(Topic ID: 248218)

Welcome To The Jurassic Park Prem/LE Club!!

By Royale-W-Cheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the first MOD you will buy??”

• Toppers 59 votes
    46%
  • New Jeep 51 votes
    40%
  • Plastic Characters 18 votes
    14%

(128 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1464 (resized).JPG
IMG_1098 (resized).png
B8996674-A600-487D-9DA1-0CC0391ECFB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1079 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1059 (resized).JPG
IMG_0878 (resized).JPG
IMG_0881 (resized).JPG
IMG_0798 (resized).png
IMG_0797 (resized).png
IMG_0818 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
Pinside_market_106545_2.gif
002-pro-jurassic-park 2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #885 TECH: PLAYFIELD. T-Rex alignment bulletin from Stern. Posted by pickleric (4 years ago)

Post #1396 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter fix Posted by Chambahz (4 years ago)

Post #1619 read before dismantling the raptor Posted by timlah79 (4 years ago)

Post #1830 TECH: PLAYFIELD. T-Rex adjustment info according to Keith Elwin Posted by sk8ball (4 years ago)

Post #2358 TREX Adjustment info Posted by imagamejunky (4 years ago)

Post #2625 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Raptor pit detailed adjustment instructions. Posted by yancy (4 years ago)

Post #2994 TECH: PLAYFIELD. T-Rex head removal tips and Jaw screw fix. Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #3326 Amber Bonus rules and details Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #3417 TECH: SWITCHES. Opto sensor not registering on orbit fix Posted by caker137 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scooterd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1104 4 years ago

#313 in the house in Canada - looks and plays great so far... except almost every shot to the T-Rex is rejected... first shot went in, none since in 30 games... so, wondering what software menu and options are needed to play with it.... hopefully don't have to do any physical mods... ugh

#1128 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

I’ll play with mine tomorrow. I do get rejects too. Very inconsistent rejects that I haven’t been able to reliably blame my shooting on or the machine to this point.
Where exactly is that software setting to toggle the T-rex movement? I’ve not found it yet and I’m missing it in the manual.

So, my issue, after using the test-diag menu for vertical, is that at it's lowest setting, it's still a good inch or more from the ramp.... I have hit plenty of balls perfectly that just go SDTM afterwards after rejecting... very frustrating... also, when the T Rex head comes down, it also 'jogs' to the left side ... but, the head is just slightly off center... I think the big issue is that it's nowhere near the ramp...

The menu options (last 3) for in game doesn't seem to have a vertical adjustment... unless I'm not understanding how they work... I have tried -15 to +15 and the head just goes crazy from side to side, and doesn't change how close it gets to the ramp.

For a less than a day old machine, should I be going to Stern or the Distributor? I'm not interested in taking the machine apart myself to mechanically adjust...

Thanks all

TREX (resized).jpgTREX (resized).jpg
#1134 4 years ago

Thank you for this. I am a home user , so I have never removed the playfield.... so dumb question - how exactly do I do this? Like, super basic! I also know I need to get the balls out before doing so.

Would it be normal to expect the distributor to make this adjustment?

Thanks! ,
Newb

Quoted from EaglePin:

To get into the vertical test select "Diag", then "Game", then "Vert" for the T-Rex Vertical test.

When I first got mine it was also (like yours) too high above the ramp and rejecting probably 3-out-of-4 or 4-out-of-5 shots. After the information about the physical bracket adjustment was released I spent a bunch of time monkeying with it one night and I think I figured out the gist of it. When you go into the T-Rex Vertical Test, there are three T-Rex head heights you can toggle to by using the +/- buttons. You'll need to pull out the white interlock switch at the coin door hinge in order for power to go to the system while you're using the vertical test. First, hit the - button to lower the head. Then hit the Start button (same one you push to start a game) to open the mouth to see how high the mouth is off the ramp when it lowers & opens during the game. Check to see how high the bottom of the mouth is off the ramp in this position (T-Rex head low in the vertical test and mouth open). Pushing the start button again closes the mouth. It seems to me that if the bottom of the mouth is more than about 1/4 inch above the ramp you might want to lower it a bit.
To adjust the height, return the T-Rex head to the middle level of the Vertical Test by hitting the + button while it's in the lowest position. Now you'll need to pull the playfield out to the service position so you can loosen the 4 nuts behind the backboard holding the bracket in place (the nut on the bottom right as you're facing the machine is a blind shot to try to find it with the hex driver but it was very do-able once you found it - it's in a symmetrical position to the other nuts). I played it safe by turning the power off before I went to loosen the nuts. Don't loosen them very much, just enough to release the grip on the bracket. If I recall correctly, when I got all four only just loose enough to release the grip on the bracket the head lowered down a bit on its own. If it doesn't lower by its own weight, then you'll want to gently push the head down until the bracket won't let it lower any further. It's not a lot of movement down, but it's enough.
From here when I was monkeying with it I re-tightened the nuts on the bracket, pushed the playfield back in, powered the machine up, lowered the T-Rex head to the low position in the vertical test, and hit the start button to open the mouth. The mouth now completely rested on the ramp when it was open. When I hit start again to close the mouth it wouldn't close (I'm guessing because it hadn't opened all the way). I had to nudge the mouth with my finger to close it. So that meant I'd hit the bottom range of adjustment, and I was a bit too low. So I pulled the playfield back out, moved the T-Rex head back to the middle position of the vertical adjustment test and powered the machine down again. Then I re-loosened the nuts and only just a very, very, very little bit lifted and held the T-Rex head in place with one hand while I re-tightened the two most accessible nuts to hold it in place, and then tightened the other two. It was really only just the slightest lift up to get enough of an adjustment - just enough so the horseshoe openings of the bracket for the screws weren't in contact with the screws any more. A very slight adjustment in the bracket with the head height in the middle position of the vertical test translated to more of an adjustment in the lowered head & open mouth position than I expected it would.
After that, I retested by pushing the playfield back in, lowering the head in the vertical test, and hitting start. The bottom of the mouth was now probably only about 1/4 inch above the ramp & I figured it was close enough to try it out. Since then it's been catching probably 4-out-of-5 or 5-out-of-6 balls that it legitimately should. There are still some that it misses that I think it should catch and my distributor said he got a better understanding now of some of the software adjustments that can be made but I haven't had time in over a week to call him and go over it. I think once I get those figured out I'll be good to go. This is just my experience from memory, but I hope it helps a bit.
One thing to note. Watch the T-Rex head when you raise and lower the playfield. Make sure it's pretty centered looking down the ramp before you power up.
A couple times I didn't realize mine had swung to my right (its left) and was up against the left ramp where it goes through the backboard. When I powered up it started grinding, so I just immediately powered down. It was okay because I only had to use my hand to easily move it back to center before powering up again, but hearing that sound took a couple years off my life.
I think it's an amazing mech and it just needs a bit of tweaking to dial it in. The physical bracket adjustment just wasn't very intuitive. I figured the right position to make the adjustment would be in the low position of the vertical test, but it was impossible to make an adjustment in that position. I just kind of stumbled onto the fact that you need to make the bracket adjustment while it's in the middle position by accident (I didn't try the high position at all). Hope this helps. I'm sure the software side of the adjustments will really help too, but I don't know anything about them yet.

The link to your video didn't work for me, but the mouth of mine also skews a bit to the left to fit into the ramp when it opens. After making the height adjustment it's catching balls a lot more reliably, but I'm definitely wondering if this left skew could be resolved by a software adjustment to dial it in even better. I'm guessing there are one or two other software adjustments that might help, but I don't want to mess with them without first hearing from someone who knows what each one does.

#1165 4 years ago

Just update on my LE T Trex issues.... there must be an issue with my assembly unit, as one of the screws is holding the T. rex is sitting in the cabinet, and no matter what physical adjustment is made, the mouth won’t come close to the ramp. Also found a tiny nick on the green cabinet. Yuck. Waiting to hear from my distributor, but I think my Dino head is a lemon

#1373 4 years ago

Mine has not worked since day one... still awaiting Sterns reply... sorta disappointed it’s been a week and nothing.

My flippers also look like those posted.

Still a fun pin, but a little conflicted with the growing pains.

Quoted from timlah79:

Funny you said that it seemed to grab the ball better when you first started playing. I also only noticed the lack of it after a few games. I haven't touched the mouth opto just verified it "works." Unsure what setting changes that opto if there is one in 0.90.0. In quotes because yes that and the ramp optos works but the mouth/magnet doesn't not unless the ball makes it into the furthest back point of the mouth--which means you have to at least have the T-Rex's position perfect on the ramp, which it never is for my machine. Changes time to time, sometimes centered, sometimes left side, sometimes right side of the ramp. See mine and multiple other folks posts about T-rex issues in this topic.
Might be time to start a separate topic about LE/Prem T-Rex specific issues. This has been the most frustrating issue about the game. There are adjustments in the menu that many have tweaked to resolve. I've tried them all to the point where one setting makes it better for a play, then the next it's as if what I did made it worse. I'm personally at the point where I'm done with both hardware and software tweaks, providing video's etc. I've convinced Stern to send me a whole new assembly. If you want to mess with it software-wise, yes there are ways to "improve" it from some fine folks advice. Unfortunately none have fully resolved the issue for my machine.

1 week later
#1728 4 years ago
Quoted from PBatt:

Hey there. #476 here in Austin Texas. My first LE (and kinda my wifes pin . . ).
Got a question for you- Anyone having issues with the T Rex not grabbing the ball? Mine rarley does. Tech support contacted, but I though I'd ask here.
Thanks!

A few of us are in this boat. Mine won't grab the ball (more than 1/50 times) even with the glass off, and a ball fed... I am still (3 weeks later) still awaiting any resolution. I contacted them less than 24 hrs after delivery and nothing yet. It seems to be a few of us with T-Rex's have defective magnets or similar... so I still patiently await. I'd contact your dealer and then Chaz @ Stern... patiently waiting! I even left a message for my distributor's service team and have still not heard back.

1 month later
#3529 4 years ago

An update and a question for all the Stern experts here... (and sorry for the longish post):

I am the owner of LE 313, which upon delivery had a malfunctioning TRex (sat high off the ramp, and didn't eat any balls), had a small piece of green paint chipped off the top of the frame and a random selection of nuts and bolts in the bottom of the case.

I immediately let my distributor know that day.... finally yesterday heard that "Stern will replace both parts".... they wanted to ship them to me, and expected me to install them!!!(WTF)

Now, I'm just a home user, this is my 2nd LE Stern purchase in less than 6 months - I am just wondering, out loud - is this what I should be expecting for spending this kind of money on a game? If so, it pretty much means that these machines should NEVER be bought new, as the risk/reward is 100% on the end buyer.... if I bought a new small car and on day 1, it's systems didn't work... would Ford send me a new muffler or brake kit and expect me to install it myself?

I understand many of the buyers here are using these for business reasons, and so any downtime is missing profits, so, those owners will take the parts and fix things... but, this approach to a "home user" seems completely a$$ backwards and basically tilts my future decisions to no longer consider NIB, as I cannot be sure that I could actually have a working game on Day 1.

Is there someone beside my distributor and the Stern service department I should be contacting, to perhaps better impress upon them, the lunacy of this approach and from a business standpoint - that this completely anti-consumer approach to shipping defective products on day 1, with 100% of the risk on the consumer, is opening Stern up to some bad press?

I don't want to be "that guy" -- I just want, what I think anyone deserves, a working game from the factory, and then I am happy to fix it, when is in a working state, while inevitable things come up... I shouldn't be the onsite warranty/service department on day 1....

PS the "tape trick" on the opto has improved this LE a bit, so, perhaps the issue is the opto alignment... but again.... where is the quality control and testing before shipping out a $10k "game" ? thanks for reading - scott

#3531 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

You've had some bad luck I guess. However, to keep your analogy to the car purchase, when you buy a car the manufacturer doesn't send it directly to you. They send it to the dealership who will then inspect and prepare it, then you get it. Your distributor should have offered the same service. Take it out of the box to inspect and prepare, then sell it to you. If however you chose to have the unboxing experience well then that's the risk you take. Things do happen in shipping. My distributor(from Montreal) offered to check it all out for me but I declined, knowing full well what I could be getting myself into. Even though this was my first NIB, I've owned many pins and feel comfortable fixing issues. I also had nuts and bolts in the box and in the cab, but the game functioned pretty much as it should have. I still get the odd nut or washer sliding down the playfield but it's getting less frequent.

Agreed, bad luck... I feel like the distributor is the one in the "wrong" here... but, wondering how to get a more fair solution... the distributor was paid to deliver and setup... and that is when the discovery happened... so, I feel like I did everything I could to ensure the risk was on the distributor to deliver a working & undamaged game out of the box... what else can a buyer do?

#3537 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Did you deal with the "local Kingston distributor"? I don't think he's an authorized Stern dealer. I believe the only 2 authorized distros in Canada are Nitro Pinball and Player One. I dealt with Player One and the service was awesome. My LE had the wrong legs (black) and the distributor got the green ones from Stern and then shipped them overnight to me. Obviously I had to install them myself.
In any case whoever came to install the game in your house was responsible to ensure it was functioning properly. Pressure them.

It is P1... so, I do feel good that eventually something will be sorted out, but I feel like the default position should be from Stern/P1 "Sorry we brought a game that doesn't work and is damaged, how can we make this right, with the least amount of hassle for you the consumer" ... I would be 100% different in posture if this stopped working a week or a month later... but out of the box, the buyer shouldn't be the one jumping through hoops to find someone to install a new T-rex or remove the playfield and re-align opto sensors themselves... Stern claims that everything is tested before shipping, but the vast amount of posts on this LE thread about the T-Rex head specifically, show that cannot possibly be true... and listen, stuff happens, I just want it fixed without spending my own time and energy.... in the meantime a $10k+ game sits and cannot be fully played.

#3545 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Yeah unfortunately even though they are targeting the home users more than the commercial operators now, their business model/philosophy hasn't caught up. They sell these things with the assumption the end user can maintain and fix it themselves. Warranty covers parts only (I think).
Also, it's a commercial money making device. If it was on location it would still make money whether the trex works or not. The operator would just disable it in the settings and the game would play normal. Same with a ramp opto that sometimes misses the ball.. In a home environment it sucks and isn't really acceptable. In a dark dingy bar it doesn't matter...

Yes, totally get it - and no problem with taking the glass off and/or paying someone to do the stuff I don't/can't do... I certainly get the hobby part... I just think Stern should be thinking a little more about the Customer Service end with their distributor for home users - they should be willing to make exceptions to solve the problem. P1 has been responsive, I think we are awaiting Stern's move...

#3550 4 years ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Download JURASSIC PARK TREX ALIGNMENT PROCEDURE ( PDF)[quoted image]

Thank you for all of this - I have already done all of these tests...and adjusted the head physically... it still sets well up... that said the tape trick someone posted has improved results.... I imagine my opto sensors are misaligned (someone posted earlier about physically removing and re-positioning them).... anyways, I appreciate the detailed notes for others too. Great community here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider scooterd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-jurassic-park-le-club?tu=scooterd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.