2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

49C41F3C-D42C-415D-82D8-F838D1572743 (resized).jpeg
    shave.gif
    774525E3-F3F9-4956-889A-ED326BD37A52 (resized).jpeg
    20190101_190409 (resized).jpg
    don (resized).jpg
    Maggard-Razors-Basic-Wet-Shaving-Kit-200x200 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190101_133919 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0770 (resized).jpg
    20190101_091138 (resized).jpg
    20190101_091102~2 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2019-01-01-09-18-31~2 (resized).png
    15463551951113675210077031934749 (resized).jpg
    A1AE76C1-825B-493F-A0ED-7379D3E84E29 (resized).jpeg
    F5933D73-0D3B-4D35-8917-13E5E7773A69 (resized).jpeg
    m3 (resized).jpg
    44A17911-65EC-49CE-81A8-D17FD15984A7 (resized).jpeg

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I have to believe a lot of you are doing this, digging it and have a lot to share. I’m shocked there isn’t already a forum. I just started, and I can already see the parallels to other addictive things, like pinball, booze, beers, and fun hobbies.

I’m embarrassed at how many videos I’ve already watched on how to properly lather a soap versus a cream, and the merits of badger versus boar versus synthetic brushes. Of course the double edged safety razor deserves a topic of its own.

I’m 54 (as of last week) had never got a decent, close, smooth shave in my life until I started using the brush and proper cream/soaps a few months ago. I’d been using a badger brush with some Jack Black cream and some (really) old Colgate puck soap for the last few months (with my Gillette multi-blade razors) before going all in on the DE safety razor and quality tallow soap for XMas.

So here’s my current situation: I’ve now shaved twice with my Merkur 34C and the blade it came with. I have 120 blades of different brands and types at the ready when needed. I received Barrister and Mann shave soap (Dickens) and a sampler of Chiseled Face soaps for Christmas, and I’ve now shaved 3 times with the safety razor (twice with the CF “‘Bay rum” soap and once with Dickens). The scent of these soaps is to freaking die for.

I can see is being a very enjoyable thing for the rest of my life. I’ve never had a closer shave or more enjoyment shaving. I look like one of those fresh, clean cut dudes with a baby face now, instead of a shadow right after I finish shaving!

#2 2 years ago

I've always wanted to experience a hot towel/straight razor shave but don't have the facilities anywhere near me that offers it.

Here at home life has not slowed down enough to get into all the fancy stuff. . . exotic for me is a razor that is not disposable and has more than two blades!

#3 2 years ago

I go to my barber every morning around 10AM for a shave and trim. If I can’t make the barber, it’s Gillette Sensor Excel and Foamy shave cream for me.

I don’t like any fragrances or colognes, unscented for me.

#4 2 years ago

Gotta be kidding. Happy new years!

#5 2 years ago

Shaving in the shower for me. Opens the pores and is relaxing. I love Taylor of Old Bond Street’s shaving cream (lavender is my go to) and a nice badger brush.

amazon.com link »

#6 2 years ago

Shave in the shower. Wash hair and body while letting steam open the pores and soften the bristles. Shave by feel. No need for a mirror. It’s the only way to shave imo.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Shave by feel. No need for a mirror. It’s the only way to shave imo.

You missed a bit
    Sensor excel after shower for me
    Great thread

#8 2 years ago

Shave? Who shaves?

Signed the bearded wonder....

Although a straight edge shave always fascinated me.

#9 2 years ago

I too went on the same overboard research quest when I switched a few years ago to a brush and soap and single blade safety razor. I tried the variety pack of razors and ended up liking Derby blades the best. There were some that I tried that were sharper, but these just seem to fit my razor and the way I shave well. I do like to try different soaps out. Right now I'm finishing up a 4 pack of Col. Conk but of the ones I've tried I think I like Proraso the best.

#10 2 years ago

The straight razor was my Great Grandfathers 1904 H. Boker. I don’t use that because there is a small crack on the cutting edge and also the last time I tried using a straight razor I nicked my upper lip and it bled for a half hour.

Merkur. 1962 Gillette 1963 Gillette. I use the 1962 the most with straight Noxema for shaving cream.

44A17911-65EC-49CE-81A8-D17FD15984A7 (resized).jpegAABB90CE-DE51-4EE2-B6A8-EA353E53F8FE (resized).jpeg
    #11 2 years ago

This is the Go

Have to get the German blades not the imitation shit

My babe says I smell and feel great !

I like that
    m3 (resized).jpg

#12 2 years ago

Can this also be for the ladies?? Asking for a friend...

F5933D73-0D3B-4D35-8917-13E5E7773A69 (resized).jpeg
    #13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

The day my wife is growing facial hair is the day she hits the street.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

It can be. But not on the face.....

#15 2 years ago

And for some on here you can get one of these and shave your back

A1AE76C1-825B-493F-A0ED-7379D3E84E29 (resized).jpeg
    #16 2 years ago

I dont shave often (every two weeks or so), but I use a straight razor (disposable blade) and then finish off with a safety razor for difficult places. I cant remember the last time I've used shaving cream. Shaving soap and a badger brush seems to work nice.

It's fun, but I've definitely nicked myself a few times.

#17 2 years ago

Shave in the shower. Wash hair and body while letting steam open the pores and soften the bristles. Shave by feel. No need for a mirror. It’s the only way to shave imo.

Agree! Shaved in the shower most of my life.

#18 2 years ago

Jeezus things are getting complicated these days! When did shaving become like rebuilding a carburator? (or this is a joke right?).

It used to be I’d just go buy some yogurt when I went for groceries. These days I just stand like an idiot in front of the mile-long yogurt section for a few minutes, then walk away empty handed. Times they are changing.

Happy new year everyone! I’m getting back to basics in 2019

Just having fun, if shaving is your thing - it’s all good

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

It used to be I’d just go buy some yogurt when I went for groceries. These days I just stand like an idiot in front of the mile-long yogurt section for a few minutes, then walk away empty handed. Times they are changing.
    Happy new year everyone! I’m getting back to basics in 2019
    Just having fun, if shaving is your thing - it’s all good

You shave with yogurt? Interesting. I may have to give that a try.

#20 2 years ago

The straight edge shaves aren’t like they used to be. They have a guard that goes on the strait edge they are supposed to use now so they don’t kill you. I still ended up having a mole removed this way tho.... yea. I don’t recommend having other people shave for you.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

The straight edge shaves aren’t like they used to be. They have a guard that goes on the strait edge they are supposed to use now so they don’t kill you. I still ended up having a mole removed this way tho.... yea. I don’t recommend having other people shave for you.

Shaving and improving. That mole was killing me Bro.

#22 2 years ago

I shave in the shower and use hair straightening conditioner as a shave creme. When I would use regular shave cremes I would always get ingrown hairs. Never been interested in straight razors for shaving.

#23 2 years ago

I tried shaving soap and a brush 3 years ago. Liked the feel of the soap and will never go back to shaving creme in a can.

I got tired of Gillette’s bend over blade prices and and tried Dorco (the company that supplies Dollar Shave Club).

Dorco blades are OK but I stumbled onto a pack of Bic disposables at a garage sale.

The Bic two-blade disposables give me a great shave and last a long time. The price is right.

A cake of soap lasts forever.

The price of blades was turning shaving into an installment plan.

Using cake soap and the Bic’s I’m now getting good shaves for about $10.00 per year.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Shaving in the shower for me. Opens the pores and is relaxing. I love Taylor of Old Bond Street’s shaving cream (lavender is my go to) and a nice badger brush.
    amazon.com link »

I've always shaved my head in the shower no mirror needed. This morning after reading this thread I thought I'd try shaving my face in the shower and no shit........what an f'n difference. Talk about baby smooth. Only issue I definatly gotta get a mirror for the shower now cuz even though im good enough to do the head blind I need a mirror for the face. Just when I thought I was mister know it all someone comes along and drops a bombshell of knowledge on me. Kudos to you.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I have to believe a lot of you are doing this, digging it and have a lot to share. I’m shocked there isn’t already a forum. I just started, and I can already see the parallels to other addictive things, like pinball, booze, beers, and fun hobbies.
    I’m embarrassed at how many videos I’ve already watched on how to properly lather a soap versus a cream, and the merits of badger versus boar versus synthetic brushes. Of course the double edged safety razor deserves a topic of its own.
    I’m 54 (as of last week) had never got a decent, close, smooth shave in my life until I started using the brush and proper cream/soaps a few months ago. I’d been using a badger brush with some Jack Black cream and some (really) old Colgate puck soap for the last few months (with my Gillette multi-blade razors) before going all in on the DE safety razor and quality tallow soap for XMas.
    So here’s my current situation: I’ve now shaved twice with my Merkur 34C and the blade it came with. I have 120 blades of different brands and types at the ready when needed. I received Barrister and Mann shave soap (Dickens) and a sampler of Chiseled Face soaps for Christmas, and I’ve now shaved 3 times with the safety razor (twice with the CF “‘Bay rum” soap and once with Dickens). The scent of these soaps is to freaking die for.
    I can see is being a very enjoyable thing for the rest of my life. I’ve never had a closer shave or more enjoyment shaving. I look like one of those fresh, clean cut dudes with a baby face now, instead of a shadow right after I finish shaving!

I recommend joining a wet shaving forum. My favorite is "The Shave Den." You can look me up if you like, my handle is the same on there.

Wet shaving can be a rabbit hole, like so many other hobbies, but it is all about finding out what you like and enjoying the experience along the way.

I have a ton of gear, so if you are ever looking for advice (or something to BS or T), then let me know.

Here are my recommendations of items to check out:

DE razors: Gillette fatboy and gillette tech, or for modern razors look up "Timeless razors." Check out the delta echo razor website for nice twists on classic razors.

Straight razors: Wade and Butcher or wostenholm. For modern razors, check out hart steel, thiers-issard, or dovo. There are some incredibly interesting craft razor makers out there too...mike martinez being my favorite.

Soaps and aftershaves: artisans are usually my favorites. Start with stirling soap company along with barrister and mann (i hope you like dickens already), and phoenix artisan accoutrements. For bigger companies, taylor of old bond street and Truefitt and Hill are "go-to's"...specifically jermyn street from tobs and 1805 from T&H.

Brush: I think wolf whiskers are simply the best. A LOT of people agree with me. I prefer a synthetic brush, but sometimes badger is nice too. Stirling soaps offer incredible brushes for a budget price as well.

Blades: there are just so many to choose from, but my favorites are gillette silver blues. They are sharp, smooth, and inexpensive compared to others of similar quality.

I cant put pics in this post, but i will send some in a couple of minutes in another one.

#26 2 years ago

Been shaving with these since the dawn o f time. 8pack for $9.99 or look for the bonus pack 10 for 10. 3 blades and a head that flexes to the curvature of your face and head.

15463551951113675210077031934749 (resized).jpg
    #27 2 years ago

Here are some pics:

20190101_091102~2 (resized).jpg20190101_091138 (resized).jpgScreenshot_2019-01-01-09-18-31~2 (resized).png
    #28 2 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I've always shaved my head in the shower no mirror needed. This morning after reading this thread I thought I'd try shaving my face in the shower and no shit........what an f'n difference. Talk about baby smooth. Only issue I definatly gotta get a mirror for the shower now cuz even though im good enough to do the head blind I need a mirror for the face. Just when I thought I was mister know it all someone comes along and drops a bombshell of knowledge on me. Kudos to you.

You are too kind. Recommend getting a shower mirror that hangs on a hook as opposed to a suction cup. That way, you can warm it up under the shower to get rid of the fog and then hang it back up as opposed to dicking around with a suction cup. I have it hanging up near my shower to make it nice and easy. I got mine for like 12 bucks from Amazon.

IMG_0770 (resized).jpg
    #29 2 years ago

Me too. Only thing I'll add is I use bar soap for lather.

Razor brand and soap brand don't seem to matter for me either.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

You are too kind. Recommend getting a shower mirror that hangs on a hook as opposed to a suction cup. That way, you can warm it up under the shower to get rid of the fog and then hang it back up as opposed to dicking around with a suction cup. I have it hanging up near my shower to make it nice and easy. I got mine for like 12 bucks from Amazon.[quoted image]

Great looking bathroom and shower. You have enough space in there to put a pinball too.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from lb1:

Great looking bathroom and shower. You have enough space in there to put a pinball too.

Thanks! Part of a remodel that we are doing on the house that we bought. Due to having to extend the garage to get our vehicles in, the bathroom (which is over the garage) wound up just under 350 sq ft.

#32 2 years ago

After coughing up over $20 again for blades a few years ago, I decided to try wet shaving. Dad has done it all his life, I remember barely being tall enough to see over the bathroom vanity while he mixed up his shaving cream with the brush. I bought sample packs of blades and creams. I settled on Feather blades (damn sharp) and rotate soaps/creams. Penhaligon is a nice, distinguished scent. Taylor of Old Bond Street has many great creams, Sandalwood is one of my favorite. We are lucky enough to live a short drive from Maggard Razors in Adrian, MI. Walking in the door and being surrounded by nothing but wet shaving supplies is quite a treat. And if you have time, take a seat and get yourself a hot towel straight razor shave from a pro. They even rebuild/refurbish straight razors on site.

http://www.maggardrazors.com

IMG_20190101_133919 (resized).jpg
    #33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

I too went on the same overboard research quest when I switched a few years ago to a brush and soap and single blade safety razor. I tried the variety pack of razors and ended up liking Derby blades the best. There were some that I tried that were sharper, but these just seem to fit my razor and the way I shave well. I do like to try different soaps out. Right now I'm finishing up a 4 pack of Col. Conk but of the ones I've tried I think I like Proraso the best.

I have the Proraso pre-shave cream and a couple of their after shave balms. I haven’t tried their soaps or creams. I don’t like their eucalyptus scent too much.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

After coughing up over $20 again for blades a few years ago, I decided to try wet shaving. Dad has done it all his life, I remember barely being tall enough to see over the bathroom vanity while he mixed up his shaving cream with the brush. I bought sample packs of blades and creams. I settled on Feather blades (damn sharp) and rotate soaps/creams. Penhaligon is a nice, distinguished scent. Taylor of Old Bond Street has many great creams, Sandalwood is one of my favorite. We are lucky enough to live a short drive from Maggard Razors in Adrian, MI. Walking in the door and being surrounded by nothing but wet shaving supplies is quite a treat. And if you have time, take a seat and get yourself a hot towel straight razor shave from a pro. They even rebuild/refurbish straight razors on site.
    [quoted image]

I

Check out some pics of the store...pretty impressive.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

[quoted image]

What, pray tell, makes a shaving brush worth the $200.00 plus selling price ?

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

[quoted image]

I asked for ToBS Coconut shave cream for Christmas but got sinething different. Buying different soaps will be expensive, but it’s fun! The aromas of these things are amaze-balls.

All other things being equal, wet shaving is way cheaper than the multi-cartridge and can of Edge approach.

Shaving in shower is definitely better for the face. I’ve been wet shaving in front of the mirror as I learn the ways of the safety razor. Once I have that down, it’s back to the shower.

#38 2 years ago

Had credit card number stolen a few months back and the thieves inexplicably signed me up for dollar shave club! Were they hinting?!

Anyways I called them about the stuff I received and they said keep em. So I used some on my neck (I maintain whiskers) and they seemed better than the store stuff I used to buy.

If we get a pinside beard forum -- members only of course -- let's share some beard oil/balm recipes

#39 2 years ago

You shave with yogurt? Interesting. I may have to give that a try.

Hah, yes but only non-GMO, gluten-free, organic, all-natural, sugar-free, real vanilla bean, gelatine-free, greek style with at least 11.5% fat will do! I tried the 10% once and felt a bit chaffed afterwards.

#40 2 years ago

Novus 2 and a sharpened EOS switch works well. just lather well.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I have the Proraso pre-shave cream and a couple of their after shave balms. I haven’t tried their soaps or creams. I don’t like their eucalyptus scent too much.

There are certainly better soaps and creams to be had, but as far as proraso goes, their white line is generally considered the best.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What, pray tell, makes a shaving brush worth the $200.00 plus selling price ?

What makes a pinball machine worth $10,000??

Ultimately, It is all supply and demand. To be more specific, however, it comes to quality of the handle and brush, how long it will last you, and the artistry of it. Wolf whiskers, for example, are amongst the most beautiful brushes out there, the handles should last a lifetime (or more, actually), and the quality is very high...making it a very pleasurable experience.

Im not sure what specific brush you are referring too, but there are some that cost far more and some that are much cheaper.

There are great brushes that I have bought for 20 bucks. I stated it in a lost above, but i feel the best budget brushes are from stirling soaps (20-40 bucks). Wolf whiskers makes my favorites overall (80-150 bucks). You can pay well over 1,000 for some brushes...but i feel you are just paying for a name at that point.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

Me too. Only thing I'll add is I use bar soap for lather.
    Razor brand and soap brand don't seem to matter for me either.

I may try that. I’ve bounced back and forth between Barbasol and Gillette Foamy and Gel. Can’t seem to dial in that piece of the shave lately.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Hey, Don. I found your avatar on that site.

don (resized).jpgMaggard-Razors-Basic-Wet-Shaving-Kit-200x200 (resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago

I still have mine but don't use it. I just found it took too much time and for me it wasn't that enjoyable so I stopped. Also, pores do not "open"

Quoted from pinzrfun:

[quoted image]

Mine was very similar to yours with nice chrome top. One morning I was kind of tired and the top had smudges on it so i just ran my thumb down the top side to clean it and just sliced my thumb open all the way Jesus that was painful

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I still have mine but don't use it. I just found it took too much time and for me it wasn't that enjoyable so I stopped. Also, pores do not "open"

Mine was very similar to yours with nice chrome top. One morning I was kind of tired and the top had smudges on it so i just ran my thumb down the top side to clean it and just sliced my thumb open all the way Jesus that was painful

Painful? Like my side to side shaving technique? Once face is covered in scars, hair doesn’t grow back.

Besides, chicks dig scars.

#47 2 years ago

I've been wet shaving for the last 5 or so years. It's a ritual that helps me start my day.

20190101_190409 (resized).jpg
    #48 2 years ago

Interesting. Based on this discussion, I decided to pick up a Gentleman Jon starter kit. The reviews seemed decent for a starter set, and I can always upgrade down the road if I stick with it.

I have to shave every day, so anything that might make it more enjoyable is welcome.

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Interesting. Based on this discussion, I decided to pick up a Gentleman Jon starter kit. The reviews seemed decent for a starter set, and I can always upgrade down the road if I stick with it.
    I have to shave every day, so anything that might make it more enjoyable is welcome.

I’d be shocked if you enjoy it, but would like to hear your assessment after 30 days.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I’d be shocked if you enjoy it, but would like to hear your assessment after 30 days.

I discovered wet shaving after 20+ years of shaving and hating it. It is now a pleasure. It is a huge difference in quality and comfort.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 16.00
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 339.00
    $ 234.99
    $ 10.95
    $ 17.50
    Hardware
    Pinball Haus
    $ 98.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 100.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside