48.jpg
rubber-rattlesnake-fangs.jpg
IMG_20130603_063728.jpg
th-12.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Crotalus-atrox-040110-San-Antonio-Mar.jpeg
Broken_Snake_Tooth.jpg
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago

Consider it a badge of honor. Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks lost 7 teeth on ONE PLAY in the 2010 Playoffs. He didn't bitch about it. He was back in the game in less than 10 minutes. Get back in the game. Get your teeth fixed in the off-season. SMP_9546.jpgSMP_9546.jpg

#102 10 years ago

I think it's more of the same quality issues from Stern. Love my SM, but it feels less quality than any B/W pin I own or have owned.

#103 10 years ago

I plan on installing lubricated condoms to cover my snake teeth.
I think the extra rubber and lube will keep things safe and smooth.

Oh and btw, if you are considering buying a NIB, be aware that your playfield WILL dimple.
BUYER BEWARE

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from BlindVoyeur:

I was talking about this issue with a friend who wants to get a Met but is worried about this very issue.

Wow...

It's a plastic snake head over a scoop. Unlike the Freddy glove, this has nothing to do with gameplay. If he came from the factory with no teeth, no one would even care. If you call or Email Stern, I'm sure they'll send you a new one. Put some clear epoxy on the teeth of the new one and call it a day.

#105 10 years ago

Has the op contacted stern yet? Anxious to see what they say.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

Anxious to see what they say.

Probably the same thing they said when they ran out of LEs.

#107 10 years ago

I've had it with these mother fu@kin' snakes, on these mother fu@kin' games!

#108 10 years ago

Anyone have their 555's pop out on the Metallica yet? I've seen it happen, that's pretty bad...

#109 10 years ago

Do you think Stern will send me my new snake on a plane?

#110 10 years ago

Having just watched Clay's Avengers video for the first time, all I can think is, buyer beware. I love my Avengers, and I disagree that it "feels cheap". When I play it it feels fine. Tight, smooth and solid. I don't really care if a piece of plastic wobbles a little after a relatively heavy steel ball hits it. It seems logical that it could. Maybe it shouldn't though...and so...

What now really bothers me are the three pages of Stern quality issues Clay cites at the end of the video. As a new (recent, first time) buyer of NIB machines I'm concerned. From the gauge of the wire to the quality of some of the assemblies to the seeming carelessness (negligence?) of some electronics decisions...I think it's clear that Stern is on the edge of making truly faulty machines and until people stop buying these games upon their initial availability Stern will not rectify these issues. If they cannot stay in business delivering a product with higher quality components - I mean, the wiring issue is pathetic, shame on them - then that is a larger issue and buyers can base their purchasing decisions on that reality. If they can, then the market has to vote with their wallets.

I really was interested in MET and looking forward to Star Trek as possible acquisitions...but maybe ill pass in the hopes that others will too in the name of Stern improving the quality of their components...not just their play testing. It will only get worse until the market demands it get better. Its a hard decision to make in what feels like a fresh era for pinball....but i dont want shitty wiring creating frequent - and potentially confusing - problems with my game. What a bummer.

#111 10 years ago

I'm curious as to why this wasn't found out to be a problem during the testing process...seems like a huge oversight IMO.....

Doc

#112 10 years ago

I say we get lawyered up and file a class action suit regarding this whole snake thing!! It is completely ridiculous that even though it does not affect game play one iota, I might have to look at a broken piece of plastic and just have my world crash down upon me at the very sight of such obvious negligence!!! This could possibly rise to a criminal count if someone freaks out enough to hurt another human over such an oversight! We must have justice, FOR ALL!

/sarcasm off Relax people, its a piece of plastic no longer that 1/2 inch long. If you are really that worried about it, I would hate to see you react when something actually matters.

Im simply going to buy a spare, crack both teeth off in due time with gameplay and when i go to sell it, if I do, will replace it. Easy peasy..

#113 10 years ago

I've sent an e-mail to Patrick @ Stern about the tooth, ball hangups in the snake mech. I had sent an e-mail last week about the drop targets randomly resetting and provided my info but I did not hear back yet. I'm guessing he's fairly busy since the game just came out.

Edit - Does anyone have a game without the snake teeth ( from the factory )? Or confirmation that the new heads won't have teeth?

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from Doc:

I'm curious as to why this wasn't found out to be a problem during the testing process...

Seems like a lot of us have wondered about this from the start. I understand that it is not a huge problem, but why have an easily preventable problem at all?

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

your playfield WILL dimple.
BUYER BEWARE

I hope someone points it out in their comment section.

#116 10 years ago

Has this happened to other met machines, or just to OP...possibly just a random bad casting? I will grab my torch and pitchfork with the rest of you if needed but need some convincing first

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Has this happened to other met machines, or just to OP...possibly just a random bad casting? I will grab my torch and pitchfork with the rest of you if needed but need some convincing first

Hasnt happened to my game yet but I full expect it to any day now.
I've felt the teeth with the glass off and there's no way they will last.
Especially during multiball and having multiple balls in the scoop.

It's merely a matter of time ... dun dun dun

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Yep. Happened to one up in Grand Rapids, Michigan to a game on location. The game is about 3 weeks old.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Yep. Happened to one up in Grand Rapids, Michigan to a game on location. The game is about 3 weeks old.

Guess i better start sharpening the pitchfork...

#120 10 years ago

How about applying GOOP to the fangs. The stuff is like rubber cement on steroids, its tough, yet bouncy and clear. I bet this would protect them. I've used it on fragile things before to make them tough.

#121 10 years ago

As seen in the OP's picture, the fangs hang down below the top of the scoop. So, a hit to a tooth, and the top of the scoop acts like a knife, severing the incisors.

A redesign of the top of the scoop where there are two reinforced metal "fangs" behind each rubber snake fang to at least keep the teeth from bending back and getting cut.

Or possibly running a full metal tab behind the teeth, But it would have to be pained black to keep it from looking like braces behind the teeth. Just a thought...

#122 10 years ago

You cannot buy extra snakes heads or sparky feet unless it is broken. Just found this out from my distributor. So I thought I would just buy backups and in this case I cannot.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

How about applying GOOP to the fangs. The stuff is like rubber cement on steroids, its tough, yet bouncy and clear. I bet this would protect them. I've used it on fragile things before to make them tough.

I agree, but it'd probably just be a matter of time before it just happens again. But regarding what others are saying about it not being a big deal-they very likely don't own this game. You can bet your living ass that if I was to shell out the kind of money that Stern thinks these are worth and I had a cosmetic failure with a month of owning, I'd be pissed.
I'm not a Stern hater (I don't feel I should even defend that statement) but this is the relatively minor kind of stuff that gives that gives a bad rep to a company. Sterns to me have always had a 'cheap' feel to them. I've owned LOTR, AP, RBION and TSPP and all of them had the same feel to me. Not saying they weren't fun games (well, maybe AP) but they really need to step up to the plate and make a 7k machine feel like a 7k machine. Just my .02

Doc

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Schudel5 is correct. And when it broke, it got lodged in the right inlane where the gap in the wood is and was holding up balls. The left snake tooth actually broke from a ball hitting it from the front, not from the Snake kicking it out.

That same machine also had the opto receiver in front of Sparky go bad and the display has a faint vertical line lit up from top to bottom on the right hand side. These two issues happened within 2 weeks of it being on location.

I will say that Stern has been really good about sending out replacement parts with no hassles or hoops to jump thru.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

You cannot buy extra snakes heads or sparky feet unless it is broken. Just found this out from my distributor. So I thought I would just buy backups and in this case I cannot.

That is pretty lame IMO. If Stern releases a pin in which a Toy is very likely to break eventually then the least they could do is allow Pinheads spending thousands on their product to buy back ups.

#126 10 years ago

Get a 15$ whole rubber snake and start cuttin' .

rubber-rattlesnake-fangs.jpgrubber-rattlesnake-fangs.jpg

http://www.zymetrical.com/rubber-yellow-rattlesnake-p-1456.html

#127 10 years ago

I would agree with most that a month in this type of thing is a bummer when it happens. Can any owners tell me if you can raise the head. I know it changes the look but what if you raised the front of the head so the fangs don't hang into the scoop area this would both fix the issue without ruining the look of the snake hole.

Not sure how the head is attached but some plastic spacers could be made to add some space up front if there are any screw holes or posts.

chris

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Edit - Does anyone have a game without the snake teeth ( from the factory )? Or confirmation that the new heads won't have teeth?

I think that post was sarcasm. Snakes will have fangs.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

That is pretty lame IMO. If Stern releases a pin in which a Toy is very likely to break eventually then the least they could do is allow Pinheads spending thousands on their product to buy back ups.

And to take it further, they should also let us buy the Dirty Donny translite to put on the Road Case version if we so choose.

#129 10 years ago

I don't understand why they didn't just make the teeth a single length plate with the fangs molded into it instead of hanging down on their own. You know? If anyone bitched that it didn't look as cool Stern could have just said, "We had to make it a single plate or the teeth would have broken off in a month" and every one would have said, "Oh, that makes sense."

#130 10 years ago

I think what you are seeing is the reaction by Stern where mod makers are buying up the spare parts availability. Notice how when a mod gets going, all of a sudden the availability of a part dries up? In part because there is limited availability in general... but I think they are trying to protect the market from being sucked dry for mods.. instead of actual replacement parts.

#131 10 years ago

Now does that mean you have to send in your old snake head with a busted tooth to get a new one? I would just soon leave it broke and keep a good one for when/if i sell down the road

#132 10 years ago

You're still in better shape than this guy. 48.jpg48.jpg

#133 10 years ago

Honestly, just break both teeth off and be done with it.

You guys are acting like it's the Hubble Telescope or something.

Just like your new car, it's going to get a scratch on it somehow.....

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You guys are acting like it's the Hubble Telescope or something.

I disagree toys on pinball machines should be designed to last especially ones that are that noticeable. After spending 4K+ on a pin and having a toy break after a week is just unacceptable IMO. As others have mentioned designing the toy a bit better would of prevented this from happening. Saying let it go only encourages poor toy design.

#135 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

And remember to protect the snake that matters.

#136 10 years ago

After spending 4K+ on a pin and having a toy break after a week is just unacceptable IMO

Well said!

#137 10 years ago

With some creativity you could probably make these work.

legofang.jpglegofang.jpg

#138 10 years ago

Or you could use these. Here is a side by side comparison as well

fangsm.jpgfangsm.jpg fangside.jpgfangside.jpg

#139 10 years ago

I disagree toys on pinball machines should be designed to last especially ones that are that noticeable.

49.jpg49.jpg

#140 10 years ago

yea, looks like it stopped people from liking MB, when Dracs feet would break off as soon as you bought the machine. Pretty much the same thing here.

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea, looks like it stopped people from liking MB, when Dracs feet would break off as soon as you bought the machine. Pretty much the same thing here.

Exactly.

I quit liking MM because the wings would always break off the dragon.

I quit liking WH2O because the bulb would always break in front of Bigfoot (or the paper thin mountains would crack within a day).

I hate CFBL because they did not design the hologram to last forever.

I quit liking Space Shuttle because the wings would always crack on the rear of the shuttle.

I quit liking TOM because the corner of the trunk keeps breaking off.

#142 10 years ago

In fact, I don't like any pinball because the slingshot plastics sometimes break THE VERY FIRST DAY!

Don't encourage crappy pinball design; boycott ANY pin that has breakable plastic over the slingshots.

#143 10 years ago

Damn. The car Walter destroys would make an epic bash toy. Every time the ball hits it would call one of four variations on, "Do you see what happens Larry?" Plus, then, when the fucking thing broke it would just look better.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Stern could have just said, "We had to make it a single plate or the teeth would have broken off in a month" and every one would have said, "Oh, that makes sense." "CHEAP STERN. GIVE US SINGLE TEETH!!!"

Fixed that for drama.

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

WOZ is also dealing with its only problems on location where it has been some technical problems.
First time the GI went out during game play the second time the VUK to the castle stopped working and there still seemed to be some slowing down of the animations during game play even after the major hardware/software update.
Metallica and WOZ will have their problems and they will work it out on both sides. The most important thing to do is let Stern and JJP know what is happening to their games so they can address it.

That's a beta game. There are no slowdowns in animations on any prod games. You are not playing a production woz.

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Yeah, having played both side by side, WOZ *feels* better made, yet thus far with my experiences with WOZ, it always seems like it's breaking, just not in cosmetic ways (though I have seen plenty of dimpling in the clear coat). Every time I have watched a WOZ at the end of a long night of location play (at tpf, and at joystix) I have always seen something go wrong in a big way. The LCD graphics always seem to get slow and stutters as the night goes on, I've seen tons of problems with GI and even insert lighting going bad, and this last Friday, the vuk died so rescue wasn't working. For reference, joystix only "operates" it's pins for the general public 2 Fridays a month from 9p-2a, so that's less than half a dozen route days for the machine so far.
Again, build quality *feels* great, but even with that they have issues to work out. Hopefully the manufacturers or the market will provide solutions to these issues, but one would hope QA would improve to the point where these machines ship without these issues.

Neither one of those are prod games. In fact they are ancient and using an old antiquated board set not powerful enough to handle the latest code base. Prod games don't skip.

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think that post was sarcasm. Snakes will have fangs.

And to take it further, they should also let us buy the Dirty Donny translite to put on the Road Case version if we so choose.

No kidding. If they want to make the DD an LE, than make it an LE, but restricting sales of the translite doesn't make any sense at all. Don't they understand that this is like free money to them?

#148 10 years ago

Take it to this guy...he's good!

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

WOZ is also dealing with its only problems on location where it has been some technical problems.
First time the GI went out during game play the second time the VUK to the castle stopped working and there still seemed to be some slowing down of the animations during game play even after the major hardware/software update.
Metallica and WOZ will have their problems and they will work it out on both sides. The most important thing to do is let Stern and JJP know what is happening to their games so they can address it.

HOLY CRAP! Someone said something worthwhile on Pinside. Won't last.

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

That's a beta game. There are no slowdowns in animations on any prod games. You are not playing a production woz.

I totally understand this issue. But man, these beta games are still out there, and they're the impression setters. That's what was at PAGG. I realize the logistics are what they are, but it's a pity JJP can't swap them out for real machines or something so people stop seeing them.

As for the tooth ... plastics break, that's pinball. But that doesn't really excuse Stern from designing something that's basically guaranteed to break in an ugly fashion right away. It's a 555 in the GI kind of stupid call, that's all there is to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 149.00
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,600 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/well-my-snake-tooth-broke/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.