(Topic ID: 22128)

Were Comet playfields Originally Fluorescent Paint?

By vid1900

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

It looks like after I get done with all these Space Shuttles it's on to a bunch of Comets.

It seems to me that when they were brand new, they were screened with fluorescent colors? They were a cash cow and we put a lot of them out there, but every one I see now, the playfield is in just terrible shape. Faded, planked and the un Mylared areas are just chalk.

I think I'm just going to re screen the playfields rather than a conventional restore.

Does anyone remember, or have an actual un faded playfield to reference?

11 months later
#4 10 years ago

I got sent on the road by my employer, so I've not made much progress.

The artwork, I've been told, has been completed.

A set of screens is burned (one for each color) and the playfield is re-manufactured. I found a shop with a monster 38x52" press that screens plywood signs. It has laser registration, so the playfields will actually be better printed than the slop from 30 years ago.

I figure that with a real clear coat and buff out (something the orig never had) they will run ~$500, or clearcoat them yourself for $350.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

How do we go about getting one done?

Once I'm back living at home, and I approve the test panels, there will be some kind of announcement .

I won't keep it a secret, I promise.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Vid I had a Comet in my collection until a couple months ago with a nice original playfield, and I use black lights in my gameroom. I do not remember it having UV reactive paint. (It sat next to my EATPM which does have UV reactive paint).

I tested 2 of them with a black light and they seemed just very slightly reactive.

I wondered if they simply had faded.

It might be fun to screen them with UV inks and then wire black light strips to the playfield flash relay. When the playfield goes black, the UV comes on.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

It would not be that hard to make the 'GI OFF' side of the relay turn on a UV strip.

Exactly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/were-comet-playfields-originally-fluorescent-paint?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.