Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by judremy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all! Long time reader, first time poster I just recently acquired my first pin, a WH2O which I've been after since it somehow swallowed all of my laundry money in college some 17 years ago, haha. I have completely shopped it out, looks and plays amazing except for one annoying issue. The lockup popper is very intermittent meaning sometimes the ball either gets stuck or doesn't shoot hard enough to make it out of the wire guides. I have replaced the coil with a new one. What is odd is when it does work, it works very well and shoots the ball very hard, no issues. But if it doesn't make it, it gets stuck on top of another ball that may be locked and thus complicates the issue.

Anyone have suggestions on what could be going on here? Thank you!

#2 10 years ago

check the plastic cup in there to be sure it is in good shape and try adjusting the placement of the wire habitrail. There is some play if you loosen the two screws.....look from directly above the kickout hole and center the opening of the wireform with it. Good luck and let us know what works

#3 10 years ago

Also check to make sure that the ball lock/VUK mechanism is firmly attached to the underside of the playfield. If that mechanism is loose, then it will absorb all of the energy used to kick the ball up instead of directing upward to get the ball up. If the screwholes are stripped then use toothpicks (or bamboo skewers) and woodglue to repair the screwhole. Drill a new pilot hole, then reattach.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

There is some play if you loosen the two screws.

Another check, there should be "2" screws holding the wireform, not 1. They tend to break at the welds.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Another check, there should be "2" screws holding the wireform, not 1. They tend to break at the welds.

Also make sure these holes have not become stripped out. I had a similar issue, where the wireform would get loose every few months from the ball hitting it. Screw holes were getting stripped, so some toothpicks and wood glue fixed the issue!

1 week later
#6 10 years ago

Thanks everyone. From inspection, the plastic cup is a little worn which I can see how the ball may not center properly on the upkick. I'm going to replace that first and then play with the placement of the other items. Everything is nice and tight and there is NO play anywhere as I just got finished rebuilding the machine from a total teardown. I'll keep you updated! Thanks!

#7 10 years ago

I had to replace the cup in the VUK. Mine only had one of the 4 prongs sticking up to keep it centered. It was a wonder I never had any problems.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I had to replace the cup in the VUK. Mine only had one of the 4 prongs sticking up to keep it centered. It was a wonder I never had any problems.

Mine has the same thing (only 1 of 4 prongs) and I wonder whether it's this way on purpose? Very low plays on mine and I don't see how this would have been broken.

3 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

After finally getting a chance to mess with mine I discovered two issues... the cup was horribly worn down (as compared to the lost mine cup) and the alignment of the rail needed a little adjustment. Now, it works perfectly EXCEPT the ball shoots so hard, I'm actually getting backspin on it occasionally and it rolls back up the ramp before it comes back down into play. What's happening during multiball is the second ball sometimes shoots up before the first one has come back into play and they interfere with one another. Any suggestions on that one?? Thanks everyone.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from ndustri:

After finally getting a chance to mess with mine I discovered two issues... the cup was horribly worn down (as compared to the lost mine cup) and the alignment of the rail needed a little adjustment. Now, it works perfectly EXCEPT the ball shoots so hard, I'm actually getting backspin on it occasionally and it rolls back up the ramp before it comes back down into play. What's happening during multiball is the second ball sometimes shoots up before the first one has come back into play and they interfere with one another. Any suggestions on that one?? Thanks everyone.

Take a small rubber ring, make a small cut, place on the rail on the VUK.

Just like this:

http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/Images/WH2OBackSpinFix.jpg

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Take a small rubber ring, make a small cut, place on the rail on the VUK.
Just like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/Images/WH2OBackSpinFix.jpg

Wow. Haven't seen that pic in a while. I was the one who did that a while back and posted it up for everyone. There are a few threads I have put up for things you should do to prevent damage to your WH2O including the one above. Another involves adjusting the ball guides on the ramps to have the last one come down more. Do a search and you should be able to find them.

#12 10 years ago

Excellent, this works perfectly. Thank you!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from ndustri:

Excellent, this works perfectly. Thank you!

If you put more than one, it works even better. I have two each on two of the sides opposite each other. It removes all backspin out of the ball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 40.00
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh2o-lockup-popper-getting-stuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.