(Topic ID: 59358)

We're all looking for an new original theme pin, so what's your idea?

By JoeinNJ

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
greasy-bacon-590-1282238110.jpg
th-12.jpeg
9q7kmPM.jpg
th-1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
P1010529.JPG
image.jpg
Spawn.jpg
dragon.jpg
image.jpg
lunker.jpg
lunker3.jpg
lunker-full.jpg
Lunker_(Baron_2012).png
2008-11-13-heavy_metal-533x777.jpg
There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I know a lot of people bash Stern for releasing so many music pins

If people quit buying so many of them, they'll quit making so many of them.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So don't hold your breath if you think Stern is going to stop making music pins any time soon.

I agree.

They only have to sell a couple thousand- easier/safer to pick themes with solid fanbases...

I suspect Stern could only afford 1 flop... 2 in a row would be a killer.
JJP probably cant afford ANY flops or they will be out of business...

So, I suspect we will get super safe themes.... scifi movies, music themes, rinse, repeat.

#53 10 years ago

How about something underwater, ocean based. Great White shark as a multiball mode, mermaids that are topless (must be topless! ), a couple cool water rail ways through a neon bubbler the ball travel's through.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You have X-men and Avengers flipped, but other than that I think you got it right.
As far as no theme creativity, what do you want? The facts are: 1. we have got *much* better themes from Stern in the last couple of years (go check the themes starting before Avatar...other than IM most of them were pretty bad), and 2. Stern is only going to do licensed themes.
I know a lot of people bash Stern for releasing so many music pins, but guess what? I actually like them in general, assuming it's a band I like. TRS isn't a great playing pin, but it's still fun to hear the music while playing. AC/DC is great, and so is MET.
Seems like there is a ton of demand for an Iron Maiden pin too, and I bet we get it.
So don't hold your breath if you think Stern is going to stop making music pins any time soon.

I am not really a fan of Stern games and I think the sole reason for me is that they are all licensed properties.

Although in all honesty I understand why they do it and I agree with you that they will keep pumping them out.

They are still revenue-generating machines and while we have our own personal want lists, the manufacturer is going to make products that make the most sense in our current market and have the widest appeal for their intended audience. The way I see it, it sucks to be a fan of original content machines in this day and age but screw it, at least there are still companies out there putting out new machines at all!

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

archer
washington DC, pass a bill into law (ramp into white house, ramp into congress, ramp into white house again. supreme court drop down targets. jefferson mem bumper caps.
or maybe destroy washington would be more popular.

And none of it works!!!

#56 10 years ago

My idea for a game where it makes sense to score into the billions is History of the World, where your score is the population of the Earth, and as your score advances the year advances. Different modes would kick in apropos to the year; for example when it gets to 1347 the Black Death would strike and your score would start going *down* until you made the shots you need to make to improve hygiene to beat the disease.

Who says pinball can't also be educational?

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from lladnip:

i was thinking this the other day- sombodies really missed the zombie craze

Zombies time has come and gone, just like ninjas, space marines, and vampires. Next big thing is carrier pigeons. Mark my words, carrier pigeons.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Zombies time has come and gone, just like ninjas, space marines, and vampires. Next big thing is carrier pigeons. Mark my words, carrier pigeons.

That'll never fly ....although might have some legs er I mean wings....http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361089/......but that would make it a movie tie-in

#60 10 years ago

Its a different era, but i really miss the UNIQUE and CREATIVE machines that Lawlor produced...

Even though some were more popular than others, hard to challenge the creative themes:

I dont suggest Im objective here as Ive owned almost all of these at one time or another but, for off-the-wall-themes:
Banzai Run?!?! - 6-flippers, VERY unique vertical PF!
Earthshaker- best shaker motor use ever...
Whirlwind - spinning disc heaven and top5 toppers of all time
FH- love him or hate him, Rudy is a classic
FH2 (red & ted), Rudy squared
NGG - love the gophers, great HO1 shot
SafeCracker, again, VERY unique gameplay

Oh, and he certainly could make a decent licensed title:
TZ
TAF

I GET why Stern/JJP/etc wont take the risk on a unique theme, but I still miss those days!

#61 10 years ago

of the few original themes people mentioned i think the ocean based pin would be cool. allows for a lot of creativity. could be very colorful and many options.
history of the world could be pretty cool or even history of great wars. of course all imho! lol

#62 10 years ago

How about an RPG Pin, where you can advance your character each time you play, find new items, etc. Idk how possible that would be, but it would be cool to have some sort of character to progress and build up just like in rpg's on pc etc. I would've said a World of Warcraft themed but that would be licensed, but that would sell well......

#63 10 years ago

cowboys and aliens, cactus canyon meets attack from mars
lone ranger. play as the lone ranger or tonto. different skill shots for which character you choose.
cereal murder. capt crunch, frankenberry, and count chocula meets the sopranos.

#64 10 years ago

food wars, have chef ramsey yell at you while you try and collect all the ingredients for a soufle. playfield looks like a giant refrigerator.

operation. playfield looks like giant game of operation. complete with crane to remove locked balls.

fat albert theme. If you're not careful, you might learn something.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I love how the topic is asking what people want for original themes and well over half of the responses are licensed themes.

At least someone worked in a licensed theme prefaced by "I have said it before and I'll say it again". So....

#66 10 years ago

Maybe one way of saying it is "pinball themes we'd like but will never get"

So "original" is anything besides a movie/band/comic theme.

#67 10 years ago

nuclear reactor. get all the ingredients in time or the whole machine "explodes" in a blinding LED display. Gain extra time with a spinner. Double base speakers. revolving red lamp topper. Glow in the dark and black light playfield parts.

#68 10 years ago

i like to see a prison escape pin- compleat task, makes some shots and the ball ejects out of machine and lands on top of playfeild glass and rolls onto the floor- game over. go find another ball and quarter and your be in luck.

#69 10 years ago

There are some great ideas that everyone has come and we caught Ben's attention. Most of the big pin companies will pass on all the good stuff thrown out here,but maybe some one like Ben or Spooky or even Jpop might see something that they like and will run with it.

Everyone is doing mods because the games didn't come with them or they were cut out by the penny pinchers. If we could keep these design ideas coming maybe one day one of them will make it into a pin.

I'd still like to see a fog machine used in a pin for a multiball where the fog is heavier then air and might only be used towards top of playfield. Mix that with a great flasher show and you'll have a great multiball mode.

Keep the ideas coming!!

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from lladnip:

i like to see a prison Escape pin- compleat task, makes some shots and the ball ejects out of machine and lands on top of playfeild glass and rolls onto the floor- game over. go find another ball and quarter and your be in luck.

Big House Was an prison Escape themed game

#71 10 years ago

How about a LeMans pin with the Porsche 917 on the translite. Put me down for a Gulf LE!!!!

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Maybe one way of saying it is "pinball themes we'd like but will never get"

So "original" is anything besides a movie/band/comic theme.

Sad the days of original themed pins are over. I have no idea what the heck was going on with Xenon, but it was hella creative. We just have still images to look at, and there may or may not be a story behind it. But we loved it.

#73 10 years ago

Hey,

Barbecue. Have a big pulsing heart right in the middle of the playfield. As you consume the four competition meats (ribs, chicken, brisket, pulled pork), the appropriate insert lights up, eventually clogging the heart altogether, leading to quadruple bypass multiball.

Luke

#74 10 years ago

It's somewhat easier and less expensive, I would expect, to build a table without having to think too much about creative concepts and use others work. Not that I don't enjoy playing them...

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

It's somewhat easier and less expensive, I would expect, to build a table without having to think too much about creative concepts and use others work. Not that I don't enjoy playing them...

Well, if they are gonna be un-creative, id rather have them pick a good title to do it with.

So, why not just buy the rights to MM, MB and AFM and re-release them-

Dont change ANYTHING- just build a couple thousand of each.

I would think they could do it cheap too- hell- there'd be ZERO development cost..

#76 10 years ago

Have mini playfield like on haunted house or black hole, with some sort of photosensitive coating on glass. As game goes on longer, lights get brighter, and the glass gets darker making it harder.

gettysburg pin, chose north or south, game skills change with which side you chose. Mini cannon like on t-2 fires into soldier drop downs.

#77 10 years ago

partner with disney. one pin for each park.

#78 10 years ago

Think of the Disney Pins,
Magic kingdon, cinderellas castle, monorail, haunted mansion, pirates of the carribean, space mountain.
Epcot, giant golf ball, different lands, test track.
Hollywood studios, tower of terror, stunt show, honey I shrunk the kids, muppets, great movie ride. Plus mickey battles malificent dragon.
Animal kingdom, tree of life, expedition everest, safari.

buy all 4 and have some type of interaction connection. Plus steamboat willie and other movies playing on screen.
under cinderellas castle, a 2nd playfield(like on black hole) hidden mickeys, carousel, etc..

#79 10 years ago

i don't believe there's a muppet pin yet. muppet labs

#80 10 years ago

What about somthing to do with the Bermuda Triangle

#81 10 years ago

Well so far is heighway pinball and p3 only producing (going to) unlicensed game so far

#82 10 years ago

Water Park with some ramps like in white water.

#83 10 years ago

#84 10 years ago

#86 10 years ago

The Conjuring, or Incidious!

#87 10 years ago

How about a skiing theme with moguls, jumps and half pipes!

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from shawngg:

Water Park with some ramps like in White Water.

Surf N Safari

Now if there where away to have real water in side of a pinball to push the ball around.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How about a skiing theme with moguls, jumps and half pipes!

Wipe Out

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from jesster64:

Think of the Disney Pins,
Magic kingdon, cinderellas castle, monorail, haunted mansion, pirates of the carribean, space mountain.
Epcot, giant golf ball, different lands, test track.
Hollywood studios, tower of terror, stunt show, honey I shrunk the kids, muppets, great movie ride. Plus mickey battles malificent dragon.
Animal kingdom, tree of life, expedition everest, safari.
buy all 4 and have some type of interaction connection. Plus steamboat willie and other movies playing on screen.
under cinderellas castle, a 2nd playfield(like on black hole) hidden mickeys, carousel, etc..

don't know if I am allowd to tell, but I know someone who is quit busy with it already.

#91 10 years ago

In Europe or the US? Any other clues you could let slip. I can't think of any reason for disney not to have any pins.

#92 10 years ago

What about Spawn? Would be kick ass!!!

Spawn.jpgSpawn.jpg

#93 10 years ago

Might sound cheesy to some but a Collectibles game.

Buy sell trade etc... Anything from games to houses, boats and cars.
Like collecting things in Junkyard except more to the rules.
Anything collectible could be old transformers or star wars figures. Maybe you fixed a BMX bike for a kid on your block for an atari 2600 or fishing pole etc... ton of licensed stuff in it but original concept I believe.

Just my 2 cents if done right might be fun.

Besides I can truly relive my childhood if you make it

#94 10 years ago

escape from NY
or
robbie knievel, (updated evel knievel) pin.
or
daredevil pin
or
inspector gadget
or gangs of NY

#95 10 years ago

I'm not religious but what about an Old Testament pin?
Love the BBQ idea.
Plenty of pins that I'm glad no-one ever made 'Ally McBeal' being one of them.

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

What about Spawn? Would be kick ass!!!

Why is he wearing a mankini?

#97 10 years ago

WWII pin
With battles/multi balls being fought around the globe.
Choose which country you play as, If you choose USA you only get to start playing after ball 2

#98 10 years ago

A lot of you guys have an odd definition for "original".

I always wanted a 3rd game in the Earthshaker / Whirlwind series. Flood, or Tsunami or something.

Hmm.

#99 10 years ago

Well, I for one think it is about time to give the movie themed pinball idea a rest.Don't get me wrong-there are some good ones out there, but original-ideas pinballs will remain timeless and the liscensing fees would be a non-issue. Here's a few:

A space-themed pinball-NOT and AFM or RFM, but more or less involving space travel to different planets.
Ocean/Shark (NOT Jaws) theme would be kickass.
Driving across country-theme 'ala Cruisin USA (or World or Exotica) See Vacation USA on what NOT to do.
A Haunted House/Supernatural-themed pin. Not a rehash of previous pins, but something a bit more adult and frightening.
Amusement park themes. Either old (like a Kennywood Park in PA) or Modern (any Six Flags).
While on the subject, maybe a haunted, abandoned amusement park them.
The only non-original them I'd LOVE to see incorporated into a pin would be the late 1990's Midway's Carnevil. This MUST be done!! Man, what a no-brainer that one would be!

Doc

#100 10 years ago

With all the licenced taint in this thread I see why stern will never go original.

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/were-all-looking-for-an-new-original-theme-pin-so-whats-your-idea/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.