(Topic ID: 68381)

Well, I finally got my WOZ and my thoughts.

By Indypin

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Hitch9
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I was super excited to get my WOZ. Well, after over 2 1/2 year of waiting, Monday morning around 9:45 am couldn't come sooner because the baby was finally delivered to my household. So many readings on pinside, countless Youtube watchings, articles, concerns, worries, regrets, and the feeling of nervousness not knowing if I would get my pin or money back finally laid to rest when I saw the R & L truck pull in front of my house. Upon opening the truck I could see the Jersey Jack emblem smiling at me from the box. At last, my wait is over.

Okay, I'm not going to bore you anymore with stories about every detail, but I gotta admit (as said a thousand times before in other pinside threads) this pin is a beauty and could only be appreciated in plain sight. I was concerned about the WOZ music playing over and over in my head but, you know what, you really don't notice it. The gameplay is fantastic and the flippers are strong. The new code is awesome with the new rules, modes, shots, animations, and it just ROCKS! Love the ball saves and we wore poor Toto out! LOL Very ingenious! We finally finished setting up the pin around 10:30 am and we didn't finish playing it until 11:00 that night. I can't put in mere words how glad I am I decided to wait out the storm and passed on numerous occasions to sell the pin for a flashy Stern I could have right now (not bashing Stern, because I own several of them and love them) This pin just looks and plays like no other. Had to do a couple of tweeks on the pin to get it working right (not JJ's fault, probably the shaking from the shippers, who were fantastic and cordial) A call to Lloyd helped out tremendously, so thanks Lloyd. To the guys still waiting, stay the course because it's well worth it. This pin is the future of pinball and it looks and plays it. The standard has been set, so let's see what happens next!

And lastly, a personal note to Jack. You hit it out of the ballpark kid! I know at times certain pinsiders may have ruffled your feathers a little but look at it like this. You were a grade A student and loved by your parents (us pinball players), but your parents were constantly jumping on you to keep that grade up and always stay there. You probably felt un-appreciated for the work you were doing but knew you were doing it the right way, but you couldn't show your parents the fruits of your work until we got to see the test papers at the end of the semester. You finally get to see that enjoyment when you see the big smile on your parents face when they see that test score and no, I'm not going to hang my WOZ on my refrigerator door. LOL So, thanks!

In closing, I just want to say thanks JJ, Lloyd, Alex, and the rest of the team at JJ. You're on the right track so keep that train going. Also, a special thanks to my pinball buddies Marcus, Jason, Patrick,and Garry for helping me breaking in the fun for WOZ. My wife already told me WOZ is her baby!

#2 10 years ago

Congrats!

#3 10 years ago

Congrats on getting your WOZ! Nice thoughts on the game too. Just think the game is already this good and we still have two wizard modes coming.

Can't wait to get my game this week as well!

#4 10 years ago

Congratulations!!! I'm getting mine tomorrow, and I'm going crazy with excitement about it. It sounds like they are really moving them now.

#5 10 years ago

Congrats...

It looks like I still have about 2 months before I'll be able to enjoy mine.

Boy, this wait is tough.

#6 10 years ago

Congrats!! Glad you and your family are enjoying it!

#7 10 years ago

Awesome Scary!

#8 10 years ago

Excellent. One thing I don't see commented on much (it's usually build quality, lcd sreen, cool modes, etc.) is that the playfield shoots around very nicely. Lots of stuff to shoot at with every shot, real variety in targets (ramp, side spinner, curved rainbow standups, drop target/vuk, thru-the-pops orbit, tight witch target, side wizard saucer, behind-the-upper-flipper collect shot, rollover buttons, etc.) plus the mini-playfields. SO much more than 2-3 ramps, a couple of orbits and a toy or 2....

And I'm surprised at how many shots can be backhanded, like the witch, rainbow standups, crystal ball spinner, HOADC collect, ramp, winkie drop target, etc.

Yeah, this game hits a new high-water level in pinball, imo.

#9 10 years ago

Congrats! Are we going to see a Youtube video review soon?

#10 10 years ago

I'm happy to drive down from lafayette to help test it,out with you.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

Congrats! Are we going to see a Youtube video review soon?

Going to try to film it, but it's nearly impossible to get the IPad to convert the film over to YouTube for some reason. I tried switching my accounts and everything. Going to keep trying though!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I'm happy to drive down from lafayette to help test it,out with you.

Having a get together next Saturday, so come on by if you want to try it out!

#13 10 years ago

Get the app called YouTube capture it's awesome

#14 10 years ago

Great post! Fun to read. And congratulations!

I can't wait to get mine. Same boat as you, a 2 1/2 year wait. Almost bought into the negativity train and considered selling. Glad I didn't!

#15 10 years ago

Congrats,

I backed out of my order, had too many other pins in progress. But I am super glad that it sounds like it will be a big hit. Hopefully a modern day TZ.

I never understood why any of the JJP vs Stern vs B/W debate became so heated in the first place. I mean the best outcome is for more great pinball machines to be sold by several different manufacturers.

#16 10 years ago

yay Larry finally! Congrats and glad you love it. What a rollercoaster ride but you are now on high! Good things come to those that wait

#17 10 years ago

Congrats on your new arrival! The longer you have it the more you will love it.

#18 10 years ago

Great positive post. Thumbs up!

#19 10 years ago

Congrats, and welcome to the land of.......the machine freakin smokes, I have a hard time going to my other ones anymore....truly an awesome game!!!

#20 10 years ago

Congratulations!

#21 10 years ago

I backed out a year ago on a presale 6500 LE order. Doohhhh!

I played it at IAAPA show. The stereo sound with headphone jack is awesome. And on the diagnostic menu is amazing on the LCD. Cabinet is super nice.

I heard its a heavy sob.

#22 10 years ago

Congrats! Though I simply bought my LE for a premium price and had it delivered in a week (and so did not go through the wait but did pay $8700) I am in line for a Hobbit LE so I get to do some waiting this time around. I think this pin is very well thought out. The witch kicks my butt. I'd have to say this is the hardest pin in my collection which is something I was not anticipating.

It will be interesting to see how the code continues to develop. Even that s a fun aspect of this pin...every few weeks or so we get more to do.

I'm also really interested to see when Jack announces his next pin after Hobbit.

Anyhow, I ramble and stray from your main topic. Again, congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

#23 10 years ago

Congrats!

Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Congrats! Though I simply bought my LE for a premium price and had it delivered in a week (and so did not go through the wait but did pay $8700) I am in line for a Hobbit LE so I get to do some waiting this time around. I think this pin is very well thought out. The witch kicks my butt. I'd have to say this is the hardest pin in my collection which is something I was not anticipating.
It will be interesting to see how the code continues to develop. Even that s a fun aspect of this pin...every few weeks or so we get more to do.
I'm also really interested to see when Jack announces his next pin after Hobbit.
Anyhow, I ramble and stray from your main topic. Again, congrats and enjoy the heck out of it!

I also am not having to wait long as I bought mine 2nd hand about 2 months ago, I am not in line for the hobbit (just doesnt do it theme wise for me)but also looking forward to JJP's 3rd pin, thank you again volunteerpin for the WOZ advice.

#24 10 years ago

Congrats Larry! Glad you are happy with the game! I can't wait to play her!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

And I'm surprised at how many shots can be backhanded, like the witch, rainbow standups, crystal ball spinner, HOADC collect, ramp, winkie drop target, etc.
Yeah, this game hits a new high-water level in pinball, imo.

Yeah.... cringe worthy statement here. WOZ is a beautiful pin and has many advantages over recent STERN pins but neither flippers nor Backhanded shots are one of them. Not bashing WOZ because I own it and enjoy it but gotta be honest, Stern flippers and back handed shots are their specialty and JJP flippers don't have quite the snap that STERN provides. Sorry, just being honest.

#26 10 years ago

For those that bought a WOZ directly from JJP how long after the game was shipped did the shipping company contact you? My game shipped out yesterday, I paid for shipping online but the carrier has yet to contact me.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Going to try to film it, but it's nearly impossible to get the IPad to convert the film over to YouTube for some reason. I tried switching my accounts and everything. Going to keep trying though!

Connect the iPad to your PC and copy the MOV file to your hard drive (it will appear as a camera/drive in My Computer). You may need iTunes installed for Windows to see it. Or if you want to go simpler download the free Wifi Photo Transfer app (yellow icon with a picture and waves above it) and transfer it to your PC over Wifi. It will be slower this way though. Either way once you save it just send it straight to YouTube, it will work. No need to edit. Also, after uploading if the camera is a bit shaky I would suggest enabling stabilization under the video edit options.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah.... cringe worthy statement here. WOZ is a beautiful pin and has many advantages over recent STERN pins but neither flippers nor Backhanded shots are one of them. Not bashing WOZ because I own it and enjoy it but gotta be honest, Stern flippers and back handed shots are their specialty and JJP flippers don't have quite the snap that STERN provides. Sorry, just being honest.

Williams flippers don't have the snap that Stern flippers do? *scratches head* Um, sorry, but no. Just turn the coil strength up on WOZ if you want powerful flippers. Of course you may break some plastics doing that.

#29 10 years ago

They both have snap, but Data East/Sega/Stern flippers just don't feel "right" to me. Is clunky the word?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

They both have snap, but Data East/Sega/Stern flippers just don't feel "right" to me. Is clunky the word?

A number of Sterns do not have a Hold winding in their flipper coil. They're using electronics to reduce the power to the coil when it reaches the end of stroke while a B/W switches over to the hold winding. It often makes a bit of a buzz when holding a Stern flipper up. I prefer the W/B design because you can adjust it for maximum stroke, tweaking the EOS switch out to almost the every end gives you quite a strong flip.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

Williams flippers don't have the snap that Stern flippers do? *scratches head* Um, sorry, but no. Just turn the coil strength up on WOZ if you want powerful flippers. Of course you may break some plastics doing that.

Agreed I love the flipper snap on WOZ I actually had to turn mine down! And sorry but IMHO Stern flippers have never held a candle to Williams flippers!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For those that bought a WOZ directly from JJP how long after the game was shipped did the shipping company contact you? My game shipped out yesterday, I paid for shipping online but the carrier has yet to contact me.

The tracking number should be on the shipping invoice, easy to track, should only take a few days where you are at......the moment you see its arrived call the terminal and set up a delivery time so they don't waste a day! GL and congrats

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Agreed I love the flipper snap on WOZ I actually had to turn mine down! And sorry but IMHO Stern flippers have never held a candle to Williams flippers!

For me it's the buzz. I can't STAND the buzz. Flip... BUZZZZ.. Flip... BUZZZZ

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

For me it's the buzz. I can't STAND the buzz. Flip... BUZZZZ.. Flip... BUZZZZ

What is this, 1970?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks guys! Come over and play it....honestly! I called JJ and it only took about (3) business days to have the pin delivered. Left on a Thursday and arrived on a Monday. Once I paid JJ for the shipping, I got a phone number to call R & L Carriers and they told me the exact date it would be delivered (although the time was a little off...no big deal because I got it earlier than expected) So give them a call and good luck!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What is this, 1970?

Not kidding..

Every stern I have owned does this to some degree. Its considered normal when I asked about it but that doesn't make it any less annoying. I could actually hear it over the game music.

#37 10 years ago

Why does it buzz? PWM on the flipper coil?

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Honestly I don't know Just the way the coils are made?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I think you're right on it being PWM. They're using a power triac to provide lower voltage to a single winding coil.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The shipping companies typically will not contact you until the game arrives at the final terminal. They also will not typically set up a delivery until it actually arrives at the terminal regardless of whether you contact them or not. Then, when it arrives at the terminal, they usually take a day or two to call you to set up delivery. As Ice said above, if you follow the tracking info, you can call them as soon as it arrives at the terminal and set up the earliest possible delivery.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

I think you're right on it being PWM. They're using a power triac to provide lower voltage to a single winding coil.

Ah! So switching the 50v line to provide ~9v DC?

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

(...) this pin is a beauty and could only be appreciated in plain sight. I was concerned about the WOZ music playing over and over in my head but, you know what, you really don't notice it. The gameplay is fantastic and the flippers are strong. The new code is awesome with the new rules, modes, shots, animations, and it just ROCKS! (...)

Agreed on a counts. My feelings exactly after playing this pin for the first time this week end - There was one LE and one regular Woz side-by-side during our pin festival: what an experience!
Congrats, it was worth the wait.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Yes, they use approximately a 1:10 duty cycle to keep the flippers up.

Quoted from vicjw66:

WOZ is a beautiful pin and has many advantages over recent STERN pins but neither flippers nor Backhanded shots are one of them.

I'm almost certain that flippers ship from the factory at around or less than 50% of available power. If this is an actual concern, I'd say you have plenty of room to find a sweet spot you'd like.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Cringe worthy? My statement was that I *can* make a lot of backhand shots on WOZ. And they have to be accurate. I do prefer the 'feel' of B/W and WOZ flippers to the harsher 'snap' of Stern flippers (although my LOTR and WPT flippers feel a bit mellower compared to flippers on more recent Sterns--a design change?). I don't like it when shots are "too easy" because the flippers are overpowering, so you can easily snap backhanded ramps all day. A backhand ramp shot should require precise timing and aim, imo.

On WOZ, if you want more 'snap' you can dial up the power, as someone mentioned above. I dialed mine down a bit (22 to 18)--I can still make all the shots easily, but ramp shots need to be pretty accurate. Adds to the challenge and skill needed.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Having a get together next Saturday, so come on by if you want to try it out!

I may just have to take you up on that kind offer...my girlfriend and I actually traveled up to grand rapids about an hour and a half past our lake house to play WoZ last weekend and just when walking in and watching someone else finish a game the ball somehow got launched and stuck on top of the shooter rod casing.....unfortunately no one working at the location that night had keys and the game was powered down. She was actually excited to play a game for once and it wasn't working. Again congrats.

#46 10 years ago

I've found that flipper buzz is generally caused by the coil stop. Sometimes it can be stopped simply by loosening the screws and readjusting slightly.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from GaryMartin:

WOZ flippers are fine and play just like the Williams flippers but the one advantage Stern has over everyone else is their flippers especially when making contact with the ball high up on the bat where backhands occur. Repeatedly backhanding the left ramp on AC/DC is easy with the Stern flippers and similar shots on WPC games are much harder to make with Williams flippers. Its not a question of power, (maybe quickness) it is hard to explain. I did turn up my right flipper coil power slightly and kept the left default. Its ok that Stern has the best flippers, kinda like Fords have the best rear ends.

#48 10 years ago

Whew....I suspect DanaSpicer might have something to say about the rear ends......( used to be a semi auto geek)....I would say Sterns flippers are different, but not better....I have and play them both......

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

WOZ flippers are fine and play just like the Williams flippers but the one advantage Stern has over everyone else is their flippers especially when making contact with the ball high up on the bat where backhands occur. Repeatedly backhanding the left ramp on AC/DC is easy with the Stern flippers and similar shots on WPC games are much harder to make with Williams flippers. Its not a question of power, (maybe quickness) it is hard to explain. I did turn up my right flipper coil power slightly and kept the left default. Its ok that Stern has the best flippers, kinda like Fords have the best rear ends.

Personally I prefer the JJP and B/W flippers. Easy is not always better. I don't enjoy the "feel" of stern flippers. When I go back to WOZ or older b/w games, I feel like I've just put on my most comfortable shoes. They just feel right. So for me I don't think the Sterns are "better".
Your car analogy is close however. Some people like Fords some people like Chevys.
We can agree to like different things. That's ok too.

#50 10 years ago

well put.......

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 16.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Stephenson, VA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/well-i-finally-got-my-woz-and-my-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.