Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6908.JPG
IMG_6907.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Never repaired a flipper but will have a go, except not sure what is wrong. 3rd flipper sticks badly and will eventually go back to position after 4 or 5 balls tap it down.

Here are 2 photos - any ideas?

EOS switches look new.

IMG_6907.JPGIMG_6907.JPG IMG_6908.JPGIMG_6908.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Does the coil remained charged or does the flipper just stick? If the flipper is sticking you might try a new coil sleeve. If sleeve is damaged you may need a new coil and/or board repair. If you have the know-how, a flipper rebuild might be a good idea.

George M.

#3 11 years ago

Looks real sloppy. I'd just do a rebuild, should take care of it.

#4 11 years ago

First check clearance to playfield.Then make sure its not hanging up on the ramp directly above.Had that happen to me.If neither replace sleeve next.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

Does the coil remained charged or does the flipper just stick? If the flipper is sticking you might try a new coil sleeve. If sleeve is damaged you may need a new coil and/or board repair. If you have the know-how, a flipper rebuild might be a good idea.
George M.

It works for a few shots and then sticks and then works and so on....

Maybe a rebuild then.

My lower flippers don't have that spring that this does?

#6 11 years ago

Double springs ? The EOS leaf switch looks like it may be hitting the flipper pawl.

Jim

#7 11 years ago

If you are cleaning up the assembly or doing a rebuild, make sure to not only replace the plastic sleeve inside the coil, but also the white nylon bushing that the flipper rod sleeves into. If either are dirty or damaged, they will cause friction on the assembly.

#8 11 years ago

You have both types of spring on there. Usually its one or the other I think. I am currently refurbing my WH20 and my upper flipper only has the large spring. I would try removing the other spring.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Fintan_Stack:

I would try removing the other spring.

The other spring as well as the arm it's connected to. It may be binding against the orbit rail of the lower playfield.

#10 11 years ago

The plastic piece which attaches the coil plunger to the flipper paul shows signs of binding in the picture. My machine was doing this and it had the spring over the coil shaft, I removed that spring and installed the new type which you have already and problem cleared up, so I would suggest looking there, try manually pushing on coil plunger (plunger only with screwdriver) and see if it sticks due to the plastic piece.

#11 11 years ago

And to beat the dead horse here. It is well worth it to do a total rebuild for that flipper. It's fairly easy and it has to go up a steep ramp, nice to have a solid working flipper.

#12 11 years ago

I had this expact problem, the pawl was getting stuck on the EOS switch. Bent the end of the leaf on the switch back and that fixed it. Time to revamp the flippers for me, too. Lots of rejected shots to Insanity Falls.

#13 11 years ago

There are a number of issues you've got here.

1. Coil stop is bent (no longer at 90*), this should be replaced.

2. Coil stop cap screws are mismatched, one is a security bit, one is Allen head. You may have to remove the Allen first, then use Visegrips for the other (unless you have a security bit set).

3. A lazy operator added another spring rather than fix the binding problem on the coil.

I'd get a complete rebuild kit (don't forget to get a new flipper bushing too). Plunger is probably torn up from the fat spring and the sleeve gets worn from the plunger. Kit will have new cap screws and coil stop, too.

#14 11 years ago

Like everybody else said no double springs ever. Rebuild it. The newer return spring linkages with hit against the right orbits guide rail. My buddies solution is to glue an old flipper rubber against that guide rail so that the linkage doesn't make a tinging sound.

#15 11 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Looks like a re-build is the way to go.

I will take the spring out in the next few days and see if it helps as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

17,250 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wh20-3rd-flipper-advicehelp-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.