(Topic ID: 248218)

Welcome To The Jurassic Park Prem/LE Club!!

By Royale-W-Cheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the first MOD you will buy??”

• Toppers 59 votes
    46%
  • New Jeep 51 votes
    40%
  • Plastic Characters 18 votes
    14%

(128 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0798 (resized).png
IMG_0797 (resized).png
IMG_0818 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
Pinside_market_106545_2.gif
002-pro-jurassic-park 2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_030524583 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_031412806.MP (resized).jpg
IMG_0996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0997 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0383 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0382 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0381 (resized).jpeg
20231207_202319 (resized).jpg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #885 TECH: PLAYFIELD. T-Rex alignment bulletin from Stern. Posted by pickleric (4 years ago)

Post #1396 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter fix Posted by Chambahz (4 years ago)

Post #1619 read before dismantling the raptor Posted by timlah79 (4 years ago)

Post #1830 TECH: PLAYFIELD. T-Rex adjustment info according to Keith Elwin Posted by sk8ball (4 years ago)

Post #2358 TREX Adjustment info Posted by imagamejunky (4 years ago)

Post #2625 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Raptor pit detailed adjustment instructions. Posted by yancy (4 years ago)

Post #2994 TECH: PLAYFIELD. T-Rex head removal tips and Jaw screw fix. Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #3326 Amber Bonus rules and details Posted by fooflighter (4 years ago)

Post #3417 TECH: SWITCHES. Opto sensor not registering on orbit fix Posted by caker137 (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcirrick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6801 2 years ago

I ordered my Premium December 29 with an estimated delivery in March later narrowed down to the fourth week of March which came and went with no delivery. I was told Stern was waiting on parts, but a few will soon ship. I took delivery April 13.

I'm enjoying the game and only found one minor issue and another possible issue. The Start button didn't work. It didn't even light up. I played for hours using the action button to start games before I figured out that the inside of the start button, the actual button part, was dangling inside the machine. I connected it back together and that fixed that.

My potential issue is T-Rex. He functions perfectly and while moving vertically he has the typical small motor sound, but he seems awfully noisy when moving horizontally. Like he's straining with gears grinding. I sent a video to Stern support to get their opinion. I hope it's not normal because it's loud and sounds like it's on a path to failure - after warranty of course. I have the games volume loud to cover up the noise. I'm moving it using a flipper button while in diagnostics.

My only quibble is that white flasher lamp on the left which is blinding. It's worse than my F-14 Tomcat. There's an option in the adjust menu to reduce the brightness, but it's not enough. I finally took that clear dome off and temporarily popped a red insert I had lying around in it's place. I'll either be replacing the dome or the led board with blue depending what I can find.

The game is fun and makes my old "Fast and Furious" F-14 Tomcat seem geriatric, but that's another topic.

I installed the over priced Jurassic Park topper with a slight modification. Here is a pic. Don't be cruel.

jp wih topper (resized).jpgjp wih topper (resized).jpg
#6807 2 years ago

Thanks for you comments folks. I have a feeling Stern will tell me it's normal. The reason I got concerned is because it was so loud with the glass on. If the noise is normal, I'm going to call it a poor design choice. If they can make vertical movement nice and quiet - sounding like a normal small electric motor - then T-Rex shouldn't sound like he is chewing broken glass when moving horizontally and I shouldn't have to crank up the volume so I won't have to listen to this grinding. I don't mean to make a big deal over it. It just had me concerned and I wanted to look in to it rather than worry about it. I will post again when Stern tells me it's normal. Here's another video through the glass with the volume off. Does everybody's sound like this?

Thanks EaglePin. I've found those and already have blue in my cart.

#6808 2 years ago
Quoted from Averhoeven:

That's frustrating to me. I ordered in Oct and the best they can tell me is that JP is on the line being made....

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who gets one when. Odd that you ordered two months before me yet I got mine first. Maybe I got your machine? I can't imagine that who you ordered from would make a difference. I ordered from Cointaker. (I hope you didn't or I see you being more than frustrated.)

#6815 2 years ago

I heard back from Stern and was told all that noise T-Rex is making is normal. There was an attached note from the engineering department that was both helpful and not.

Notes from engineering:

“The switch homing sequence runs at sub-50% speed to get better switch accuracy. As a result, you can hear the motor step pulses more easily, hence the “GRINDING noise. It should only do this when entering the test menus, after the interlock is pulled, or after it goes into 'sleep mode' during attract where it disables stepper power to keep the heat down.”

They explain very well as to why it makes the noise, but then go on to say when it will make the noise. I keep re reading "It should only do this when...". The circumstances mentioned don't seem to be applicable when playing a game. Ah well, I'm going to live with it for now. If it's going to fail I'm sure it will fail before six months go by since I'm in the game room every day. Despite the noise, T-Rex does work correctly. He homes fine, catches the ball, drops it on the ramp or throws it. He's just noisy about it.

Apparently, you guys have faulty T-Rex's if they aren't grinding and growling like mine.

#6839 2 years ago

I've gotten used to the noise my T-Rex makes. I guess all that noise really is normal. She has been operating fine since the machine was delivered five days ago - until today. A new issue with her unrelated to the noise occurred and it was a real PITA to fix.

My son was playing a game. T-Rex lowered her head and opened her mouth. My son shot the ball straight in. She caught it and kept it. And I mean she kept it. She refused to let it go. She thrashed her head and whipped up and down, but she never opened her mouth. We started a new game and the machine was unhappy because it was missing a pinball. We completed that game and T-Rex still had the ball. I went into the menus to test and she still wouldn't open up. I do have Tim's code loaded (no praise can do it justice (if you're in to hip hop he's good)), but no way could that cause this. Still, I popped in the original code anyway, (the first rule of trouble shooting is what ever you changed, change it back), and T-Rex continued to enjoy sucking on that ball. Only one thing to do - surgery.

We started to dismantle her to look for a loose wire or a mechanical problem. We ended up removing her completely of course. We carefully collected all the tiny screws and parts including one that had suspiciously fallen into the plastic trough. I wasn't sure where that screw belonged, but would figure it out during reassembly. Upon taking her apart we found out where that screw had come from. This was the screw that held the plunger to the jaw slider frame. Hard to believe that it had fallen out after only five days. When looking at the diagram of the slider assembly, the manual actually has a note pointing to the screw that says "locktite 243". Apparently, the person who put this thing together didn't read the manual or maybe ran out of the thread locker as there was no sign of locktite on the screw or the plunger. We put a tiny drop of blue on all of the screws when we reassembled so T-Rex is good to go. She is now fully recovered eating and spitting out balls like a premium T-Rex should.

So there you go. If your T-Rex's jaw stops working you now have an idea of what to look at. I will say that in getting this close a look at the T-Rex that it is pretty clear that the wires to the opto are a weak point. They flex every time the jaw opens and closes. I suspect that they will eventually fail. At least I know what to look at first when the opto stops working.

#6843 2 years ago

I placed my order the end of December for a March delivery. March 31 quote from my distributor, “Stern is still waiting on parts, but I think a few will be ready to ship this week”. Mine was shipped April 5. If Stern has truly been waiting on parts then perhaps more machines will soon be out the door. I know that’s kind of vague. Sorry.

4 months later
#7947 2 years ago

History of my Jurassic Park Premium

Placed $1,000 deposit for the machine with a popular seller
Four months later it’s ready to ship
Seller emails incorrect invoice – over charging me
Contacted Seller – no response
Paid what was owed – not what the invoice said
Advised Seller and asked for corrected invoice
Received response and corrected invoice was promised, but never sent
Took delivery, installed, meticulously leveled and waxed the machine and start to play
Immediately get an amazing amount of ball conga lines heading straight down the middle
Nedry out lane is very greedy
Super noisy T-Rex – am told by Stern that this is normal
Installed the Stern topper – modified with quality dinosaur toys
Stuck some toys on the play field
Made multiple minor adjustments to stop balls from getting stuck here and here and here and he...
Replaced warm white GI with green – definite aesthetic improvement
Replaced round headed screw that interfered with balls entering left half pipe with flat headed screw
Replaced white flasher dome on left side of play field with blue dome and minimized flasher brightness
Minimized back glass brightness during game play
Installed Tim’s code – Fantastic improvement – should have been this way from the factory
Repaired the T-Rex after screw fell out of his jaw and he stopped working
After rebuilding T-Rex the "normal" super loud noise was no longer so super – Thanks Stern
An amazing amount of balls still parading straight down the middle
Nedry is as greedy as ever
Random screws/nuts occasionally roll down the play field - reinstall and tighten them
One LED strip on the Stern topper stops working – something shorted the EXPOSED soldering?
Asked Stern for help – no response – fixed topper with some red neck engineering
Installed cool alternate translite with characters from the movie
Created new free play apron card matching the new translite sticking yours truly in the pic
An amazing amount of ball conga lines still heading straight down the middle
Nedry, Nedry, Nedry…
Covered rivets that interfere with balls entering T-Rex ramp with home made laminated T-Rex sign
Malformed Raptor leans right and barely moves – temporarily wedged a rubber grommet next to leg to straighten and improve movement
A successful shot to control room means 90% chance the ball will immediately drain
Fabricated a swinging paddle to redirect balls preventing 99% of drains from control room
Balls persistently head for the Nedry out lane or down the middle and drain like they were on rails
Fabricated parts and added them to out lanes to reduce drains – not much help
Adjusted level, (leaned left), to reduce Nedry drains – pretty successful
Now left out lane drains more – at least it can save the ball sometimes
An amazing amount of ball conga lines still heading straight down the middle
Last straw - Opened coin door to find cash box covered with metal shavings fallen from play field
Desire to douse machine with gasoline and strike a match is overwhelming

Is it just my machine? Does Stern even HAVE a quality control department?
John Hammond, “When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked.”
This machine would have fit right in on Isla Nublar
It seems Stern mistook frustrating for challenging when designing the game
Challenging good – frustrating bad
Stern should be ashamed of their half-assed assembly line
It would be a fun game if one could play it without balls draining so fast as if it were a feature
It would be fun if I wasn’t having to constantly repair and adjust a factory fresh machine
Once in a blue moon the planets do align allowing a good score
Over 1 billion, over 1.5 billion and over 2 billion but good games are rare
Players make liberal use of the activated left flipper start button combo to end games early

Four months after taking delivery I sold this Jurassic Turd

Others might not share my experience, opinion or feelings, but this particular machine was jinxed before I even took delivery. It’s a beautiful game and I know a lot of people really like it. I was excited to get it and I tried to like it, but I found the machine so frustrating that it was going to give me my second heart attack. In the future, I’m going to stick with machines at least 20 years old. My F-14 Tomcat has been running great and I haven't had to touch it since getting it all fixed up thanks to Pinside help. I should take delivery on a shopped HUO Revenge From Mars prototype next week to fill the space left open by the departure of JP.

Thanks to those folks that helped out when problems arose with the JP. I'd like to say it's been fun, but...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
$ 39.00
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kcirrick.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-jurassic-park-le-club?tu=kcirrick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.