Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Jaeg
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

mach razor (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20210508_130722 (resized).jpg
    20210508_130251 (resized).jpg
    49C41F3C-D42C-415D-82D8-F838D1572743 (resized).jpeg
    shave.gif
    774525E3-F3F9-4956-889A-ED326BD37A52 (resized).jpeg
    20190101_190409 (resized).jpg
    don (resized).jpg
    Maggard-Razors-Basic-Wet-Shaving-Kit-200x200 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190101_133919 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0770 (resized).jpg
    20190101_091138 (resized).jpg
    20190101_091102~2 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-01-01-09-18-31~2 (resized).png
    15463551951113675210077031934749 (resized).jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I discovered wet shaving after 20+ years of shaving and hating it. It is now a pleasure. It is a huge difference in quality and comfort.

Yep, but doing it right is too time consuming for me which is why I leave it to a pro.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

Hey, Don. I found your avatar on that site.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

LOL.....Happy New Year, Scott!

#53 5 years ago

I ordered a starter kit myself to give it a shot.

I found Pinside to help me bring back to life an old EM several years ago. Today not only have I bought and sold 15 or so other pinball machines I’m now into Scotches, Bourbons, Popcorn, and a whole list of other things thanks to Pinside.

What the hell let’s try wet shaving.

#54 5 years ago
    Quoted from tuffano:

I found Pinside to help me bring back to life an old EM several years ago. Today not only have I bought and sold 15 or so other pinball machines I’m now into Scotches, Bourbons, Popcorn, and a whole list of other things thanks to Pinside.

Popcorn?

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from tuffano:

Awesome! Glad to see some of you guys going for it. It really makes. Difference.

I failed to mention using an “alum block”. Perfect thing to stop any nicks from bleeding.

Re: popcorn, we buy the Wabash oil and Flavacol salt and our popcorn tastes just like the old time movie popcorn..without adding butter. Haven’t worried about a specific popcorn yet. But if you have a “must try” reco...

#56 5 years ago

Yes

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/popcorn-machine-who-has-one

And now that retirement is getting closer I may even click on the Cannibas Club thread one day

1 week later
    #57 5 years ago

Beware you don't shave away your toxic masculinity. So happy to see schick logo on my razor this morning.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

Beware you don't shave away your toxic masculinity. So happy to see schick logo on my razor this morning.

Say what?

#60 5 years ago

I haven't used shaving cream in 30+ years.
    After seeing Predator I knew I never would.

#61 5 years ago

LOL that Pinside linked Predator to a machine.

#62 5 years ago

Go two-three days without shaving, then take a nice hot shower. Soak you face real good. Get a brand new razor/blade. Wash your hair and body, then lather up and shave in the steamy shower....face will feel like a baby’s bottom!

#63 5 years ago

I use an old Gillette razor & hair conditioner. The conditioner seems to lube the blades & I get a nice, close shave without pulling.

#64 5 years ago

I’m getting consistently closer shaves using my new soap and DE, but man I’m all over the place with my technique and needing multiple passes over trouble spots. Probably getting a little more irritation than I need to, learning razor angle, but not cutting myself at all.

Looking forward to when I can confidently shave in the shower with my DE without needing a mirror. The DE is a different animal.

#65 5 years ago

Here’s my current set up:

774525E3-F3F9-4956-889A-ED326BD37A52 (resized).jpeg774525E3-F3F9-4956-889A-ED326BD37A52 (resized).jpeg
    #66 5 years ago

DO ALL YOU GUYS SHOWER TOGETHER

2 weeks later
    #67 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Here’s my current set up:[quoted image]

Very nice! I am a fan of barrister and mann. If you haven't already, you HAVE to stop by Stirling soap and pick up a couple of items. Their prices are low, but the quality is ridiculously high.

2 months later
    #68 5 years ago

Received a starter set as a gift. Ordered a few different soaps including a couple Stirlings. It truly is a better and more enjoyable shave.

1 week later
    #69 5 years ago

Stirling is terrific. Have bought a bunch of their stuff. Mostly samples, but will buy full products when gone.

1 week later
    #71 4 years ago

There is a resurgence of places that do these specialty shaves. Mainly men's grooming parlors and barbershops.

If you really want to, you can easily re-create those shaves on your own, however.

9 months later
    #72 4 years ago

I have to believe a lot of you are doing this, digging it and have a lot to share. I’m shocked there isn’t already a forum. I just started, and I can already see the parallels to other addictive things, like pinball, booze, beers, and fun hobbies.
    I’m embarrassed at how many videos I’ve already watched on how to properly lather a soap versus a cream, and the merits of badger versus boar versus synthetic brushes. Of course the double edged safety razor deserves a topic of its own.
    I’m 54 (as of last week) had never got a decent, close, smooth shave in my life until I started using the brush and proper cream/soaps a few months ago. I’d been using a badger brush with some Jack Black cream and some (really) old Colgate puck soap for the last few months (with my Gillette multi-blade razors) before going all in on the DE safety razor and quality tallow soap for XMas.
    So here’s my current situation: I’ve now shaved twice with my Merkur 34C and the blade it came with. I have 120 blades of different brands and types at the ready when needed. I received Barrister and Mann shave soap (Dickens) and a sampler of Chiseled Face soaps for Christmas, and I’ve now shaved 3 times with the safety razor (twice with the CF “‘Bay rum” soap and once with Dickens). The scent of these soaps is to freaking die for.
    I can see is being a very enjoyable thing for the rest of my life. I’ve never had a closer shave or more enjoyment shaving. I look like one of those fresh, clean cut dudes with a baby face now, instead of a shadow right after I finish shaving!

Any new razors, soaps, etc?

#73 4 years ago

I use Schick Injector razors instead of DE, I have 6 including the Adjustable. Little while back purchased a case of blades from a Lab Supply as well a closeout of packaged injector blades from CVS, now set for life.
    Seems there is a huge Market in India for injectors, as well as the Medical Industry. Schick wants to get rid of it, trying to develop a new demand for their over priced stuff, but the Indian market is resistant.

#74 4 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

I use Schick Injector razors instead of DE, I have 6 including the Adjustable. Little while back purchased a case of blades from a Lab Supply as well a closeout of packaged injector blades from CVS, now set for life.
    Seems there is a huge Market in India for injectors, as well as the Medical Industry. Schick wants to get rid of it, trying to develop a new demand for their over priced stuff, but the Indian market is resistant.

The amount of money saved using razor blades is insane.

9 months later
    #75 3 years ago

So I’m two years in to this now. The samples are finally running out and I have a good sense of what I like and what works for me. I think you can always get a good shave with practically any gear if you’re careful with your technique, but some products stand out.

Of the soaps I’ve tried, Barrister & Mann, WSP (Formula T) and Grooming Dept. offer the whole package: comfort, glide, slickness and post face feel. And through the holidays, B&M just offer up some amazing seasonal products. Their scents are original and usually fantastic.

There are aLOT of good and compelling after shaves out there, and I haven’t tried most (!), but Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) is pretty amazing. They have a bigger selection of fragrances than anyone and a lot of care goes into making a fantastic aftershave. Your face feels spectacular using them. I was a huge fan of Paco Rabanne in the 80’s and PAA’s dupe takes me back! Al Fin is another PAA knock out. Chiseled Face after shave remains a winner - Summer Storm and Sherlock rock! Such interesting scents and a terrific dose of menthol. Clubman products offer the best bang for the buck. So many choices, good smells, good quality! B&M’s stuff is great. Stirling has a great selection of scents and the price is right, but the performance is just OK.

The best thing about two years of experience is the techniques I’ve learned. In the beginning I couldn’t make a proper lather to save my life and it took forever. Now I can whip up a perfect lather in about 20 seconds. Summer of 2019 I found my wife’s grandpa’s old Gillette Superspeed razor (1954!) at the lake cottage and cut my face to ribbons trying to use it. I was going to give it away, but this past summer, I pulled it off the shelf and got a near perfect shave out of it. Been using it ever since. Technique is everything.

I’ve learned I like a more aggressive razor and can handle a sharp blade, although milder blades are ok. I absolutely require a sharp blade with a mild razor.

The reward is amazingly close shaves, that leave for your face gleaming. I think I look younger with a close shave, and definitely better. The over-priced cartridges never worked well for me. I used them over 30 years and got crappy shaves the whole time. The story behind these is fascinating too. Once the patents expired on their DE razor designs, Gillette knew they needed a new money maker, so they invented the multi-blade razor and convinced everyone they were “new and improved”. Irony is they’re worse and more expensive. Kinda like some of the latest pinball machines nowadays!

So, any other new reports out there, from Pinside shavings dens?

#76 3 years ago

So I wake up and see this thread, going uh oh, who is in trouble for this on pinside!
    Boy did I guess wrong!!

shave.gifshave.gif
    #77 3 years ago

This works for women too. Cheaper and smoother shaves. It’s a great combo.

#78 3 years ago

That style looks to be too tricky to shave my balls. I'll stick to the my cheap-assed, second-rate razors. I think I spend about 20 bucks a year for triple blade razors that are smooth as hell. Scrotum has been cut-free too!

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

That style looks to be too tricky to shave my balls. I'll stick to the my cheap-assed, second-rate razors. I think I spend about 20 bucks a year for triple blade razors that are smooth as hell. Scrotum has been cut-free too!

lol! Point taken. I wouldn’t go near my balls with a DE razor! Although it would be great practice for skin stretching.

Not sure how often you shave, but $20 per year sounds very cheap for cartridges. How many shaves you getting out of one cartridge?

For comparison, I got a razor blade sampler pack 2 years ago. Cost under $20 bucks on Amazon. Lots of blades. Have no idea how many brands etc. just lots of 5 pack and 10 pack “tucks” of razor blades. I pretty much shave every day now, even in quarantine, because now shaving is such a pleasure. I’m still working through that sample pack of blades two years later.

#80 3 years ago

lol! Point taken. I wouldn’t go near my balls with a DE razor! Although it would be great practice for skin stretching.
    Not sure how often you shave, but $20 per year sounds very cheap for cartridges. How many shaves you getting out of one cartridge?
    For comparison, I got a razor blade sampler pack 2 years ago. Cost under $20 bucks on Amazon. Lots of blades. Have no idea how many brands etc. just lots of 5 pack and 10 pack “tucks” of razor blades. I pretty much shave every day now, even in quarantine, because now shaving is such a pleasure. I’m still working through that sample pack of blades two years later.

Hey, if it's cheap, you may have my interest lol.

A razor usually lasts me two months or more. I shave in the shower and use them till it feels like they are pulling instead of cutting. I do grow beards on and off when I don't feel like shaving. Then I just clean up the neck.

That said, my Barber does hot towel, and my beard's a Covid mess. I'll hit her up (yep, a her) and see if I like it and report back. New experience for me.

#81 3 years ago

Best tip I ever got for shaving is to use a crystal salt stone after the shave. I went to an old school barber to have a shave many years ago for fun and this is what he used. I've been doing it ever since. I highly recommend it, it totally prevents any rash or reaction you might get after you shave. There's no need to use anything else (aftershave, lotions, etc.)

After you shave, spash your face with cold water and then rub the stone all over your face and neck, then splash with cold water again and towel dry. Try it, you'll never go back.

Something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Deodorant-Stones-America-Thai-Crystal/dp/B001E0YN1W/ref=pd_lpo_194_t_2/135-7997778-0605307

#82 3 years ago

I shave every other day with Foamy and a new Sensor Excel blade each week.
    And no scents or fragrances.

I’ve got pretty good skin and pre Covid would see my wife’s dermatologist every 3-4 months for some dermabrasion when necessary. Since Covid, no more shaves with the barber which I really miss.

#83 3 years ago

Jesus... how do people over complicate this?

Gillette Mach 3 in the shower with a no fog mirror and a decent shave gel is really all you need.

You can shave anything you want with one and I have rarely if ever gotten cut over the years and if I did it was for not paying attention.

There is a reason the Mach 3 has been around forever... they keep trying to make it "better" but they cant.

Its cheap and it works.

#84 3 years ago

Badgerandblade.com This forum is like the pinside of shaving. There is a wealth of information on this site from all types of razor blades, brushes, soaps and creams.

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Best tip I ever got for shaving is to use a crystal salt stone after the shave. I went to an old school barber to have a shave many years ago for fun and this is what he used. I've been doing it ever since. I highly recommend it, it totally prevents any rash or reaction you might get after you shave. There's no need to use anything else (aftershave, lotions, etc.)
    After you shave, spash your face with cold water and then rub the stone all over your face and neck, then splash with cold water again and towel dry. Try it, you'll never go back.
    Something like this:
    amazon.com link »

That’s basically an alum block, and I use one. It heals as well as gives you feedback on how well your shave went. No sting, good technique, sting, your angle was wrong.

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Jesus... how do people over complicate this?
    Gillette Mach 3 in the shower with a no fog mirror and a decent shave gel is really all you need.
    You can shave anything you want with one and I have rarely if ever gotten cut over the years and if I did it was for not paying attention.
    There is a reason the Mach 3 has been around forever... they keep trying to make it "better" but they cant.
    Its cheap and it works.

Yeah, but you see, it hasn’t been around forever. Straight razors have, and single blade razors for a century. And they were just fine with one blade. Better even. Then “they” over thought it with 3, and then 5, and where dies it stop?

And it’s almost impossible to cut yourself with a multi blade razor. Because the way they’re designed is to first pull the hair up out of your skin, and then lop it off with another blade that probably barely touches your face. This can lead to ingrown hairs and razor bumps for many shavers, and there’s a whole industry just to deal with THAT problem, which could also be eliminated with single blade old school shaving.

Shaving in a hot shower is great for your face, but using goo out of a can that does little to prepare your face (for scraping a razor blade against it) isn’t how I roll now. I want to enjoy the smells of a fine shave soap (or cream) using a nice brush to whip it up into a face loving lather that actually protects and nourishes your face while you attack it with a razor. The brush also exfoliates your face and invigorates you’re whiskers, helping them stand to attention, ready to be mown down by seriously sharp steel.

We’re not over complicating anything. We’re savoring a process that was dumbed down so much over the years as to become a chore instead of something to look forward to. It’s also cheaper this way. You can spend a lot - and you will because it’s so enjoyable - but you don’t have to. Blades average about a dime a piece. A puck of shave soap will last you all year. A perfectly good razor can be had for $5. Or $15. Or $30. Or $300. Your choice.

#86 3 years ago

That’s basically an alum block, and I use one. It heals as well as gives you feedback on how well your shave went. No sting, good technique, sting, your angle was wrong.

Yeah, but you see, it hasn’t been around forever. Straight razors have, and single blade razors for a century. And they were just fine with one blade. Better even. Then “they” over thought it with 3, and then 5, and where dies it stop?
    And it’s almost impossible to cut yourself with a multi blade razor. Because the way they’re designed is to first pull the hair up out of your skin, and then lop it off with another blade that probably barely touches your face. This can lead to ingrown hairs and razor bumps for many shavers, and there’s a whole industry just to deal with THAT problem, which could also be eliminated with single blade old school shaving.
    Shaving in a hot shower is great for your face, but using goo out of a can that does little to prepare your face (for scraping a razor blade against it) isn’t how I roll now. I want to enjoy the smells of a fine shave soap (or cream) using a nice brush to whip it up into a face loving lather that actually protects and nourishes your face while you attack it with a razor. The brush also exfoliates your face and invigorates you’re whiskers, helping them stand to attention, ready to be mown down by seriously sharp steel.
    We’re not over complicating anything. We’re savoring a process that was dumbed down so much over the years as to become a chore instead of something to look forward to. It’s also cheaper this way. You can spend a lot - and you will because it’s so enjoyable - but you don’t have to. Blades average about a dime a piece. A puck of shave soap will last you all year. A perfectly good razor can be had for $5. Or $15. Or $30. Or $300. Your choice.

You should post a "shave of the day" pic.

I will post one soon as well.

#87 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

You should post a "shave of the day" pic.
    I will post one soon as well.

Good call! I’ll post this now. I’ve got my eye on this. The rose gold gets me. Good stocking stuffer!

49C41F3C-D42C-415D-82D8-F838D1572743 (resized).jpeg49C41F3C-D42C-415D-82D8-F838D1572743 (resized).jpeg
    5 months later
    #89 2 years ago

My modest current setup......

20210508_130251 (resized).jpg20210508_130251 (resized).jpg20210508_130722 (resized).jpg20210508_130722 (resized).jpg
    #90 2 years ago

Nice! One of these days, when I’ve worn down my soap supply, I need to try the fat. I dig that copper Captain’s Choice bowl. I had a lovely chile pepper red ceramic one that I dropped and broke. Which is ok, because all I do is face lather now anyways.

I just started using Feather blades and I love them. I actually think I prefer them in my Merkur 34C as opposed to my Muhle R41. Smoother shave. Although I’ll definitely try them in the Muhle again one of these days.

I have a tuck of Sharks, but haven’t noticed anything special there.

My latest addiction is buying EdT’s. So many great fragrances out there! It’s fun, and much cheaper than pinball. I bought the classic Halston Z-14 the other day, and it’s pretty cool. Starts out like lemon pledge. Literally like furniture polish. But when that dries down you get this cigar ashe like tobacco...but the lemon never goes away completely. It’s so damn different than modern frags, and definitely a macho artifact from the 1970’s.

#91 2 years ago

I’ve been using King C safety by Gillette. It really makes a big difference. I used to get severe razor burn, until my buddy told me about it.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #92 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I’ve been using King C safety by Gillette. It really makes a big difference. I used to get severe razor burn, until my buddy told me about it.
    [quoted image]

Excellent. Yup, my shaving experience changed over night. If cartridges work for people, that’s great, but if anyone feels they’re getting a mediocre shave in any perspective, I’d bet $ that a DE razor will improve things.

#93 2 years ago

That and understanding how to make a moist, cushiony lather that protects the face and allows the razor blade to glide as opposed to scrape the skin.

#94 2 years ago

I really can't believe this nonsense!!! Didn't your Daddy teach any of you to shave correctly?The stuff I'm reading seems like you all are stuck in the 19th century!

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I really can't believe this nonsense!!! Didn't your Daddy teach any of you to shave correctly?The stuff I'm reading seems like you all are stuck in the 19th century!

Actually my dad taught me to shave with a safety razor. I changed to the disposable razors on my own. Stupid decision on my part!

#96 2 years ago

No less than 14 blades for this face.

mach razor (resized).jpgmach razor (resized).jpg
    #97 2 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

No less than 14 blades for this face.
    [quoted image]

Overkill dude. You only need one.

#98 2 years ago

Overkill dude. You only need one.

It is fake. It is from an SNL fake commercial back in the late 90s. I went to the SNL Experience in Chicago and I took pictures of their props. They had the Nerf Crotch Missile, Uncle Jemima's Mash Liquor, and Colon Blow cereal.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

It is fake. It is from an SNL fake commercial back in the late 90s. I went to the SNL Experience in Chicago and I took pictures of their props. They had the Nerf Crotch Missile, Uncle Jemima's Mash Liquor, and Colon Blow cereal.

Yeah, I figured , I’ve seen other funny pics like that before.

#100 2 years ago

I've been using a newer brand. 403 Soap Co. has a couple nice products. The owner is really responsive on Facebook and my order came quick.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wet-shaving/page/2?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.