Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bean.gif
IMG_1563.jpg
WH20Lamps.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Someone selling a White Water offered the following description:

"The topper lights need to be changed with the proper bulbs. They are the same base as a 555 but probably are designed for flashing since the ones in the topper blink to make the waterfall look like it is moving. Should be available at Marco's."

Not having a WH20, I cannot evaluate this statement. Are these standard bulbs and, if so, which ones?

Thanks in advance.

#2 11 years ago

Standard #555

I have put blue & white LED's in a WW topper in the past.

Looks great in attract mode.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks.

#4 11 years ago

They are absolutely not standard 555 they are 161 12v bulbs where 555's are 5v. Put 555's in and you're going to see them exploding.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

They are absolutely not standard 555 they are 161 12v bulbs where 555's are 5v. Put 555's in and you're going to see them exploding.

At least 7 months has passed & my WW is fine.

#6 11 years ago

You're supposed to put #194 bulbs in the topper (says the manual).

#7 11 years ago

The topper lamps are 194's and are controlled by a special light chaser board ONLY used in this machine. This board has a very common failure point being the bridge rectifiers on the board and this is very likely the point that the seller of the machine is well aware of but hiding.

STNNG - I would change them if I were you or driver board damage is very possible.....

I know all of this because I am currently re-making this board and have spent a year researching it (on and off - not full time - hahaha).

WH20Lamps.jpgWH20Lamps.jpg IMG_1563.jpgIMG_1563.jpg

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

The topper lamps are 194's and are controlled by a special light chaser board ONLY used in this machine. This board has a very common failure point being the bridge rectifiers on the board and this is very likely the point that the seller of the machine is well aware of but hiding.
STNNG - I would change them if I were you or driver board damage is very possible.....
I know all of this because I am currently re-making this board and have spent a year researching it (on and off - not full time - hahaha).

Thanks.

As & when an issues arises you guys will be the 1st to know.

Board is looking fine.

#9 11 years ago

Wouldn't it make sense to change the lamps to the correct ones NOW to avoid causing damage?? Oh well, your machine......

I can tell you that the darlington driver transistors are VERY hard to find - it took me a very long time to track them down - up to you...

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

Wouldn't it make sense to change the lamps to the correct ones NOW to avoid causing damage?? Oh well, your machine......
I can tell you that the darlington driver transistors are VERY hard to find - it took me a very long time to track them down - up to you...

Not broken, don't fix it.

#11 11 years ago

Like I said - up to you

#12 11 years ago

I don't need telling once, twice... four times.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#14 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

apparently since you're an idiot you do need to be told multiple times.

I don't do name calling, but admin have been told.

Have a nice day now.

#15 11 years ago

For for a pack of 10 bulbs at $3.50 I'd rather replace them than stressing the board electronically and fry it.

New $70 chaser board (when in stock) vs $3.50...

Here are the Bulb ratings
555 6.3volts, 25amps
194 14.0volts, .27amp

Mike

Bean.gifBean.gif

#16 11 years ago

Don't mess with another man's bulbs,,,apparently.

#18 11 years ago

555 will burn very bright and burn out .. 555 are wrong, dead wrong !

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

555 will burn very bright and burn out .. 555 are wrong, dead wrong !

Not in my case..

I've only just turned the table off after a good 45 mins of playing.

999 (911) haven't been called.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

I don't do name calling, but admin have been told.
Have a nice day now.

Oh NO, not that!

#21 11 years ago

..I also gave the same treatment to another WW, this was put on a site & has had no issues for.

Wait for it... 4 years.

Brit thing?

#22 11 years ago

I still wouldn't be recommending it to others when there HAVE been issues noted (like in the thread I linked), and the manual states to replace with 194s. You can be stubborn with your own machines, but why try to convince others to do something that would potentially cause their machine harm? I don't understand the goal.

#23 11 years ago

Based on my experience, the bulbs (555's) wont last an hour.....194's are a mandate and not an option.

Bill

#24 11 years ago

I really don't care what people do with their own machines but it's bad form to recommend this type of thing to others. It's like saying "I've been having unprotected sex for years and never got AIDs so go for it!"

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

..I also gave the same treatment to another WW, this was put on a site & has had no issues for.
Wait for it... 4 years.
Brit thing?

Maybe it is a Brit thing (the 555's lasting so long that is) becuase the 555's that have been on any WW topper here in the US that I have ever seen WILL burn out. No option of keeping them in there at all because they won't last long without burning out into a nice silvery black bulb in less than an hour or so. Even led's will melt.

The very fact that STTNG's 555 bulbs have lasted more than an hour means something is different with his or other UK machines? Either the 555 bulbs are not the same as the ones out here or the volatage going to the lamp board is different.

Normally 555's aren't even an option, they should just not be compatible.
Interesting if there are differences in his or other UK machines which allow 555's to surivive in that lamp board.

#26 11 years ago

No idea regarding that side, sorry.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from STTNG:

Not in my case..

I've only just turned the table off after a good 45 mins of playing.

He's got a magical White Water.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh20-topper-light-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.