Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Blackbeard
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20150421_203548.jpg
IMAG1413.jpg
IMAG1416.jpg

#1 4 years ago

The upper flipper on my WH20 does not quite seem to make the upper ramp around to the Whirlpool (it goes to Insanity Falls just fine). It will go about 1 in every 6-7 attempts, which to me seems a bit off. Any advice? I'm wondering if the EOS switch needs to be adjusted. The flipper, rubber, solenoid, spring, sleeve, EOS switch, and plunger are all new. I didn't try it before this was all replaced FYI.

Other than this, the game plays great.

#2 4 years ago

If it can shoot insanity falls, the whirlpool should be easy, so that would rule out a flipper problem. Instead, look at the ramp. I'd suggest taking off the rear boulders (two screws) and make the shot and watch the ball. There is a pair of wires that run over the entrance flap; they may be low and slowing the ball. If the ball goes in hard and comes back, see if it is going airborne and hitting the bracket for the switch. If so, loosen the ramp flap screws. Is the clear plastic in place over the ramp (with three screws)? Are the spacers there and correct size?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

If it can shoot insanity falls, the whirlpool should be easy, so that would rule out a flipper problem. Instead, look at the ramp. I'd suggest taking off the rear boulders (two screws) and make the shot and watch the ball. There is a pair of wires that run over the entrance flap; they may be low and slowing the ball. If the ball goes in hard and comes back, see if it is going airborne and hitting the bracket for the switch. If so, loosen the ramp flap screws. Is the clear plastic in place over the ramp (with three screws)? Are the spacers there and correct size?

Yes. Also check & see if the flipper needs to be adjusted slightly forward.

#4 4 years ago

Okay well taking the Boulders off was smart. It's hitting the switch back there and ricocheting right back down. The ramp sends the ball right at that switch. Any ideas? Loosen screws to switch?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

Okay well taking the Boulders off was smart. It's hitting the switch back there and ricocheting right back down. The ramp sends the ball right at that switch. Any ideas? Loosen screws to switch?

Mine did the same thing. The plastic tab the switch rests on was broken off. Forget how I reattached it, but if that is your problem, let me know and I will try to send you a pic.

Also, try placing something over the back part of the curve to see if keeping the ball down solves the problem. Tape some cardboard across there as a temporary test.

Dan

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Mine did the same thing. The plastic tab the switch rests on was broken off.

Mine also,I used JB weld on mine and that took care of it.

#8 4 years ago

I've got your answer.

The stock game includes a clear plastic that functions as a ceiling for the curve in the whirlpool ramp. It probably helps, but the game can still hit the switch and ricochet back out. Mine had this problem, too.

The solution: Pinbits makes an extended version of this plastic that extends all the way from the curve of the ramp to the switch. A groove is cut in the plastic for the actuator arm, but the far end of the plastic actually attaches underneath the switch. This plastic was designed to fix the exact problem you described.y

I actually ordered the Pinbits clear plastic set just for the protectors, and in fact I couldn't figure out what this "extra plastic" was for until I discovered this problem on mine and started trying to imagine potential solutions. Lo and behold, the solution was right in front of me.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_72&products_id=435

#9 4 years ago

Pictures help, of course, but I only have half of what I hoped I did.

Here's the stock plastic that guides the ball around the curve. Mine still had problems hitting the switch with the plastic pictured. The Pinbits plastic replaces this one, and extends all the way to the switch.

IMAG1416.jpg

#10 4 years ago

Eh, one more. The new plastic attaches with the same three screws as the one picutred PLUS two additional screws under this switch. Totally prevents the problem you describe.

IMAG1413.jpg

#11 4 years ago

you can attempt to push the "roof" down my taking out the last spacer but that can drive the balls into the ramp which might still give rejections. Or you can just add 2 washers between the ramp and the switch bracket. This will raise the switch getting it out of the way of fast clean shots up the whirlpool ramp. You might need to adjust the switch blade down after doing this to make sure that it closes when a ball goes under slowly on the bottom of the ramp as opposed to a fast shot that is riding up the outside wall.
EPthegeek can attest to the washers I just helped him with this a few months ago.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

you can attempt to push the "roof" down my taking out the last spacer

IIRC this is what I did months ago and it totally solved the problem for me.

snaroff

#13 4 years ago

This is super helpful! Thank you kindly friends.

#14 4 years ago

Here's a photo of the Pinbits plastic. It's everything you could hope for and more!

IMG_20150421_203548.jpg

#15 4 years ago

here is a video where I show that I replaced the third post in the deflector with a rubber ring. You don't really need anything there as the post is just so you don't lower it too much. I did this years ago and any shot makes it. This is a design flaw in the original machine:

The video is a couple years old when I was still finishing my basement.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

here is a video where I show that I replaced the third post in the deflector with a rubber ring. You don't really need anything there as the post is just so you don't lower it too much. I did this years ago and any shot makes it. This is a design flaw in the original machine:
» YouTube video

Mine had the same issue until I did Judremy's update/mod. Worked perfectly ever since.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

» YouTube video

So basically the ball flies around lower on the ramp instead of higher up (which would cause the switch to get rocked)?

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

So basically the ball flies around lower on the ramp instead of higher up (which would cause the switch to get rocked)?

Correct. The guide originally aims the ball towards the top of the switch (I don't think this was on purpose). So while a slower shot will make it past, a fast shot will hit, crack your ramp, and either fall towards the whirlpool or come back at you.

#19 4 years ago

Great thanks for clarification.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

Mine had the same issue until I did Judremy's update/mod. Worked perfectly ever since.

Me too. It's the cheapest solution by far and works. I always though the Pinbits/Pinball Decals plastic pieces were cool too though.

#21 4 years ago

So I am confused. Does the pin bits plastic solve the same adjustment issue as Judremy's recommendation? What rubber did you use as a replacement- just a rubber post cut in half?

I received the pinbits plastic free when I bought their boulder protector set. But I never installed it because I didn't know what it was!

#22 4 years ago

Yeah I'd install the pinbits since you have it. See if your switch is good to go.

If not, just remove that post on the stock piece and replace with a small circular rubber. Like a star post rubber. It lowers that plastic piece so that the ball stays under control.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Nanuet, NY
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Whitewater pinball mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 28.00
$ 47.00
$ 109.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Branson, MO
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
120 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
La, CA
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 12.95
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside