View topic image gallery

IMG_20190609_113633730 (resized).jpg
FE1A5BB2-67D5-4CF2-8FB2-55562E629C3A (resized).jpeg
b6936a5ceb10d7ce942534e06a97d3bd01b917f2.jpeg (1) (resized).jpg
200.gif
20210226_094127 (resized).jpg
20210225_122508 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

This unfortunate event has solidified my desire not to "be into" video or arcade games. I'm a pinball guy. Why did I think a video game was going to work out for me? Everything was going fine, until the dolly wheel got caught on the side of the ramp guard about half way down the ramp, yanking the dolly out of my hands and sending this game to the ground (cue "DOWN GOES FRASIER! DOWN GOES GALAGA! DOWN GOES MS. PACMAN!") I haven't plugged it in to see if there's a pulse. At this point, I really don't care. Thank God it wasn't a pinball!

*no pinballs were harmed in this mishap

20210225_122508 (resized).jpg20210225_122508 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Yeah this happened to me once, with a near mint condition Centipede.

Vids have a much higher center of gravity as well as reduced visibility that seasoned pin movers aren't used to. Centipede survived with just a couple scratches, your game probably will too.

#3 3 years ago

It's probably just a fuse.

#4 3 years ago

Well at least you know there's no moisture damage on the bottom. Arcade games are definitely top heavy.

#5 3 years ago

Probably why they there own set of wheels for moving?

#6 3 years ago

#8 3 years ago

I'm sorry it happened. I hope you escaped injury.

LTG : )

#9 3 years ago

Well? What’s the damage report?

#10 3 years ago

If he didn't hear the hiss of a necked tube... then he's probably only suffering from pride.
I feel for yah; I did that once to my Bally Star Trek a year or two ago. but it was only a tip over from ground level.
I ended up being able to reglue the top of the head back in position. Was I happy; hell no... but I didn't end up shattering the Back Glass. Whew.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from oPinsesame:

Well? What’s the damage report?

After drop testing, tests show that it works fine. Now, to get some new side art.

20210226_094127 (resized).jpg20210226_094127 (resized).jpg
#12 3 years ago

It's alive!

#13 3 years ago
200.gif200.gif
#14 3 years ago

Here's a hot tip for the inexperienced: cart it from the back so the load is balanced left to right, and you can control the front to back center of gravity with the angle of the cart. You won't get thru standard doorways with it sideways, either.

#15 3 years ago

Way back when I was 16, my very first beer delivery was 10 cases of Colt 45 Malt Liquor 6 pack cans, down 100 year old, narrow wooden stairs into a dark, dank basement of bar....all 10 fell forward and down into the basement as I lost my balance. Lesson learned.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Here's a hot tip for the inexperienced: cart it from the back so the load is balanced left to right, and you can control the front to back center of gravity with the angle of the cart. You won't get thru standard doorways with it sideways, either.

Ha, beat me to it. Here's your problem ^^^

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Way back when I was 16, my very first beer delivery was 10 cases of Colt 45 Malt Liquor 6 pack cans, down 100 year old, narrow wooden stairs into a dark, dank basement of bar....all 10 fell forward and down into the basement as I lost my balance. Lesson learned.

One of my dad's early jobs was delivering beer also. He used to deliver kegs and told me all about it. He said they had them in a truck with no ramp or gate. They would roll them off the truck onto a mat in the parking lot. One time they missed the mat and the parking lot was flooded with beer. The local drunks probably came out with a glass to help clean up.

#18 3 years ago

did this exact thing with my pole position, really jacked the cabinet up but it still works. I have not messed with fixing the cabinet yet.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

This is 100% accurate. God knows how many arcade machines I moved in the past.

#20 3 years ago

Had you caught the dolly wheel when moving a pinball machine, same thing would have happened, with much more disastrous results. So there's that at least.

#21 3 years ago

Had a junky SS pin on skates in my garage. Moved it to get out my lawnmower and one skate flipped over. Pin slowly started to tip over. It felt like forever and I knew there was nothing I could do. The head hit the drivers side fender of my Jaguar convertible. 2'x3' dent over the wheel well. Pin survived with minor damage. Jag got repairs and a new paint job. No more skates in the garage.

#22 3 years ago

Welcome. You're now part of an elite club

b6936a5ceb10d7ce942534e06a97d3bd01b917f2.jpeg (1) (resized).jpgb6936a5ceb10d7ce942534e06a97d3bd01b917f2.jpeg (1) (resized).jpg
#23 3 years ago

I always think if you drop a game it's because you're not fat enough to counteract the weight of the loaded Escalera.

I've never dropped a game yet.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

After drop testing, tests show that it works fine. Now, to get some new side art.

How does the side look?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

We can laugh about that now, right? Cause I am lmao off picturing it!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Welcome. You're now part of an elite club[quoted image]

Oh yahtzee, that is/was a pin !

#27 3 years ago

I've only owned one videogame, an original Asteroids. Wish I still had that one, with the vector screen. Only time I wreaked havoc on a pin was when I had no truck and tried using a little cheap put-it-together-yourself trailer behind my car. It would've worked okay except I put the straps in the wrong places on the pin and all the jostling pried the front corners of the cabinet open like a can of tuna.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

I've only owned one videogame, an original Asteroids. Wish I still had that one, with the vector screen. Only time I wreaked havoc on a pin was when I had no truck and tried using a little cheap put-it-together-yourself trailer behind my car. It would've worked okay except I put the straps in the wrong places on the pin and all the jostling pried the front corners of the cabinet open like a can of tuna.

If you can move an Asteroids, you can move anything. That is one of the tallest, heaviest, most awkward cabinets there are. I'll never forget moving mine into the gameroom.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

Oh yahtzee, that is/was a pin !

Yep. I was very fortunate. I had over-wrapped it with thick padded blankets. I flew over the handtruck when the center of gravity got away from me on the middle step.

But miraculously the game survived undamaged. Didn't even break the pf glass. I was so lucky.

#30 3 years ago

Reminds me of the story I heard...can't recall where I heard or read about it... about Bally Midway cranking out Pac Mans/Ms. Pac Mans so fast and furious during the Pac Man craze that if they had an accident where one would fall off the factory shipping dock and get smashed they would just sort of ignore it and keep loading the rest of them. Maybe it was just an urban legend.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

If you can move an Asteroids, you can move anything. That is one of the tallest, heaviest, most awkward cabinets there are. I'll never forget moving mine into the gameroom.

I got an Asteroids for "free" .. just had to get it out of an upstairs bedroom We actually managed to get it out and loaded with no damage to the game or house.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

We can laugh about that now, right? Cause I am lmao off picturing it!

Definitely funny! Now that we are all laughing, tells us how & where did you land when you went over? Also, how mad were you those first couple of minutes? Glad she survived, she now has a story you can tell.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

Definitely funny! Now that we are all laughing, tells us how & where did you land when you went over? Also, how mad were you those first couple of minutes? Glad she survived, she now has a story you can tell.

Did you get up fast and look around or were you injured.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

I was behind it, so I just got to watch gravity take over. You'd think I would have been irate, but I really wasn't, surprising myself, too. I was so tired from moving a bunch of other stuff before that, that I was like "oh well !" Luckily, I had no witnesses, so face was saved.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Did you get up fast and look around or were you injured.

Not a scratch. A true professional screw up lol.

#36 3 years ago
FE1A5BB2-67D5-4CF2-8FB2-55562E629C3A (resized).jpegFE1A5BB2-67D5-4CF2-8FB2-55562E629C3A (resized).jpeg
#37 3 years ago

Upon further review, it appears I cracked the cabinet on the Galaga side. Nothing a beer won't fix.

#38 3 years ago

How much beer does it take to fix a cracked cabinet? And is it really fixed, or just forgotten?

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

This unfortunate event has solidified my desire not to "be into" video or arcade games. I'm a pinball guy. Why did I think a video game was going to work out for me? Everything was going fine, until the dolly wheel got caught on the side of the ramp guard about half way down the ramp, yanking the dolly out of my hands and sending this game to the ground (cue "DOWN GOES FRASIER! DOWN GOES GALAGA! DOWN GOES MS. PACMAN!") I haven't plugged it in to see if there's a pulse. At this point, I really don't care. Thank God it wasn't a pinball!
*no pinballs were harmed in this mishap
[quoted image]

That’s what you get you traitor!

Seriously though. I’m sorry for your loss and that is indeed what you get.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

All of the early 80s Atari cabs are like that. Tall, mostly particleboard and MDF. Heavy awkward beasts.

Stern cabs much better - all plywood, and Bally/Midway cabs like Pac-Man.

The worst I've ever moved? Freaking Golden Tee - what a beast! Had 4 guys and it almost killed us.

RussM

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

All of the early 80s Atari cabs are like that. Tall, mostly particleboard and MDF. Heavy awkward beasts.

Agreed. I used to have an Atari Star Wars and it was very heavy. Had to get a lot of help when we stood it up from horizontal to vertical while moving it.

IMG_20190609_113633730 (resized).jpgIMG_20190609_113633730 (resized).jpg
#42 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

Agreed. I used to have an Atari Star Wars and it was very heavy. Had to get a lot of help when we stood it up from horizontal to vertical while moving it.
[quoted image]

i had that machine it was fun memories wiyh the family.heavy as heck

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from illudiumQ36:

I was behind it, so I just got to watch gravity take over. You'd think I would have been irate, but I really wasn't, surprising myself, too. I was so tired from moving a bunch of other stuff before that, that I was like "oh well !" Luckily, I had no witnesses, so face was saved.

"Had" no witnesses. Now you do. LOL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/well-that-didn-t-end-well?hl=jesperpark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.