(Topic ID: 321441)

Well crap... Teen Daughter wrecked her car.

By uncivil_engineer

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dmacy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Applause2 copy.gif
    63B5BF4D-F98A-444A-9C52-300A6ED41846 (resized).jpeg
    E79A13B6-DE8B-41AC-B0D2-C5021EF3E886 (resized).jpeg
    FBC01BEE-24FD-48E6-8506-03B6B8512F5C (resized).jpeg
    20220715_142241 (resized).jpg
    20220713_115613 (resized).jpg
    crash (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F6E9F960-6435-446E-AEFE-FBEE6E445174 (resized).jpeg
    BAD428FD-0F2F-4DF7-8EFC-5BAC0FF27FDB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 1 year ago

I'm glad your daughter is OK. Mine is 17 and while she probably had 3 or 4 times the required hours on her permit, only got her license a couple months ago. Previous to then I'd supervised her on many hundreds, into low thousands of miles: letting her drive from here to her Junior STEM college at 75 miles a pop, plus to Chicago and Atlanta; lots of errands around town; when it finally snowed over winter break, we took the beater to an empty parking lot and I turned her loose in donutland to get a feel for what might/can/won't/surprise happen. Etc etc etc, and she always did well. And yet!

Some friends of ours had a 2009 Mazda5 that they let us have for $1000, needing another $1000+ in brake and suspension work, etc. A perfect first car - so I made her do the oil change, replace the front swaybar bushings, and the brakes to put some sweat equity into it. She eagerly did so (with my help of course).

She finally got a summer job, and barely 3 days after her first paycheck she came home from work in a panic that she'd made an "oops" and now something was wrong with the car. Well, long story short, she'd been spooked in probably the single worst and only place possible to drop a wheel off the road (as so many others have in this particular spot such that the edge has literally cumbled away) a couple blocks from home, and bent the inner rear wheel rim.

Thanks to the dashcam I'd installed for her sake (If you don't have one GET ONE), I totally understood her perspective: she tried to do the right thing and avoided what she thought was an oncoming vehicle cresting a hill on a curve and errantly into her lane. It actually didn't, but in the moment it looked possible, so she veered right in the one 18" span of road with absolutely no margin for error (seriously, not even a curb, shoulder, or runoff)... WHUMP.

Welcome to life, kid: your first paycheck, with a side of first fresh-served shit sandwich!

Anyway, funny story: apparently the Japanese don't fuck around and tolerate bullshit. Once we troubleshot the car and determined the rim was bent just enough to burp out air when it rolled over that spot, we proceeded to get the spare out so she could get to work the next morning. No big deal; I dug it out of the trunk and set it on the ground while she jacked up the car and removed the wheel. Only when it was time to put the spare on, did I flip it over, see the badge of honor that is a Mazda spare, and bust out laughing:

20220713_115613 (resized).jpg20220713_115613 (resized).jpg

Yeah, poor kid! She had to drive with that cone of shame while we figured out what to do, because it turns out that particular wheel style on the 2009 Mazda 5 was ONLY used on the Mazda5, and ONLY for 2009-2010! When's the last time you saw any Mazda5, let alone one so optioned? A new wheel would be $300 - her entire check - and arrive in two weeks.

So here is where I endorse the other posters who suggested the pick-and-pull route: we looked up the local yard (in Louisville) and saw they had two Mazda 5's. Only one was a candidate year, and no way to know what options it had or might be left. At any rate, my daughter opted to live with the Cone of Shame (we even had fun and painted the Crash-Test roundel design on it) until such time as she and I were both off work to head over there and take our chances...

....and boy, we got lucky! The candidate vehicle only had ONE wheel, but it was just what we needed. With a decent tire. And all for just $40!

20220715_142241 (resized).jpg20220715_142241 (resized).jpg

Anyway, my longwinded story here is just meant to illustrate that shit happens. But if you help your kids understand and take ownership of those situations, as a learning opportunity, they'll be better off for it. Hopefully. I mean, I'm still naïve enough to think that for my own sake, anyway...

At the very least, take this opportunity to get a dashcam (they're like $40 on Amazon) to keep them honest if nothing else, make them do some basic maintenance and repairs, and try the pick-and-pull route. They'll hopefully come to understand the value of a buck, circumstance, and work.

Good luck on the recovery!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/well-crap-teen-daughter-wrecked-her-car?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.