pasted_image (resized).png
Coil Switch (resized).jpg
EE140725-68EE-41EB-AAF2-681327035262 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20190227-060336_Facebook (resized).jpg
B4306F8A-79D1-4952-A687-BA55D40B507D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 563 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
#451 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Another tip is to swap a potentially bad LED with the one at the end of the chain.

Or, get some new LED's from TimeBandit. I'm glad I did. I was able to fix all the LED issues, and still have a few spares left over in case I need 'em later.

#452 5 years ago

I sold my SE, but Alien was definitely the best in my collection.. was sad to part with . Great movie clips/sounds. I miss it..

#453 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Or, get some new LED's from TimeBandit. I'm glad I did. I was able to fix all the LED issues, and still have a few spares left over in case I need 'em later.

Agreed, but in this case the issues I was having wasn’t with the LEDs themselves but with the traces on the large PCBs.

I heard (and have found) that the early run PCBs were notorious for having fragile traces. I’m considering ordering a replacement Middle PCB (the big led board underneath in the middle) but need a minimum of 6mto do a small run. They are $300 each, so I know it’s a long shot but I’d like a backup/replacement of the newer style PCB. Perhaps some others might want one too.

#454 5 years ago

I'd be interested, what all is different from early run boards?

#455 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'd be interested, what all is different from early run boards?

I don’t know the specifics, and haven’t evaluated them closely. But I heard from someone on the team that “crappy traces on the PCB. The early machines were infamous for that.”

Other than at some point the name changed from Heighway to pinball brothers and the rev # increased. I did notice on my prototype that there are several LED sockets that are unused like originally two LEDs were planned for certain inserts so maybe they were eliminated?

#456 5 years ago

I was able to procure another small batch of the IO boards. They are $250 ea shipped in the US, slightly higher for international. Shoot me a message if you'd like one or more. Thanks, Chris

IMG_0003 (resized).JPGIMG_0003 (resized).JPG
#457 5 years ago

Partial success tonight. If you remember the machine I have is machine B which I believe is @sunking’s old machine an early prototype.

Has the new computer running the 1.2 code, and the timebandit LEDs and is 100% playable minus the alien head.

I ordered the production alien head and tongue board from “Mats” via free-play.se.

I also acquired a jaw board from another source but it didn’t have code on it.

mavantix and I made wiring harnesses from scratch based on the sample production machine we had. Machine A.

The tongue actually works.. in ambush multiball picks up the ball and everything.. yay!

The jaw however doesn’t. One thing I noticed is that my machine’s top PCB where the xeno connections are, the 12v connector is upside down. My game constantly resets when this connector is plugged in, flipping it over doesn’t seem to do anything.

Could be I’m flashing the code wrong, the wiring harness is wrong, the jaw pcb code isn’t flashed right.. or the top PCB has some kind of deviation that makes it not work... I guess the next step is to breadboard this thing and try different variations...

Production
F455694A-E389-4D8F-A3C1-8A5A3392D6C1 (resized).jpegF455694A-E389-4D8F-A3C1-8A5A3392D6C1 (resized).jpeg

Prototype
C75A64DA-AC0A-4BD4-B98B-1952B48DBE60 (resized).jpegC75A64DA-AC0A-4BD4-B98B-1952B48DBE60 (resized).jpeg

Note the tab on the opposite side for the two pin (black yellow) 12v connector.

#458 5 years ago

for some reason Wales reversed two of the four wires on the servo connector. If you get a 'standard' servo from let's say Amazon two of the wires (the two middle ones I think) need to be swapped (like I have a miniature molex tool).

I've replaced my servo once. I didn't do it very well and it needs it again. There is a slightly more expensive servo with metal gears (instead of plastic) and that is a more durable replacement).

#459 5 years ago

I changed out the servo for the jaw last night. I had to rearrange the wires in the connector. This is a picture of the original vs the new one before I did anything.

My thumb is touching the original connector.

I also arched the wire that connects to the servo and jaw. Mine was always very straight and rubbed against the assembly when in motion. I'm sure that is what burnt out the motor the first time. The jaw never opened and closed very smooth. The jaw works perfect now that the wire is free from rubbing.

signal-2018-10-12-201655 (resized).jpgsignal-2018-10-12-201655 (resized).jpgsignal-2018-10-12-201732 (resized).jpgsignal-2018-10-12-201732 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#461 5 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sling GI boards arrived. Fit perfectly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Got these installed into mine a few weeks back.
Look awesome.
The extra light is perfect. It is not overpowering and doesn’t detract from the game at all.

#462 5 years ago

Deleted.

#463 5 years ago

So.. my game crashed last night and some awesome people helped me get it back on it's feet. I loaded the base firmware with Ubuntu and the game came back up.

The problem is.. in the playfield monitor and the backbox monitor you can see the scoop monitor image in the top right corner. See pics.

I have reached out to some great people and stumped them alittle bit. Wondering if anyone has any ideas here.

I have the green CPU board. I did try to update you on 1.2 after the initial install. I did try to install everything again for a second time. I reset factory defaults. I unplugged each monitor individually from the CPU and plugged in one at a time. None of these things changed any symptoms.

You can also see a pixelated line on the top right of both the playfield and back box monitors. That line runs to the frame of the scoop monitor image. It basically looks like a picture in picture option on a TV.

Prior to the software crashing last night... The monitors we're working as they should.

Thank you all so much for any input.

Brian

20181117_153353 (resized).jpg20181117_153353 (resized).jpg20181117_153419 (resized).jpg20181117_153419 (resized).jpg20181117_160044 (resized).jpg20181117_160044 (resized).jpg20181117_160213 (resized).jpg20181117_160213 (resized).jpg20181117_160632 (resized).jpg20181117_160632 (resized).jpg
#464 5 years ago

We had this happen, and if I recall correctly, the monitors are plugged in the wrong order on the CPU. Try swapping them around rebooting between each attempt until it displays correctly. If need be I can open mine and trace them out?

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

We had this happen, and if I recall correctly, the monitors are plugged in the wrong order on the CPU. Try swapping them around rebooting between each attempt until it displays correctly. If need be I can open mine and trace them out?

I would really appreciate that. If you have a chance. I have tried that. Figured I got every combination.. but, you know how that goes.

Thanks so much.

Brian

#466 5 years ago

Here is where each display should be plugged in.

409FD235-D6EE-4BD4-99D3-7023F1F0783F (resized).jpeg409FD235-D6EE-4BD4-99D3-7023F1F0783F (resized).jpeg
#467 5 years ago

Here is where each display should be plugged in.
[quoted image]

That fixed it. I tried that combination before, but it looks like onhad to power cycle it with the correct configuration. I think I'm back up and running.

Thank you very much for the diagram. I'm going to print that out and keep it with all of my notes.

Thanks again. So very much appreciated.

Brian

#468 5 years ago

To the Alien Community,

Now that I'm getting a nice stash of backup/ replacement parts, looking for the best way to store them. Currently in antistatic bags, sealed in ziploc freezer bags, w a few packs of silica gel for good measure. Any other tips?

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

To the Alien Community,
Now that I'm getting a nice stash of backup/ replacement parts, looking for the best way to store them. Currently in antistatic bags, sealed in ziploc freezer bags, w a few packs of silica gel for good measure. Any other tips?

EEF7790F-7F00-4F6F-B410-477DA68CE908 (resized).jpegEEF7790F-7F00-4F6F-B410-477DA68CE908 (resized).jpeg
#470 5 years ago

Just wanted to throw out some alien props you guys all rock ! In the states we have thanksgiving. And I’m so thankful for everyone here making it possible to have and maintain this game !

#471 5 years ago

Why didn't I think of that!!! Best post of the day...

#472 5 years ago
348530CD-EFD5-4ADF-A127-A41E19CAEEE6 (resized).jpeg348530CD-EFD5-4ADF-A127-A41E19CAEEE6 (resized).jpeg
#473 5 years ago
Quoted from Freedom:

[quoted image]

I like this picture, the reflection on the alien glass looks like a 3d 12 pack of Shasta lol.

#474 5 years ago
Quoted from Freedom:

[quoted image]

You need to fix the LED strip on the side panel or the cabinet it has come slightly unglued and is drooping.

#475 5 years ago

Yes stuck to bare mdf I have hot glued heaps of them

#476 5 years ago

Time Bandit graciously sent us a batch of his new GI LEDs. This is particularly awesome because two of our games originally had the 5SMD towers, which were replaced with the flat LED with no light pipes. The game worked, but the GI was super dark because it couldn’t cast light onto the playfield only up through the GI holes.

The below picture is a comparison of the original GI bulbs (right) next to his new tower (left)
548103ED-D6DB-44F6-ADDF-C8617AE38C49 (resized).jpeg548103ED-D6DB-44F6-ADDF-C8617AE38C49 (resized).jpeg

Here is a comparison of the lower playfield before (top) and after (bottom) installation, the difference is night and day, literally.
309ABBDA-90BF-4F9E-9FDF-813F84B42AB8 (resized).jpeg309ABBDA-90BF-4F9E-9FDF-813F84B42AB8 (resized).jpeg

A huge improvement! However, in these pictures you can still see the middle of the playfield has a dark area due to the orignal sling LED boards being directly behind the switch/rubber. He also makes an upgraded sling GI board, before (top) and after (bottom) picture below.
04CC71E4-D275-464C-AD03-F057525C3CDD (resized).jpeg04CC71E4-D275-464C-AD03-F057525C3CDD (resized).jpeg

I literally had to clean my playfield between pictures because of how well you can see it now, and it was embarrassing how dirty it was! They were super easy to install once I figured out how to maneuver them up through the playfield.

Time bandits products don’t need an endorsement, but just in case here is mine. Great stuff.

#477 5 years ago

once I figured out how to maneuver them up through the playfield

Yeah, there’s a little bit of wiggling to do, but they seem, on mine at least, to have plenty of room to breath once the circuit board is all back in place. No undue pressure anywhere that I can spot.
(Yes, I’m talking about the GI bulbs here, and I now see you meant the sling boards. Lol) Anyway, they all fit whatever their job.

Now we just have to hope the machine builds have consistent alignment.

Thanks for the write up!

#478 5 years ago

Good lord, I hope this works. This is it. The "passive" sensor with no micro. I'm sending the board order off now and will be assembling them late next week.

I have a trim pot on the back for manual threshold adjustment if absolutely necessary. Also for use in other builds.

Fingers crossed!

SensorSansMicro (resized).PNGSensorSansMicro (resized).PNG
SensorBack (resized).PNGSensorBack (resized).PNG

3 weeks later
#479 5 years ago

Was anyone ever able to get new plastics produced for the machine ?

#480 5 years ago

Sometimes they are in stock here.. https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/playfield-plastics/plastic-sets/alien-plastic-set-petg.html

Various others are working on reproducing since the supply seems so low.

#481 5 years ago

Hopefully someone in North America. Shipping from free play is a downer.

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Was anyone ever able to get new plastics produced for the machine ?

I have some sets

#483 5 years ago

Sometimes they are in stock here.. https://www.free-play.se/en/playfield-parts/playfield-plastics/plastic-sets/alien-plastic-set-petg.html
Various others are working on reproducing since the supply seems so low.

Truly a depressing front on community support with this one...

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Truly a depressing front on community support with this one...

The reality is that out of the many complex alien parts this is the lowest tech part and one of the easiest to have recreated. The work many have done to recreate leds and sensors and other parts is truly amazing.

Is there a plan for io boards once current stock runs dry ?

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

The reality is that out of the many complex alien parts this is the lowest tech part and one of the easiest to have recreated. The work many have done to recreate leds and sensors and other parts is truly amazing.

Completely agree ( except making these is apparently difficult). Mike and others have done unbelievable work getting electronics sorted, and available at ridiculously low prices. Genius...

W acrylic plastics, they will ( are) breaking which will eventually chew up PF surfaces w the pieces. I shared .AI files months ago, given to me with the quote " share as you see fit to help the community"...Crickets....

These will be a key component in keeping the games alive.... hoping somebody does the right thing....

#486 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Completely agree. Mike and others have done unbelievable work getting electronics sorted, and available at ridiculously low prices. Genius...
W acrylic plastics, they will ( are) breaking which will eventually chew up PF surfaces w the pieces. I shared .AI files months ago, given to me with the quote " share as you see fit to help the community"...Crickets....
These will be a key component in keeping the games alive.... hoping somebody does the right thing....

What I would love to have seen at this point is the source code for the game released. It would be awesome if the community could have this and expand the game. Not to say the game is limited in any way but then the community can not only expand on the parts support but also the actual game support.

#487 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

What I would love to have seen at this point is the source code for the game released. It would be awesome if the community could have this and expand the game. Not to say the game is limited in any way but then the community can not only expand on the parts support but also the actual game support.

Joe and others have hinted at a revisit at some point down the road....The game certainly isn't limited ( quite the opposite), and am on board to help fund the original coding team to persuade them.

Their product is stellar, and am sure they would be most knowledgeable of what areas could be enhanced...suspect a freelance approach would have to be taken, of course, as perhaps FOX owns the code...

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Joe and others have hinted at a revisit at some point down the road....The game certainly isn't limited ( quite the opposite), and am on board to help fund the original coding team to persuade them.
Their product is stellar, and am sure they would be most knowledgeable of what areas could be enhanced...suspect a freelance approach would have to be taken, of course, as perhaps FOX owns the code...

Fox doesn’t own the code. They own the licensed video and audio assets. The code is owned by Heighway or whatever became of it.

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

Fox doesn’t own the code. They own the licensed video and audio assets. The code is owned by Heighway or whatever became of it.

I'd just like a schematic for starters....

#490 5 years ago

There are several different people working on recreating the plastic sets..

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Pinball Brothers holds the rights to the code now. It is very unlikely that the code will be open sourced.

As Ferret has moved on to work for American, any code updates would have to be done by me with the blessing of PB. I have already expressed an interest in releasing one more Alien code update, as I have been collecting a list of bugs and minor feature updates. I'm happy to take suggestions too - just send me a PM here if you know of anything that is broken. Note that I am not interested in drastically changing the game from the original concept of the design team. There won't be any new modes or major rule changes. I just want to finish it properly.

I can't promise this will happen as we are in the very early stages of talking about this.

#492 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Pinball Brothers holds the rights to the code now. It is very unlikely that the code will be open sourced.
As ferret has moved on to work for American, any code updates would have to be done by me with the blessing of PB. I have already expressed an interest in releasing one more Alien code update, as I have been collecting a list of bugs and minor feature updates. I'm happy to take suggestions too - just send me a PM here if you know of anything that is broken. Note that I am not interested in drastically changing the game from the original concept of the design team. There won't be any new modes or major rule changes. I just want to finish it properly.
I can't promise this will happen as we are in the very early stages of talking about this.

What is the complication with getting this done ? Is it a monetary issue ? Why would they not be for it ?

#493 5 years ago

I'm willing to toss a c note or two at ya bcd I'm sure there's enough that feel the same to cover a few hours of your time.

#494 5 years ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

I have a stash of IO Boards

#495 5 years ago

As stated in an other post ... I made a set of PET plastics for my personal use and also supported one other owner with 2 plastics he broke.
Fact is, the right holders also made PET plastics and offered them (for a fair pricing) therefor I will not offer any plastic sets.
As I understand ... you need a full set of PET plastics, you can get them ..... legal.

#496 5 years ago

My 10” LCD screen isn’t working. It has power going to it.

I’m sure it’s been discussed on previous posts. Does anyone know where to purchase a new one?

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

My 10” LCD screen isn’t working. It has power going to it.
I’m sure it’s been discussed on previous posts. Does anyone know where to purchase a new one?

Before replacing it, the LVDS cable inside is notorious for coming unseated. There are four screws that hold the entire assembly to the underneath of the playfield. Remove those and the cables, then you can remove the display from the housing and inspect the cable connectivity and reseat. Be gentle, it's fragile (crap).

If you need a replacement, you can order them from AliExpress.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-10-1-inch-Q101IRE-LA1-LCD-flat-screen-computer/32812494499.html

#498 5 years ago

Before replacing it, the LVDS cable inside is notorious for coming unseated. There are four screws that hold the entire assembly to the underneath of the playfield. Remove those and the cables, then you can remove the display from the housing and inspect the cable connectivity and reseat. Be gentle, it's fragile (crap).
If you need a replacement, you can order them from AliExpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-10-1-inch-Q101IRE-LA1-LCD-flat-screen-computer/32812494499.html

Thank you for letting me know. Hopefully it just needs reseated.

#499 5 years ago

Be careful reaseating that that screen connection, I had the connector on mine break.

1 month later
#500 5 years ago

Sorry if this has already been covered. I was never sure why my Alien doesn't have the screen in the back box. Someone just directed me to a podcast that said the very early ones shipped like this. Is that your understanding? Has anyone added a screen to to one of these?

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 563 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weyland-yutani-dedicated-to-keeping-3-alien-specimens-alive/page/10?hl=pyramidschemebar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.