• 556 posts
  • 94 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 73 days ago by TomDK
  • Topic is favorited by 91 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 198 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AD43E980-271F-40F7-9287-BD90D95EC580 (resized).jpeg
85240633-AC23-43DE-82E1-54FBCDBB10C0 (resized).jpeg
0D545371-D893-4B6D-9C57-FFCB8B62B6F7 (resized).jpeg
92D472E7-7D7C-46D4-BCD2-8C2542EF0A6A (resized).jpeg
85B3A1E3-721A-4D26-9143-B120C75F6A65 (resized).jpeg
8B023276-F804-44AA-9301-9D22238F4595 (resized).jpeg
O9HY42W4SZqCTpDCVWuYRA (resized).jpg
4qG+0t1UT%CDgWsWRYvRlA (resized).jpg
dCH8JYKNQ5e2hSHaiTNLOg (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Coil Switch (resized).jpg
EE140725-68EE-41EB-AAF2-681327035262 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190227-060336_Facebook (resized).jpg
B4306F8A-79D1-4952-A687-BA55D40B507D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 556 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.
#251 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

crap that sucks...what do you do now? Is helmut selling any?

Didn't think about asking Helmut since HP is dead and shuttered. Assumed his HP address would have been disconnected as standard protocol. Trying to get the boards repaired. A failed chip on each was initially replaced, but another culprit must still be tracked down. Would have swapped in spare i/o boards right away if I had access to buy them or alternate replacement boards.

#252 1 year ago

If posting I/O board failures, please include the HW revision number printed on the board, and/or the color of the board. I've seen red/green/blue/black boards and they are all slightly different.

#253 1 year ago

Replica tongue stepper motor board being assembled in China.

EA412C82-31C6-46EB-8992-05F3FD4FA9F9 (resized).jpeg

#254 1 year ago

Highway Pinball?

Is that accidental? Do you even want that company's branding (spelt correctly) on it? Or am I missing something?

#255 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Highway Pinball?
Is that accidental? Do you even want that company's branding (spelt correctly) on it? Or am I missing something?

That’s how you can tell it’s a knockoff

#256 1 year ago

Some many "HIGH" jokes to be made. Let's just hope we got the traces correct.

...and by we, I mean you knockerlover

#257 1 year ago

I have a decoration playfield from an Alien and got a monitor and the support pcb.
Are there any cables out to connect the monitor with the support pcb ?
I am not "in electronics" to make the cable my own. Maybe someone has a solution where to buy which cable.

A pinout plan would also be great ... at least I will solder.

The plan is to illuminate the playfield with rrb-led´s and run scene of the pinball and/or movie on the monitor ... and that as a wall hanger.

Please let me know ....

Thanks
Tom

#258 1 year ago

To connect the playfield screen to the driver board you will need a 40pin LVDS connector.

Quickbuying 40pin LED Screen Cable Single 6 LVDS Cable LP140WH1 LED LCD Screen Cable Wire For Replacement amazon.com link »

But on these games the power is spliced into this cable from a small transformer/inverter.

There isn’t any alien/Heighway documentation, so you will need to read up on LVDS and figure out the power requirements.

I’m sure it would be easier to just buy a tablet or something self contained.

#259 1 year ago

Anyone know the latest hardware update version?

#260 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Anyone know the latest hardware update version?

1.2 for the game code, the latest I/O board firmware is 0.9

#261 1 year ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

1.2 for the game code, the latest I/O board firmware is 0.9

best way to get and upgrade the I/Os? I have .8

#262 1 year ago

If you have the latest game code installed, go into the test menu, select I/O boards, you will need to go into each I/O board individually and select update.

#263 1 year ago

Got it updated - thx for the help

#264 1 year ago

If you have the latest game code installed, go into the test menu, select I/O boards, you will need to go into each I/O board individually and select update.

I do not recall going into each board individually...nor do I even recall that being an option. I ran the I/O board update and it's telling me they are all up to date.

#265 1 year ago

To update to 1.2 doesn't Ferret say it has to be on 1.0 at a minimum?

#266 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

To update to 1.2 doesn't Ferret say it has to be on 1.0 at a minimum?

I believe so. All LE's shipped with at least 1.0. SE's you might have to check.

#267 1 year ago

Highly recommend the 2 Cliffy protectors as well as a mylar on the front of the kickout.

IMG_7573 (resized).JPGIMG_7574 (resized).JPG

#268 1 year ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Highly recommend the 2 Cliffy protectors as well as a mylar on the front of the kickout.

The final production LE:s come with a metal protector on the airlock and the magnet is surrounded by mylar. I cancelled my order of cliffies yesterday because of this.

#269 1 year ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I do not recall going into each board individually...nor do I even recall that being an option. I ran the I/O board update and it's telling me they are all up to date.

yes you do need to update the io boards to .09 each

#270 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

yes you do need to update the io boards to .09 each

I did...but not one at a time. It updated all of them.

#271 1 year ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Where did you order the protector around the magnet? The mylar isn't enough.

#272 1 year ago

Tongue board PCBs arrived today.. it will be a few weeks before any more updates as I’m still moving and the games and shop are basically all packed up.

3F6C0D97-A978-472D-944E-F9110A4058A1 (resized).jpeg
#273 1 year ago

Made a webpage and repository for the software/hardware upgrades and re-image.
http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html

#274 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Thank you very much!

#276 1 year ago
Quoted from Olaa:

Where did you order the protector around the magnet? The mylar isn't enough.

Its a cliffy I believe. I cancelled my order for the cliffy thinking that mylar would be sufficent Well, I submitted today an order for a playfield protector, that should do it.

1 week later
#277 1 year ago

posted this on alien thread too. Still cant xeno to work right....I have taken off large head and loosed the 2 scews underneath that hold white plastic in place. I am do not think there is any binding. In calibrate it works most of the the time. I sometimes get an extend error. WHen I do shot test it sometimes goes all the way in other times stops randomly some where. The switches are all working.
Ive tried looking at the little xeno board on the back and adjusting that little screw but is the tinies screw head I have seen and cant tell how much to turn or if It starts over if I keep turning.
Anyone that has resolved this? Could a new small xeno board help?

#278 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Anyone that has resolved this? Could a new small xeno board help?

For me it was the screw. would not even calibrate correctly.
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would extend but wouldn't retract (magnet too strong on field).
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would retract, but wouldn't drop the ball.
Turned the screw clockwise more and now it drops the ball.

However, if I do two straight game tests in a row with real game and ball on magnet, on the second test it will not extend all the way. I just don't see a real world situation where that is going to happen (too much time)even between players so I am indifferent to that test right now.

#279 1 year ago
Quoted from budroosker:

For me it was the screw. would not even calibrate correctly.
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would extend but wouldn't retract (magnet too strong on field).
then turned the screw with a jewelers screwdriver and then it would retract, but wouldn't drop the ball.
Turned the screw clockwise more and now it drops the ball.
However, if I do two straight game tests in a row with real game and ball on magnet, on the second test it will not extend all the way. I just don't see a real world situation where that is going to happen (too much time)even between players so I am indifferent to that test right now.

well i’m glad i’m not crazy because sometimes I get 2-3 diff results runing same test.

i may just disable xeno for now if that is an option

#280 1 year ago

My point was it was eventually fixed as it gained more power with each test. (unclear in my writing style, maybe)

The last thing was it doesn't test two time in a row, but I don't see that ever happening in the game so as far as I am concerned it works.

You can disable the head in the menu

#281 1 year ago
Quoted from budroosker:

My point was it was eventually fixed as it gained more power with each test. (unclear in my writing style, maybe)
The last thing was it doesn't test two time in a row, but I don't see that ever happening in the game so as far as I am concerned it works.
You can disable the head in the menu

got it. thx

#282 1 year ago

Can someone tell me how to update the I/O boards. I can't find it in the menu system. Also can't find it online though I know I've seen it somewhere.

Edit: Nevermind, found the information and updated the boards. (Service menu: Tests: I/O Boards - Enter to Update)

#283 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Any chance you could host the Full Throttle image & updates if I get them to you?

#284 1 year ago
Quoted from shaneo:

Any chance you could host the Full Throttle image & updates if I get them to you?

Sure - sending pm

#285 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Sure - sending pm

Beaut. You know where they are.

#286 1 year ago

Think I have figured out xeno issue...I noticed a slightly higher pitch sound when it did not travel all the way back. I can see the gear spinning slightly on the metal shaft. Unfortunately this is a design flaw that I prob cant fix. Unless someone can come up with a new design or a way to attach the gear to the shaft where it can not spin. For now Ill disable in settings.

#287 1 year ago

You can a gear was made with a slot instead

#288 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Think I have figured out xeno issue...I noticed a slightly higher pitch sound when it did not travel all the way back. I can see the gear spinning slightly on the metal shaft. Unfortunately this is a design flaw that I prob cant fix. Unless someone can come up with a new design or a way to attach the gear to the shaft where it can not spin. For now Ill disable in settings.

This came up in another thread. The gear is glued onto the shaft, it is not keyed for it. Why? Because Heighway.

#289 1 year ago
Quoted from Durzel:

This came up in another thread. The gear is glued onto the shaft, it is not keyed for it. Why? Because Heighway.

if they had keyed it that would have been perfect

#290 1 year ago

Check out this post I made in the support thread. I had the same issue where my Xeno didn't work because the gear was slipping on the shaft. If you take it apart, you can drip some superglue on the gear around the shaft. It worked for me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/9#post-4409235

#291 1 year ago

Yeah I was thinking jb weld. I have done this with many gears with great success

#292 1 year ago

If you prefer to just pull the old plastic gear off and put a brand new metal one on it with a proper set screw, this is the one I used and it's a perfect replacement:

ebay.com link

There are several listings on ebay and elsewhere, so if you want to shop around, it's a Pinion gear with the specs of 5mm bore (shaft), 32P (pitch), 28T (teeth). The outer diameter measures 23.7mm or .93". It seems like they are mostly all in the $10-13 range though if you get them from a domestic supplier.

FYI, you will basically need to take the whole xeno mech apart to replace the gear though. I had to.

EDIT: Adding that this gear is intended to work with the Digi-Key model stepper motor that shipped with later games since it has a 5mm shaft:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/QSH4218-35-10-027/1460-1074-ND/4843425?utm_medium=email&utm_source=oce&utm_campaign=_OCE18RT&utm_content=productdetail_US&utm_cid=538107&so=55184395&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTkRBME5UTTJaRGd3TkdVNCIsInQiOiJrUnY3ZUZnTzUrOU9VOTJVNE5tZ0dlc0ZyK3duY1Y1U0h6c01UUDNCUVVKa1lmdW1uUUFJejY1cXhyK0l1aVhTM0lkbEdRNUhtXC9kcUY1TFVwektaamJPeEJJa0NUd0xXZEFxWnFpU3NNdk1JbWpqYXBpaHBJam5qMEVzUDluR0oifQ%3D%3D

#293 1 year ago
Quoted from RazerX:

If you prefer to just pull the old plastic gear off and put a brand new metal one on it with a proper set screw, this is the one I used and it's a perfect replacement:
ebay.com link
There are several listings on ebay and elsewhere, so if you want to shop around, it's a Pinion gear with the specs of 5mm bore (shaft), 32P (pitch), 28T (teeth). The outer diameter measures 23.7mm or .93". It seems like they are mostly all in the $10-13 range though if you get them from a domestic supplier.
FYI, you will basically need to take the whole xeno mech apart to replace the gear though. I had to.

Can you confirm if this is for the later model stepper motor shaft size?

#294 1 year ago

Can you confirm if this is for the later model stepper motor shaft size?

Yes, it works with the Digi-Key stepper motor.

#295 1 year ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Yes, it works with the Digi-Key stepper motor.

Awesome. are their instructions anywhere to get motor/gear off?

#296 1 year ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Awesome. are their instructions anywhere to get motor/gear off?

Not that I know of. I would suggest just taking lots of pictures when you do it and take notes if you think you need to, so that you know exactly how it goes back together again. It's not that there's a lot of pieces but they do need to go back together properly and some in a certain order.

My original gear was not slipping but I thought maybe my stepper motor was going bad. Turns out it wasn't and I didn't need to replace any of it, but I guess at least it's more solid now. You may want to confirm that your gear is slipping on the shaft before going through and replacing any of this. If it's not, it's likely something else causing it.

#297 1 year ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Check out this post I made in the support thread. I had the same issue where my Xeno didn't work because the gear was slipping on the shaft. If you take it apart, you can drip some superglue on the gear around the shaft. It worked for me.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien/page/9#post-4409235

funny i put a little gorilla crazy glue on the exposed side where the gear meets the metal. was thinking if you could hit both sides it could hold

#298 1 year ago

hearing that there are 3d printed gears out there. wondering if anyone on here has bought one and if they hold up

#299 1 year ago

Otherwise the metal one in the ebay link works

#300 1 year ago

Has anyone been able to source those plugin reed switches from anywhere?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 399.95
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
There are 556 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside