Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00044.JPG
IMG_5573.JPG
IMG_5572.JPG
IMG_5570.JPG
IMG_5568.JPG
#1 12 years ago

I installed a Cliffy VUK protector at the top of my whitewater where the VUK kicks the ball up to the upper playfield. I did this a few months ago and the problem is that when the ball pops up to that level, it rolls back a bit before coming forward on the table. Sometimes it gets stuck in between the Spine Chiller Ramp and the metal protector.

Anyone have any ideas how to address this? I did add two washers under the Spine Chiller ramp as lifting this just slightly prevents it 99% of the time from getting stuck in the tiny gap.

Would mylar help? Waxing the metal?

IMG_5568.JPGIMG_5568.JPG IMG_5570.JPGIMG_5570.JPG IMG_5572.JPGIMG_5572.JPG

#2 12 years ago

Do you mean it doesn't clear the ramps sometimes?

#3 12 years ago

To stop the ball from rolling back, make a cut in a small rubber ring and place it on the circular ring right at the end of the wireform. The ball coming over the VUK will loose it's spin when it hits the small rubber and it won't roll back.

#4 12 years ago

dirtrider: No, it's when it comes up thru the VUK, it tends to roll uphill towards the ramp instead of rolling downhill towards the flipper in the upper-playfield.

Jalpert: I'll give that a try and see what it does. Thanks for the tip!

#5 12 years ago

blockquote cite="#32638">To stop the ball from rolling back, make a cut in a small rubber ring and place it on the circular ring right at the end of the wireform. The ball coming over the VUK will loose it's spin when it hits the small rubber and it won't roll back.

That's not the fix for this.
This is.

Here is the problem.

The problem is the ramp is now too low because we added the cliffy. The ball catches on the cliffy. I had this same issue.

The fix.

Remove the screws to the ramp and Add washers under the ramp to make it flush with the cliffy. Now the ball will roll freely no matter how it comes to roll there.

#6 12 years ago

If the ramp is slightly HIGHER than the cliffy thats OK it will just roll off the edge but if the ramp is LOWER the ball will come to rest against the cliffy.

#7 12 years ago

wesperron: I have done the washer trick as well. The issue isn't that it gets stuck in between the cliffy protector & the ramp, rather that I don't want it to roll up like it is. It should only roll towards the flipper as it does on machines without the VUK protector. I almost think I need to pitch the upper playfield slightly...

So I shouldn't try the rubber thing?

#8 12 years ago

While I was adding some pinbits plastic protectors, I also added the white rubber ring and it definitely stopped the ball from going up before coming forward. Check out the image below to see where I put it.

IMG_5573.JPGIMG_5573.JPG

#9 12 years ago

Cool fix Judremy. I cut a black post sleeve and put it on mine about a year ago. A grippy rubber ring or sleeve at that location seems to reverse the back spin the ball picks up from the wireform, and puts a nice forward spin on the ball helping it go quickly right to the upper flipper.

Until I did this, the balls used to spin backwards out of my wireform real bad making multiball not so much fun.

#10 12 years ago

Yup. During multiball, sometimes the balls would pile up and a ball would be pushed down the SPine Chiller ramp.

#11 12 years ago

I see said the blind man.
I don't have that problem...I misunderstood the issue.
But if I ever do....that looks like a great fix.
Very good.
I thought I would try to help you but you ended up helping me.

#12 12 years ago

wesperron: Anytime! Us WH2O owners need to stick together. It's a great machine, but it has some "secrets" that if you don't address them become problems.

#13 12 years ago

I just went to try mine....It does spin backward. but it really only moves about 1/2" to the left. But as the cliffy gets worn maybe it will roll even further. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

#14 12 years ago

Awesome tip,I will be putting that rubber on my WhiteWater,I did not know why sometimes that during multiball?and other times,a mystery ball would roll down the Spine chiller ramp,Definitely a machine that you have to keep up on the finer tweeks.

#15 12 years ago

v8torino: Make sure you also do the change listed at: http://lostinthezone.netfirms.com/ under the section "Whiteater Bigfoot Bluff Ramp Problems" (typo is there).

This will save you about $200 on a ramp that will otherwise get broken at the switch mount. I included the image that shows how you should have that ball guide instead of how it is by default.

DSC00044.JPGDSC00044.JPG

#16 12 years ago

The little rubber ring is my favorite WH20 fix. One of the most exciting things in pinball is stacking that 5X playfield with the 3X multiball jackpot, hitting that insanity falls ramp and hearing the game scream! If the VUK part of the game isn't working correctly it's nearly impossible. Your placement of the rubber ring is perfect.

#17 12 years ago

Hey,Thanks for these tips,I will be doing these soon/tomorrow + next day and doing LED installs.
jalpert.I will look at that switch/ramp repair you reference.I have never gotten to or seen the mode you mention with my machine,What scream do you mean,obviously a sound but does Sasquatch scream or what?It's OK you can tell me.

#18 12 years ago

When you have 5x playfield going, and you get 3x multiball jackpots, the announcer screams.

#19 12 years ago

With the way the ball rolls there's no stopping the 'english' or 'spin' that the ball has. It's the english that causes the ball to roll up rather then dropping onto the ramp, then down it.

Captain obvious strikes again!

2 weeks later
#20 12 years ago

I added a few more rubbers to the VUK. One on each side of where it comes out and a second one on the side I already had one. The ball rolls immediately forward now after it pops to the upper playfield. It is exactly how it was the day it was made. This allows me to hit the triple jackpot since the timing doesn't get messed up. Try it out!

#21 12 years ago

judremy,I will have to add a couple more (rubbers) as well on my VUK,the ball on mine still kinda goes backwards,from the back spin.
The ramp fix helped tremendously,by angling it down the shot is almost a can't miss now.

#22 12 years ago

v8torino: How did you angle the ramp? I did put some washers under where the clear ramp meets the metal ramp to take care of the difference in height. Is this what you are talking about?

2 weeks later
#23 12 years ago

I just installed the Cliffy VUK protector and ran into the spin issue listed here. A quick search on google brought me here and the little rubber on the wireform trick fixed my issue. Thanks!

#24 12 years ago

You're welcome, Owl. In fact, if you put two on the inside part of the wireform and one around each of the other sides, it removes it completely and the ball comes quickly to the upper flipper. I'll try to post a pic later.

#25 12 years ago

I was wondering if I might ask two WH2O questions, yet please forgive me for hijacking a thread....

1). In a WH2O I know of there is a small gap between the the ramp right behind Bigfoot and the Spine Chiller ramp. Regretfully, sometimes the ball gets stuck in that gap, thus is there any way to close that gap?

2). The fur on Bigfoot's left arm does not attach to his hand. As such, when he pushes out the diverter it looks like his hand comes off and is stuck to the log (really creepy looking). I have tried many substances, like glue, etc., to fix this with no luck. Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks all!

#26 12 years ago

I would try using a glue gun on bigfoot's arm, not ordinary glue. Also, add washers under the spine chiller ramp and it will raise it up slightly so the ball won't get stuck there. Let me know if you need more help/details.

#27 12 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate it!

I tried hot glue once before and it just made a mess... However, I do appreciate the suggestion!

As for the spine chiller, thanks! If anything, that will make the skill shot easier!

Sam

#28 12 years ago

It doesn't lift it that much, but it should stop the ball from getting stuck.

#29 12 years ago

Quoted from wesperron:I just went to try mine....It does spin backward. but it really only moves about 1/2" to the left. But as the cliffy gets worn maybe it will roll even further. I'll have to keep an eye on that.

Trust me, that full hard stainless VUK plate will never wear
It is .041" thick so in most cases you will need to shim up the end of the plastic ramp to match height. The mounting holes in the plate are slotted to allow you to slide it right up against your plastic ramp and eliminate any gap.

#30 12 years ago

Thanks Cliffy!All your products kick As-,at least the full set on my WhiteWater and the one on my HSII.

#31 12 years ago

I think the backspin issue was always there, but the metal just made it more noticeable.

2 years later
#32 10 years ago

I came up with the rubber ring fix for the backspin problem a few years ago and posted it on RGP.

You can adjust the side to side level a little lower on the right in the rear, a better fix is washers on the two left posts under the MPF.
The Cliffy also works great, fill the divot with JB Weld before installing and make sure to push it all the way back to the ramp so there is no gap and make sure the ramp is a hair higher than the plate.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Trust me, that full hard stainless VUK plate will never wear
It is .041" thick so in most cases you will need to shim up the end of the plastic ramp to match height. The mounting holes in the plate are slotted to allow you to slide it right up against your plastic ramp and eliminate any gap.

True dat, I reused it when I did my PF swap and all I had to do was regrain it.
There was no divot in it after hundreds of plays.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh2o-cliffy-vuk-protector-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.