jpg
R.72202fde4b92e1b5fd7cbd1badb6df0b (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 2 years ago

No particular order culled from this list.

I have seen most of these more than once, some almost yearly.

Ones with the * are must see.

Close encounters of the 3rd kind
*Better off dead
*Alien and Aliens
*Ghostbusters
One Crazy Summer
The Shining
A Fish Called Wanda
Beverly Hills Cop
Innerspace
*The Thing
Stripes
*Blues Brothers
Coming to America
*Commando
*Escape from New York
*Road Warrior
Moscow on the Hudson
*Terminator 1 and 2
Silence of the Lambs
Animal House
Unforgiven
*Tombstone
*Cannonball Run
*Star Trek II
Rambo: First Blood
*Predator
Christine
*They Live
*Highlander
*Robocop

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That’s a great list (along with many others in this thread). And bonus, you included They Live! Man that movie is so good.

There are so many entertaining movies that came out in this timeframe that it is hard to generate a definitive list (which will vary anyways depending on your individual tastes) and even then some will be missed.

Eraser was good and how did I miss the classic Demolition Man and Blade?

Just watch DM a few months ago, still holds up pretty well and some wicked satire.

The only movie I'd be hesitant to recommend is The Shining. I have watched it 2 or 3 times and not as good as I remember the first viewing. The first viewing however was superbly creepy, I think the "not knowing what is coming next" was a big factor.

#68 2 years ago

Oh and one just past the cutoff date?

Grosse Pointe Blank 1997

The highwater point in Cusack's career as far as I'm concerned till he did The Numbers Station in 2013 which if you squint is the same character. The 2013 movie is a serious action drama though and very, very good.

Grosse Pointe Blank is some of the finest dark comedy and as a bonus Dan Aykroyd as a side character totally annihilates the scenery.

a5af80daa1e7e35ba02e7d971cc41afa (resized).jpga5af80daa1e7e35ba02e7d971cc41afa (resized).jpg
#74 2 years ago

Under Siege

Another must see.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from DDandB-KID:

Bad boys 1982 with Sean Penn
The world according to Garp 1982 with Robin Williams

I just rewatched Garp, did not hold up well at all.

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from Eightball88:

Two of my faves….
Patton, followed by Dr. Strangelove, would show George C. Scott’s range!

One of my favs but out of OP date range.

3 months later
#114 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Cool story about Donald Sutherland's mistake. I had never heard that before. Animal House is fantastic. Right up there for me with Monty Python's Holy Grail.

You should read the background story on The Blues Brothers. The studio almost lost their minds on cost overruns, cocaine was a line item in the budget and John Belushi would wander off the set, show up at random strangers houses and invite himself to dinner.

Literally <knock knock> "Hey I'm John Belushi, what you folks having for dinner?"

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

You should read the background story on The Blues Brothers. The studio almost lost their minds on cost overruns, cocaine was a line item in the budget and John Belushi would wander off the set, show up at random strangers houses and invite himself to dinner.
Literally <knock knock> "Hey I'm John Belushi, what you folks having for dinner?"

Some of it here-

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-of-the-blues-brothers

1 month later
#130 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Some of the suggestions here (does not include yours) are ridiculous and stupid. A few are on the mark and a few are good surprises. All in good fun, carry on.

Different tastes for different folks. Plenty on your list same as mine, others I'd not be caught dead watching.

#137 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

lots of good choices already. I did not notice these.
das boat (the boat)
leon the professional

Both good, though I think das boat holds up better.

Just watched Leon a year or two ago again and the pedophile vibes creeped my wife and I out badly.

#139 1 year ago
Quoted from Mrbill:

yeah, might want to avoid the extended international version of leon. Its a bit more creepy than the USA release the professional.
I always wanted to watch the german tv series of das boat. I saw the movie when it came out in SF with subtitles and when it was over, I barely remember reading the subtitles. the dubbed version is fine for wider appeal.

Pretty sure I saw the extended version of Leon.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-1975-1995-movies-do-you-recommend?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.