IMG_0742.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG
100_2147.jpg
100_2146.jpg
100_2145.jpg
power_supply.JPG
vf3.jpg
smbfuses.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintastic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 11 years ago

A quick DMM guide for you.
http://www.ladyada.net/library/metertut/continuity.html
Click on the left side for the other tutorials. Definitely make sure the fuse is a slow blow, and if it is, start checking around for a short. Also, did you check the power supply voltages? What were they?

#34 11 years ago

J1 pins 1,4,5 = 12 volts in.
J1 pins 2,3,6 = ground.
J2 pins 1-8 = +5 volts.

#38 11 years ago

I guess I don't know where to start.

Dont worry about it. We all have to start somewhere. Look in the backbox. You'll see this huge heat sink. This is the power supply. The transformer is in the bottom of the cabinet. I put the red probe into pin one, ground probe on the ground strap. Mine actually reads 13V but I guess thats OK being that everything is working like it should. The white wires are ground wires and you can actually use the ground probe there if you like but I always go for a ground strap if I can. FYI, on yours, the ground straps are covered in a yellow plastic and there flat. Theres one coming up from the cabinet into the head on the bottom. Cabinet should have a ton of them here and there. Set your DMM to DC and you'll notice on the board beside the connector, theres numbers letting you know what pin # starts where. Mine actually does not have an incoming wire on J5, only on J1 and J4. Dont know what thats relevant to but my chart above is wrong on this one. Read all of them and see where your at. Im still thinking you have a dead short somewhere but getting a voltage reading is a start. Please look around in the cabinet for any thing out of the usual and loose or broken wires and such. Check under the PF and just do a top to bottom check for a possible short.

100_2145.jpg100_2145.jpg 100_2146.jpg100_2146.jpg 100_2147.jpg100_2147.jpg

#40 11 years ago

The connector Im showing is J1. What about J2? Are they all 5V? The DMD does come up and then blows the fuse?

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

And to check it you have to take at least one end out and if you do that you might as well replace them all.

viperrwk

That makes sense, the fuse blow culprit and the advice. You can get those here:
http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-116.asp
$1.00 for 20 of them.

#54 11 years ago

Thats definitely smoked but I really think that Viperrwk hit the proverbial nail on the head. Order one of those as well obviously but look into those other 1N4004 diodes as well.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Close ups of the board outside the system.
Are there replacement boards available? Or anyone recommend someone who can fix it?
Also, since I didn't do any work to anything in the backbox to start this whole thing, what could have caused this? Seems stuff like this is never coincidental. I don't want to do the repair work only to blow up the board again.

Wasnt the root cause of this dropping the bulb onto the transformer? Hard to tell what kind of havoc that could cause.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Don't suppose there's some sort of repro board like what Rotten Dog does?

Not that I'm aware of, but worth checking around for I suppose. If your not handy with a soldering iron, your making the right call by letting someone else repair for you. I love taking components off and soldering and such, but it does take some practice. Post back when you get the board repaired and installed.

#71 11 years ago

Nice! Congrats and have fun!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens
Toppers
$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pintastic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/well-i-did-it-i-totally-broke-my-smb?tu=pintastic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.