View topic image gallery

IMG_4949.JPG
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4935.JPG
IMG_4940.JPG
IMG_4930.JPG
#1 13 years ago

After soldering on my first diode to replace the one that broke off, I now have lost general illumination in the back half of my playfield. The top glass works as well as the coin door, but not the back half of the playfield. I also was messing around with two of the red targets and one of the white ones, but all wires seem intact. Please help!

I've included 4 photos:

1. With the GI fully working(taken before today).
2. GI partially off.
3. Table with flash so you can see what it looks like.
4. Close up of the back half of the playfield, no GI.

IMG_4930.JPGIMG_4930.JPG IMG_4940.JPGIMG_4940.JPG IMG_4935.JPGIMG_4935.JPG IMG_4937.JPGIMG_4937.JPG

#2 13 years ago

HAH, what a coincidence. I'm dealing with a short in the same exact GI string. Check the fuse at F-110. Should be a 5 amp slow blow. On mine, I've isolated the short to pin 7 on connector J-121. Just been putting off opening up the playfield and diving in with a multimeter.

#3 13 years ago

But why would this have started all of a sudden? I installed a N4004 diode because the old one had broken off at the diode.

Also, as I have no fuses, which ones do I need for this machine so I can buy some online?

#4 13 years ago

If you need a fuse in a pinch, radio shack sells them. As for the fuse list, there should be a slip of paper posted inside your backbox above the driver board.

#5 13 years ago

Was the diode installed with the band the right direction? When you turned the power on and there was something possibly shorted to something while you were moving wires under the playfield? check all the bulbs/targets wires under the playfield just incase something is just barely touching. If it did blow a fuse this is probably the case.

The fuses you can probably get fom the source/Radio shack. Hope thats all it is and you don't have to trace for broken wires.

#6 13 years ago

How can I tell if a fuse is blown?

Also, how can I trace for a broken wire if that is what I need to do?

#7 13 years ago

I don't think the diode is the issue. I'm gonna assume it was for a controlled lamp in the lamp matrix. GI doesn't have a need for diodes, a string is a simple circuit wired in parallel.

Did you play around underneath with the power on? Something probably broke loose and shorted out your fuse. You may be lucky and the issue resolved with the playfield moved back. Try popping in a new fuse first.

To check a fuse, sometimes you can tell if the filament is toast visually. But sometimes that is hard on the slow blow fuses. You need a multimeter and run a continuity check accross the fuse.

I check for GI shorts by first finding the connectors associated with the blown fuse. I then pull the connectors and check ohms to ground by leaving one lead on a good ground point in the cab, and touching the pins on the connectors with the other lead. Meter should stay infinite ohms or OL, if you get a reading, there's a short on that string.

#8 13 years ago

Well the fuse is blown. Will go buy some more tomorrow and try to see if it blows again. If it does I guess I have to look at anything that may be touching.

#9 13 years ago

If that doesn't fix your issue, go ahead and read this section on GI troubleshooting for williams WPC games.

http://www.pinrepair.com/wpc/index3.htm#gi

#10 13 years ago

Thanks for the link. I hope I don't need it and I just bent two things together when I was messing around.

#11 13 years ago

Good news! My father came over to help me out and we found that some of the GI grounds were making contact with the hots on some of the bulbs (probably a basic thing, but I didn't know about it). Here are some new pics with all the lighting working:

IMG_4947.JPGIMG_4947.JPG IMG_4949.JPGIMG_4949.JPG

#12 13 years ago

Looks great, glad you found it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

17,250 (OBO)
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh2o-partial-general-illumination-lost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.