Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just installed a brand new Topper Light Board - the previous one was broken. The problem is, at least half the sockets aren't working (I tried multiple bulbs and harnesses appear connected properly).

Although I know it's possible the boards I got are faulty, I'm wondering about other possible causes... Specifically I'm wondering if it has to do with the connections through the harness... Either dirt is impeding or I just simply need a new harness?

Any thoughts appreciated.

#2 8 years ago

Are you using the right bulbs? I believe it's 12V and not the standard 6.3V.

#3 8 years ago

Oops got it wrong, #194 bulbs

#4 8 years ago

IIRC the topper uses # 194 bulbs.

Gord

#5 8 years ago

194. Yes

#6 8 years ago

Okay, I guess I'm using the wrong bulbs - 555 Frosted LED's... But they are working in a number of the sockets.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Okay, I guess I'm using the wrong bulbs - 555 Frosted LED's... But they are working in a number of the sockets.

They work then they burn out. The real issue is you're using the wrong bulbs on any LED you use up there. Not the same effect, haven't heard anyone that like them....gotta go incandescent there.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They work then they burn out. The real issue is you're using the wrong bulbs on any LED you use up there. Not the same effect, haven't heard anyone that like them....gotta go incandescent there.

Okay, I'll go incandescent then... But still think I may have a problem. Any recommendation on 194's I should buy. They have them at Walmart and Amazon...

#9 8 years ago

Worst use of LEDs ever

I wonder if Herg will make WaterfallOCD...

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Any recommendation on 194's I should buy. They have them at Walmart and Amazon...

When I needed some quickly, I got them at walmart. Worked fine. Just VERY expensive.

#11 8 years ago

Two things:

1) As people are noting, those are 12v sockets, so your little LEDs are getting fried. Definitely want to make sure you're using the right bulbs (194s as mentioned, get them from Pinball Life).

2) The topper animation looks awful with LEDs, don't do it. Get the incandescents, the whole point is to have the cool animation. It simply will not look right without the proper bloom and fade of a real bulb, the on/off of an LED ruins it.

Good luck!

#13 8 years ago

Great... Ill order those. Still wondering if I have an issue. Would a faulty harness knock out a number of lights? Could the board have an issue... Any way to test?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from KingDaddy:

Great... Ill order those. Still wondering if I have an issue. Would a faulty harness knock out a number of lights? Could the board have an issue... Any way to test?

Probably just over thinking it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh20-topper-light-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.