(Topic ID: 248218)

Welcome To The Jurassic Park Prem/LE Club!!

By Royale-W-Cheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 9,218 posts
  • 803 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by scootss
  • Topic is favorited by 439 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What is the first MOD you will buy??”

• Toppers 59 votes
    46%
  • New Jeep 51 votes
    40%
  • Plastic Characters 18 votes
    14%

(128 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1098 (resized).png
B8996674-A600-487D-9DA1-0CC0391ECFB2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1086 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1079 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1059 (resized).JPG
IMG_0878 (resized).JPG
IMG_0881 (resized).JPG
IMG_0798 (resized).png
IMG_0797 (resized).png
IMG_0818 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0811 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
Pinside_market_106545_2.gif
002-pro-jurassic-park 2 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240116_030524583 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

18 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 9,218 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 185.
#801 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

My uneducated guess is that there was a screw that holds the apron in place very near that spot. That when they were installing the apron, the screw was dragged through the wet clear and scratched the paint. Looking at that, the scrape is quite close to the apron and I don't see how a ball might do that -further reinforcing the idea that it was done while in the factory.
I don't think that paint "flakes" through clearcoat, causing it to become "torn" like you've shown in the photos.
I looked through the Jurassic manual but couldnt find any photo showing the apron or where the screws are located.
If any Pinsider with a JPLE wants to remove the apron to check, that might be helpful in understanding the root cause of this.
Unlike the following opinion, of these being "ticking time bombs" where the art and clear start lifting, I expect it was a factory screw-up.

Don't be shy about bringing this to both your Distributors attention and to Stern, if your distributor doesnt support you. You can even call Stern directly to explain what you've found, then send them pics. I've always found them super helpful and great to deal with.
I would expect that ESPECIALLY if it's thought that this was an error caused before the pin left the factory and was caused by an employee while being put together, that Stern might consider that eligible for their "case by case" support.
Fingers are crossed for ya!

I don’t understand what you mean. Apron should not be installed in wet clear? The apron is installed on a rock hard, completely dry clear coat playfield.

Or are you saying Stern installed it before the playfield was cured?

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yeh, that is a concern.
I am thinking of doing the same, but the only thing stopping me is my dealer and Stern have ALWAYS looked after me in the past.
But in this case Im debating whether I could be bothered going through the hassle. If the game wasn't looking so good I wouldn't.

You can still own the game 3 or 6 months from now when they announce some kind of resolution/warrantee terms. Or you could open that mystery box and pray for the best.

#803 4 years ago
Quoted from catchlight:

Could I see a picture of that mod on your game? Sounds interesting

Here it is:

20190926_165207.jpg20190926_165207.jpg20190926_165224.jpg20190926_165224.jpg
#804 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I don’t understand what you mean. Apron should not be installed in wet clear? The apron is installed on a rock hard, completely dry clear coat playfield.

Since we've seen pooling occur I dont think the clear is "rock hard" when the parts are installed?

#805 4 years ago

Hi!

#806 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

No. This is by the apron. The other area already has some paint removed, but I didn't make a big deal about it because it is mostly where you can't see it. I'm not a nit-picky guy, so I just ignored it. But this is kind of in your face.
My dealer had two boxes next to each other and asked which number I wanted. I guess I picked the wrong one.

Bummer that happened. Just my impression but it seems like this is a different issue than the pooling issue. This seems to be the ball guides and apron tightened to the playfield and then scraping it from vibrations with the ball, so it’s more like the guide and apron are cutting into it. Seems like they really should put washers under those spots to prevent that cutting. I just got mine today and adjusted the guides by the tower so there’s a slight gap now between them and the playfield. I also just put three small black fabric washers in each of the apron screws to lift the apron very slightly off the playfield to prevent that cutting. I used #8x.032 fabric washers I had on hand from experimenting with washers to use on my POTC. Now the apron isn’t contacting the playfield.

Thanks for posting yours. I had the ball guides on my radar to check but wouldn’t have thought of the apron. Here are pics of what I did at the apron.

6191FAD3-C534-4F36-8C83-D1C30994DD17 (resized).jpeg6191FAD3-C534-4F36-8C83-D1C30994DD17 (resized).jpegEE6B7545-F92A-48CA-B813-EBA8A8D495B0 (resized).jpegEE6B7545-F92A-48CA-B813-EBA8A8D495B0 (resized).jpegA069F4FB-6204-4BF0-9389-9D58DFF451F6 (resized).jpegA069F4FB-6204-4BF0-9389-9D58DFF451F6 (resized).jpeg
#807 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I'm sorry to here.

I am really sorry to hear about all the issues you are experiencing. I hope Stern steps up and gets you a populated play field. Those issues are unacceptable.

#808 4 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

It needs to be a clean shot but in no way should be "hard". Do you have a video you can post?
There are numerous adjustments both in-menu and physically. You can fine tune the home position bias to make sure it is coming down in the center of the ramp (the last 3 game adjustments are for this)
There is also a physical height adjustment on the vertical motor bracket. The jaw should just barely make contact with the ramp. To test go into diag-game-vertical motor test. Lower the trex to the lowest position. If you hit the start button the jaw will toggle open and close.
If the ball goes into the mouth but doesn't grab try removing the spacers on the clear roof plastic at the front of the ramp. This is there to make sure the ball trips the ramp optic in order to fire the mouth magnet.

Anyone know how the physical height adjustment on the vertical motor bracket works? I got my game today and I have about 50% rejects from the mouth. I did the vertical motor test and when the T-Rex lowers and opens it's mouth it's over 1/2 inch above the ramp, and Keith Elwin's post about this says the jaw should just barely contact the ramp and there's an adjustment on the bracket. I checked the manual and looked at the bracket and I can't seem to see where the adjustment should be made.

#809 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Anyone know how the physical height adjustment on the vertical motor bracket works? I got my game today and I have about 50% rejects from the mouth. I did the vertical motor test and when the T-Rex lowers and opens it's mouth it's over 1/2 inch above the ramp, and Keith Elwin's post about this says the jaw should just barely contact the ramp and there's an adjustment on the bracket. I checked the manual and looked at the bracket and I can't seem to see where the adjustment should be made.

By the way, after playing the game a few times today I'm LOVING it! It's Dino-mite!!!!!!!!!

#810 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Bummer that happened. Just my impression but it seems like this is a different issue than the pooling issue. This seems to be the ball guides and apron tightened to the playfield and then scraping it from vibrations with the ball, so it’s more like the guide and apron are cutting into it. Seems like they really should put washers under those spots to prevent that cutting. I just got mine today and adjusted the guides by the tower so there’s a slight gap now between them and the playfield. I also just put three small black fabric washers in each of the apron screws to lift the apron very slightly off the playfield to prevent that cutting. I used #8x.032 fabric washers I had on hand from experimenting with washers to use on my POTC. Now the apron isn’t contacting the playfield.
Thanks for posting yours. I had the ball guides on my radar to check but wouldn’t have thought of the apron. Here are pics of what I did at the apron.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That seems like a good precaution. With my situation, I would have expected a scrape or scratch. The wrinkles show no sign of adherence to the wood. And they are rigid. Almost like the clear is firmly coating the wrinkles themselves. I would have expected chipping. I'm not sure how a clear coat deforms so rigidly around those wrinkles after it hardens.

#811 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

That seems like a good precaution. With my situation, I would have expected a scrape or scratch. The wrinkles show no sign of adherence to the wood. And they are rigid. Almost like the clear is firmly coating the wrinkles themselves. I would have expected chipping. I'm not sure how a clear coat deforms so rigidly around those wrinkles after it hardens.

Yeah, so many variables on this stuff it's difficult to pin it down - art adherence, clear, & overtightening thin edges contacting the playfield. Seems like it's probably some combination of at least a couple of those. Hope you have better luck from here on.

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

So the weird thing is that the rippled and peeled paint seems rock hard in that rippled shape. I'm sure the paint wouldn't ripple along the apron edge, and then they'd clear coat it afterward... But how does it ripple with a fully dry clear coat?
I suppose if the clear coat was soft, and the surface got pulled when they installed the apron, it might wrinkle the paint, and then when the clear cures, it stiffens up the wrinkles? I'm just speculating. I would have thought poor adhesion would just cause it to chip away. But to ripple and then get hardened in that shape? Weird.
Anyone think a green sharpie would fix this up? Maybe they'll send me one when they send the missing parts they forgot to install on the playfield.

I feel your pain. Please let Stern and your disto know, your game should not have come like that and they should look after you. Please let us know how you go. Stern need to know about every stuff up so they can do something to get the stuff ups sorted.

Sharpies are a last resort and it does work with UV nailpolsih clear, but not on a new game, on a 10 year old one maybe.

#813 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I feel your pain. Please let Stern and your disto know, your game should not have come like that and they should look after you. Please let us know how you go. Stern need to know about every stuff up so they can do something to get the stuff ups sorted.
Sharpies are a last resort and it does work with UV nailpolsih clear, but not on a new game, on a 10 year old one maybe.

Ditto!! pinballaddicted is so right! This really needs to be addressed by Stern in a very big way.

#814 4 years ago

JP2 LE # 269 checking in! Perfect out of the box. Amazing game.

76686721-19EC-4972-8C1C-63BD24D141E0 (resized).jpeg76686721-19EC-4972-8C1C-63BD24D141E0 (resized).jpeg83CC2E96-E7D2-4580-8F1D-F2182DE0ACBC (resized).jpeg83CC2E96-E7D2-4580-8F1D-F2182DE0ACBC (resized).jpeg
#815 4 years ago

Sounds like premiums on the line next week!

#816 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I'm at a loss now. I looked over the playfield more carefully this time. I'm guessing there isn't a fix for peeled paint. 22 games in.[quoted image]

Excellent stern quality. Damn.

#817 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I love my JP2 LE. I really do. Despite the issues I had. I played it today and a washer rolled down the playfield and settled by the left out-lane. I turned off the game. Looked to see where it may have come from, and found three bubbles/blisters in the gloss without even really looking for such things. This is a rough start for me. (You will need to view the pictures in actual size to see it clearly)
[quoted image]

I think that washer goes on the T-Rex NUTZ ..

#818 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Sounds like premiums on the line next week!

Heard they got the wood from here:

abandoned-astro-city-cabinets (resized).jpgabandoned-astro-city-cabinets (resized).jpg
#819 4 years ago

Curious about flavored bats? Green looks pretty fantastic, and black isn't bad either. Gettting my LE next week sometime... Excited!!!!!

JP_FlipperColor (resized).jpgJP_FlipperColor (resized).jpgJP_FlipperColorsb (resized).jpgJP_FlipperColorsb (resized).jpg
#820 4 years ago
Quoted from Flare:

Curious about flavored bats? Green looks pretty fantastic, and black isn't bad either. Gettting my LE next week sometime... Excited!!!!![quoted image][quoted image]

I'm liking the green!

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I'm at a loss now. I looked over the playfield more carefully this time. I'm guessing there isn't a fix for peeled paint. 22 games in.[quoted image]

Geez that's awful. So much for thinking they had done anything more than try to remove art around the posts. The art still doesn't stick at all and the clear sucks.

And since it obviously happened during assembly it shows they're putting the thing together while the PF is still soft and then hoping it will correctly harden later.

They'll probably send you a new pop PF. Hopefully you'll talk to Chas on the phone and send him the pics as he's been great to me. You'll still have the wonderful hassle of sending back the old one after spending that much cash.

But there's obviously no final inspection of the product (other than a cursory "turn it on") let alone a visual inspection.

Since the warranty is a joke leftover from coin op times the customer is completely dependent on the current "benevolence" of the company. Personally I would never want to be in that position again.

Still I'm happy for the hobby that others are bold enough to roll the dice. I'm sure most of them will turn out fine. I don't mean that sarcastically either.

#822 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

yup. Ball can't touch that spot and "vibrations" wouldn't cause it to tear open so dramatically. If the clear was the usual decent quality (and actually cured) you could slam in that apron during assembly and be hard pressed to find a scratch.

#823 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Top down view[quoted image]

I have the same exact thing going on with a beatles I just bought with zero games played. it's on both sides though, one much worse then the other.
I've overlooked other playfield defects, but got with my dealer and stern on this one. I'm not holding my breath but you never know.

Guess it's time to remove the artwork from the apron area now.

#824 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

I have the same exact thing going on with a beatles I just bought with zero games played. it's on both sides though, one much worse then the other.
I've overlooked other playfield defects, but got with my dealer and stern on this one. I'm not holding my breath but you never know.
Guess it's time to remove the artwork from the apron area now

Pics??

#825 4 years ago

Gawd this has me on the fence... I've got a great distributor and have a deposit in on a JP Premium, but these issues seem to be really piling on... I'm new to the hobby with 6 months of playing and purchased a now perfect (small wiring issue initially) SW Premium NIB Feb 19 build and no issues after putting over 3000 games in it (yeah) I'm addicted and SW games can be short ... But man o man,... I want to support Stern and keep the order in, but would just love to hear something from them official to quell the fires and put my mind at ease.... It seems everytime I login to pinside, I see a new horror show

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Gawd this has me on the fence... I've got a great distributor and have a deposit in on a JP Premium, but these issues seem to be really piling on... I'm new to the hobby with 6 months of playing and purchased a now perfect (small wiring issue initially) SW Premium NIB Feb 19 build and no issues after putting over 3000 games in it (yeah) I'm addicted and SW games can be short ... But man o man,... I want to support Stern and keep the order in, but would just love to hear something from them official to quell the fires and put my mind at ease.... It seems everytime I login to pinside, I see a new horror show

Your in for a Premium, no rush on those, Stern produce titles normally for about 2-3 years so hold or cancel your order, play the hell out of your SW and wait until Stern have this playfield issue sorted then order worry free, why take the risk when you don’t have to?

#827 4 years ago
Quoted from catchlight:

What did you use exactly to hook the Polk up to the pinball machine?

3038E68A-0EE3-4897-8B4F-F921FC50AF06 (resized).jpeg3038E68A-0EE3-4897-8B4F-F921FC50AF06 (resized).jpeg0785B6FE-5382-4FDB-950D-4D55CC2DC963 (resized).jpeg0785B6FE-5382-4FDB-950D-4D55CC2DC963 (resized).jpeg191AF753-6AE0-4B5A-879C-B29D4385BFA9 (resized).jpeg191AF753-6AE0-4B5A-879C-B29D4385BFA9 (resized).jpeg3128BFD7-41E8-46CA-B3D8-B57D0591EE1F (resized).jpeg3128BFD7-41E8-46CA-B3D8-B57D0591EE1F (resized).jpeg02865601-1A25-4E2D-8AA1-AB62D5430870 (resized).jpeg02865601-1A25-4E2D-8AA1-AB62D5430870 (resized).jpegCF0F6DCD-20B9-452C-8B73-8801115AE69C (resized).pngCF0F6DCD-20B9-452C-8B73-8801115AE69C (resized).png
#828 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Gawd this has me on the fence... I've got a great distributor and have a deposit in on a JP Premium, but these issues seem to be really piling on... I'm new to the hobby with 6 months of playing and purchased a now perfect (small wiring issue initially) SW Premium NIB Feb 19 build and no issues after putting over 3000 games in it (yeah) I'm addicted and SW games can be short ... But man o man,... I want to support Stern and keep the order in, but would8 just love to hear something from them official to quell the fires and put my mind at ease.... It seems everytime I login to pinside, I see a new horror show

I completely understand your viewpoint. As troubled as I am by this, I don't regret buying it. For me, personally, I look at it like having a paint chip on a Lamborghini. I'm glad I get to own one, even if it is imperfect.

I'm not going to let Stern off the hook, though.

#829 4 years ago

Hey has anyone noticed the metal helicopter blades hitting the metal rail there and if so any solution. I didn't really notice it until it got wedged while I was playing once and when I went in and manually tested it it grazes the metal rail over and over. i'm a little hesitant to bend or twist it cause it seems like it is made to be evenly weighted

#830 4 years ago

#831 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Hey has anyone noticed the metal helicopter blades hitting the metal rail there and if so any solution. I didn't really notice it until it got wedged while I was playing once and when I went in and manually tested it it grazes the metal rail over and over. i'm a little hesitant to bend or twist it cause it seems like it is made to be evenly weighted

A pinsider addressed the issue you’re having with the helicopter to Stern. Stern said it was not a good idea to adjust the helicopter but to rather try and bend the wire form so that it does not touch but do so carefully.

#832 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Mine had that issue . Stern's official response was to bend the wire form down and away from the blade

Be careful though. It is tough to bend and it is screwed into a single post above the right bumper that can bend if you put too much pressure on the wire-form.

#833 4 years ago

Stern has offered to send me a clear touch-up kit. Does anyone know if that will help mitigate this?

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg
#834 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Stern has offered to send me a clear touch-up kit. Does anyone know if that will help mitigate this?[quoted image]

Not even close!

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Stern has offered to send me a clear touch-up kit. Does anyone know if that will help mitigate this?[quoted image]

What a joke...a touch up kit? They don't deserve our money anymore for their inflated priced paper mache pinball machines and poor response to obvious defects.

#836 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

that's not a clearcoat issue. I'd demand a new PF.

#837 4 years ago

I do finishes for a living. There is no fix for that other than a new populated play field. Period

#838 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

No man, that is not acceptable. Politely stay firm, and don't get aggresive with them, but keep calmly stating that you need a populated playfield swap.

#839 4 years ago

That's just wrong

#840 4 years ago

Wow... To most of us an nib purchase is a huge
decision and a large outlay of money.Hell I'm ocd about
My old pins looking good and playing good. Not worth
the headache/heartache right now to buy nib stern/jjp.
I'm actually looking at selling my Gotg pro and getting
a cgc afm. I hope they come back with a better response
to your defects. We all deserve at least that when buying new.

#841 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

Stern has offered to send me a clear touch-up kit. Does anyone know if that will help mitigate this?

From a legal standpoint, if you accept this as compensation, you lose the ability to make a claim for the playfield in the future. Similar to accepting cash on the street for an auto accident - in the eyes of the law, the issue is “settled.”

#842 4 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have got several other NIB Stern's in the past, but this problem is completely new to me -- so I appreciate the guidance. I haven't heard back from their QC people yet. This might have just been my Stern contact person offering what he could while we wait for their response. In which case I appreciate the gesture. I don't think they have made any final decisions yet. And I know I haven't. So I'm not ready to call this their offered resolution just yet. I also haven't spoken to my distributor yet (but will today). I'll keep you all posted if I hear anything else from them.

#843 4 years ago
Quoted from mslow:

JP2 LE # 269 checking in! Perfect out of the box. Amazing game.[quoted image][quoted image]

I hope mine comes with a blonde.

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

FWIW I've dealt pretty extensively with their customer service before and if you're polite and communicative they will make it right. I'll bet you've got a free populated playfield coming.

#845 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

It's a tight design because the ball has to contact the blades in order to spin them, the ramp can be nudged to the right a little and should stay out of the way.

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from buffetboy88:

FWIW I've dealt pretty extensively with their customer service before and if you're polite and communicative they will make it right. I'll bet you've got a free populated playfield coming.

Thanks for sharing that experience. I've had interactions with many companies over the years and Stern has always been exceptional in my mind. It is disappointing to have issues, but I do believe they care enough to figure this out. I have every reason to think that I'll have a great game when all the dust settles. Not having been through something like this before (and with my first LE, no less!) I had no idea what to even expect out of this process. Pinside has been very helpful in this regard.

#847 4 years ago

What's the verdict on the moving helicopter blades? Does it add much to the game/rules? Do you think it's a worthwhile addition over the Pro?

#848 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

What's the verdict on the moving helicopter blades? Does it add much to the game/rules? Do you think it's a worthwhile addition over the Pro?

I like the visuals, but the sound effects add a lot too. I'm not sure if the pros have the sound effects or not.

In my mind, it is the difference between a decoration and interactive element.

#849 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The raptor pit is the big gameplay change between the two. The other bits are just nice extras.

#850 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I like the helicopter blades a lot more than I thought I would. Before getting the game I thought the feature looked worthless, but the lighting and sounds added to it are great. I'm not sure how it plays into scoring yet though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 9,218 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 185.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/welcome-to-the-jurassic-park-le-club/page/17?hl=vinnie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.