Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Elicash
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 185 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0038 (resized).JPG
IMG_0037 (resized).JPG
IMG_0034 (resized).JPG
IMG_0031 (resized).JPG
IMG_0026 (resized).JPG
IMG_0028 (resized).JPG
IMG_0027 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0019 (resized).JPG
IMG_0018 (resized).JPG
IMG_0017 (resized).JPG
IMG_0013 (resized).JPG
IMG_0012 (resized).JPG
IMG_0015 (resized).JPG
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG
IMG_0008 (resized).JPG

There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 3 years ago

I don't have a ton of before pics on some of these because I had stopped updating this thread. I will start doing before and afters going forward.

Speaker panel was sanded, back side sealed, black repainted, new dmd bear seal (color dmd pending), new plastic overlay, repainted red Williams logo and black speaker grills, flipper fidelity speakers installed. Looks like new. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#102 3 years ago

Starting reassemble the mechs. Brackets powder coated, coils cleaned and new wrappers installed. I'm waiting on a couple replacement coils and the mechs will be done and I can switch to the top side for a bit. image_(resized).jpeg

#103 3 years ago

Backbox done. The boards were serviced by Clive. My cpu was shot so I got a repaired one from Chris Hibler at expo. I just finally got around to swapping the cpu chip and roms. Light panel was painted high gloss on the front side and sealed on the backside. Ground plane panel was polished and metal brackets powder coated.

Before:
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

After:

And the moment of truth. After repairing the wiring in the service box and switching the components to the new cpu; it was time to test to see if it will boot.

Success.

#104 3 years ago

Sharp stuff! It's probably too soon to ask, but have you noticed a big sound improvement with the flipper fidelity speakers vs the old ones?

#105 3 years ago

Nice work. I really want to get setup to do blasting and powder coat.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Sharp stuff! It's probably too soon to ask, but have you noticed a big sound improvement with the flipper fidelity speakers vs the old ones?

Better yes, great no. Still limited to the sound quality the audio clips provide. Worth it for me at least.

Quoted from radium:

Nice work. I really want to get setup to do blasting and powder coat.

Thank you. It was worth it to me. I'm still trying to justify the cost of a large oven to do rails and such. On some of the games I have restored , the metal was so bad it was either replate or powder. Powder was cheaper and easier to keep track of parts since I'm doing it in house as I go.

#107 3 years ago

Another small update.

Trough switch assembly (bottom side only) powder coated.
image_(resized).jpeg

Also replaced the nasty diode insulating tubes
image_(resized).jpeg

I removed the opto board brackets and powder coated them too. image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

I also cleaned the light pcb's, reflowed the bulb carrier pads and header pins as well.

Overall shot as she stands now.
image_(resized).jpeg

#108 3 years ago

Most of the ball guides polished up and installed. Harnesses cleaned and drying. image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#109 3 years ago

WOW... very impressive ball guides. What are you polishing them with? They look amazing!

#110 3 years ago

Thank you. Mainly just a buffing wheel and green rouge. A couple of spots I had to use a dremel with a buffing wheel. In one instance the graining was so deep I had to sand them out first with 400 then 800 grit sandpaper followed by buffing.

1 week later
#111 3 years ago

All new micro switches and diodes. I've said it before, bending diodes sucks.

image_(resized).jpeg

Everything soldered in and switch harness in place.

image_(resized).jpeg

On to the light then coil harnesses.

#112 3 years ago

All the harnesses are installed. Still need to install the wire loom brackets so I can dress the harnesses. Right now they're still separated and not bundled together. image_(resized).jpeg

Started getting posts and rubbers together on the top side but I'm done for the night.

image_(resized).jpeg

**I have rotated the first pic a dozen times and it keeps switching to vertical. Sorry.

#113 3 years ago

Repairing the broken Bigfoot Boulder that goes over the launch wireform. The white is duct tape I used to hold it together while it setup. Once it's cured fully, I'll trim the stray fiberglass strands.
image_(resized).jpeg

**edit: sorry, pinside insist on attaching them out of order.

#114 3 years ago

Nice job on the boulder repair.

Suggestion; take a fine tip black sharpie and touch up the scratch in the "i" and (2) scratches above it.

#115 3 years ago

Thanks. It's actually old rubber cement from a failed repair attempt by the previous owner. Once it's cured I'll clean it off.

2 months later
#116 3 years ago

So summer took over and this got pushed to the back burner. Kids are back in school so I'm back at it. Big milestone. Everything is plugged back in. Everything works as it should. Obviously tweaks to switches and lamps, ect. Now that I know it's functioning as it's supposed to, I can continue putting it back together. image (resized).jpeg

#117 3 years ago

i'm flabbergasted you put this to the high level

#118 3 years ago

Very nice work.
Were did you get the backbox stencil for the warning text?

#119 3 years ago
Quoted from Fred70:

Very nice work.
Were did you get the backbox stencil for the warning text?

Thanks. I bought it from a pinsider that had them made. I can't remember who it was. Maybe someone here can remembers who it was.

#120 3 years ago

Quick update. I did a little topper test to see how everything works. Things are just temporarily tacked in place and I threw a towel over the light panel so it wouldn't washout the shot. I upgraded to the glm board so I could use led's instead of incandescents. The results were amazing. The video doesn't do it justice. The movement of the falls is fantastic. I have the glm board set on default with led's now. There is an enhanced setting I will try later. Now I'm off to painting the white of the falls bracket and then putting the dome on.

#121 3 years ago

Dressing up the topper. I repaired a crack at one of the mounting holes with fiberglass and resin. Scuffered it up and put a fresh coat of white on it. I wasn't super worried about the back but I did want to get rid of the yellowing and have a consistent white. Turned out acceptably. Wish my foil was better but at least it is origonal. I also installed the tc overlay. I was surprised how "off" the size was, not covering everything it should have. *edit* pinside reordered them from completed to start for some reason.
IMG_1431 (resized).JPGIMG_1432 (resized).JPGIMG_1430 (resized).JPGIMG_1428 (resized).JPGIMG_1429 (resized).JPGIMG_1427 (resized).JPG

#122 3 years ago

And back in place. IMG_1433 (resized).JPGIMG_1434 (resized).JPG

#123 3 years ago

You even have the exercise equipment set up like Chris Hutchins. Nice one!

#124 3 years ago

LOL. Actually, what you are seeing is the forklift portion of my escelara. I have the plate attachment and I use it as an adjustable work bench; raising or lowering the cab as needed.

Side note, all parts to big to powdercoat myself are off to the coater and I got the remaining parts in the mail yesterday. Hopefully I'll be wrapped up in the next two weeks.

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

LOL. Actually, what you are seeing is the forklift portion of my escelara. I have the plate attachment and I use it as an adjustable work bench; raising or lowering the cab as needed.
Side note, all parts to big to powdercoat myself are off to the coater and I got the remaining parts in the mail yesterday. Hopefully I'll be wrapped up in the next two weeks.

That's really funny. My bad. Take this as a compliment!!!

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

That's really funny. My bad. Take this as a compliment!!!

Thank you.

Got the new switches installed and the ramps that have to go in before the mini. The pace will start picking up from here on out as everything starts falling into place. IMG_1443 (resized).JPGIMG_1444 (resized).JPG

#127 3 years ago

Steadily moving along.

Inlane ball guide before:
IMG_1466 (resized).JPG
IMG_1466 (resized).JPG

...after:

IMG_1463 (resized).JPG
IMG_1465 (resized).JPG

...and installed:

IMG_1469 (resized).JPG

I also noticed that one of the service buttons on the coin door was working intermittently so I swapped in a new one.

IMG_1470 (resized).JPG

IMG_1468 (resized).JPG
IMG_1464 (resized).JPG

***I'm not sure why it keeps attaching the last two and duplicating the first one. I have edited it twice. Oh well, you get the idea.***

#128 3 years ago

Getting closer. Everything back together. Still need to tweak the switches. IMG_0033 (resized).JPG

Polished up the service rails while I was at it.

IMG_0032 (resized).JPG

#129 3 years ago

Powder coat parts are back. Everything is just setting in place to get a feel for how it's going to look. IMG_0036 (resized).JPG

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Powder coat parts are back. Everything is just setting in place to get a feel for how it's going to look.

Holly Molly!!! This looks great.

#131 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Powder coat parts are back. Everything is just setting in place to get a feel for how it's going to look.

Awesome!!! I was thinking of coating mine yellow, now I've got confirmation that it would look as awesome as I imagined!
Your machine is looking great!

#132 3 years ago

Can anyone help me out on connectors. I connector @ j134 broke off (one wire in an 8 pin connector) and I have never ordered connectors before. Is this what I need? I think the wire is 24guage, not 22 like the bulk of the backbox. Part number:571-3-640441-8
IMG_0004 (resized).PNG

Location on the board: (that's a before picture btw )
IMG_0134 (resized).JPG

#133 3 years ago

Finally got the playfield back in the cab. Got some tweaks to do and put the legs on and then she'll be done.
IMG_0005 (resized).JPGIMG_0006 (resized).JPGIMG_0007 (resized).JPG

#134 3 years ago

Stern leg protector time.

First I put them on and put the leg bolts in to align the stern protector over the leg holes in the cabinet.

IMG_0008 (resized).JPG

Then I drill a small pilot hole for the set screw and other install the screw. That give me the final position of the second set screw hole. I drill that and install the last screw.
IMG_0011 (resized).JPG

Now that I have the protector in its final installed location I cut the decal along the perimeter roughly 1/16" away from the metal. Holding the blade at a 45 degree angle gets a consistent cut. Be careful though. The metal has burrs that will cause the blade to skip if not careful. IMG_0012 (resized).JPG
IMG_0013 (resized).JPG

Remove the protector and then remove the cut decal. Be careful when peeling. The decal tear easily and if you don't have your cuts scored through the decal, it will tear on you.
IMG_0015 (resized).JPG

Reinstall the protectors
IMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPG

Put the legs on and you're done. No more wrinkles.
IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0019 (resized).JPG

#135 3 years ago

Everything back together. Still have a few switches to adjust but she's 95% done. IMG_0031 (resized).JPGIMG_0026 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0028 (resized).JPG

#136 3 years ago

Great work! I'd love to own one that looks like this. Love the Seeburg too.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from ecmurrayf1:

Great work! I'd love to own one that looks like this. Love the Seeburg too.

Thank you.

A couple under the hood.

IMG_0034 (resized).JPGIMG_0038 (resized).JPGIMG_0037 (resized).JPG

#138 3 years ago

Wow super nice job!

#139 3 years ago

Skins,

Something you can do to prevent the two star posts from damaging the backbox when the playfield is upright is to get a couple extra white shooter rod tips and put them onto the star posts. They fit great and prevent damage in the future. They don't look bad either.

#140 3 years ago

Looks great. Nice to see white GI in a restore. I dislike blue LEDs on this game. You went with two 11629 coils for the flippers?

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Looks great. Nice to see white GI in a restore. I dislike blue LEDs on this game. You went with two 11629 coils for the flippers?

Good catch. The left one should be orange!

#142 3 years ago

I have a wrapper coming. That was how pps sent out the wrapper kit, 3 blue 1130 wrappers. I didn't want to leave the coil unwrapped until I got the correct one. Thanks for looking out though.

3 weeks later
#143 3 years ago

just fantastic love the yellow scrap metal

#144 3 years ago

Thanks. The pinsider it went to loved it.

#145 3 years ago

Where do you get individual coil wrappers? I'm about to do my FH and ordered a set. Can't believe how pricey a set is!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
There are 145 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside