(Topic ID: 117883)

Went for it (mylar removal Gottlieb Waterworld)

By Kawasakiltd

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-67.jpg
image-739.jpg
image-356.jpg
image-266.jpg
image-746.jpg
P1120322.JPG
20150204_145341.jpg
20150204_144959.jpg
P1120321.JPG
P1120320.JPG
P1120319.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Well it turn out very good nothing came up. I used the freeze method and it went well. To take the glue off I put a layer of paper towel down and ronsonol lighter fluid and let it sit on there for 10 mins. Glue came right off with ease very surprised at that. Now to tear it down and wait for my parts and leds to come in.

P1120319.JPGP1120319.JPGP1120320.JPGP1120320.JPGP1120321.JPGP1120321.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Nice man, looks good. New led's for domes if you are interested.

20150204_144959.jpg20150204_144959.jpg 20150204_145341.jpg20150204_145341.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Rock do you make under cad kits for gottliebs? How do they look in the flashers are they pretty bright?

#4 9 years ago

All the glue is off looks pretty good.
P1120322.JPGP1120322.JPG

#5 9 years ago

Looks good!
Pretty brave to try that. Glad it worked so well.

#6 9 years ago

I don't believe Gottlieb used automotive type clear coat on their system 3 playfields. Or whatever they did use was not very thick. Thus the full mylar sheets.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Kawasakiltd:

Rock do you make under cad kits for gottliebs? How do they look in the flashers are they pretty bright?

Only for locals as i cannot build a plug and play connector for them. Well ok i can but it is not worth the initial cost. Let me know if you want me to swing out sometime we can get it done.

#8 9 years ago

Waterworld looks pretty cool.....never seen one before. Is it as bad as the movie? (I know....nothing is THAT bad....)

#9 9 years ago

So you plan on clearcoating it now right?

#10 9 years ago

I did not plan on clear coating.

#11 9 years ago

People usually remove mylar because they're going to clearcoat the playfield. Hopefully it holds up for you without mylar.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

People usually remove mylar because they're going to clearcoat the playfield. Hopefully it holds up for you without mylar.

home use, id say its fine.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Waterworld looks pretty cool.....never seen one before. Is it as bad as the movie? (I know....nothing is THAT bad....)

Don't mean to crap on the party, but it's almost that bad. I mean, I like the layout but the rules are pretty bad. It's not quite a FREDDY level of crapfest, but close.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

its quite good, rock solid system 3 tank... great boards... denis hopper callouts are very cool...

only thing i wish it had a ramp or two ... still good fun, shootin the deez'

#15 9 years ago

I remove the mylar whenever possible. There is still clearcoat on the playfield after you remove the mylar.

#16 9 years ago

Two thick coats of wax and sink the deez.

#17 9 years ago

Brave man, Gottliebs can be very tricky, they don't have nearly the level of protection on them that even Data East had. I really wanted to remove the tired mylar on my Surf N' Safari, but just a small test in one corner told me that half the insert graphics or worse were going to come with it, so it will have to stay.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

its quite good, rock solid system 3 tank... great boards... denis hopper callouts are very cool...
only thing i wish it had a ramp or two ... still good fun, shootin the deez'

I just noticed...no ramps. Kind of old school.....kind of...

So what feeds the right clear plastic return to the flipper? A VUK?

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Two thick coats of wax and sink the deez.

So I should be good with out clear coating the playfield if I keep her waxed?

#20 9 years ago

For sure..wax and clean balls...that's all you need to protect and maintain it. Great work, looks very nice.

#21 9 years ago

Wax does wonders

#22 9 years ago

I got mine 2 months ago and can't stop tricking it out. Waterworld is a real sleeper in terms of people reviewing it and price. I love mine. If you set up the game on difficult and on tournament mode, you'll end the overly generous "you get another chance" balls, and one more thing: the difficult setting turns the flasher lights on during deez sinking attempts in a distracting type of way that's pretty cool, like the games f'n with you as your trying to ramp 4 balls. I changed all the flasher caps to blue as the 3 original different colors almost put me in a epileptic fit

Btw Cliffy just sent me the hard to find octagonal divehole protector for $25 and he has more in stock

#23 9 years ago

*Installed spots on the bezerker and gunboat pig boy (it made them really pop).
*Took off the useless waterworld back right plastic as all it did was obscure the chrome up ramp and add to glare.
*took off the small clear plastic connecting the deez opto and deez motor house and installed LEDs in it as it had none and was dark.
*changing out the harpoon kicker's coil to a A-5195 is a must as the underpowered original fails half the time

image-746.jpgimage-746.jpg image-266.jpgimage-266.jpg image-356.jpgimage-356.jpg image-739.jpgimage-739.jpg image-67.jpgimage-67.jpg
#24 9 years ago

I am going to ad lights as well. I am going to put 3 behind the wave ramp it self. Also on the side by the plastic return ramp. I have ordered all the leds for it I am going with blue and maybe some white we will see. Yours looks great. I am also talking with rock about an undercab lighting kit. Hopefully it is not to expensive. With taking the mylar off the playfield is really nice on this game. Thought about maybe having Kruzman touch it up and clear it but not sure yet on that. I don't want to sink the deez with all my money.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/went-for-it-mylar-removal-gottlieb-waterworld and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.