WH20 Color DMD problems need help

By Industen

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

When I boot whitewater every thing is fine for a game or two. Then the DMD starts to distort and the left flipper power drops then goes dead. If I turn the game off and press on the chips on board the issue goes away then comes back. Not sure which chip makes this go away. One thing I notice that is different is Bigfoot energizes when I boot the game I don't think he did this before. I replaced the DMD cable, tried another Color DMD, rebuilt the left flippers. Any suggestions?

#2 7 years ago

12 volts dropping low ?

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

Sounds like a 12v power issue. Check the voltage at TP1 at the upper left corner of the power driver board. Should be over 13V without the ColorDMD connected and over 12.5V with it connected.

#4 7 years ago

12.8 without
12.4 with some dropping to 11.9

#5 7 years ago

Looks like I had j104 and j105 reversed. Sorry for my stupidity.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Not stupid. You figured it out. And an easy fix.

Good job !

LTG : )

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

This is not a fix. J104 and j105 is the same plug just two different headers. I guess if anything you reseated the two plugs (or one of there is only one in use). The problem is likely to resurface. You may want to move the colorDMD to its own power supply.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This is not a fix. J104 and j105 is the same plug. I guess if anything you reseated the two plugs (or one of there is only one in use). The problem is likely to resurface. You may want to move the colorDMD to its own power supply.

Will do. I did notice some strange sound issues during the switch. Game sounds were playing at different times. Example, when booted up the end music would play before are during the game.

#9 7 years ago

It did come back but I think I know where it is. When the screen gets weird so does the sound. After I hit the whirlpool and Bigfoot activates it goes away. The sound goes back to normal and so does the screen. After some time it happens again until I hit Bigfoot. When I boot the machine bigfoot kicks out. I do not think this is normal function when booting. I am guessing Bigfoot is causing this.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

It did come back but I think I know where it is. When the screen gets weird so does the sound. After I hit the whirlpool and Bigfoot activates it goes away. The sound goes back to normal and so does the screen. After some time it happens again until I hit Bigfoot. When I boot the machine bigfoot kicks out. I do not think this is normal function when booting. I am guessing Bigfoot is causing this.

Bigfoot might just be kicking out because there's an opto switch in there and it thinks there's a ball in there. The optos run off 12vdc power, which is extra taxed since you installed the colorDMD. What I'd do is this. Unhook your colorDMD. Power on the game and play it (with no display) and see if there are any other bad symptoms. If there are not, you know your game cannot handle the extra load from the colorDMD.

#11 7 years ago

The ColorDMD can operate down to around 7V. If the display is doing weird things it's likely that there is a problem with very fast voltage swings on the 12V supply. This is a sign that the supply is not operating correctly. Could be a bad cap or poor solder joint.

Moving the ColorDMD to an independent supply will reduce the load but will not solve the problem with the failing supply. It should be fixed. With a properly operating 12V supply in WH2O, there should be no problem driving the ColorDMD.

The 12V supply is just comprised of three components (a bridge rectifier, capacitor, and fuse holder) and the traces that connect them.

1 week later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Since you are having sound and animation issues, I think your data is getting lost or corrupt. Try to reseat the 4 conductor ribbon cable that starts at the top left of the MPU board that plugs into the Fliptronix board then to the sound board and then to the DMD controller board.

#13 7 years ago

Listen to dmod (the maker of ColorDMD) and markmon. They are on the right path. First thing I thought when I read your post was a 12v issue. Flaky 12v on dmd games is not uncommon for these games as they age.

#14 7 years ago

You can swap your power driver board as well between Judge Dredd if you want to see if the issue moves with that board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

17,250 (OBO)
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh20-color-dmd-problems-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.