Quoted from timlah79:
Actually I take this back as being fixed. Still having the issue. Curious if anyone can give me some advice on how this is supposed to be situated?
The counterbalance appeared to get stuck again above the plastic guard. The problem is if I tighten it to much then there's enough clearance to catch the nut at the bottom to the top of the plastic edge. If I loosen it so there's almost no way the counterbalance can breach the plastic edge but it still gets stuck b/c it's made up of a bunch of separate washers.
What I also think I've realized is there is an additional issue with the mold of the toy itself. There are 2 ways for it to get stuck 1) the counterbalance getting caught or 2) the mold of the body catching the mold of the leg and sticking. No adjustment to the joint seems to make a difference here. Given #2 I don't think there's anything I can do to fully stop this from happening. Should I just ask Stern to send me a full replacement of the entire assembly? Also does anyone know if the plastic guard is supposed to stop the counterbalance or is it supposed to clear it?[quoted image][quoted image]
For anyone who's had similar raptor getting stuck issues that I have... This is going to be quite the rant, but meant to be more-so educational, I promise. I finally got a replacement raptor from Stern today. From the looks of it it seemed like a quick swap, just unscrew the plastic top guard behind, unscrew the feet, done. NOPE.
PSA: The hardware that holds the feet is nothing but a screw up from the underside and a nut on the top of the pit top plastic, nothing holding it together other than that. To my utter dismay, as soon as i unscrewed one of the feet, down went the screw. Same thing happened on the second foot. There is no mechanism/washer/plug that will hold those screws in place,
they will drop out if you try this and be near impossible to re-fasten.
I ended up having to remove almost every rod and screw from the entire cage assembly, including the tower ramp, just to get enough room to get some kind of tool under the cage top. And even after doing so I still could not get to the underside to get a sideways screwdriver in. If i wanted to take it completely off I would have had to un-mount every drop target within and pray that no solder joints came loose. I wasn't about to do that... So i had to try my best to wedge needle nose pliers to hold onto each underside screw and re-fasten the nuts from the top. Took me almost 3 hours with countless dropping of screws, etc.
The real kicker is that in the end, absolutely NO difference. The new raptor had the exact same issue as the original (counterbalance sticking above the plastic guard and stuck at the leg joints due to the poor mold). So at that point I stole a washer/magnet from the old raptor's counterbalance and added it to the new. That was actually what resolved the issue. I really wish I had just done that first. Lesson learned.
They need to put enough washers to a) weigh the body back down and b) avoid the counterbalance from getting stuck above the plastic guard. Man, this was terrible. Sorry I didn't take any pics, hopefully my description makes sense and no one else runs into this when trying to replace their raptor.
Anyway, educational newbie pin owner rant over. I'm stoked to see that damn raptor stand back up now. LOL