Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

VI-MANTIS-E.jpg
    IMG_20130525_142436.jpg
    SDOB_002.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GLModular.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 10 years ago

The only tools that have been in my arsenal (since 1995) has been a Weller WTCPT soldering iron and an old school hand pump desoldering tool (which one well known tech still scoffs at me for using!).

With just those two things, I can pretty much assemble and rework 98% of thru-hole and probably 90% of SMT.

Sure, there are SMT parts that require specialized equipment, such as parts with thermal pads (high powered LEDs usually have these), BGA, QFN and DFN packaged parts, and other such things. But those types of parts will likely not be the ones you are trying to fix in a pinball machine.

Tony

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GLModular.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weve-seen-the-futureand-it-is-smt?tu=GLModular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.