View topic image gallery

A258E02E-B8D3-48A5-9D4D-6E719E498D0A (resized).jpeg
28F11721-A648-4963-AE62-382D7101B477 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 11.16.08 AM (resized).png
50118865-5381-46D7-83E0-165F18D2852A (resized).jpeg
51NKVKNGVHL._SY445_ (resized).jpg
MV5BOGRlZTdhOGYtODc5NS00YmJkLTkzN2UtZDMyYmRhZWM1NTQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4Nzk4MDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpg
1E50651A-D4EB-49F7-B7A9-81BAA1E00D96 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
Mohicansposter (resized).jpg
iu-1 (resized).jpeg
repo man (resized).PNG
a5af80daa1e7e35ba02e7d971cc41afa (resized).jpg
R.72202fde4b92e1b5fd7cbd1badb6df0b (resized).jpeg
There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#52 2 years ago

Full metal jacket. I saw it mentioned in a couple other posts as well.

#53 2 years ago

One flew over the cukoos nest

#54 2 years ago

HOLY SHIT!!!

SUPER FUZZ!!!!

I have been trying to remember the name of a movie I saw when I was young and it has escaped me for years. As soon as I saw that title, I knew it was it. Google it, watched a clip and that's the one. Thank you!!!!

Quoted from DBLM:

A few movies not mentioned:
Action:
Unforgiven
Tombstone
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Rumble in the Bronx
Legend of Drunken Master
Bloodsport
Universal Soldier
Hard Target
Kickboxer
Uncommon Valor
Invasion USA
All the Bruce Lee movies
Bad movies you need to watch:
Gymkata
Megaforce
Super Fuzz
Over the Top
Fantasy /SciFi:
Hook
Goonies
Willow
Species

#55 2 years ago

The Princess Bride

#57 2 years ago

Here's one I don't think anyone has mentioned: Something Wicked This Way Comes from Disney. (1983)
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Here's one I don't think anyone has mentioned: Something Wicked This Way Comes from Disney. (1983)
[quoted image]

This was released on Blu-ray recently, but only to Disney Club (?) members…. You can snag one off eBay, tho.

Cool film

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

A few of my favorites:
Amadeus
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Heathers
This is Spinal Tap
To Be or Not to Be (‘83)
Wages of Fear
A Night at the Opera
The Piano
Psycho
Real Genius
ed: A few of those are from before 1975. If you’re open to it, I also recommend:
The Great Escape
2001: A Space Odyssey
Sunset Boulevard
Ace in the Hole

Thanks for all the recommendations! Based off of watching a few previews last night, I watched the first half of Amadeus last night with my wife. What a neat movie with a neat concept.. My wife likes historical dramas. We are both viewing the court composer the same way we view Delores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Will finish the other half tonight (it's a 3 hour movie!).

Thanks!

I've only seen a few of the others mentioned, but fact that The Great Escape, Monty Python, and Spinal tap all showed up on the same list steered me towards this recommendation.

I actually have The Great Escape on CED. I have no way to watch it, but the packaging is cool!

#60 2 years ago

Highlander - “There can be only one.”

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I was going to type some of my favorites out, but it's easier to just post this link....
A little fun editing project I did out of boredom in the early days of the lockdown
It's a long watch, but I think it's exactly what your'e looking for!

Really well done. I’d put many of these flics in my top 100, too.

#62 2 years ago

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure

#63 2 years ago

Go back just one more year to 1974 Dirty Mary Crazy Larry

#64 2 years ago

No particular order culled from this list.

I have seen most of these more than once, some almost yearly.

Ones with the * are must see.

Close encounters of the 3rd kind
*Better off dead
*Alien and Aliens
*Ghostbusters
One Crazy Summer
The Shining
A Fish Called Wanda
Beverly Hills Cop
Innerspace
*The Thing
Stripes
*Blues Brothers
Coming to America
*Commando
*Escape from New York
*Road Warrior
Moscow on the Hudson
*Terminator 1 and 2
Silence of the Lambs
Animal House
Unforgiven
*Tombstone
*Cannonball Run
*Star Trek II
Rambo: First Blood
*Predator
Christine
*They Live
*Highlander
*Robocop

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I am a western fan, mostly pre 1980's
Once upon a time in the West is very good, one of the best.
Although my favorite is My Name Is Nobody from 1973 one of, if not, the last great spaghetti western, both gritty and humorous with a haunting soundtrack. I think it was on Amazon or netflix recently.[quoted image]

All the ones posted so far are great. This one is often forgotten, but one of the best ever. It’s worth it for the bar scene alone.

Another great one that was mentioned is Death Race 2000. This is 1970s cheese piled up to the highest. So absolutely dumb, absurd, and over the top that it transcends into entertainment.

It was fun seeing everyone’s lists, man there were a lot of good movies from that era.

Quoted from gdonovan:

*Better off dead
*Alien and Aliens
*Ghostbusters
One Crazy Summer
The Shining
A Fish Called Wanda
Beverly Hills Cop
Innerspace
*The Thing
Stripes
*Blues Brothers
Coming to America
*Commando
*Escape from New York
*Road Warrior
Moscow on the Hudson
*Terminator 1 and 2
Silence of the Lambs
Animal House
Unforgiven
*Tombstone
*Cannonball Run
*Star Trek II
*Predator
Christine
*They Live
*Highlander
*Robocop

That’s a great list (along with many others in this thread). And bonus, you included They Live! Man that movie is so good.

You could also make a marathon out of just Arnold movies. He made a ton of them and a lot of them are sort of forgotten. But most of them are pretty good if you like that style. Besides the obvious ones already mentioned such as Terminators and Conan:

Red Heat
Raw Deal
Commando
Predator
Running Man
Twins
Kindergarten Cop
Last Action Hero
Total Recall
Eraser

#66 2 years ago

Guys, we have steered our boy wrong! How have we not directed him to sit under the learning tree and soak up the wisdom of Dalton? Throw Amadeus (great movie, BTW) right out the window and put this on RIGHT NOW! This will teach you everything you need to be a man's man that you missed by not being a kid in the 80's.

R.72202fde4b92e1b5fd7cbd1badb6df0b (resized).jpegR.72202fde4b92e1b5fd7cbd1badb6df0b (resized).jpeg
#67 2 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That’s a great list (along with many others in this thread). And bonus, you included They Live! Man that movie is so good.

There are so many entertaining movies that came out in this timeframe that it is hard to generate a definitive list (which will vary anyways depending on your individual tastes) and even then some will be missed.

Eraser was good and how did I miss the classic Demolition Man and Blade?

Just watch DM a few months ago, still holds up pretty well and some wicked satire.

The only movie I'd be hesitant to recommend is The Shining. I have watched it 2 or 3 times and not as good as I remember the first viewing. The first viewing however was superbly creepy, I think the "not knowing what is coming next" was a big factor.

#68 2 years ago

Oh and one just past the cutoff date?

Grosse Pointe Blank 1997

The highwater point in Cusack's career as far as I'm concerned till he did The Numbers Station in 2013 which if you squint is the same character. The 2013 movie is a serious action drama though and very, very good.

Grosse Pointe Blank is some of the finest dark comedy and as a bonus Dan Aykroyd as a side character totally annihilates the scenery.

a5af80daa1e7e35ba02e7d971cc41afa (resized).jpga5af80daa1e7e35ba02e7d971cc41afa (resized).jpg
#69 2 years ago

Handful that I didn't see earlier:

Interview with a Vampire
From Dusk Till Dawn (96)
The Good the Bad and the Ugly (66)
For a Few Dollars More (65)
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (74)
Omega Man (71)
Stargate
War Games
Red Dawn
Masters of the Universe
Transformers (1986)
The Princess Bride
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Under Siege
Timecop

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

*Better off dead
*Alien and Aliens
*Ghostbusters
One Crazy Summer
The Shining
A Fish Called Wanda
Beverly Hills Cop
Innerspace
*The Thing
Stripes
*Blues Brothers
Coming to America
*Commando
*Escape from New York
*Road Warrior
Moscow on the Hudson
*Terminator 1 and 2
Silence of the Lambs
Animal House
Unforgiven
*Tombstone
*Cannonball Run
*Star Trek II
*Predator
Christine
*They Live
*Highlander
*Robocop

I would put First Blood as a must see. Not so much the sequels.

#71 2 years ago

Repo Man

repo man (resized).PNGrepo man (resized).PNG
#72 2 years ago

+1 for Repo Man. What a great soundtrack!

1985's Re-animator, preferably the un-rated theatrical release. They tamed it down to get an R rating for the home video market.

iu-1 (resized).jpegiu-1 (resized).jpeg

#73 2 years ago

Bad boys 1983 with Sean Penn
The world according to Garp 1982 with Robin Williams

#74 2 years ago

Under Siege

Another must see.

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from DDandB-KID:

Bad boys 1982 with Sean Penn

I just rewatched Garp, did not hold up well at all.

#76 2 years ago

The Warriors, Terminator 1-2, Alien and Aliens are all must watch but have already been mentioned. One that has not been mentioned and is a 10/10:

Mohicansposter (resized).jpgMohicansposter (resized).jpg
#77 2 years ago
Quoted from DDandB-KID:

Bad boys 1983 with Sean Penn

My father almost kicked me out of the house when I brought “Bad Boys” home. Funny thing is, I didn’t even get a chance to watch it. Did see it a few years later and thought it was good.

#78 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#79 2 years ago

RAD…My Science Project…Return of the Living Dead…Night of the Living Dead(1990).

#80 2 years ago

Phantasom! So bad its good.

#81 2 years ago

Remember filling Netflix queue with these best lists and waiting for the next dvd?

1E50651A-D4EB-49F7-B7A9-81BAA1E00D96 (resized).jpeg1E50651A-D4EB-49F7-B7A9-81BAA1E00D96 (resized).jpeg

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure

The Movie that got Tim Burtons career going.

#83 2 years ago

Many good recommendations so far, but didn't notice mention of Hellraiser (1987) and Hellraiser 2 (1988) if you like horror movies.

MV5BOGRlZTdhOGYtODc5NS00YmJkLTkzN2UtZDMyYmRhZWM1NTQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4Nzk4MDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpgMV5BOGRlZTdhOGYtODc5NS00YmJkLTkzN2UtZDMyYmRhZWM1NTQwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4Nzk4MDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_ (resized).jpg
#84 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

There are so many entertaining movies that came out in this timeframe that it is hard to generate a definitive list (which will vary anyways depending on your individual tastes) and even then some will be missed.
Eraser was good and how did I miss the classic Demolition Man and Blade?
Just watch DM a few months ago, still holds up pretty well and some wicked satire.
The only movie I'd be hesitant to recommend is The Shining. I have watched it 2 or 3 times and not as good as I remember the first viewing. The first viewing however was superbly creepy, I think the "not knowing what is coming next" was a big factor.

I agree, the first time you see The Shining is the best. Same goes for The Sting, but for a different reason.

#85 2 years ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#86 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks for all the recommendations! Based off of watching a few previews last night, I watched the first half of Amadeus last night with my wife. What a neat movie with a neat concept.. My wife likes historical dramas. We are both viewing the court composer the same way we view Delores Umbridge from Harry Potter. Will finish the other half tonight (it's a 3 hour movie!).
Thanks!
I've only seen a few of the others mentioned, but fact that The Great Escape, Monty Python, and Spinal tap all showed up on the same list steered me towards this recommendation.
I actually have The Great Escape on CED. I have no way to watch it, but the packaging is cool!

Just finished Amadeus with the wife. Great movie. 3 hours was a bit long though. Saleiri was a ... douche canoe.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just finished Amadeus with the wife. Great movie. 3 hours was a bit long though. Saleiri was a ... douche canoe.

Glad you liked it!
Saileri is a lot, but Mozart isn’t a breeze either. Stanzi deserved better.

I like to imagine that Laurel the maid’s great-great-great-great granddaughter is Miranda on Sex and the City.

#88 2 years ago

Deathrace 2000 is one of my all time favorites
Army of darkness another classic

#89 2 years ago

Re-Animator was the worst movie I’ve ever seen.

#90 2 years ago

David Lynch’s Dune
Blade Runner
Sling Blade
Exorcist
The Conversation
Chinatown (been mentioned many times for a reason)

#91 2 years ago

Glengary Glen Ross
Swimming with Sharks
The Deer Hunter
Scarface

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I am a western fan, mostly pre 1980's
Once upon a time in the West is very good, one of the best.
Although my favorite is My Name Is Nobody from 1973 one of, if not, the last great spaghetti western, both gritty and humorous with a haunting soundtrack. I think it was on Amazon or netflix recently.[quoted image]

My favorite remains the good the bad and the ugly. I picked up a lot of spaghetti westerns in the dvd boom.

Oddball favorite from lucio fulci, Italian gore master. Four of the apocalypse.

#93 2 years ago

1988 - Who Framed Roger Rabbit
1989 - Major League
1989 - Weekend at Bernie's
1990 - Problem Child
1993 - Dazed and Confused
1993 - Falling Down
1993 - The Sandlot
1994 - The Mask
1995 - Canadian Bacon
1995 - Rumble in The Bronx
1995 - Se7en

#94 2 years ago

I would like to second some of the ones on the lists above. There were some terrific movies back then which are overlooked because their special effects are dated or just because they are old.

Enter the Dragon (1973) - Bruce Lee in his absolute best movie. Infiltrating an island of saboteurs and murderers Bruce comes up against the man who killed his sister.

Westworld (1973) - the original with Yul Brenner is still incredible even now. back when the idea of a computer virus was far-out science fiction.

Commando (1985) - Arnold Schwarzenegger at his best. Exactly what you would expect, lots of fights, big muscles and one-liners.

Twins (1988) - Arnold and Danny Devito are twin brothers! a lot of heart in this comedy. Definitely worth watching

Vanishing Point (1971) - No plot, just one long car chase - grab a beer and have fun

Rollerball (1975) - a bit fragmented as a movie but the game itself is amazing and seems like a real possibility in todays world.

Flash Gordon (1980) - the absolute pinnacle of cheesy sci fi. Max Von Sydow steals the show as Emperor Ming.

Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - an absolute classic with lots of fun, car chases, bootlegging and a little romance.

Outland (1981) - I liked this one. Its a outer space version of High Noon with Sean Connery as the space policeman waiting for a hit squad to arrive and kill him.

Tron (1982) - the original is a amazing classic. The special effects are dated compared to the sequels but the creative ideas were incredible.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984) - definitely a must-see if you want something goofy, fast-paced and fun. Buckaroo, in between rock and roll gigs and consulting with the president, drives into the 8th dimension and brings something back.

The Running Man (1987) - Another Arnold classic, sort of a squid-games type hunt the hunted reality tv show of the future.

Every Which Way But Loose (1978) - fun easygoing story of Clint Eastwood as a amateur fighter with his his pet orangutan, Clyde

The Thing (1982) - one of the most gruesome horror movies ever and still holds up today.

Also, don't forget about Jackie Chan - a Bruce Lee style star that specialized in comedy-action. His big breakout was the 1978 "Drunken Master" where he played a kung fu expert who could only fight when drunk! Other great ones are Project-A, Armor of God (where he plays a Indiana Jones type character) and Operation Condor where he is on the search for Nazi gold.

#95 2 years ago

I’d watch seven again. It’s been mentioned quite a bit.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I would like to second some of the ones on the lists above. There were some terrific movies back then which are overlooked because their special effects are dated or just because they are old.
Enter the Dragon (1973) - Bruce Lee in his absolute best movie. Infiltrating an island of saboteurs and murderers Bruce comes up against the man who killed his sister.
Westworld (1973) - the original with Yul Brenner is still incredible even now. back when the idea of a computer virus was far-out science fiction.
Commando (1985) - Arnold Schwarzenegger at his best. Exactly what you would expect, lots of fights, big muscles and one-liners.
Twins (1988) - Arnold and Danny Devito are twin brothers! a lot of heart in this comedy. Definitely worth watching
Vanishing Point (1971) - No plot, just one long car chase - grab a beer and have fun
Rollerball (1975) - a bit fragmented as a movie but the game itself is amazing and seems like a real possibility in todays world.
Flash Gordon (1980) - the absolute pinnacle of cheesy sci fi. Max Von Sydow steals the show as Emperor Ming.
Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - an absolute classic with lots of fun, car chases, bootlegging and a little romance.
Outland (1981) - I liked this one. Its a outer space version of High Noon with Sean Connery as the space policeman waiting for a hit squad to arrive and kill him.
Tron (1982) - the original is a amazing classic. The special effects are dated compared to the sequels but the creative ideas were incredible.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984) - definitely a must-see if you want something goofy, fast-paced and fun. Buckaroo, in between rock and roll gigs and consulting with the president, drives into the 8th dimension and brings something back.
The Running Man (1987) - Another Arnold classic, sort of a squid-games type hunt the hunted reality tv show of the future.
Every Which Way But Loose (1978) - fun easygoing story of Clint Eastwood as a amateur fighter with his his pet orangutan, Clyde
The Thing (1982) - one of the most gruesome horror movies ever and still holds up today.
Also, don't forget about Jackie Chan - a Bruce Lee style star that specialized in comedy-action. His big breakout was the 1978 "Drunken Master" where he played a kung fu expert who could only fight when drunk! Other great ones are Project-A, Armor of God (where he plays a Indiana Jones type character) and Operation Condor where he is on the search for Nazi gold.

The Jackie Chan movies are great. And if you can find and watch the extras videos that go with them, they are just as entertaining, maybe even more so. Watch the movie, then watch the Making Of video. The stuff he did in those movies literally borders on the truly unbelievable and insane.

#97 2 years ago

Taxi Driver

#98 2 years ago

The Big Bus. Airplane-like humor, but still watchable.

#99 2 years ago

Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
The Omen (the original one)
Carrie
Superman I and II

Also consider going older….just about anything with James Cagney (especially Yankee Doodle Dandy and White Heat), and Jimmy Stewart. You also can’t go wrong with Hitchcock…..Psycho, The Birds, Strangers on a Train.

There are a lot of good movies from the ‘30s, ‘40s and ‘50s.

#100 2 years ago

Remo Williams
Bullitt

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-1975-1995-movies-do-you-recommend/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.