(Topic ID: 59358)

We're all looking for an new original theme pin, so what's your idea?

By JoeinNJ

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
greasy-bacon-590-1282238110.jpg
th-12.jpeg
9q7kmPM.jpg
th-1.jpeg
th-2.jpeg
P1010529.JPG
image.jpg
Spawn.jpg
dragon.jpg
image.jpg
lunker.jpg
lunker3.jpg
lunker-full.jpg
Lunker_(Baron_2012).png
2008-11-13-heavy_metal-533x777.jpg

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

Let's hear what you think it should be and throw some details in...

#3 10 years ago

I agree but would like to see Jpop take this title on.

#4 10 years ago

trains. everyone likes trains. think about it. it could have a ton of ramps and wire forms. guard rails shat come down. a train whistle and a shaker. it could be cool if done right.

#5 10 years ago

it's a secret........

#6 10 years ago

Octoberfest!

Hot girls in "Dirndl"-dresses (artwork), rollercoasters (ramps), any imaginable kind of fun ride (toys), beer drinking competitions (drunk multiball, like in CCC), music...and a theme that's known everywhere in the world.

Cheers!

#7 10 years ago

I know its 28 years old now but Goonies would make a badass pin. Cool music, fun theme, and potential for so many cool toys.

#8 10 years ago

World War II / military theme.

#9 10 years ago

A Halo game, have a warthog and master chief.......magical sound and lighting.

#10 10 years ago

I would love a Mortal Kombat theme, game not movie.

#11 10 years ago

How about a Dooms Day theme. It could be very interesting depending on how it's done.

Halo would be very cool just don't think its original.

#12 10 years ago

Spelunking

#13 10 years ago

Ren & Stimpy

#14 10 years ago

Heavy Metal! The pin would have a awesome soundtrack. The movie is based on a handful of animated shorts, so the theme and toys can be creative. The artwork for the playfield and backglass would be epic!

2008-11-13-heavy_metal-533x777.jpg2008-11-13-heavy_metal-533x777.jpg

#15 10 years ago

I would like to see a pin with artwork inspired by Tattoo's. Not sure where to go with the music or playfield layout, but graphically could be amazing.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Solach:

Heavy Metal! The pin would have a awesome soundtrack. The movie is based on a handful of animated shorts, so the theme and toys can be creative. The artwork for the playfield and backglass would be epic!

Yes!! Oh man there could be so many epic one liners to. I would also vote for Army of Darkness/Evil Dead series from 80's and 90's with Bruce Cambell. "This is my Boom Stick"

#17 10 years ago

He said original theme.

Beach theme with palm trees, surfers to hit, maybe a treasure chest, sand castle cave, plenty of drop targets. Could be a family theme.

The octoberfest idea was a good one that would be timeless and have a wide audience.

#18 10 years ago

I would also vote for Army of Darkness/Evil Dead series from 80's and 90's with Bruce Cambell. "This is my Boom Stick"

Dude! Army of Darkness would be a killer pin and it's one of my all time favorite movies. Or you can incorporate Jason vs Freddy vs Ash pin. Man, somebody make this happen!

Quoted from nate1981s:

He said original theme.

You are right. That's my bad. My "original" theme request would be something with ocean life or History (Revolutionary War, Civil War).

#19 10 years ago

Yeah I got carried away when I saw Heavy Metal and forgot all about original theme
sorry about that. Lots of other good ideas on original theme's here though.

#20 10 years ago

A haunted cemetery. Sounds weird, but with subways under the playfield transporting balls from crypt to crypt, tombstone standup targets, well used lighting, it could work. Some modes could be ghost hunting multiball, digging graves by shooting scoops, holes and saucers, zombie elimination etc. Everything could be lighthearted to balance out a dark and morbid theme. There could be a mode where you are a Cop who has to kick out some kids who are drinking on the property. Strange thing is that I can picture these things in my head, and how the layout and graphics would be.

#21 10 years ago

Pinball warriors RPG. Create your own hero. Game saves data and your items from game to game. The more you play, the more elite and geared out your hero will be. Earn special items for ball savers, 2X scoring, super ramps, super pops, specials, etc....

#22 10 years ago

Road House.

#23 10 years ago

neat topic and some great ideas -

heavy metal - yes that would be a cool pin regardless

I gave myself the challenge about a year ago, of trying to re theme a pinball with original art but to try and have it feel period or 'believable' as though it might have possibly existed in the mid '70s as an EM Williams type machine ..

as my pinball memories are strongly tied to my father and time we spent 'in the bush' in nw Ontario fishing ... I chose 'Lunker' as the theme - it is a lot of fun to play on 'future pinball' on a computer but no where the same as real pinball - someday I will do a real re-theme rather than digital ...!

regards, Ron

Lunker_(Baron_2012).pngLunker_(Baron_2012).png lunker-full.jpglunker-full.jpg lunker3.jpglunker3.jpg lunker.jpglunker.jpg

#24 10 years ago

Interesting...

You ask for an original theme.... and then 1/3 of the suggestions are not.

Note: when you say "original", I'm assuming it means NOT based on a video game, TV show, cartoon or movie.... I'd like to see a Zombie theme (unattached to any particular movie/TV show)

What was the last popular originally themes machine, btw?

#25 10 years ago

Maybe an aquatic theme, deep sea or something like that. Sharks, Octopus, even bring it up higher and do a barrier reef mode or something like that with a six ball multiball to simulate the fish on the barrier reef. I could see some interesting toys and modes...maybe even throw in a shark cage with a diver, have to save the diver from the sharks or something.

I think it could work with some thought.

I thought Spelunking was a good idea too, wide open theme with cave collapse modes, stalactite multiball etc.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Beach theme with palm trees, surfers to hit, maybe a treasure chest, sand castle cave, plenty of drop targets. Could be a family theme.

Rodney is back! Surf n Safari

#27 10 years ago

I think your title is wrong, not everybody is looking for an original theme. It may seem that way, but many are happy with licensed themes. it gives them something they know. I think an unlicensed theme could be cool, but I do not saw it as something everybody wants.

#28 10 years ago

Bowling.

Billiards.

Playing cards.

Gambling.

Car racing.

Going to school or school days.

Beauty pageants.

Swimming.

#29 10 years ago

CASTLEVANIA would be a winner and work so well. Said it before and saying it again.

#30 10 years ago

I love how the topic is asking what people want for original themes and well over half of the responses are licensed themes.

#31 10 years ago

While I guess it skirts the line between original and (kinda sorta) licensed, I would like to see a "Python" themed pinball.

Python meaning a machine with playfield and art designed in part by Python Anghelo that could also feature a serpent theme, playing off his actual name.

#32 10 years ago

Well original and unlicensed can be 2 different things. A licensed pin that has never been done before is original

#33 10 years ago

Pinball Flippers.

YOU are Bryan Kelly. Your mission: Make shots to advance / restore the very game you are working.

At the beginning, pops don't work. Clunk the ball against them several times to knock them loose and regain function.

Started Multiball? You'll have to plunge your own extra balls. Completing Multiball fixes the auto plunger.

Random 555 bulbs are rolling around the PF similar to the balls in CV. Watch out!

After several minutes of play the DMD finally works and you learn your score.

Wizard mode is completing the restoration and using the profit to buy a cheese pump.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I think your title is wrong, not everybody is looking for an original theme. It may seem that way, but many are happy with licensed themes. it gives them something they know. I think an unlicensed theme could be cool, but I do not saw it as something everybody wants.

Well, after the last year or so, anything that's not a superhero, movie or band theme would seem wildly original

And, you're right, obviously we ALL aren't clamoring for originality. It took, what, a day to sell all the Metalllica LE's? A band pin released right after..... Another band pin....

So, a clear message is being sent to Stern- more of the same.

#35 10 years ago

How about a sequel to an original table? It would be neat to see a modern day Centaur sequel.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

And, you're right, obviously we ALL aren't clamoring for originality. It took, what, a day to sell all the Metalllica LE's? A band pin released right after..... Another band pin....

Uh, I think you are missing a pin (or two) in there somewhere.

#37 10 years ago

T.A.P.S. ghost hunting pin! Let Dennis & Greg design it. Would be my first NIB!

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

trains. everyone likes trains. think about it. it could have a ton of ramps and wire forms. guard rails shat come down. a train whistle and a shaker. it could be cool if done right.

Ghost train or Runaway Train!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Uh, I think you are missing a pin (or two) in there somewhere.

Ok, I exaggerated a bit.... but here's the last 3 years of THEME variety from Stern

Comic/Superhero: IronMan
Movie: Avatar
Movie: tron
Band: Stones
Movie: xformers
Band: ACDC
Comic/Superhero: Avengers
Comic/Superhero: Xmen
Band: Metallica

Not sure if those are in perfect order, but its pretty close- and that's 3 of the last 6 band themes... with the rest showing little to no theme creativity as well.

#40 10 years ago

Heighway pinball are a few weeks away from releasing a non licensed machine, I think it's the first time a company has one this for well over 10 years. It's called "full throttle", additionally it has an HD LCD screen in the middle of the Playfield and also a brand new solid cabinet designs hitch allows interchangeable playfelds. Looks HOT to me!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#41 10 years ago

A pin based on modern socio-economic policies in the Sudan would RAWK!

#42 10 years ago

Thermonuclear war, everyone loves hydrogen bomb multiball...

Actually, maybe not bad, modes trying to avert the bomb, play as different countries etc.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from StrykersArcade:

Ghost train or Runaway Train!

More like train wreck, it'll be choo choo instead of ker ching I reckon, ghost theme might have a chance

Quoted from lowepg:

Ok, I exaggerated a bit.... but here's the last 3 years of THEME variety from Stern
Not sure if those are in perfect order, but its pretty close- and that's 3 of the last 6 band themes... with the rest showing little to no theme creativity as well.

Why not combine them in a monster bash stylie for example DC heros glam rock destroyers or Marvels Metal Marauders Batman on triangle and Hulk with Maracas

A Manga/anime theme would have amazing art just leave pikachu at home.

#44 10 years ago

archer
washington DC, pass a bill into law (ramp into white house, ramp into congress, ramp into white house again. supreme court drop down targets. jefferson mem bumper caps.
or maybe destroy washington would be more popular.

#45 10 years ago

A good generic theme would be fighting a Dragon.

#46 10 years ago

Some thing to with sharks

#47 10 years ago

I have very basic VP table with a dragon in it.

No code just an layout

dragon.jpgdragon.jpg

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Interesting...
You ask for an original theme.... and then 1/3 of the suggestions are not.
Note: when you say "original", I'm assuming it means NOT based on a video game, TV show, cartoon or movie.... I'd like to see a Zombie theme (unattached to any particular movie/TV show)
What was the last popular originally themes machine, btw?

i was thinking this the other day- sombodies really missed the zombie craze

#49 10 years ago

The serengeti, where you ball is a wildebeast and needs to avoid the predators and find his way to the green lands.

Or trains..... Wth ramps, tunnels, nogt train modes, robberys.

Two amazing themese for pinball i think.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

You have X-men and Avengers flipped, but other than that I think you got it right.

As far as no theme creativity, what do you want? The facts are: 1. we have got *much* better themes from Stern in the last couple of years (go check the themes starting before Avatar...other than IM most of them were pretty bad), and 2. Stern is only going to do licensed themes.

I know a lot of people bash Stern for releasing so many music pins, but guess what? I actually like them in general, assuming it's a band I like. TRS isn't a great playing pin, but it's still fun to hear the music while playing. AC/DC is great, and so is MET.

Seems like there is a ton of demand for an Iron Maiden pin too, and I bet we get it.

So don't hold your breath if you think Stern is going to stop making music pins any time soon.

There are 201 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/were-all-looking-for-an-new-original-theme-pin-so-whats-your-idea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.