48.jpg
rubber-rattlesnake-fangs.jpg
IMG_20130603_063728.jpg
th-12.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Crotalus-atrox-040110-San-Antonio-Mar.jpeg
Broken_Snake_Tooth.jpg
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Unlike the FREDDY glove, this has nothing to do with gameplay.

The bottom blade of the glove is metal. It is the blade that is used as the flipper. The other blades are plastic (pure cosmetics). The plastic blades that have nothing to do with gameplay are the blades that break.

I'm picking up some of this: http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-plasticweld-putty/

Maybe even coat the fangs and repaint before anything happens?

OP says broken after 200 plays. Sounds like lots of people won't have to worry about it
I've got a feeling my fangs will be history after the first weekend of obsessive gameplay.

#152 10 years ago

When I get my MOPLE I'm gonna make sure I brush my snake's teeth twice per day and floss daily.

#153 10 years ago

Would be interested to see what stern comes back with? No reply yet?

#154 10 years ago

Can I have the tooth please? I wanna make it into a cool necklace.

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Exactly ,, I want to know if Stern is gonna Correct the Problem and send replacement Cobra Heads or on the 2nd Run in July redesign the Teeth to be Rubber ..

#156 10 years ago

Stick the tooth under your pillow. Maybe in the morning you will find some money. If you are lucky it will be enough to buy a new plastic snake head. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I disagree toys on pinball machines should be designed to last especially ones that are that noticeable.

I think what many are forgetting here is that Stern hasn't designed many toys lately. They've been using off the shelf, Happy meal-like, toys seemingly forever. Two of the toys in my Shrek still had batteries when I got the game NIB. Both still work today (when the game is unplugged) and are relatively spotless. People have been complaining about off the shelf toys being used on Stern's for years. It's one the haters biggest arguments. Now, they've finally made some really cool toys. But rather than celebrate Sparky, many choose instead to dwell on a broken fang or two. Very disappointing.

I didn't read all the posts, but I only see two confirmed broken fangs in this thread. Is that correct? The MET at PAGG likely got more than 400 plays over the 3 days it was there. It was played nonstop all 3 days. No broken fang. Clearly this isn't as bad as Mick on a stick, the Sandman plastic or the first AC/DC lightning bolts. All three of those broke much more early and often than these fangs. Relax folks.

#158 10 years ago

I know a third broken fang (same one as the OP). It is on the game on the left at Enchanted Castle. My guess is that this game has well over 1,000 plays.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Nope, no replies to my last couple of e-mails.

#160 10 years ago

seems like an easy fix...drill a tiny hole in both pieces, insert a metal dowel, super glue back together.

#161 10 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

seems like an easy fix...drill a tiny hole in both pieces, insert a metal dowel, super glue back together.

Do you suppose a root canal should be done before reinserting the tooth? You could end up with quite a pissed off snake!

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Do you suppose a root canal should be done before reinserting the tooth?

At least a little nova-caine.

#163 10 years ago

Its called a partial. Maybe Tomg_Wi can naswer is a DDS. hehehe. Lego horns is best option.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Do you suppose a root canal should be done before reinserting the tooth? You could end up with quite a pissed off snake!

That's why the drill is used!

#165 10 years ago

That's why the drill is used!

Sooooooo..............Yes then. I think this problem is solved! I'm gonna go play some snake free pinball now. Woot Woot!

#166 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Nope, no replies to my last couple of e-mails.

Try calling their support number and ask for Patrick.

IMHO and experience, they do much better with phone than with email.

#167 10 years ago

Hope my insurance covers...

snake_braces[1].jpgsnake_braces[1].jpg

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Stick the tooth under your pillow. Maybe in the morning you will find some money. If you are lucky it will be enough to buy a new plastic snake head. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.

Just make sure to sleep with one eye open...gripping your pillow tight.

#169 10 years ago

looks like chaz is telling me to go pound sand so far

I am having a problem with my snake mech though, and still have to talk to Patrick. Hopefully some good comes of this.

#170 10 years ago

You must've hit the snake tooth pretty hard. That's disappointing!

#171 10 years ago

I wonder what the snake would look like with rubber post rings around his fangs...

#172 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I wonder what the snake would look like with rubber post rings around his fangs...

Like most kids did in the 7th grade.

#173 10 years ago

My buddy and I played the Metallica at Enchanted Castle in Chicago. The one on the left had a broken tooth, but that didn't keep us from having a BLAST and running $30 through it over 2 days!

That game is the shizzle - and I don't care if the snake winds up gumming the ball!

#174 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

When I get my MOPLE I'm gonna make sure I brush my snake's teeth twice per day and floss daily.

Metallica LE snakes don't have fangs. They are basically filed down. You can see the white, but no fang protrudes.

#175 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I heard the new production games will be fang less

Confirmed,no fangs on the LEs or premiums ..

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

People have been complaining about off the shelf toys being used on Stern's for years. It's one the haters biggest arguments. Now, they've finally made some really cool toys. But rather than celebrate Sparky, many choose instead to dwell on a broken fang or two. Very disappointing.

I could not disagree with you more. No free pass here if your going to design toys for machines this costly and you've been in the pin making business for decades you owe it to customers to get it right. I like the fact that they are trying to design unique toys but its crucial to get it right.

If a pinheads dropping 4500 plus on a new pin a prominent toy should not break within the first week. And if your claiming it is not a wide spread issue then why have they changed the design for the LE and Premiums? Sterns been doing this long enough to know better then to design the snake in that manner. To say it shouldn't be disappointing to those putting hard earned money on the table is a bit curious to me. To each their own I though as always.

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Now, they've finally made some really cool toys. But rather than celebrate Sparky, many choose instead to dwell on a broken fang or two. Very disappointing.

I'm guessing you don't have a horse in this race. I enjoy the game, but the snake head breaking on day 6; and my snake mechanism acting unusual is justifiable cause for concern as an owner. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

#178 10 years ago

And if your claiming it is not a wide spread issue then why have they changed the design for the LE and Premiums?

I didn't claim it's not a wide spread issue. I asked if there was any other than the two mentioned in this thread. The outrage seems a little disproportionate to the actual problem.

Sterns been doing this long enough to know better then to design the snake in that manner.

Making custom toys? I'm having a hard time thinking of any custom toys they've used lately prior to MET. And after thinking about it, I'm not even sure the snake head is a custom made toy. It would make a lot more sense if they did get the snake head cheap from a supplier.

To say it shouldn't be disappointing to those putting hard earned money on the table is a bit curious to me.

Again, I didn't say it shouldn't be disappointing. What I found disappointing was the outrage from so many non-owners over a minor cosmetic issue. 1 broken fang, 177 posts. Talk about overkill.

#179 10 years ago

Lol okay whatever dude they've been at it a long time this was kind of a rookie mistake. When owners that spend thousands on a pin simply say it shouldn't happen it's overkill And they did custom toys on X-Men as well which had issues of their own so not their first go at it. I'm glad Stern is fixing the issue on future releases thanks to customers voicing their concerns. I can save everyone the back and forth once your done just go back up to this post and read my next sentence. I still disagree with you.
Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited to keep the peace nothing personal .

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

I'm guessing you don't have a horse in this race. I enjoy the game, but the snake head breaking on day 6; and my snake mechanism acting unusual is justifiable cause for concern as an owner. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

If your snake mech is having issues, that's a legit concern. It's under warranty and should be fixed. Do you have a call or email in for that? A broken fang however is not worth losing sleep over IMO. Cut the other fang off and be done with it.

#181 10 years ago

This thread has too many posts. All for a measly toof.
Anyway, it was good reading so
fangs for the memories.

#182 10 years ago

Seems like you always insist on getting in the last word on any disagreement so have at it.

Seems like you insist on disagreeing with me. Have we ever met?

I let you have the last word on the last one btw.

#183 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

If your snake mech is having issues, that's a legit concern. It's under warranty and should be fixed. Do you have a call or email in for that? A broken fang however is not worth losing sleep over IMO. Cut the other fang off and be done with it.

I have talked to tech support about the mech problem. (the tongue sticks up and stays that way when a ball enters the scoop a fair amount of the time, instead of dropping after a ball enters - causes issues during multiball like the tongue getting bashed and it is starting to show symptoms of wear where the balls hit it on the raised tip during 4-ball multiball when things are chaotic)

They recommended:

1. Loosening the lower jaw screws (did that, did not improve it, tongue still sticks in the up position. Before I did this, sometimes weak shots would actually hang at the back of the 'tongue'). The binding is happening on the metal assembly.

2. Bearing with it and allowing it to break in. I didn't see any other posts about this problem so far. I don't know about this. Seems like if it hasn't broken in a bit during 200 plays it probably isn't going to get massively better by 400.

3. Taking the mech apart and out of the game, then bending the lower jaw slightly outwards with some pliers.

I don't really want to do the last two, since #2 doesn't seem like it will work after trying #1 and not seeing a real improvement. I don't want to do #3 because it's a brand new part and should not be behaving that way; it did this right out of the box, i only clued in after multiple plays. I think it's possible the tongue may have been sticking 'up' when the tooth broke off, there are chips out of the front edge of it from balls whacking it when it's stuck up. I've examined it today and it seems like a sensitive mechanism.

I am going to have to call back and see if I can get a replacement, I'd rather not risk ruining the mech and being liable for repair costs; it's already messed up and I've barely done anything to it other than adjust a couple of screws as advised.

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

2. Bearing with it and allowing it to break in. I didn't see any other posts about this problem so far. I don't know about this. Seems like if it hasn't broken in a bit during 200 plays it probably isn't going to get massively better by 400.

Don't rule this out. I played one on location today that was rejecting shots from the drop targets badly when it was new. Today, a couple of weeks later, they were fine. The op did some tweaking, but I think more plays definitely helped.

Quoted from SteveP3:

I am going to have to call back and see if I can get a replacement, I'd rather not risk ruining the mech and being liable for repair costs; it's already messed up and I've barely done anything to it other than adjust a couple of screws as advised.

That sounds like the best plan. FWIW, on the three I've played on location, the snake heads have all worked properly. Can't say how exactly they worked as I didn't look close. With new parts, I like your chances of getting it working properly.

#185 10 years ago

Yeah my drops have improved a little bit during the break-in (really quick solid shots still give them some trouble), but they are resetting somewhat randomly. I have been offered a fix for this already and it is pending shipping. The snake mech is a different beast, it has not really changed. I've done the adjustment this afternoon, and I could be wrong but it almost seems like the tongue jams even more often now.

I have noticed in the videos I have watched that the tongue part does not appear to jam in the up position, so I'm leaning towards 'something is not quite right'. Keeping my fingers crossed something can be done rather than me accidentally obliterating a new part.

#186 10 years ago

Errbody says a broken tooth is no big deal but try to put one of these bitches up for sale here and it will be the first thing people harp on "the Snake's tooth is broken! That's a $1000 off right there!!! Let's not even get into the sphinchter wear"

#187 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Seems like you insist on disagreeing with me. Have we ever met?
I let you have the last word on the last one btw.

You are right I edited the post as that comment was inappropriate. We disagree and past frustrations with some games right out of the box on my own and friends NIB pins is the reason I got a bit defensive. However, there was no need to get personal about it and I apologize for that. I don't think we've met and if we did we did not associate the face to a screen name.

#188 10 years ago

I believe I've fixed my snake tongue. So far so good. Will beat on it some more over the weekend. I have sent my solution to Stern, it differed a bit from what they recommended but seems to be working excellently. Takes some time to do, but I'm quite pleased with the result. The tongue is very 'floppy' now as opposed to getting stuck in the up position.

#189 10 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Errbody says a broken tooth is no big deal but try to put one of these bitches up for sale here and it will be the first thing people harp on "the Snake's tooth is broken! That's a $1000 off right there!!! Let's not even get into the sphinchter wear"

+1 for using errrrbody & having a Twin Peaks garmonbozia avatar

#190 10 years ago
Quoted from Bearded_Warrior:

Just make sure to sleep with one eye open...gripping your pillow tight.

Awesome!

#191 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

I believe I've fixed my snake tongue. So far so good. Will beat on it some more over the weekend. I have sent my solution to Stern, it differed a bit from what they recommended but seems to be working excellently. Takes some time to do, but I'm quite pleased with the result. The tongue is very 'floppy' now as opposed to getting stuck in the up position.

What was your solution? It might me good to know once I get my machine...

#192 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What was your solution? It might me good to know once I get my machine...

I e-mailed a guide in to Chas and Patrick at Stern technical support for them to use if they needed it based on the problem I had (metal tongue binding on metal jaw, staying stuck 'up') - best to call them, they may have suggestions that are not what I did. They also may not recommend doing what I did for all I know. They did pass the info along though to John Borg (which is why I suggest calling them if you have a problem, John and/or Rob may have figured out a better solution). They've been really helpful, I've been very pleased with them and their service.

If you have problems and they are unable to help, PM me.

#193 10 years ago

I'm curious why they didn't mold it out of a stiff but flexible plastic, like they did with the figurines on Spider-man (which were also 100% custom made for Stern - notice all the sticky-out bits on Doc Oc, and they're never broken).

#194 10 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Truth

1 week later
#195 10 years ago

Anyone have a close photo of the LE snake? I also read that owners couldn't figure out how to remove the snake head at all. Anyone have any luck with this?

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from callmesteam:

Anyone have a close photo of the LE snake? I also read that owners couldn't figure out how to remove the snake head at all. Anyone have any luck with this?

I can't help with the LE snake, but on the PRO there is :

-A screw underneath the roof of the snake's mouth going up into the head (inside the top of the scoop).
-A screw near the rear of the head, on top.
-A screw on the back of the head; lower rear (the 'neck'). Cannot be accessed without taking the mech out, or maybe disassembling all the plastics etc from the rear of the snake area. Easier to take the mech out.

I'm guessing the top of the head mounting is fairly similar for the LE?

#197 10 years ago

Agree with drilling a small hole in both pieces, except use a small expansion spring that will flex when hit. Install with a bit of that hot glue from the craft stores; If the spring breaks from too many flexes over time, then put the hair dryer to the old glue, pull out the broken spring and replace with a new one.

You know: Like the springs used to mount hood emblems to cars such as Jags and Buicks.

#198 10 years ago

The LE I played yesterday had a toothless snake out of the box. Looks like the headache free route for them to go.

1 week later
#199 10 years ago

Im hoping to be able to at least paint the area where the fangs were cut off white to appear like fangs.

#200 10 years ago

Has anyone ever felt a pinball? Has anyone ever watched a pinball get whapped by a flipper? I'm surprised more crap don't break more often with the weight of a pinball flying around plastic stuff. How many Freddy Nightmares have more then 1 blade on the hand after 40 games?????

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.00
$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/well-my-snake-tooth-broke/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.