Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by hoby1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Can you weld the 2 tabs at the back of the scoop with a butain torch and some Solder? Is there a video out on how to do it if you can? I tried by putting flux on it and heated it up with the torch then when I put my solder to it it just beads up and roles off. Can this be done. What do you use to weld this?

#2 10 years ago

Take it to a proper welding shop, do it right or it will probably just happen again. They can fix it in 15seconds

#3 10 years ago

What do you think they would charge? Would it be cheaper to by a new scoop?

#4 10 years ago

Ask some friends/family, someone probably knows somebody that will do it for free. I had a couple things welded for free like that before. Or just hit up a couple shops, they might charge you 20 bucks or something, just a guess..

#5 10 years ago

I have a mig welder and have had a lot of success welding scoops. If you can't find anyone to weld it you can mail it to me and I will weld it and have it back in the mail on the same day. All you would have to pay is shipping both ways. If you have a weld shop close-by they might not charge as much as shipping would be I bet.

#6 10 years ago

Solder will probably just break if you can even get it to stick in the first place. Do it right dont make a mess!

#7 10 years ago

Thanks Josh I will try to find a welder around me. If I can't I might take you up om the offer.

#8 10 years ago

Yeah it just beads up. I can't get it to stick.

#9 10 years ago

Pinballhog,

Take it to a fab shop that is detailed oriented...the piece needs to be media blasted first to remove the galvanization and then TIG welded, a process that is more controlled and designed for detailed, quality welds.

Though MIG welding is possible, the finished quality is significantly less and more subject to heat distortion.

Around 20-25 bucks should get you out the door.

rody

#10 10 years ago

I have a friend that did exactly this. Welded the TAF scoop back nice and strong, and then another 10 mins to grind and sand it nice and clean. Worked like a charm!

#11 10 years ago

Is the scoop made out of stainless steel?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

I have a mig welder and have had a lot of success welding scoops. If you can't find anyone to weld it you can mail it to me and I will weld it and have it back in the mail on the same day. All you would have to pay is shipping both ways. If you have a weld shop close-by they might not charge as much as shipping would be I bet.

Aren't the scoops made from stainless? You can weld it like plain steel but without a stainless rod/gas setup it will be vulnerable to rust in short order.

#13 10 years ago

Search for "welding shop" local.

They will TIG weld it in 10 minutes, probably for $10.

The weld will be stronger than the base metal, the weld will not rust if stainless, because they will naturally use the proper rod.

#14 10 years ago

I TIG welded mine the full length (sides) and the tabs. If the parts are fitted close you can flow the metal without using filler rod and yes, use stainless filler rod.

I would not waste time or material trying to solder it. You could braze it but it will not look very pretty when finished unless you wire brush it then toss in the tumbler / polisher for a while.

#15 10 years ago

Just buy the replacement weldments from Mantis. Although it will cost more than a simple welding job, they are of superior construction and will not be the source of future concerns.

#16 10 years ago

If you cant find anyone local to TIG weld it for you I will (for free) if you want to mail it to me.
I am getting low on shield gas but should have enough to do a small job.

You really do not need replacement weldments, once yours are properly welded they will not break again. Use the $$$ for something else you really need.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from jgreene:

Aren't the scoops made from stainless? You can weld it like plain steel but without a stainless rod/gas setup it will be vulnerable to rust in short order.

All true however a year later mine still looks fine.

Quoted from cal50:

If you cant find anyone local to TIG weld it for you I will (for free) if you want to mail it to me.
I am getting low on shield gas but should have enough to do a small job.
You really do not need replacement weldments, once yours are properly welded they will not break again. Use the $$$ for something else you really need.

I would take him up on this rather than me just because tig is totally the right way to go and it will look nicer (not that you see a scoop anyway)

#18 10 years ago

I welded one for Pinster (rgp) for his TAF, it's a common problem for weldmets and not just TAF.

#19 10 years ago

I would take him up on that to.. Put a 20 inside the shipping box with the part for a start on a fresh tank of AG 25. Maybe he will continue to do us a valuable service as its hard to find someone good enough on the cheap.

Last set I had done I paid 30 bucks for and thought it was well worth that price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 180.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/weld-broke-on-taf-chair-scoop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.