(Topic ID: 321441)

Well crap... Teen Daughter wrecked her car.

By uncivil_engineer

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dmacy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Applause2 copy.gif
    63B5BF4D-F98A-444A-9C52-300A6ED41846 (resized).jpeg
    E79A13B6-DE8B-41AC-B0D2-C5021EF3E886 (resized).jpeg
    FBC01BEE-24FD-48E6-8506-03B6B8512F5C (resized).jpeg
    20220715_142241 (resized).jpg
    20220713_115613 (resized).jpg
    crash (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F6E9F960-6435-446E-AEFE-FBEE6E445174 (resized).jpeg
    BAD428FD-0F2F-4DF7-8EFC-5BAC0FF27FDB (resized).jpeg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Well crap. I got the call yesterday from my Wife that my 16 year old daughter 'C' had been in an accident. After making sure everyone was alright, (and they are) I'm now dealing with the aftermath, including my insurance company, and what to do with her car.

I'm going to leave it up to the insurance companies to figure out who will pay for what, but I get the feeling my insurance company may end up paying for most of the damage to the other car given the nature of the accident. Luckily, we have plenty of insurance, and I don't think the other car had much damage. C's car has some minor but ugly damage. The driver side door will need to be re-skinned (or replaced) as well as the left front fender. At least her car is driveable for now.

We only carried liability on her car because it was a border line POS. Its a 2013 Hyundai Accent, and was doing well if it went two weeks without a CEL. We had to run super unleaded in it to get it to pass smog this year (the CELs were for a knock sensor that Ive replaced twice), and I was looking forward to the day in the not too distant future when I could take it down to Carmax and sell it.

I think if we had comprehensive coverage on the car it would be totaled, as the car was only worth perhaps $5,500 before the accident. I'm going to have to pay cash to get it fixed, so I am wondering if I should even bother fixing it and sell it as-is, or find a used door and fender and get the thing fixed?

Maybe she needs to drive with a dented up car for a few months to remind her to BE AWARE OF HER SURROUNDINGS!

#2 1 year ago

I'm glad your daughter is okay.

The car is a thing. And can be replaced. Everyday on the news you see way worse things you could be dealing with right now.

Go give her a hug and be thankful.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

I might suggest signing her up for a defensive driving course. Some are even just online courses that you can do at your own pace.

1) It may help reinforce good driving habits

2) It will reduce the insurance premium 10% for 3 years.

#4 1 year ago

My daughter recently got into an accident. She was at fault. Depending on the amount of damage, sometimes it's not worth it to get the insurance companies involved. They will definitely raise your rates, or in some cases, completely drop your insurance coverage for your daughter. I paid for the other driver's damage and fixed our own damage without involving our insurance company.

I only use insurance for extensive damage that is going to be very expensive, which hasn't happened yet. I also carry a high deductible of $1000-$2000. This method has saved me a lot of money throughout the years.

#5 1 year ago

As long as everyone is ok that's the most important thing. My dad crashed my pin hauler last week. Took a left turn too early and went right in to a telephone pole a block from his house. It sucks, I didn't have any collision included in my policy as its an older car. But he's ok and that's what is important.

#6 1 year ago

The only thing that matters is that she's OK. Unfortunately the only way to get experience is to make mistakes without mistakes she will never improve in her driving abilities.

#7 1 year ago

Let her live with dents for a while…it may reinforce her to pay more attention and become a better driver…make her show she can be responsible enough for a period of time that it’s worth it to fix or help her get another car. You would hate to fix or replace the car just to see her have another accident right away. Reinforce to her it was an accident and keep her confidence up…nothing worse than someone afraid to be behind the wheel.

Young drivers are inexperienced and do have a higher likelihood of an accident…plenty of experienced drivers that get complacent and have accidents too. Most important is no serious injuries of course.

With an older car it’s a tough call depending on the cost/trouble to repair it. My concern with kids driving is making sure the car is reliable….it’s a pain to get that call the car has broke down.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I might suggest signing her up for a defensive driving course. Some are even just online courses that you can do at your own pace.
    1) It may help reinforce good driving habits
    2) It will reduce the insurance premium 10% for 3 years.

I will look into this. Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 1 year ago

Must see photos of the Hyundai damage to give you an answer about if it is worth repairing.

#10 1 year ago

That sucks. If car is driveable leave as is. I have a friend that just fixed his daughter's car from one wreck before getting involved in another. Depending on the damage, you might be able to pop the dent out to look half decent.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Must see photos of the Hyundai damage to give you an answer about if it is worth repairing.

As requested…
    The door still opens and closes, but grinds a bit. I don't know if the door pillar is bent. Even if I had a door and fender, there is damage by the door plate that will need a body shop to fix.
    BAD428FD-0F2F-4DF7-8EFC-5BAC0FF27FDB (resized).jpegBAD428FD-0F2F-4DF7-8EFC-5BAC0FF27FDB (resized).jpeg
    F6E9F960-6435-446E-AEFE-FBEE6E445174 (resized).jpegF6E9F960-6435-446E-AEFE-FBEE6E445174 (resized).jpeg

#12 1 year ago

Well, there's always this repair option...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #13 1 year ago

I see a body shop in someone’s future. Sorry.

#14 1 year ago

The fender and door are bolt on pieces. The rocker panel is not so repairing that would be more difficult. It does not look like a total loss from the pictures.

#15 1 year ago

Thanks for the photos. Dang, that's a rough one. Not a great spot for damage. I would likely visit the local pick and pull junkyard to see if I could get a driver side fender and door. At least try locating and removing those items at the junkyard to see how difficult it is. If the unibody is smashed in at the bottom of the door like it looks, then it's got some problems. Bummer for sure.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks for the photos. Dang, that's a rough one. Not a great spot for damage. I would likely visit the local pick and pull junkyard to see if I could get a driver side fender and door. At least try locating and removing those items at the junkyard to see how difficult it is. If the unibody is smashed in at the bottom of the door like it looks, then it's got some problems. Bummer for sure.

I did check car-parts.com, and there is a local yard with a silver hatchback that could be a good door and fender donor. One of my friends put me onto a local guy who would do the rocker panel for cash. So it may be salvageable.

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, there's always this repair option...[quoted image]

... or this:
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I did check car-parts.com, and there is a local yard with a silver hatchback that could be a good door and fender donor. One of my friends put me onto a local guy who would do the rocker panel for cash. So it may be salvageable.

You're lucky if you found a car that recent to get parts from. Last time I went to the local scrap yard, most of the cars were 15 or more years old.

#20 1 year ago

As requested…
    The door still opens and closes, but grinds a bit. I don't know if the door pillar is bent. Even if I had a door and fender, there is damage by the door plate that will need a body shop to fix.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Roll out the fender edge with a dowel so the door opens without grinding and have her drive it just like that.

#21 1 year ago

As requested…
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

First of all, I'm glad your daughter is okay.

Secondly, I restore classic Porsches. This is a *really* bad spot for damage, and I'd be surprised if there's no frame damage. At the least, it's going to need to go on a frame machine to verify that it's not bent.

Don't **** around on this and keep driving it. Please especially don't let a kid drive it. There are a million things that could be damaged that could lead to a worse accident. Suspension, brakes. Hell, you could have a bearing lock up.

Think of it like a pinball machine. Neglected maintenance is how machines get routed. A car is an even more tightly set of integrated systems.

Frame damage = misalignment. Which means suspension not working right. Which can mean brakes not working well. Which means increased wear on every part of the system.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

You're lucky if you found a car that recent to get parts from. Last time I went to the local scrap yard, most of the cars were 15 or more years old.

This is definitely the way to go for Hyundai body panels.

#23 1 year ago

One of my kids never caused an accident. The other went through 3 front bumpers in ~4 years. Painted front bumpers are pretty cheap on Ebay BTW.

#24 1 year ago

My son was in a wreck about a week ago. Fortunately, he and my grand daughter are OK.

Can't say so much for the car.

crash (resized).jpgcrash (resized).jpg
    #25 1 year ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

My son was in a wreck about a week ago. Fortunately, he and my grand daughter are OK.
    [quoted image]

Sure glad he didn’t plow into a semi! That could have been a lot worse.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

[quoted image]

The frames are made to absorb energy in a accident. It looks like it did it's job admirably. I'm glad everyone is ok.

#27 1 year ago

You could put a used door and fender on it.
    Call around and try to get the right color if at all possible.
    This will save you the need to trim it out and to paint it at all.
    At that point you could do one of two things. Take it to a body shop and have them straighten the rocker panel or leave the rocker panel as is and sell with much less cosmetic damage than it has now.
    This scenario is only truly ideal if you can get the correct color used parts though.

#28 1 year ago

Probably not the best time to buy a used car right now. Plus teenagers tend to wreck cars, so if yours can be fixed up and is safe - that's what I would do.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

This is definitely the way to go for Hyundai body panels.

... if you can find one that is.

#30 1 year ago

The damage looks superficial, I'd say send it. Have a shop look at it for safety reasons if you feel the need, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine to drive. I've been in a million accidents, 99% not my fault. Last one was 70mph head on into a full size black bear. That damage looks very light, doubt there is any frame/unibody damage.

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

Took a left turn too early

Seems like an epidemic lately.
    People cutting their left turns. I've almost been hit head-on several times now approaching a stop sign at an intersection. People turning left into my lane. I see it all the time now.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Seems like an epidemic lately.
    People cutting their left turns. I've almost been hit head-on several times now approaching a stop sign at an intersection. People turning left into my lane. I see it all the time now.

My current "favorite" are the people who make an illegal U-turn at a light or intersection that has a sign that tells you NOT too! I've nearly been hit by people or hit someones car several times lately by people who do this shit! And it's at intersections where I have a right turn green arrow!

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

The damage looks superficial, I'd say send it. Have a shop look at it for safety reasons if you feel the need, but I'm sure it's perfectly fine to drive. I've been in a million accidents, 99% not my fault. Last one was 70mph head on into a full size black bear. That damage looks very light, doubt there is any frame/unibody damage.

The rocker panel damage looks cosmetic, all the heavy lifting is done by the inner heavier gauge rails.

If concerned, get a front end alignment and check the specs. If the alignment is fine, nothing important was disturbed.

She is 16 and it's a 2013 with issues already, I'd put as little money as possible in it because odds are something is going to happen again and if she has to drive around and be reminded of her mistake it might teach her caution. I have put three kids through cars, consider at least the first one a disposable vehicle before they learn.

#34 1 year ago

I'm glad your daughter is OK. Mine is 17 and while she probably had 3 or 4 times the required hours on her permit, only got her license a couple months ago. Previous to then I'd supervised her on many hundreds, into low thousands of miles: letting her drive from here to her Junior STEM college at 75 miles a pop, plus to Chicago and Atlanta; lots of errands around town; when it finally snowed over winter break, we took the beater to an empty parking lot and I turned her loose in donutland to get a feel for what might/can/won't/surprise happen. Etc etc etc, and she always did well. And yet!

Some friends of ours had a 2009 Mazda5 that they let us have for $1000, needing another $1000+ in brake and suspension work, etc. A perfect first car - so I made her do the oil change, replace the front swaybar bushings, and the brakes to put some sweat equity into it. She eagerly did so (with my help of course).

She finally got a summer job, and barely 3 days after her first paycheck she came home from work in a panic that she'd made an "oops" and now something was wrong with the car. Well, long story short, she'd been spooked in probably the single worst and only place possible to drop a wheel off the road (as so many others have in this particular spot such that the edge has literally cumbled away) a couple blocks from home, and bent the inner rear wheel rim.

Thanks to the dashcam I'd installed for her sake (If you don't have one GET ONE), I totally understood her perspective: she tried to do the right thing and avoided what she thought was an oncoming vehicle cresting a hill on a curve and errantly into her lane. It actually didn't, but in the moment it looked possible, so she veered right in the one 18" span of road with absolutely no margin for error (seriously, not even a curb, shoulder, or runoff)... WHUMP.

Welcome to life, kid: your first paycheck, with a side of first fresh-served shit sandwich!

Anyway, funny story: apparently the Japanese don't fuck around and tolerate bullshit. Once we troubleshot the car and determined the rim was bent just enough to burp out air when it rolled over that spot, we proceeded to get the spare out so she could get to work the next morning. No big deal; I dug it out of the trunk and set it on the ground while she jacked up the car and removed the wheel. Only when it was time to put the spare on, did I flip it over, see the badge of honor that is a Mazda spare, and bust out laughing:

20220713_115613 (resized).jpg20220713_115613 (resized).jpg

Yeah, poor kid! She had to drive with that cone of shame while we figured out what to do, because it turns out that particular wheel style on the 2009 Mazda 5 was ONLY used on the Mazda5, and ONLY for 2009-2010! When's the last time you saw any Mazda5, let alone one so optioned? A new wheel would be $300 - her entire check - and arrive in two weeks.

So here is where I endorse the other posters who suggested the pick-and-pull route: we looked up the local yard (in Louisville) and saw they had two Mazda 5's. Only one was a candidate year, and no way to know what options it had or might be left. At any rate, my daughter opted to live with the Cone of Shame (we even had fun and painted the Crash-Test roundel design on it) until such time as she and I were both off work to head over there and take our chances...

....and boy, we got lucky! The candidate vehicle only had ONE wheel, but it was just what we needed. With a decent tire. And all for just $40!

20220715_142241 (resized).jpg20220715_142241 (resized).jpg

Anyway, my longwinded story here is just meant to illustrate that shit happens. But if you help your kids understand and take ownership of those situations, as a learning opportunity, they'll be better off for it. Hopefully. I mean, I'm still naïve enough to think that for my own sake, anyway...

At the very least, take this opportunity to get a dashcam (they're like $40 on Amazon) to keep them honest if nothing else, make them do some basic maintenance and repairs, and try the pick-and-pull route. They'll hopefully come to understand the value of a buck, circumstance, and work.

Good luck on the recovery!

#35 1 year ago

I’m glad your daughter is okay. This leads to another generational argument though. Remember when driver’s ed was all summer long and put on by your local school district? Now it’s an expensive, private school two-week con job. Which program do you think produced better drivers?

Anyway, hopefully this can give you a few laughs… “It’s just a graze.”

#36 1 year ago

My daughter got in an accident at 17, ass ended the county coroner, she’s bawling, all upset, the guy driving the van tells her the dead guys fine, I couldn’t make this shit up. She is a much more alert driver because of it.

#37 1 year ago

Lol at that spare! ^^

Glad to hear she’s ok OP and also that she wasn’t on her phone. I’ve been hammering away at my kids about the phone and driving since they were little (they’re 22 and 19 now) as it’s always been my biggest concern and it’s just getting worse. I missed getting driver side t-boned by a guy going 50mph through a red light with his phone in his face by a half second last week. If the frame is ok and there are no safety issues I would personally make my kid have to endure the creaking/belching door every time it’s opened and closed as a reminder for a while. They’re so self conscious at that age it’ll seem 10x louder to them than it really is.

#38 1 year ago

As requested…
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Live with it!

My car has been hit by 4 or 5 people now without my involvement. Backed into in a grocery store, old lady just kept tearing into the bumper!! Huge gash over the rear wheel, cracked fender from my sister also backing into my car, and read fender dented from another family ALSO backing into my car...

It happens.
    I used to care, and then I got a second car. Now my main ride is the beater. It gets hit? Whatever.

No one has hit my precious baby yet, so I will let you know how to react when that time comes, if they have internet in jail

#39 1 year ago

Glad everyone is ok.

Seems like it is a good enough car to consider getting it fixed and keep it a while longer.

#40 1 year ago

First and foremost, glad everyone’s ok.
    I’m a firm believer that kids should be driving beat up piece of shit cars. Gets them to appreciate when they get something nice and tend to care for it better. Lord knows I did.
    Assuming it’s safe, let her drive it like that for a while.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from BriannaWu:

First of all, I'm glad your daughter is okay.
    Secondly, I restore classic Porsches. This is a *really* bad spot for damage, and I'd be surprised if there's no frame damage. At the least, it's going to need to go on a frame machine to verify that it's not bent.
    Don't **** around on this and keep driving it. Please especially don't let a kid drive it. There are a million things that could be damaged that could lead to a worse accident. Suspension, brakes. Hell, you could have a bearing lock up.
    Think of it like a pinball machine. Neglected maintenance is how machines get routed. A car is an even more tightly set of integrated systems.
    Frame damage = misalignment. Which means suspension not working right. Which can mean brakes not working well. Which means increased wear on every part of the system.

Seriously doubt the frame is destroyed or it's suddenly a death trap. Wheel looks completely untouched. If the cars pulls or there are any concerns, get the car checked out. Otherwise, I would just try to pry the metal to make the door open and close without grinding and live with it. You could try taking the door card off and banging out the dent. That's what I would do. Maybe gets something nicer when she gets a little older. Getting it fixed by professionals will be in the thousands - fender, door skin, rocker, paint, labor, etc.

#42 1 year ago

Glad everyone is okay. A few thoughts on replacement vehicles from someone who just shelled out for a safer car this weekend.

Just bought a 22 Forester Wilderness and traded in my 2012 Camry Hybrid. Forester has all sorts of crazy safety features, but I strongly believe it would be better for a kid to learn on the 2012 Camry Hybrid. With automatic emergency braking, lane centering, dynamic cruise control, 4 cameras... there is alot going on there. Once you get used to driving it the Forester is a way safer vehicle, but learning to do things like cruise control or lane centering is not muscle memory. If you were going to spring for one safety feature, I highly recommend blind spot monitoring. A little light n the side mirror that lights up when there is someone next to you.

I got $9400 trade in on my 2012 Camry Hybrid. It got 38 MPG combined, and it was rock solid still at over 105,000 miles. They go for 12-14k ish on auto trader.

Good luck!

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Seriously doubt the frame is destroyed or it's suddenly a death trap. Wheel looks completely untouched. If the cars pulls or there are any concerns, get the car checked out. Otherwise, I would just try to pry the metal to make the door open and close without grinding and live with it. You could try taking the door card off and banging out the dent. That's what I would do. Maybe gets something nicer when she gets a little older. Getting it fixed by professionals will be in the thousands - fender, door skin, rocker, paint, labor, etc.

I agree with this, if it still tracks straight down the road I would spend a couple hours bending and pounding it back out until that door opened 'good enough' then keep driving it until the state of California wont pass it through inspection anymore.

Will be nice for your daughter to have a little reminder damage and if she is like my kids there is a good chance that car will hit something else or get hit in the next couple years anyway

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Glad everyone is okay. A few thoughts on replacement vehicles from someone who just shelled out for a safer car this weekend.
    Just bought a 22 Forester Wilderness and traded in my 2012 Camry Hybrid. Forester has all sorts of crazy safety features, but I strongly believe it would be better for a kid to learn on the 2012 Camry Hybrid. With automatic emergency braking, lane centering, dynamic cruise control, 4 cameras... there is alot going on there. Once you get used to driving it the Forester is a way safer vehicle, but learning to do things like cruise control or lane centering is not muscle memory. If you were going to spring for one safety feature, I highly recommend blind spot monitoring. A little light n the side mirror that lights up when there is someone next to you.
    I got $9400 trade in on my 2012 Camry Hybrid. It got 38 MPG combined, and it was rock solid still at over 105,000 miles. They go for 12-14k ish on auto trader.
    Good luck!

Her mother is a firm believer in the law of lug nuts.... The car with the most lug nuts in a collision wins. So we have been shopping 2010 to 2012 Ford Escapes.

#45 1 year ago

Her mother is a firm believer in the law of lug nuts.... The car with the most lug nuts in a collision wins. So we have been shopping 2010 to 2012 Ford Escapes.

Precious Lug Nuts!

Seriously though. My first car was an old 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood. Longer than a modern Range Rover Defender Extended Edition Today. Built like a tank!

#46 1 year ago

So we have been shopping 2010 to 2012 Ford Escapes.

I'm currently driving a 2012 Ford Escape with a V-6, and has a little over 100,000 miles on it.
    Does what I need it to do. Added cross bars on top to be able to carry 2 kayaks.
    Seats up to 5 people, 4 comfortably.

#47 1 year ago

Well special thanks to user acitti for adjusting the driver side door last night so it closes a lot more easy.

I had my eyes on a fender and door to use for repairs, but they got sold out from under me. I'm going to see what Carmax will give me for the car as-is, and make my decision from there as to if I will repair it or sell it.

#48 1 year ago

An update of sorts… Carmax didn’t come through for us, they offered $2500 which I declined. That lead my on my adventure this morning to the cultural Mecca of Orange Cove, California. There I found a great wrecking yard where this poor soul was waiting…FBC01BEE-24FD-48E6-8506-03B6B8512F5C (resized).jpegFBC01BEE-24FD-48E6-8506-03B6B8512F5C (resized).jpeg

A nice little cash discount later (you would be amazed at the reduction in prices you can get when you tell them your paying cash) and I was all loaded up with the parts to mostly make the old Hyundai presentable again.
    E79A13B6-DE8B-41AC-B0D2-C5021EF3E886 (resized).jpegE79A13B6-DE8B-41AC-B0D2-C5021EF3E886 (resized).jpeg

#49 1 year ago

An update of sorts… Carmax didn’t come through for us, they offered $2500 which I declined. That lead my on my adventure this morning to the cultural Mecca of Orange Cove, California. There I found a great wrecking yard where this poor soul was waiting…[quoted image]
    A nice little cash discount later (you would be amazed at the reduction in prices you can get when you tell them your paying cash) and I was all loaded up with the parts to mostly make the old Hyundai presentable again.
    [quoted image]

I think that's the way to go. You'd be kicking yourself if you bought another car and she had another accident. Obviously as long as what she is driving is safe.

#50 1 year ago

An update of sorts… Carmax didn’t come through for us, they offered $2500 which I declined. That lead my on my adventure this morning to the cultural Mecca of Orange Cove, California. There I found a great wrecking yard where this poor soul was waiting…[quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Yes way cheaper just have too fix the rocker and your all set way too go

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.