(Topic ID: 87572)

Went to Modern again. Played Mustang. Walked away.

By NJGecko

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-04-14 11.40.55.jpg
2014-04-14 11.35.15.jpg
2014-04-14 11.57.07.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I was in the area today briefly, so I popped my head in. Wanted to check out Mustang. And I will say I walked away feeling very underwhelmed. Theme I could kind of overlook (I'm a chevy guy myself) but so many other things just didn't do it for me.
First looking around at the N20 targets and the big plastic model in the playfield I felt like I was watching something between Fast and Furious meets Toys R Us.
The top lanes were interesting. The little kickout saucer to the right of the center was interesting too. I wasn't sure what I expected, but I kind of thought it was a subway, but I guess not.

I couldn't hear a thing from the sound since it was in a packed parlor.

LEDs were nice to see in the game.

Play...it just was very bland to me. Totally forgettable.

I walked over to AC/DC and had a bit more of a good time on that. Hmm...

2014-04-14 11.35.15.jpg2014-04-14 11.35.15.jpg 2014-04-14 11.40.55.jpg2014-04-14 11.40.55.jpg 2014-04-14 11.57.07.jpg2014-04-14 11.57.07.jpg
#2 10 years ago

good finally meeting ya yesterday. hope to actually play pinball next time!

-jon

#3 10 years ago

Likewise! My daughter bugged me the whole way home to make sure I ask you for more stickers when you get them in...!

#4 10 years ago

I think Mustang is bland and forgettable as well, played a few games and wasn't tempted to buy it, music selection is best feature, pin is for Mustang enthusiasts.

#5 10 years ago

Funny, I played it yesterday for the first time at MP and kinda liked it. Very fast with lots of ball spin (it's brand-new), but I thought it was fun to shoot. Still don't have a good feel for the rules, but MB was easy to start by just hitting the drops. Far more interesting that their previous release, IMO.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Funny, I played it yesterday for the first time at MP and kinda liked it. Very fast with lots of ball spin (it's brand-new), but I thought it was fun to shoot. Still don't have a good feel for the rules, but MB was easy to start by just hitting the drops. Far more interesting that their previous release, IMO.

I like it also and I am not a Ford fan.. Like the sounds and shots.. Believe it will become a great pin as 50th Anniversary and Ford wont let it be a flop with code.. I own the game.

Disclaimer.. Not stating Stern would either

#7 10 years ago

I had the exact same feeling when I played Mustang at the 1up here in Denver. Forgettable is definitely the right word for my first impression. I like Trudeau's work in general so I am still eager to see his next game from Stern. Still, I will give any Stern I don't like at first another chance months down the line because of the general lack of completeness of code upon release.

#8 10 years ago

My biggest problem with Mustang is just that there aren't many satisfying shots to hit. The ramp is cool, but quite often it isn't even down so the game is basically ramp-less when that happens. I'm also not a fan of the big drop target bank in the middle. I think as a player I'm so conditioned to not take dangerous shots so I don't really enjoy shooting them. I like drop targets in general but I would have rather seen a magnet toy or an inline drop target bank concealing a 2nd ramp than what's currently there. The captive ball area also seems like a waste of space because anything beyond just a regular captive ball is really beyond the player's control. It's not a bad game necessarily, but I think looking back it will be known as a pretty mediocre Stern title.

#9 10 years ago

i feel your pain. i see no hope for the game based on the shots alone.

#10 10 years ago

I didn't like it either. I like AC/DC and ST, but couldn't get into Mustang.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm also not a fan of the big drop target bank in the middle. I think as a player I'm so conditioned to not take dangerous shots so I don't really enjoy shooting them. I like drop targets in general but I would have rather seen a magnet toy or an inline drop target bank concealing a 2nd ramp than what's currently there.

So true about the center drops. It just seems like lazy design, imo. It's good to have an "obvious" shot for newer players, but it doesn't have to be such a big sucker shot that basically takes all of the real estate out of the center of the playfield. Trudeau is usually known for being very innovative and taking big risks with his designs, and this just doesn't reflect that for some reason- maybe he had a lot of pressure from his superiors to do something more simplistic.

#12 10 years ago

It's almost as though they knew they had a large group of non pinball playing customers that might buy these based on theme alone.

#13 10 years ago

I think it has potential. The rules are definitely not there right now, but the layout is unique and it has some cool features to it. Rules will make or break this. Imagine CFTBL with bad rules. It would be entirely forgettable, but with the great (yet simple) ruleset, it's a classic.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Imagine CFTBL with bad rules.

So then...imagine CFTBL?

#15 10 years ago

I was prepared to be fairly underwhelmed when I saw it at MPE. I put a few games into it and thought it was pretty good.

The real issue I have is that Mustang Pro is really about a $2800 HUO game in my book. Same holds true for the other Stern pro models IMHO. They just don't have "value" in them like POTC, LOTR, WOF, etc.

For the sake of pinball and Stern, I hope it sells well. I can see picking one up on the used market in a couple of years myself, but not for too much.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

inline drop target bank concealing a 2nd ramp

Tagged for the OMGWTF Why hasn't anyone ever DONE THAT.....

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I think it has potential. The rules are definitely not there right now, but the layout is unique and it has some cool features to it. Rules will make or break this. Imagine CFTBL with bad rules. It would be entirely forgettable, but with the great (yet simple) ruleset, it's a classic.

Imagine Creech if they got rid of the left ramp and the "move your car" center shot and replaced them with a 5 drop target bank and you'd have Mustang. I really think Mustang is just a bland design that no amount of code will fix. I love a lot of Dr. Flash's design's, but I think Mustang is probably his weakest design.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Tagged for the OMGWTF Why hasn't anyone ever DONE THAT.....

Well, WOF did it which is one of the reason's that I really like that game. Thinking outside the box!

#19 10 years ago

I liked it quite a bit, which is surprising, I was expecting to hate it. The rules right now have you shooting a lot of different stuff. It was a game in which I felt like I could aim for stand up targets that aren't sucker shots that drain your ball right down the middle. I liked that.

#20 10 years ago

The whirlpool leaves you enough time to make a sandwich.

#21 10 years ago

New code isn't going to help the pin, price is too high for the game, it is going to be like polishing a turd when selling the pin,

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from sleethering:

The whirlpool leaves you enough time to make a sandwich.

Funny, I totally forgot about that. It was neat for a second, but it kept going and going and going.....

#23 10 years ago

That's a nice looking ACDC LTBR . Is that a price tag I see on this machine?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

For the sake of pinball and Stern, I hope it sells well.

I curious, who paid who... Ford or Stern? Hollywood and rock band themes are great, but I'm not a big fan of consumer product pins. Mustang looks like an advertisement to me.

#25 10 years ago

My girlfriend and I played the one that Bobby got over at bene here.
Pretty much the same deal, we gave it about 4 games. One of them was a match award and she actually groaned. Walked away to go play AC/DC.
Really wasn't a big fan of the drop target bank. The car does nothing. I see people bitch about star trek not having great toys - but at least the ship moves.
The game is just lame enough that I have to believe Ford either comissioned them to do it, or cut them one hell of a screaming deal on the licensing.

#26 10 years ago

They have one at Mugs Ale House now as well (in Williamsburg, Bklyn) next to their WoZ. I played it a few times yesterday and was similarly underwhelmed. As a visual artist I find it hard to see past a lackluster theme that I'm uninterested in, but I can get over that if the gameplay is engaging enough.. which was not the case for me on Mustang.

For fairness sake I'll give it another few goes next time I'm at Modern when I don't have to feed dollar bills into a slot of potential sadness.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I curious, who paid who... Ford or Stern? Hollywood and rock band themes are great, but I'm not a big fan of consumer product pins. Mustang looks like an advertisement to me.

I assure you that Stern did not make Mustang on commission from Ford. That would be some wasted marketing dollars. NASCAR didn't pay Stern, Dodge didn't pay for Viper, and George Lucas never funded a Star Wars game. That's not how these things work. Ever.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I would have rather seen inline drop target concealing a 2nd ramp.

Quoted from Frax:

Tagged for the OMGWTF why hasn't anyone ever DONE THAT?

See center ramp on 2001 Stern Playboy with drop target very well integrated.

Quoted from TireFryer426:

The car does nothing.

On the pro. The car is on an interactive rotating turntable on the premium and LE models.

#29 10 years ago

Th game is on game code V1.0. Can never judge on early code. Let's hope this one is another they finish.
Al

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Th game is on game code V1.0.

Version 1.20 for Mustang Pro was released on April 10, 2014

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Version 1.20 for Mustang Pro was released on April 10, 2014

Was available for download as of 4/14 - and is huge and awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,500 (Firm)
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/went-to-modern-again-played-mustang-walked-away and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.