4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4040_(resized).jpg
    IMG_4039(1)_(resized).jpg
    whoops1_(resized).jpg
    whoops2_(resized).jpg
    PM_ready_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

My Pinball Magic has been sitting in the basement waiting to be set up since the Allentown show. Life got in the way a bit. Had some time tonight, and went to set it up.

All ready to go!

PM_ready_(resized).jpg

I use my typical one person method. Out the front legs on, set them on the ground, lift the back of the machine by the hole the wires go through from the backbox to the cabinet. Has always worked well for the last 29 years for me......until tonight.

I lifted, got about 3 inches off the ground and then this happened:

whoops1_(resized).jpg

whoops2_(resized).jpg

Sigh. Looks like I will be buying some clamps in the morning. Already have some Titebond II but my clamps are not long enough.

First world problems.

Chris

#3 4 years ago

Well in a pinch you could use tie-down straps. That's really a pretty easy fix. I have a nail gun and if I was doing it I would probably just wood glue it and nail it with finish nails.

#4 4 years ago

You spent more time documenting it then it would take to fix.

Now get to work mister and you'll be enjoying that game in no time

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well in a pinch you could use tie-down straps. That's really a pretty easy fix. I have a nail gun and if I was doing it I would probably just wood glue it and nail it with finish nails.

Yeah, but I wanted to get longer clamps anyway. Now I have an excuse

Quoted from rplante:

You spent more time documenting it then it would take to fix.
    Now get to work mister and you'll be enjoying that game in no time

Yeah, probably. But without the right tools, I don't want to do anything.

Chris

#6 4 years ago

Sorry Chris. It is amazing how little holds those boards on. I'm lucky years ago never having a head bounce down the freeway.

LTG : )

#7 4 years ago

Yikes! Hope your toes are OK!

#8 4 years ago

Oh my god, my heart breaks for you. that sucks AND blows.

#9 4 years ago

easy fix, you'll be good to go in no time.

p.s, i loved playing this at the show!

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I use my typical one person method. Out the front legs on, set them on the ground, lift the back of the machine by the holy the wires go through from the backbox to the cabinet. Has always worked well for the last 29 years for me......until tonight.

I do the same thing except the part of lifting it from that hole. I *always* lift mine from underneath the cabinet. I've always feared having what just happened to you happen to me.

Luckily an easy fix. Just a pain to deal with though.

#11 4 years ago

Oh no

It could have been a lot worse. Thanks goodness it should be an easy repair.

Quoted from RobertWinter:

I *always* lift mine from underneath the cabinet. I've always feared having what just happened to you happen to me.

Same here. Instead of supporting the bulk of the weight from the bottom, you're putting all that weight and stress on a small portion of the cab that wasn't designed for it.

#12 4 years ago

Sorry about your game. On a lighter note, that's a nice Vidmar cabinet you've got there!

#13 4 years ago

You can never have enough clamps. I like pipe clamps because I can always get a liner pipe or a coupling and have a longer clamp. Also I found a nice 2 by 6 scrap works well to spread the clamping force. Finishing nails are nice to keep it from sliding. But your real strength will come from a good tite glue joint.
    Good luck.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from PNBLWZD:

Sorry about your game. On a lighter note, that's a nice Vidmar cabinet you've got there!

LOL, thanks! One of the best things I ever bought. Also the heaviest thing I have ever bought. The guy that helped me get it in the basement advised me that if I got another one that he would be unavailable the day I have to move it

It holds tons of stuff. Certainly the best "tool box" I have ever had.

Chris

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

easy fix, you'll be good to go in no time.
    p.s, i loved playing this at the show!

Yeah, it was a nice clean separation. Will get the clamps today and have it curing tonight

Glad you enjoyed it! I was glad I took it. There were 2 Breakshot machines there, but other than those, I don't recall any other Capcom machines.

Chris

#16 4 years ago

Yeah, it was a nice clean separation. Will get the clamps today and have it curing tonight
    Glad you enjoyed it! I was glad I took it. There were 2 Breakshot machines there, but other than those, I don't recall any other Capcom machines.
    Chris

the breakshot in the same row I bought and took home, love it! nice and clean

#17 4 years ago

Sigh! That sucks man.
    Alright .. fine .. I'll take that piece of crap game off of your hands man. You don't want THAT thing anymore!

#18 4 years ago

Yep, feel for you.
    A few years ago, I went to an auction, saw a foolball pin I wanted.
    Lost the bid, but buyer has a soda shop in east Texas, and wanted me to refurb it for him.
    I said sure, bring it to me. He did.
    Had it on a trailer, legs off, and when he went to unload it, he opened the door, grabbed it, and proceeded
    to pull the WHOLE FRONT OFF...he stood there with the front of the machine in his hand, and a blank look on his face.
    I said don't worry, my dad is a tv repair man, he has a bunch of tools...I can fix it.
    Long story longer, I now have 4- 8' bar clamps, and 4 -4' bar clamps.
    Rock on Dude...lesson learned.

#19 4 years ago

Wow,what a drag!!! Bummer! Thanks for sharing this,maybe a clumsy guy like me might be saved by your sharing,thank you!!

#20 4 years ago

All clamped up......

IMG_4040_(resized).jpg

IMG_4039(1)_(resized).jpg

#21 4 years ago

LOL, thanks! One of the best things I ever bought. Also the heaviest thing I have ever bought. The guy that helped me get it in the basement advised me that if I got another one that he would be unavailable the day I have to move it
    It holds tons of stuff. Certainly the best "tool box" I have ever had.
    Chris

Yeah... I've wanted one for years.... unfortunately, people seem to know their value... because they never seem to come up cheap on craigslist

#22 4 years ago

Makes my toes hurt thinking about it.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

Yeah... I've wanted one for years.... unfortunately, people seem to know their value... because they never seem to come up cheap on craigslist

Yeah, this one was really nice, and was $500, so I snapped it up. I had ever seen one that size for that price.

Chris

#24 4 years ago

Sorry man!

But congrats on the pickup... I've thought about getting a Pinball Magic. Great game and they don't show up all that often.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 199.99
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 9.95
    $ 25.50
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.00
    $ 289.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 81.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 45.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    LightAndTimeArt
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 38.00
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ULEKstore
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 159.00
    $ 61.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside