(Topic ID: 59358)

We're all looking for an new original theme pin, so what's your idea?

By JoeinNJ

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
greasy-bacon-590-1282238110.jpg
th-12.jpeg
9q7kmPM.jpg
th-1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
P1010529.JPG
image.jpg
Spawn.jpg
dragon.jpg
image.jpg
lunker.jpg
lunker3.jpg
lunker-full.jpg
Lunker_(Baron_2012).png
2008-11-13-heavy_metal-533x777.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

And, you're right, obviously we ALL aren't clamoring for originality. It took, what, a day to sell all the Metalllica LE's? A band pin released right after..... Another band pin....

Uh, I think you are missing a pin (or two) in there somewhere.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Ok, I exaggerated a bit.... but here's the last 3 years of THEME variety from Stern
Comic/Superhero: IronMan
Movie: Avatar
Movie: tron
Band: Stones
Movie: xformers
Band: ACDC
Comic/Superhero: Avengers
Comic/Superhero: Xmen
Band: Metallica
Not sure if those are in perfect order, but its pretty close- and that's 3 of the last 6 band themes... with the rest showing little to no theme creativity as well.

You have X-men and Avengers flipped, but other than that I think you got it right.

As far as no theme creativity, what do you want? The facts are: 1. we have got *much* better themes from Stern in the last couple of years (go check the themes starting before Avatar...other than IM most of them were pretty bad), and 2. Stern is only going to do licensed themes.

I know a lot of people bash Stern for releasing so many music pins, but guess what? I actually like them in general, assuming it's a band I like. TRS isn't a great playing pin, but it's still fun to hear the music while playing. AC/DC is great, and so is MET.

Seems like there is a ton of demand for an Iron Maiden pin too, and I bet we get it.

So don't hold your breath if you think Stern is going to stop making music pins any time soon.

#141 10 years ago

Good lord. Despite repeated posts reminding people of what an "original unlicensed theme" means, what do we keep getting? Ideas for licensed themes!

1 week later
#186 10 years ago
Quoted from Spraynard:

I was curious and decided to count up the number of original vs. licensed suggestions in this thread. I tried not to count suggestions twice, and "upvotes" of suggestions were not counted. I will say that there was some ambiguity here and there (e.g., travel the country vs. travel the world, funfair vs. amusement park, etc.). Whatever. I wasn't very detailed about it, so take this count with a grain of salt.
Original Theme suggestions: 65
Licensed Theme suggestions: 42
Sequel of an original suggestions: 3
Kind of interesting results. The fact that ~40% of all suggestions in a thread asking for original themes were actually licensed is very telling. As some one else mentioned, maybe the demand for original themes isn't as high as we think it is.

Exactly.

If Stern was even having the slightest thoughts of doing an unlicensed/original themed pin, reading this thread would pretty much confirm that they are right to just keep doing the licensed themes!

#193 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

That's kind of twisted logic. . Why not start a poll asking if you would like to see an original theme, yes or no.

The whole point is that even if people said "yes" to the poll (and they would), many of them don't even know what that means...as shown by this very thread.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/were-all-looking-for-an-new-original-theme-pin-so-whats-your-idea?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.