Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrWizzo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My WH2O upper playfield G I has been out for a while. Constantly blowing F10 . So i did a search and found someone who was having similar problems, gi in general... They pulled the board and checked the traces on the board itself for continuity. I had checked wire continuity before but never thought to check the traces.
I spent the next 15 min labeling and taking pictures, and pulled the board. All traces checked out. However, whoever put this board in originally did a poor job. The fourth pin from the right on J120 was bent down. I panicked thinking i had caused this during removal. It turns out that pin is not used. And the connector is plugged in that location. More on this later. I checked all traces associated to GI and it had good continuity.
I plugged everything back in anticipating a long day of broken wire hunting . Plugged in a new fuse, turned it on to watch the fuse turn bright outrage and finally give out, and it didn't blow.. Woohoo. GI was on .
Now am exited and start playing, haven't had upper gi like ... ever!
Last night F10 starts blowing on a regular basis. new fuse, power on, pop.
Is it the bent J120 pin .. Maybe causing a loose our not so great connection that it is shorting? How can i remove that pin? Can I just snip it with some small dykes? If that doors not solve it what's the next plan of attack i should take?
Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

Are you sure nothing is shorting under the playfield?

#3 11 years ago

There is one GI light socket that has a habit of shorting out. Its near the top of the left playfield support. From vibration the lamp socket will touch that support causing a ground short.

#4 11 years ago

J120 and j121 are the same connectors. Pull them both and verify you fuses stop blowing. If they blow, issue is in the board. If they don't blow, issue is probably in the wiring. If you're worried about the bent pin, you can uh the j120 connector into j121 and leave the back box lighting off. Does it blow a fuse? If so, issue is in the wiring or sockets. Exflexer probably is in the right track here.

#5 11 years ago

Pin 4 is the keying pin. It should be cut out.

Definitely check the GI socket near the playfield slide. That has caused problems on many machines.

#6 11 years ago

Found the GI socket - kudos for that little nugget. Insulated it against shorting on the rail. Cut the pin out and checked continuity back to the playfield from 120 and 121. Plugged in a fuse turned on the machine and I have an upper playfield!!

I will keep an eye on it, but it feels right.

Thanks all

#7 11 years ago

I had a similar problem with the upper GI on my whitewater also.

One thing you can do in the future is unscrew all the sockets on the GI string in question.

Lets assume at this point there is no problem on any board.

Put in a fuse, and if it blows, it could be one of the sockets shorting, but this is a good indication that the short doesn't involve something contacting the sockets on or below the playfield. If it doesn't blow, it is a good indication that the short is caused by contact with some palyfield structure.

Next: if it blew, remove all bulbs, replace the fuse and one by one replace the bulbs. if it blows again you have identified the problematic socket. If it doesn't blow after the last bulb is replaced, then begin to replace the sockets in the playfield one by one until the fuse blows. If it doesn't after all this, jiggle gently or tap gently on each socket in place and see if you can cause the fuse to blow.

If this process has not found the problem, then it probably is not in the string I would think. Take a break, get a beer before you yank the GI out of the game.

Glad you got it working. I remember that had me scratching my head for a while.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Boards
Slap Save Creations

17,250 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh2o-g-i-woes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.