Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by JosephT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello all, got an issue with my Whitewater. Flippers work great for awhile (brand new full assembly's from Pinball life.com) but every now and then the left flipper will go dead. By banging on the button a bit will bring it back to life and may play fine for an hour or more. The problem will resurface later on though.

Things I have tried...

1) looking for and reseating loose connections at left flipper button, coil assembly, fliptronics board.

2) replaced the fliptronics board in the backbox with a board from my Fishtales (thought this fixed the issue but problem resurfaced a day later)

Not sure where to go next, maybe swapping out the flipper opto board that sits behind the left button.

I HATE intermittent issues, I wish the flipper would either work or not work at all.

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

What's at the flippers...a switch or opto board? If opto board switch with other side, if not make sure switch is making good contact and clean the blades.

#3 8 years ago

Not trying to be a smartass. Did you check to make sure no wires have come unsoldered?? I had the exact same thing happen on my Shadow. On visual inspection, all looked good. Ended up trouble-shooting for a couple of hours. Then went back to it and although the wire was sitting on top of the solder....it wasn't connected. Worth checking as you don't mention it in your post.

#4 8 years ago

@ the Law - it's an opto board. Looks good to me but maybe I need to get in there and physically clean it out (I havn't done that)

@Bigbossfan - all solder joints look solid. I did them myself when I replaced the flippers with new full setups. I solder alot at work (sheet metal worker by trade but fully understand electronic soldering)

I think I'm gonna swap out the left flipper fliptronics board tomorrow and give it a go. Luckily I have a FT pin in pieces right now to harvest parts from! Thanks for the quick responses!

#5 8 years ago

try reseating the small ribbon cable on the flipper opto board in the cabinet,Also clean that opto with a q-tip and a little windex.clean the header pins on that same flipper board

#6 8 years ago

sounds like a flakey left flipper opto board, try switching sides and see if you can get the right flipper to do it.
Fliptronics usually refers to a board in the bb above the mpu.

#7 8 years ago

Okay sounds good, gonna try switching left and right flipper opto boards tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you!

#8 8 years ago

I flipped the opto boards and the problem immediately switched to the right flipper. Took it back out, cleaned it up and adjusted it a bit and it seems to be working good (still keeping an eye on it). Thanks for all the replys!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

17,250 (OBO)
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh20-intermittent-left-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.