pasted_image (resized).png
Coil Switch (resized).jpg
EE140725-68EE-41EB-AAF2-681327035262 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190227-060336_Facebook (resized).jpg
B4306F8A-79D1-4952-A687-BA55D40B507D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 563 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Alien A - PA0113 (obviously the newest w/ the pinball brothers boards, and the updated xeno boards/motor)
Alien B - PA0028
Alien C - PA0025

So I definitely have a hybrid compared to your A,B&C. According to Heighway my game was "production game #20".

Like your game A it has:
The "open" PC with plexiglass cover
DVI connected playfield screen
The IO boards are all blue
A sticker on the back indicating that it's an SE with a serial number

Unlike your game A mine has:
All "Heighway" labeled main boards
The main trunk runs up the middle (vs right side)
Older single Xenomorph board

So how many variations are there?

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So I definitely have a hybrid compared to your A,B&C. According to Heighway my game was "production game #20".
Like your game A it has:

edit...It says PA0058 on the bottom of the playfield

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Like your game A it has:

Mine is exactly like yours. Do you have the January 2018 updated code?
I read that some can’t update, fortunately mine has the updated code.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

Mine is exactly like yours. Do you have the January 2018 updated code?

Yes I do.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

If that is machine C (PA-0025), I'm curious how the update goes. I was told you could not update code until the updated hardware (GI lights, drop targets and Xeno) were installed.

Check that it's version 0.94 to be sure. That's the only version of the code that supports this particular combination of hardware.

Installing 1.00 or higher on this equipment will cause two problems: the LED numbering changed, so the lighting will be all crazy; and the drop target board has inverted signals (drop down will be detected as drop up, and vice versa). This will also be very confusing and may cause the reset coil to fire continuously.

#56 5 years ago

At the VFW last weekend and Clay's Alien was very very dark. Zenomorph worked. I wonder now if it is using upgraded code and the GI lighting is either disconnected or just messed up. Your playfield is much brighter in the video...

IMG_3275 (resized).JPGIMG_3275 (resized).JPG

#57 5 years ago

At a glance, it looks like only the lower-right quadrant in that picture is dark... in which case, I'd check for a loose bulb somewhere, which would take out everything "downstream" in the chain. Using Tests>Single Lamp can help identify the culprit... single-step through the lamps until one doesn't light as expected, and then suspect either that lamp or the one immediately previous.

(It's also unclear to me what the horizontal thing is on the mid-right of the playfield... glow stick?)

#58 5 years ago

Here are some specs of my drives, boards and serial numbers in Alien LE #55:

- internal serial number is P-0152
- blue Highway Pinball IO-Board 1.48
- black Pinball Brothers Board 0.96b
- open PC with Plexiglas
- playfield-protector installed

Actual issues:

- sometimes hyperlock-scoop does not notice the ball and mission can not be started (happens when pin is played for some hours)
- softwarebug "Xenotongue"
- one egg is dark (seen yesterday, so it might just be the bulb)

Overall no critical issues... just hoping for a final 100% working solution with update 1.2.

IMG_6575 (resized).JPGIMG_6575 (resized).JPG
IMG_6573 (resized).JPGIMG_6573 (resized).JPG
IMG_6577 (resized).JPGIMG_6577 (resized).JPG
IMG_6582 (resized).JPGIMG_6582 (resized).JPG
IMG_6584 (resized).JPGIMG_6584 (resized).JPG
IMG_6576 (resized).JPGIMG_6576 (resized).JPG
thumbnail (resized).jpgthumbnail (resized).jpg
IMG_6574 (resized).JPGIMG_6574 (resized).JPG

#59 5 years ago

One of ours was 0.94 and crashed on update
Had to do a full 1.0 install then update

We just rebuild the xeno mech as was binding

Looking at the flipper coil high pitch noise at present

#60 5 years ago

There was a company that approached someone pinballinfo.com that said they could supply pinball boards - its clear that Heighway had an integrated developer do the whole board (which typically you avoid doing because you'll be ripped off). Here is the picture that the Chinese company sent, it might look familiar. DrPinball might be able to give details on who it was which could be a huge help in keeping these games going...

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/pcbs-from-china-anyone.36692/

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

At the VFW last weekend and Clay's Alien was very very dark. Zenomorph worked. I wonder now if it is using upgraded code and the GI lighting is either disconnected or just messed up. Your playfield is much brighter in the video...

We have a problem with our Alien on the right slingshot/outlane dividers. The LEDs work *sometimes* for those lights. Makes the game very dark. It is intermittent (actually mostly it does not work, but sometimes it does.)

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Probably plenty as the ex employees said they were just cobbling them together with whatever they had.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Probably plenty as the ex employees said they were just cobbling them together with whatever they had.

Maybe its just me but it would bug me if I was building something with wrong, missing, bad parts and I knew they were going out the door. I always liked how Williams games had an "inspected by" sticker on them

#64 5 years ago

Yes, but I think it was because they couldn't afford to get any more new stock of parts and boards....

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Maybe its just me but it would bug me if I was building something with wrong, missing, bad parts and I knew they were going out the door. I always liked how Williams games had an "inspected by" sticker on them

My Alien has an "inspected by" sticker on the bottom of the playfield.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

My Alien has an "inspected by" sticker on the bottom of the playfield.

Mine too! It says Ray Charles.....

#67 5 years ago

Great thread guys. As a former owner of one that was perfect, if I can help in anyway, lmk. I lack your technical abilities to re-engineer but applaud you for trying and if successful, would be an amazing accomplishment.

#69 5 years ago

We also have 4 Alien's that we're working on here at Area 51. We've replaced the IO boards and several other items. Just waiting on a few final replacement parts to finish up.

Area51 (resized).jpgArea51 (resized).jpg

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Mine too! It says Ray Charles.....

Mine says Stevie Wonder

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

We also have 4 Alien's that we're working on here at Area 51. We've replaced the IO boards and several other items. Just waiting on a few final replacement parts to finish up.

will the replacement parts show up with the $5k you are owed?

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

will the replacement parts show up with the $5k you are owed?

We're sourcing our own parts. We'll also be making replacement IO boards for those in need.

#73 5 years ago

We're sourcing our own parts. We'll also be making replacement IO boards for those in need.

Thats Great Tommy Good Job, Sad situation

PS the high pitch left flipper buzz is PVM software problem on IO board runs left flippers, not mechanical or coils

#74 5 years ago

Very cool! Would love to know more about what types of games you have (protos va production) and what repairs and parts sourcing you have done.

#75 5 years ago

Now that is huge! Great news

#76 5 years ago

We'll also be making replacement IO boards for those in need.

#77 5 years ago

Wow that really helps. How rediculous $$$ wise is shipping a pin from Canada?

#78 5 years ago

How much for io boards?!?

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

How much for io boards?!?

I would also be interested to learn if any design changes were made or if they are exact copies.

#80 5 years ago

I saw one guy with blown mosfets, is there a specific flaw in the heighway/pinbro boards?

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I saw one guy with blown mosfets, is there a specific flaw in the heighway/pinbro boards?

I know that lots of people have trouble with the I/O boards. The only flaw I'm personally aware of is the brittleness of the USB interfaces.

#82 5 years ago

Working multiple angles here.. we've reached out to a few EE friends for advice on replicating the Xeno boards and all have said pretty much the same thing.

a.) These aren't complicated, but someone will need to spend the time to re-draw them in something like diptrace and work with a board prototype shop to get them printed.
b.) You'll need to get the code from them

The image below is the more complicated board and we believe controls the "jaw" servo.

jaw_controller (resized).jpgjaw_controller (resized).jpg

The programming interface we believe is JP1 in the bottom left, as it appears to be a 6 pin AVR ICSP programmer. It's possible that we can pull the code from these boards using this interface if they are not protected.. we're hoping that heighway skipped this step given how everything else is hodgepodged together.

Here is the AVR programmed that I ordered to try.

https://www.amazon.com/HonsCreat-Programming-Programmer-Quadcopter-ATMEGA128/dp/B071P2LCC9/ref=sr_1_6

#83 5 years ago

Working multiple angles here.. we've reached out to a few EE friends for advice on replicating the Xeno boards and all have said pretty much the same thing.
a.) These aren't complicated, but someone will need to spend the time to re-draw them in something like diptrace and work with a board prototype shop to get them printed.
b.) You'll need to get the code from them
The image below is the more complicated board and we believe controls the "jaw" servo.

The programming interface we believe is JP1 in the bottom left, as it appears to be a 6 pin AVR ICSP programmer. It's possible that we can pull the code from these boards using this interface if they are not protected.. we're hoping that heighway skipped this step given how everything else is hodgepodged together.
Here is the AVR programmed that I ordered to try.
amazon.com link »

It will be locked, mine is, reach out to the electrical engineer, I have spares if needed to copy

#84 5 years ago

Heighway swapped the pins on the servo plug (labeled "jaw" in your picture... why would they swap the pinout!?!), if someone remakes those boards I suggest they make that plug work with the standard servo pinout. I blindly plugged a regular servo on there when my original burned out. it will probably blow the voltage regulator if left on as well as not drive the servo.

#85 5 years ago

We also have 4 Alien's that we're working on here at Area 51.

Keep this up and pretty soon you'll have them all!

#86 5 years ago

Confirmed today that these locks are a drop-in replacement for the backbox locks.

"CRL Nickel Plated Track Plunger Lock - Keyed Alike"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KZXGQU

#87 5 years ago

Nice. Do you know where they sourced the PF TV panels b/c when I bought mine, the original issue was the PF TV and it was replaced and worked since but that might be something people want to buy a backup of....

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Nice. Do you know where they sourced the PF TV panels b/c when I bought mine, the original issue was the PF TV and it was replaced and worked since but that might be something people want to buy a backup of....

I don't know exactly where they were sourced from, but they are made by Innolux part # Q101IRE-LA1 and are Rev 01. They are available at Ali Express for about $50/each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-10-1-inch-Q101IRE-LA1-LCD-flat-screen-computer/32812494499.html

#89 5 years ago

Care package came in from cliffy today..

1C6DBC00-0717-4795-8CB8-9EFBCD0BDD80 (resized).jpeg1C6DBC00-0717-4795-8CB8-9EFBCD0BDD80 (resized).jpeg

#90 5 years ago

I don't know exactly where they were sourced from, but they are made by Innolux part # Q101IRE-LA1 and are Rev 01. They are available at Ali Express for about $50/each.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-10-1-inch-Q101IRE-LA1-LCD-flat-screen-computer/32812494499.html

damn - 50 is cheap! They wanted to sell me an extra for 500 when they replaced my original for free. Good to know for future owners.

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

damn - 50 is cheap! They wanted to sell me an extra for 500 when they replaced my original for free. Good to know for future owners.

that is only for the display, the whole unit including the frame, boards, etc.. I can see them wanting to retail that whole unit for that.. still robbery..

#92 5 years ago

If you can make the IO boards I'll take 4 please.

#93 5 years ago

The display driver boards used in the backbox display and playfield are the same only the jumpers are set differently.

The backbox display (shown below) is set to 5v where the playfield display is set to 3.3v

B629D211-5FAE-4659-A79E-737330BAEA5E (resized).jpegB629D211-5FAE-4659-A79E-737330BAEA5E (resized).jpeg

#94 5 years ago

The stepper motor for the tongue on the upgraded gen 2's (two board system) is a Trinamic Motion Control GmbH QSH4218-35-10-027
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/trinamic-motion-control-gmbh/QSH4218-35-10-027/1460-1074-ND/4843425

0D1BA613-5200-4EA4-A314-95F7BF27B169 (resized).jpeg0D1BA613-5200-4EA4-A314-95F7BF27B169 (resized).jpeg

#95 5 years ago

Man this thread is so awesome. I love it. Great job!

#96 5 years ago

Yes the tongue stepper motor is a Digikey part. You beat me to that

The original jaw motor is a cheap China plastic gear motor that strips and breaks. SG90

There is a better upgrade metal gear unit here. Amazon RioRand MG90S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M8SR0ZK/ref=mp_s_a_1_5

IMG_7051 (resized).JPGIMG_7051 (resized).JPG

IMG_7052 (resized).JPGIMG_7052 (resized).JPG

IMG_7050 (resized).JPGIMG_7050 (resized).JPG

#97 5 years ago

Thank you mnpinball !!

#98 5 years ago

The angle the jaw servo is expected to operate at certainly seems like something that is a weakness.

#99 5 years ago

Ordered...Thanks a bunch for the link.

#100 5 years ago

Using the USBASP ISCP programmer below, I was able to successfully connect to the jaw board and read off the hex code that resides on it..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071P2LCC9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Once the drivers are installed using Zadig, and a copy of avrdude.. The below command was successful.

avrdude -c usbasp -p atmega328p -Uflash:r:c:\directory\jaw.hex:i

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

65DEED44-6C7B-438C-8390-A986774EB42B (resized).jpeg65DEED44-6C7B-438C-8390-A986774EB42B (resized).jpeg

This means that once we get a run of PCB's that we should be able to load this hex code back onto the new boards, and hopefully successfully duplicate them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 563 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive/page/2?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.